Keeping Sam & drafting Sewell at 2 would of been such a great move!

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Considered down voting you for thread title.  Doesn't really have anything to do with the post.

It actually does though.

the idea had by most posters who wanted to keep Darnold was...

A.) trade down

or

B.) take Sewell and put him at RT.

Sam’s name does fit into this equation in some manner despite this being more about positional changes - because Sewell would of had to make one in NY as he is in DET. You cannot get one without the other in that scenario and both would of been awful ideas.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

Drafting Sewell as a RT in order to hold  onto Darnold is possibly the dumbest thing we could have done. I would take him if it made sense but if we were keeping Darnold, you trade out of the second spot, you don't draft a LT and convert him. If you get him after the trade down, that's a different story. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Drafting Sewell as a RT in order to hold  onto Darnold is possibly the dumbest thing we done. I would take him if it made sense but if we were keeping Darnold, you trade out of the second spot, you don't draft a LT and convert him. If you get him after the trade down, that's a different story. 

Exactly why I couldn’t understand it. Building a wall with two LT’s doesn’t make Sam Darnold read defenses any better, but, more importantly, it would of been a wasted pick on a player who isn’t even playing the position he played at a high level. We would of been banking on several, SEVERAL, different gambles to work out at premium positions and I don’t think we’ll address RT until next year & that’s if Fant sucks really badly.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I was being sarcastic per thread title. I mean the idea of Sewell at 2 and sliding him to RT looks even more ridiculous now, but for reasons that go beyond wanting to keep Darnold. It’s just not logical football to think you can move guys wherever you want along the line & it will work out. We see Sewell admitting to the degree of difficulty, Orlando Brown never wants to go back to RT after experiencing LT, etc.

I don’t know how Vera-Tucker would look there, but you have people advocating we stick him at RT eventually. I just think it was a good opportunity to discuss positional changes from the standpoint of an OL.

If Becton and Vera-Tucker create a dominant left side of the line they would be better served to fill any other slots for upgrades with other FA, Trades, or Draft picks. Hopefully McGovern continues to play moving forward like the end of last year at C where he was getting better and that can even be aided by the left side if it gets as strong as we hope with Becton and Vera-Tucker. Then we can focus on RG/RT moving forward and maybe someone we have on the team can end up as a good starter at one of those positions. Then the other position and depth that needs upgrading can be handled in either FA or more likely with 1 of next years top 4 picks in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I couldn’t resist poking a little fun at the entire idea (including Sam) that many had to begin with.

Thought you were either crazy or jivingus

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Drafting Sewell as a RT in order to hold  onto Darnold is possibly the dumbest thing we could have done.

Heck yeah! Sam needed to go and we go in anew direction.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Weird thread.  Not sure why you're all jammed up about someone's opinion, the Jets traded Sam and took Zach and a G, so like, who cares?  Is this a victory lap because a player said learning a new position isnt easy?  Kind of lame.  It's May.  I'm sure every rookie isnt finding this "easy". Lucky for him, he's got over 3 months to figure it out.

Beats the opinions you get jammed up over.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Thought you were either crazy or jivingus

Heck yeah! Sam needed to go and we go in anew direction.

Sam need to go because of how badly this team handled him. I honestly have no idea if he will be good or bad going forward. We just couldn't risk going forward and him sucking. If Wilson sucks, we just do this whole thing again in 2025

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I was being sarcastic per thread title. I mean the idea of Sewell at 2 and sliding him to RT looks even more ridiculous now, but for reasons that go beyond wanting to keep Darnold. It’s just not logical football to think you can move guys wherever you want along the line & it will work out. We see Sewell admitting to the degree of difficulty, Orlando Brown never wants to go back to RT after experiencing LT, etc.

I don’t know how Vera-Tucker would look there, but you have people advocating we stick him at RT eventually. I just think it was a good opportunity to discuss positional changes from the standpoint of an OL - but I couldn’t resist poking a little fun at the entire idea (including Sam) that many had to begin with.

I agree it’s not easy to make the switch but it’s not insurmountable. It takes work which is what Sewell was saying. He also is embracing it and saying he’ll make it work. Many tackles have played both sides in the past. I would not be surprised if he becomes a very good player on the right side. 

22 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Drafting Sewell as a RT in order to hold  onto Darnold is possibly the dumbest thing we could have done. I would take him if it made sense but if we were keeping Darnold, you trade out of the second spot, you don't draft a LT and convert him. If you get him after the trade down, that's a different story. 

