Jets Passing Game Coordinator Gregg Knapp in Critical Condition Following Biking Accident

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.   

I have been tempted to pick up road biking, and everyone says the same thing-it’s not if you will get in an accident, but when and how bad.  But we don’t know if he was road biking or just cruise biking.  

Selfishly, if he cannot return to work it could have a meaningful affect on the Jets’ season and Wilson’s development.  

I hope he is ok. 

It’s a sad situation and hopefully he makes a full recovery. It is concerning that this unfortunate incident could have an affect on Wilson. I was very happy when we hired Knapp and thought he was key to Wilson’s development and success. 

• Upvote 1

Just got this text about five minutes ago - I live in Danville about 15 min away from san Ramon.  These are from my Niner buddies:

Here’s a small world for ya… this accident happened in San Ramon. Our friend Kathy was first on the scene (driving by) and used her car to block traffic from running him over. She stayed with him until the fire truck made it

I was just reading about it - what did Kathy say?  How badly was he f'ed up?

Really bad. Bleeding everywhere with a bunch of broken things

OMG

Wow 

Prayers that he will be ok.

• Sympathy 1

Hope he fully recovers.  A friend of mine, a retired librarian, was hit and killed while walking with her husband in her neighborhood a few years ago. 

I bike about three days a week from spring through fall, and I often (every week or two) have to swerve to avoid a car/truck that either 1. suddenly pulls out of a driveway right in front of me or 2. veers towards me with the driver staring down, probably at a cell phone. This in a fairly quiet subdivision in west Knoxville with a posted 25 mph speed limit that most ignore.  Similar stuff when I walk/jog.  We have no sidewalks, but I do stay as far to the left as possible when on foot.

Distracted driving seems to be at an all-time high around here, especially due to cell phone use in the car.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, PavlovsDogs said:

Just got this text about five minutes ago - I live in Danville about 15 min away from san Ramon.  These are from my Niner buddies:

Here’s a small world for ya… this accident happened in San Ramon. Our friend Kathy was first on the scene (driving by) and used her car to block traffic from running him over. She stayed with him until the fire truck made it

I was just reading about it - what did Kathy say?  How badly was he f'ed up?

Really bad. Bleeding everywhere with a bunch of broken things

OMG

Wow 

Prayers that he will be ok.

He's still in a coma, bro.  Needs lots of prayers right now.

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Awful.

Shows how fragile we all are. Hope he pulls through.

I agree.....

Life can change in an instant, and hence the reason why we have to do our best to enjoy the life that is in front of us....... Right Now.

Prayers for him and his family......

• Upvote 2

"Greg is an amazing father and husband whose passion for life can be felt in all his interactions with people. He is our rock and biggest supporter, pushing us to all strive to better ourselves each day with constant love and inspiration. While many know him for his achievements as a coach, his impact as a father and husband are far greater. We are so fortunate to have him in our lives. We are sincerely thankful to all those who have continued to reach out and provide support – it has meant the world to us. We ask that you continue to pray for Greg and our family during this time."

Statement from Coach Saleh:

"Greg is such an amazing individual it is hard to imagine the challenge facing him and his family. Greg's fun nature, kind disposition, and wealth of knowledge has allowed him to make genuine connections with all of our coaches, players and staff since he has been here. I ask that you keep him in your prayers as we all pull for him to recover from this horrific accident."

• Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

If he's still in a coma? Not good. He's already lost too much oxygen to the brain and even if he wakes up unfortunately he'll be a vegetable ? I'm fearing the worst all we can do is ?

That's not true.  People do recover from comas.  But yeah, he's got a very tough road ahead and needs prayers to get through this.  It's horrible. 

• Upvote 2

Ray Allen also was just in a biking accident with serious injuries and he said the helmet saved his life. I've started citibiking around New York the last few months and have ridden without a helmet, but I think it's now officially time to get one. I hope Greg pulls through. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

It's time my friend!

A Peloton customer enjoying the Bike in their home.

Pretty much what I do now.  Bike mounted on a smart trainer with an app that allows me to virtually ride just about anywhere in the world.  Cheaper than a Peloton and I think it is a more realistic riding experience. 

I still miss riding outdoors and think about heading back outside every now and again, but then whenever I hear a story like the one today, I stick to the trainer in the basement.

