Jets Passing Game Coordinator Gregg Knapp in Critical Condition Following Biking Accident

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Following this thread like, “maybe he can survive… ?” Just so tragic. 

Unfortunately, and I apologize if this is morbid, in cases where the family has decided to end life support (which was suggested last night) you get people like Knapp’s friend who don’t realize what type of microscope they are under.  My guess is that the initial reports were accurate and, in his grief, his friend paid tribute to him before he had actually passed on.  I see and hear about it all too often in the medical field.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

Some stupid ******* a$$hole had to answer the phone....or text someone....or share a ******* meme....Or maybe had to **** with the radio or get something from the glove compartment, and now someone is dead.  I've dealt with this more times than I can remember right now. Assholes driving distracted, texting, drunk, or just in a hurry and somebody dies, because we are a nation of selfish, self centered ****s that think the world revolves around them. 

I'm so ******* pissed off about this, and I don't even know why. I didn't know Coach Knapp, wasn't his friend, but this story has me infuriated and sickened. 

Sorry.  I'm just mad right now, and sad for a life taken early in a senseless and pointless accident that was completely preventable. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 3

22 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They were working to notify some family before the word got out publicly.  They didn't want some distant relatives and friends finding out via Twitter, the news, etc.  That's really the only reason for some back-and-forth on this about being official, but it's kinda been known for 24 hours, maybe longer, that he wasn't going to make it.  I had heard a few hours ago that it was really just about a decision from the family and that he was already essentially gone.  It's heartbreaking.  My mutual friend of his is devastated.  She just had lunch with him two weeks ago.  RIP Greg.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Accidents happen man but my heart goes out to the driver. He didn't kill this man on purpose. My friend she got into a motorcycle accident and the man who struck her was so distraught he still to this day refuses to ever drive again and it wasn't his fault it was an accident bro and this man who struck Knapp feels 1,000,000 times worse than any of us could ever feel. Because he's the one who had an encounter with him ?

My mom is blessed to be alive she was hit head on by a kid who went to the same Church as my mom he was only 20 years old he fell asleep behind the wheel (no drugs or alcohol was found in his system) he crossed the median and hit my mom head on my mom's car flipped multiple times and ended up in a ditch on Ulmerton Rd. and my mom escaped with a broken knee and he passed away ? still to this day 15 years later my mom writes him a personal letter because on that day they met one another ? and even though she did nothing wrong she had survivors guilt and questioned herself for leaving work early or not staying after work late ?

The last thing any of us should be doing is blaming the driver he needs all of our prayers too man because this is absolutely eating him alive right now!

I've been responding to these calls for 2 decades. 24 year old, mid-day, 99.9% it was a distracted driver.

• Upvote 3

New York Jets assistant coach Greg Knapp, who tutored some of football's most noted quarterbacks, died Thursday after a bicycle crash last week, his agent confirmed.

Knapp, 58, was an avid cyclist who was riding Saturday in San Ramon in Northern California when a motorist swerved into the bike lane and hit him, said his agent, Jeff Sperbeck.

He never regained consciousness and died Thursday surrounded by his wife, his three daughters, his mother and his brother.

"Greg's infectious personality is most people's first and lasting memory of him," Sperbeck said in a statement. "The phrase 'he never met a stranger' encapsulates Knapper's zest for life. He had a unique gift to make everyone feel special, and to Knapper, they all were."

The coming season would have been Knapp's first with the Jets. He and new head coach Robert Saleh were hired in January in a staff shake-up in hope of ending the franchise's five straight years of losing records.

Saleh offered his condolences to Knapp's family, saying Knapp was able to deeply connect with people even in his short time with the Jets.

"Greg had such an inner peace about him that people always seemed to gravitate towards," Saleh said. "He lived life in a loving way that helped him connect with people from all walks of life in a unique way."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/obituaries/jets-assistant-coach-greg-knapp-dies-following-bicycle-crash-n1274804

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I've been responding to these calls for 2 decades. 24 year old, mid-day, 99.9% it was a distracted driver.

Please don't act and pretend as if you've never been distracted behind the wheel because we all have just be thankful nothing like this ever happened to us. 

But to call the driver a stupid a$$hole imo is absolutely disgusting of you when this man needs our prayers just as much as anyone because it's 100% eating him alive right now. To know that another man passed away and died is eating him alive and he deserves our prayers right now; not to be attacked. 

And who knows who was actually the one "distracted"?  Were you there? Have you read the police reports? Who are you to say who was the one distracted? 

Rest in heaven coach my prayers are with your family man ??? and prayers for the driver who now has survivor remorse and guilt ???