Has we kept Darnold, and if there was a team hell bent on wanting Wilson we could have gotten a good deal for a trade down. But after the 49ers spent most of their high draft assets to get to 3 they were then not a good trade partner. We would have had to trade with some team like the Eagles who did want Wilson but then went a different route.

52 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It actually does though.

the idea had by most posters who wanted to keep Darnold was...

A.) trade down

or

B.) take Sewell and put him at RT.

Sam’s name does fit into this equation in some manner despite this being more about positional changes - because Sewell would of had to make one in NY as he is in DET. You cannot get one without the other in that scenario and both would of been awful ideas.

But there's nothing in the tweet that says Sewell wont become a Pro Bowl RT.  Just that in his mind it's been hard.  Which probably means harder than he expected.

• Upvote 1

QB: Sam Darnold. 

LT: Penei Sewell. 

LG: Vera-Tucker. 

RT: Mekhi Becton. 

WR: Denzel Mims. 

WR: Corey Davis.

Slot: Elijah Moore. 

WR: Jamison Crowder. 

RB: Michael Carter. 

That's one heck of an offense and if Sam couldn't win with A.) That O-Line and B.) Those playmaking PLAYMAKERS?

C.) I'd consider him a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf. 

• Thumb Down 1

Switching can be a problem for tackles. But it's no problem for JetBlue! 

JetBlue customers may make a confirmed same-day switch for a flat fee of $75 (no fare difference applies). A same-day switch can only be made on the day of travel, beginning at midnight in the time zone of your departing flight. 

The same-day switch option is only available in cities with multiple flights a day.

Thank you for considering J to the mother funking B airlines and we sincerely hope that you have a great holiday weekend! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t know how Vera-Tucker would look there, but you have people advocating we stick him at RT eventually. I just think it was a good opportunity to discuss positional changes from the standpoint of an OL - but I couldn’t resist poking a little fun at the entire idea (including Sam) that many had to begin with.

Oh…im shot my bad

JD played this great, period.  Three things that I think should be acknowledged to be fair though:

- I think the draft dynamics would have implied a trade back if we wanted to stick with Sam anyway, which would have meant even more talent than the great haul we got in the draft. 

- I would have no problem taking Sewell at 7 and converting him to RT or moving Mekhi. It's always tough to adapt from college, whether that's learning to play under center vs. pistol or moving from one tackle to the other. It read to me that Sewell was simply not taking anything for granted. In practice, my guess (I haven't searched this) is that a lot of the RTs and Gs in the league played LT in college since it's the premiere position. 

- The Lions, like us historically, are snakebit. So if this were gonna go wrong for anyone it would be them...or us.

He was moved to right tackle due to injury.

You see he was injured during the coach's "depussification" drill.  The player must face the Lion to become pure of heart.  The coach called it becoming "Lionhearted".  Despite his misgivings, Sewell approached the beast and was promptly bitten on the kneecap.  Got the thing torn clean off. 

When the coach was asked about the grievous wound, he declared that "one day he will thank me". 

When a NY Post reporter expressed incredulity at Sewell ever thanking him - the Coach promptly jammed him into a locker whilst chanting in some unknown language.  After slamming the locker door shut, he then faced the rest of the press scrum and asked if there were any other questions.  There were none.

I am told that Mrs Ford - who now owns the team - feinted on the spot upon being shown the tape.  The team refused comment on whether it was after watching the depussification drill or the press conference. 

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I honestly don’t have enough faith in Sam that he would have been anything more than an average starter (best case scenario).

That might get us Wild Card berths here and there, but that’s not getting us Lombardi Trophies.

I don’t doubt that Sam could have been MORE if he had a good start with a real organization, but bad habits have been developed/exacerbated. I wish Sam well in 2022 and beyond (hope he and Carolina lose every game this year for our draft pick status) but we did the right thing moving on. 

i say Sam darnold was a no good from the start cause Sam darnold had no wepones they rushed em instead of make em bench em and make em study which i hop that the jets staff dont start em right away 

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

This Lions are the same team that thought it would be smart to trade Stafford for Gofff, pass on Fields, and are now thinking about bringing in Gurley to go along with a Jamal Williams signing for a team that just drafted Deandre Swift last year. 

Some teams just try their hardest to make life difficult. JD doesn't seem like the type to use a super high premium pick on a player that will  have to learn a new position. 

• Upvote 2