33 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Hot take -- texting and driving should be punished almost as seriously as DUI. 

Agreed. Distracted driving is a problem.  

On the other hand, there are some places/roads that are no place for bicycles.  Bicycles should not be on busy roads or two lane roads with no bike paths.  Driving is hard enough than to have to worry about bicyclists who think they are driving cars and sharing the road with cars. Find a safe place to ride.  I live in a semi-rural area with windy 2 lane roads and I can't tell how many times I round a turn and there is a bicyclist in his/her "Tour de France" outfit riding in the car lane going 15-20 mph in a 30 mph zone.  They don't belong there and are a hazard to themselves and the drivers.  

• Upvote 3

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to Knapp. It sounds unfortunately serious.  

This has the potential to have a greater impact on the Jets season than Marcus freakin Maye and other personnel matters.   I hope there is a plan B.  Knapp was the  best offseason coaching hire besides Saleh.  Coaching is the most important factor in football and the Jets now have a big hole in the CS.

Best wishes to Mr Knapp. Hope and pray for a full recovery. If Mr Knapp was here 3 yrs ago, we might be talking about the new toys Sam has to throw too, and not Zack. Hopefully Zack will be able to draw on Knapps wealth of experience teaching  QB's how to succeed in this league

• Upvote 1

Jets Assistant Coach Greg Knapp Critically Injured in Bike Accident: He 'Deserves a Miracle'

JULY 20, 2021

Greg Knapp, a Super Bowl-winning assistant coach who recently joined the New York Jets, was critically injured in a bicycle accident in California.

Knapp, 58, was riding his bike on Saturday in San Ramon when a motorist swerved into the bike lane and struck him from behind, his wife Charlotte Knapp tells PEOPLE.

He was rushed to San Ramon Regional Medical Center, and later transferred to John Muir Medical Center in critical condition, according to NBC News and NBC affiliate KUSA.

"My husband is one of the greatest humans I have ever known," Charlotte says. "Aside from being an incredible coach and friend, and touching the lives of so many, I think his greatest achievement has been his devotion to being an amazing husband and father."

She continues: "The love he has for his family is unparalleled. We have three beautiful girls between the two of us, and they are three of the luckiest young women to have him behind them as their biggest cheerleader. He is a bigger-than-life man, and deserves a miracle if God is willing to bless him and us and that."

Jeff Sperbeck, his agent, told NBC News that Knapp, an avid bicyclist, lives in Danville during the football offseason. He said the driver who struck Knapp stopped to render aid.

A preliminary investigation found that drugs and/or alcohol were not a factor, and the driver is cooperating with police, the San Ramon Police Department said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

"I want to thank all the people who have reached out to me and the rest of our family with so much support and love. I just ask that he be kept in prayer," Charlotte Knapp says. "I encourage everyone to remember to tell your people you love them and hug them. Let go of petty, [because] life has the ability to change at a moment's notice."

In his nearly 25-year career, Knapp has served as quarterbacks coach for teams like the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos, the latter of which he won a Super Bowl with in 2015 with Peyton Manning.

He was hired by the Jets this offseason and has been working with rookie Zach Wilson, whom the Jets selected as the second overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft.

"Greg is such an amazing individual it is hard to imagine the challenge facing him and his family," Jets head coach Robert Saleh said in a statement. "Greg's fun nature, kind disposition, and wealth of knowledge has allowed him to make genuine connections with all of our coaches, players and staff since he has been here. I ask that you keep him in your prayers as we all pull for him to recover from this horrific accident."

https://people.com/sports/jets-assistant-coach-greg-knapp-critically-injured-in-bike-accident/

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Can you imagine DWC as a Doctor?  By the time he stops showing pictures and talking youre sure to be dead

Or want to be dead

In my operating room? We have several elite nurse talents. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

What are you talking about?  Being in a coma doesnt mean his brain is being deprived of oxygen or mean that he'll be a vegetable.

I was just going to respond to that. He should STFU about predicting outcomes in a case he knows nothing about. Like waking up a vegetable. That's ban worthy.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

If he's still in a coma? Not good. He's already lost too much oxygen to the brain and even if he wakes up unfortunately he'll be a vegetable ? I'm fearing the worst all we can do is ?

Thanks, Doc.  Did you send this response off from the ICU?

• Upvote 2