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Some stupid ******* a$$hole had to answer the phone....or text someone....or share a ******* meme....Or maybe had to **** with the radio or get something from the glove compartment, and now someone is dead.  I've dealt with this more times than I can remember right now. Assholes driving distracted, texting, drunk, or just in a hurry and somebody dies, because we are a nation of selfish, self centered ****s that think the world revolves around them. 

I'm so ******* pissed off about this, and I don't even know why. I didn't know Coach Knapp, wasn't his friend, but this story has me infuriated and sickened. 

Sorry.  I'm just mad right now, and sad for a life taken early in a senseless and pointless accident that was completely preventable. 

The bike lanes all over CA are top notch and I used to ride them a lot, but there are certain areas I just won't go on anymore at all. Even with the lanes clearly marked I see people swerve into them all the time, it's terrifying. If I'm riding on streets that have cars at this point if I'm not with a group I'll stick to my Peloton or a trail off the road.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I’m far younger…but I was just looking to get into biking as recently as a week ago.  This whole incident has me re-evaluating that.

It does make you think twice.  Cycling is a great sport, but it can be very dangerous.  If you do decide to get into it, jsut be smart about it.  Always wear a helmet.  And pick and choose your routes wisely.  I still ride, but after a couple of crashes (neither involving a car) I no longer ride on the roads.  It is either driving to a bike trail or more often, riding my bike on a trainer in the safety of my basement.

After crash #2 about 2 years ago, I decided it wasn't worth the risk to ride on the roads anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

RIP Coach Knapp. What's mind boggling to me is that there are thousands of motor vehicle related deaths every year, this is only one.  It's infinitely safer to fly in a plane than it is to get to the airport!   Cool video I just watched about Waymo autonomous vehicles. Something like this might just  have saved Knapp's life.   Sorry for hijacking this thread a bit.

8 minutes ago, pfilippone said:

RIP Coach Knapp. What's mind boggling to me is that there are thousands of motor vehicle related deaths every year, this is only one.  It's infinitely safer to fly in a plane than it is to get to the airport!   Cool video I just watched about Waymo autonomous vehicles. Something like this might just  have saved Knapp's life.   Sorry for hijacking this thread a bit.

No way in hell I would trust a computer to drive me around.

10 minutes ago, pfilippone said:

Driverless cars are here and only getting better.  Extremely interesting/difficult questions about built-in ethics.  Does the car hurt a pedestrian if it means protecting the driver?

20 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Please don't act and pretend as if you've never been distracted behind the wheel because we all have just be thankful nothing like this ever happened to us. 

But to call the driver a stupid a$$hole imo is absolutely disgusting of you when this man needs our prayers just as much as anyone because it's 100% eating him alive right now. To know that another man passed away and died is eating him alive and he deserves our prayers right now; not to be attacked. 

And who knows who was actually the one "distracted"?  Were you there? Have you read the police reports? Who are you to say who was the one distracted? 

Rest in heaven coach my prayers are with your family man ??? and prayers for the driver who now has survivor remorse and guilt ???

I'm an avid cyclist. Obviously you are not. 

I am HYPER-aware of what is going on around me while I am cycling as I am a bag of flesh riding around on a piece of plastic or aluminum. I am being passed, on average, at 30+ MPH by people riding in multi-ton, steel/aluminum vehicles. The victim-blaming assigned to the former of us (it was just an accident, they were distracted, etc) really needs to stop. There is a huge responsibility that comes with operating a motor vehicle, not the least of which is to do so in a safe manner. Your last couple of posts do nothing to fix the problem and only exacerbates it by continuing a narrative of "sh*t happens." Awful.

My condolences to the entire Knapp family on losing their patriarch for want of riding a bicycle. 

“When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.”

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

I am HYPER-aware of what is going on around me while I am cycling as I am a bag of flesh riding around on a piece of plastic or aluminum. I am being passed, on average, at 30+ MPH by people riding in multi-ton, steel/aluminum vehicles. The victim-blaming assigned to the former of us (it was just an accident, they were distracted, etc) really needs to stop. There is a huge responsibility that comes with operating a motor vehicle, not the least of which is to do so in a safe manner. Your last couple of posts do nothing to fix the problem and only exacerbates it by continuing a narrative of "sh*t happens." Awful.

My condolences to the entire Knapp family on losing their patriarch for want of riding a bicycle. 

“When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.”

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

Me my daughter and my wife go bike riding every Saturday and Sunday morning but we bike ride @ different nature trails and big parks. Not on busy roads and roads in general. 

but stop ******* acting like I'm advocating motor vehicles taking the lives of bike riders dude I'm simply saying accidents happen this teenage didn't mean to take another man's life and us going to haunt him for the rest of his life and he's feeling absolutely lost and sick right now so yes my prayers go out to him as well. 

and you're a freaking LIAR if you say you've never driven while distracted before just be thankful this never happened to you. 

and if where you ride your bike is so damn dangerous maybe it's you who should find a safer place to ride. Like a nature trail or park or something this way semi trucks @ 30-40 MPH you won't have to worry about and vice versa but please don't you dare jump down my throat for feeling bad about this whole situation.

