Jets - Packers Joint Practice Updates 8/18

Lith

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

By all accounts he showed up to training camp in good shape.  He had weight issues last year and even early in the spring, but this just another false narrative.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/28/new-york-jets-mekhi-becton-great/ 

He was fat at the end of the last year, and was even fatter to start this year, likely leading to his Plantar Fasciitis.  It’s not a false narrative.  Dude is a fat guy with problems not being a fat guy.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mogglez said:

Even if that’s the case, sit him because 

A - Hypothetically, he isn’t healthy.

B - He’s hurting the entire offense.

C - That injury was his own fault, likely because he couldn’t keep his weight under control.

It may not be a weight issue, it just could be his foot just isn’t 100%.  Or, maybe his foot is fine but it’s taking him a few weeks to get to where he was at the beginning of last year.  Maybe the coaches believe he needs all of TC to get there.  While we don’t know yet, it’s not good to hear he keeps getting beaten.  I will say it will be interesting to see how/if it changes when tucker gets in there, though a rookie who missed much of TC shouldn’t be the difference.  

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Any word if any of those sacks were - Rookie QB holding the ball too long...type sacks.

Sure didn't sound like it but wondering if anyone heard anything.

Only one of the 7 sacks was credited as a coverage sack.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Personally, I blame @JiFapono.

Ouch.  This hurts.  It hits me square on the feels because the truth is, it was about 25 years ago around this time that I was accepted into the halls of greatness.  One could argue, the stink of the Jets draft woes was so thick that it seeped through my skin and permeated on that campus for 4, ok fine 5, whatever f off 6 years, and all those poor players are now my victims and I would never wish that upon anyone! 

• Haha 3

From the tweets, there seem to be several positives:

1. Bryce Hall did well in coverage,
  2. The DL (I just don’t know if the pressure was consistent or just several plays),
  3. Zach Wilson handled the constant pressure well especially for a rookie and didn’t make any major mistakes against a very good secondary. 
  • Upvote 3

Just now, FidelioJet said:

That's some ugly stuff. 

I wish we could see these practices, because it sounds like Zach is making plays in a tough situation...

Between the pressure and drops - this team isn't helping him.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He was fat at the end of the last year, and was even fatter to start this year, likely leading to his Plantar Fasciitis.  It’s not a false narrative.  Dude is a fat guy with problems not being a fat guy.

Well apparently the coaches were happy with his weight, so go ahead and continue with your rant, but I'm not sure at this point anyone really cares.

If it makes you happy being miserable, you do you.

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

Well apparently the coaches were happy with his weight, so go ahead and continue with your rant, but I'm not sure at this point anyone really cares.

If it makes you happy being miserable, you do you.

If you think the coaches were genuinely happy that Becton showed up at nearly 400lbs, I have a bridge to sell you.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Integrity28 said:

This Becton stuff is troubling. Hope it gets fixed. He wasn’t my guy in that draft, but was fun to root for as a rookie… get it together kid!!!

I absolutely hated him as a prospect, happily ate crow last year, and now am terrified my initial feelings were correct.

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don’t agree with this at all. While AVT coming back is not going to be a cure all, Stuff like this matters in OL play.  If the LG spot is leaky, Becton could be cheating ever so slightly to the inside, whether instructed or just mentally himself.  It doesn’t excuse anything, but that stuff does matter.  OL play, even in pass protection, isn’t simply a bunch of 1 on 1 battles.  It’s far more nuanced then that.

Becton was beat 5 times - and we gave up 7 sacks. Maybe the LG should be helping the LT more as the leak is not coming from the interior... 5 times on 23 pass attempts. 

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I absolutely hated him as a prospect, happily ate crow last year, and now am terrified my initial feelings were correct.

I hated the pick too.

Just thought that body was just too big to hold up and too big to handle speed rushers.

Like you, I was happy with what I saw last year and love him in the running game right now...but if he's just too slow or big to handle guys on the outside - just make him the biggest guard in the history of the NFL....

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It's not just a weight issue. He's so naturally huge, it might take him a millisecond longer to move laterally than others with a more lean frame. A millisecond is all it takes to get beat bu a speed rusher. Inside or outside