Should Saleh be disciplining the players more in camp?

I've always believed there's a million ways to skin a cat. That's a phrase that explains all different coaching styles can be successful. I really don't care if Saleh is hard or soft on the players, so long as I know he's doing a good job? Rex Ryan was always the players friends and I didn't care because Rex reached serious heights with the Jets. That's what made me believe he was a good coach. I'll test Robert Saleh the same way. If I know the players are willing to run through walls for him then I don't care or question his methods....

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Joe Judge reminds me of my high school football coach in the 70s. That’s how football training camps  are supposed to be run.

You got to break them down and build them back up. Joe Judge will have the most disciplined team in the league this year. 

not true...this is not pp wee football bro. These guys are making millions, its not oh man coach really gave it to us good we better change  now, it more who the f does guys think he is Im blah blah blah. I venture to guess that they weill be  sh*t show all year whole saleh and the jets will be much more diciplined because guys want to play good for the coach, they will buy into his system.

I mean if the jets were highschool team sure that is how you run it. Dont be late to class 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Joe Judge reminds me of my high school football coach in the 70s. That’s how football training camps  are supposed to be run.

You got to break them down and build them back up. Joe Judge will have the most disciplined team in the league this year. 

If they don't all retire on him. They must love Ole Joe the disciplinarian. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I've always believed there's a million ways to skin a cat. That's a phrase that explains all different coaching styles can be successful. I really don't care if Saleh is hard or soft on the players, so long as I know he's doing a good job? Rex Ryan was always the players friends and I didn't care because Rex reached serious heights with the Jets. That's what made me believe he was a good coach. I'll test Robert Saleh the same way. If I know the players are willing to run through walls for him then I don't care or question his methods....

yeah results matter, rex was a great coach for us not only for wins, but also he elevated our roster and talent beyond what was expected. Rex was a good coach, if he had Joe D as the GM he would still be the coach and probably have a ring

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yeah results matter, rex was a great coach for us not only for wins, but also he elevated our roster and talent beyond what was expected. Rex was a good coach, if he had Joe D as the GM he would still be the coach and probably have a ring

I agree. I think Rex fell victim to an incompetent GM. Rex, for all of his warts, and there were many, could often get the most out of the players on the roster. Unfortunately, after some initial success drafting, Tanny was awful. Idzik was even worse. Get Rex a good GM and I believe he'll make a winner.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I agree. I think Rex fell victim to an incompetent GM. Rex, for all of his warts, and there were many, could often get the most out of the players on the roster. Unfortunately, after some initial success drafting, Tanny was awful. Idzik was even worse. Get Rex a good GM and I believe he'll make a winner.

idk if tanny ever drafted well aside from the one first round. but yes. The team fell apart toward the end because of the roster and moves the GM made not because of Rex, that guys gave iteverything he had. his coaching was excellent. His staff and GM was subpar in any measurable way. Imagine if he had Joe D line stay good, add playmakers - rememebr rex made D good but they should not have been, we had zero pass rush. They like to talk about how he blits alot, well that is because what else was he going to do..

Rex made best of what we had but those teams were not super talented - one of our best player was bart scott.. not exactly a HOF

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

9 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

31 negatives for this... You must be going for a record. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

idk if tanny ever drafted well aside from the one first round. but yes. The team fell apart toward the end because of the roster and moves the GM made not because of Rex, that guys gave iteverything he had. his coaching was excellent. His staff and GM was subpar in any measurable way. Imagine if he had Joe D line stay good, add playmakers - rememebr rex made D good but they should not have been, we had zero pass rush. They like to talk about how he blits alot, well that is because what else was he going to do..

Rex made best of what we had but those teams were not super talented - one of our best player was bart scott.. not exactly a HOF

The 2009 and 2010 teams were a QB away from going to the SB. Rex always had his team's running th rough walls for him. They loved his bravado and they always tried their damdest to prove him right. The defense didnt like you said get after the QB. But make no mistake, guys like Jenkins, Faneca, Woody, Richardson, Washington among others were ALL better players than Bart Scott. The Jets team in those days was very talented and SB caliber less the QB.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Whoa.