Screenshot_20210723-165700.thumb.png.f5faee17e3d75389e62601b1266616cd.png

That was her first ever bike now she's 10 and rides a mountain bike but as someone who KNOWS the dangers of bike riding in Saint Petersburg (most dangerous place for bikers in United States) I'm not stupid enough to take my daughter my wife or myself on a fkn busy dangerous road when we can ride bikes elsewhere without cars and traffic. I feel sick what happened to coach Knapp but I'm not going to treat the teenager as some type of Devil because of it because the entire situation flat out Stinks. ???

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Me my daughter and my wife go bike riding every Saturday and Sunday morning but we bike ride @ different nature trails and big parks. Not on busy roads and roads in general. 

but stop ******* acting like I'm advocating motor vehicles taking the lives of bike riders dude I'm simply saying accidents happen this teenage didn't mean to take another man's life and us going to haunt him for the rest of his life and he's feeling absolutely lost and sick right now so yes my prayers go out to him as well. 

and you're a freaking LIAR if you say you've never driven while distracted before just be thankful this never happened to you. 

and if where you ride your bike is so damn dangerous maybe it's you who should find a safer place to ride. Like a nature trail or park or something but don't you dare jump down my throat for feeling bad about this whole situation.

I'm allowed to ride on the road, I follow the rules of the road. Same should be for cars. 

No one is saying that you are advocating for that, so you are projecting or some other sh*t there. And this haunting them for the rest of their life is good, it's called life experience and perspective. 

Whether or not I've been distracted while driving isn't the point here. It's being distracted to the point that you aren't recognizing what is going on around you enough to make up for your distracted state. Again, I am hyper-aware as to what is going on around me; doesn't mean I am perfect, but I try to be while I am operating a multi-ton vehicle. Apparently you don't take the same responsibility. 

Your last comment reeks of victim blaming AGAIN! I ride in NYC, on very familiar routes. I am so in tune with my riding that I know where potholes are, what the traffic patterns are relative to the days of the week and the timing of the traffic lights. Apparently I should be doing more, or just give up riding on my streets as is my right. All so someone isn't inconvenienced while driving a FUKCING car or truck and paying attention to something other than FUKCING DRIVING! Pathetic. 

Aren't you from FLA? Worst rate of cyclist injuries/deaths by motorists, this despite a large cycling population and good infrastructure. But yea, it's the people who are on two wheels at fault. 

• Upvote 4

On 7/23/2021 at 4:26 PM, Jetworks said:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

Great post.

I used to be an avid cyclist.  Rode all over Westchester county solo on the weekends and evenings in the summer.  Loved it.  My wife at the time was terrified, especially after a good friend of hers husband lost his lower leg after being side swipped by a car and almost bleeding out on the side of the road.  She finally convinced me I had to give it up.

In a way I feel like giving up something I really enjoyed and was really good for body and soul was an act of personal cowardice.  On the other hand the reality of distracted and impared drivers on the road can't be ignored.

You're spot on.  The level of rage and distraction on the road today is palpable.  It's way beyong sh*t happens...

RIP

• Sympathy 1

On 7/24/2021 at 11:26 AM, nycdan said:

Maybe this is as good a tribute as we can provide.  This is an interview he gave just a few weeks ago.  His enthusiasm and general sense of joy at what he does really comes through.

I don’t want to be too maudlin about this, but this video just makes me sad.  Sad for what his loved ones have lost and sad for what might have been with the Jets.  He was obviously a nice man, with a good sense of humor, who loved what he did.  He had an intelligent, insightful response for every question.  You can see genuine excitement on his face at times that showed his passion for the game - both for teaching it and for learning from it. 

My sincere condolences go out to both his real-life and Jets families.  I hope that they can find inspiration and strength from the memories of their time with him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, MykePM said:

I don’t want to be too maudlin about this, but this video just makes me sad.  Sad for what his loved ones have lost and sad for what might have been with the Jets.  He was obviously a nice man, with a good sense of humor, who loved what he did.  He had an intelligent, insightful response for every question.  You can see genuine excitement on his face at times that showed his passion for the game - both for teaching it and for learning from it. 

My sincere condolences go out to both his real-life and Jets families.  I hope that they can find inspiration and strength from the memories of their time with him.

It IS sad. I agree that he seemed like such a decent genuine guy. Can’t fake always having a radiant smile like that. 

• Upvote 1