Rex inherited veterans that held each other accountable. They got the best out of each other. Rex simply didn’t eff it up… until he started picking players, and getting nothing out of them.

He was just as incompetent as anyone else in that regime.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

In other words, yelling = good coaching.

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Rex got his guys to play very hard for him on Sundays. But he was so lenient with them, they weren't playing hard Tuesday through Saturday. 

There is a reason he has not latched onto a team and been a generational coach. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, he should not.

I've been to 3 days of camp now and these players are focused, competitive, and blazingly fast.  No goofing around, no daydreaming.  The pace of practice and the focus from the coaches and players is noticeable.

It's working.  Saleh's style is clearly being embraced by the players.  He treats them like men and they're acting like it.

SAR I

FA6503B5-1C2F-4258-926C-5B9A46A6A0A5.gif

• Sympathy 2

13 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Maybe find a photo of Giants fans in the 1970s burning season tickets outside of the stadium because the team sucked so bad.

I remember that game in the late 70's where they held a boycott and most of the stadium was empty.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Shouldn’t they still be doing sprints and push-ups for technical mistakes? I’m just reading about Joe Judge cracking the whip and wondering why Saleh doesn’t seem to do that. Parcells used to run a brutal camp. 

and look how well that has turned out for Judge. 2 players retired in 2 days of being there. 

you cant be Joe Judge or Robert Saleh and get away with the stuff that SB wining coaches do. or even just successful coaches. these 2 guys are brand new with no winning resume. they will lose the vets. 

13 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Shouldn’t they still be doing sprints and push-ups for technical mistakes? I’m just reading about Joe Judge cracking the whip and wondering why Saleh doesn’t seem to do that. Parcells used to run a brutal camp. 

Shouldn't you be posting on bigblueballs.com?

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Rex got his guys to play very hard for him on Sundays. But he was so lenient with them, they weren't playing hard Tuesday through Saturday. 

There is a reason he has not latched onto a team and been a generational coach. 

i believe that wasn't his coaching. its rexs personality. Rex is larger than life. his press conferences will be must see tv. who knows what he will say.

remember he left the Jets and went 15-16 with Buffalo. not great but not bad either, and with Tyrod Taylor at QB. im telling you its his personality. it rubs some people the wrong way.

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

not true...this is not pp wee football bro. These guys are making millions, its not oh man coach really gave it to us good we better change  now, it more who the f does guys think he is Im blah blah blah. I venture to guess that they weill be  sh*t show all year whole saleh and the jets will be much more diciplined because guys want to play good for the coach, they will buy into his system.

I mean if the jets were highschool team sure that is how you run it. Dont be late to class 

Autocorrect is awesome. I can’t stop giggling at pp wee football for some reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:00 AM, SamtheMan14 said:

How do you know he's not? 

Just because he is not running around yelling does not mean anything. 

He could be quietly talking to them in private meetings, adjusting reps according to performance or telling players to go ride a bike and think about what you are trying to get done here.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:00 AM, SamtheMan14 said:

Terrible take and likely will be why Joe Judge is coaching special teams next season.

Not only are these grown men who deserve respect but this is the most dangerous sport out there with the shortest career timeline to make money.  You have to get these guys to the point where the will literally risk serious injury to give 100% towards winning.

There was an interesting story about Mangini and how he really lost the players when he dressed down Anthony Clement who was a really well-respected veteran.  Everyone thinks they can act like Belichik but the truth is he isnt a bad guy.  There are rules that everyone must follow, he practices in bad weather and all season long, and will make examples out of people but he isnt a jerk just to be one, something Matt Patricia and McDaniels learned the hard way and something Judge is gonna learn very soon.

I love Saleh's approach, he genuinely cares for the players as people but isnt a "players coach" like Rex where there are no rules.  He is building an amazing culture here.

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Whoa.

Rex inherited veterans that held each other accountable. They got the best out of each other. Rex simply didn’t eff it up… until he started picking players, and getting nothing out of them.

He was just as incompetent as anyone else in that regime.

except thos veterans he inherited played like sh*t the year prior basically throwing out your point. Rex coached them up.