Jets trade for Shaq Lawson

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

If you can put up points consistently it’s just about pass rush on defense in today’s NFL. There’s a reason Saleh doesn’t seem to care who is CB’s are. 

The entire back 7 is trash.  Teams take the air out of the ball on teams that can’t stop the run. 
I love Zach but Allen is going to be in the division for years.  I agree we can contend. We need a much better D to make noise in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You think QB hits and knockdowns are separate entirely? 

LOL!

QB hits is when he he touches the QB.

Knockdowns are when he breathes on them and they fall over from his breath.

Two totally seperate stats!

Just now, DetroitRed said:

Pages of debate on Shaq Lawson?  He is an addition who is better than what we have. Nothing special.  What’s the debate?

There is no debate. Shaq Lawson will take the Vinny Curry snaps and will be a part of a rotation. Not a star just a good part of a hopefully good rotation.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The only "fool" is the one who defends Sam Darnold but yet trashes every player on the Jets. 

Shaq Lawson: previous 2 years.

1,055 Defensive Snaps.  

17 tackles for loss.

10.5 Sacks.

18 QB Hurries. 

24 QB Knockdowns. 

36 QB hits. 

53 QB pressures. 

141.5 QB Sacks/Hurries/Knockdowns/Hits/Pressures (combined).

vs. 

Brandon Copeland (2 years as a Jet).

948 defensive snaps.

13 tackles for loss.

6.5 sacks (7 career).

14 QB hurries. 

8 QB Knockdowns. 

17 QB hits. 

29 QB pressures. 

74.5 Sacks/Hurries/Knockdowns/Hits/Pressures (combined).

And only a FOOL would comparing Shaq Lawson to "Brandon Copeland".

Joe Douglas is no "fool".

Let ne out you on ths spot. What Jet player have i trashed. If you can't tell me who that player was, and how i trashed him, then your a fraud who shouldn't be taken seriously by anybody. Beast. Edge rushers don't bounce from team to team. Or get traded for 6th rd picks.

2 minutes ago, docdhc said:

True but giving up the 6th gives him to us under the terms of his current favorable contract. Now we don’t have to negotiate new terms or compete with other teams for his services. Seems worth it to me. 

That’s true.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m not making claims off of this, I’m just noting that DWC doesn’t understand how to read the website he uses to do his statistics.

DWC is trolling.  

Here’s how you read it.  1st round pick who had very few starts in his years in Buffalo.  Low AV which is his value.  4th team in 2 years which means teams don’t want him in the locker as a solid rotational lineman.  The good he’s playing for a contract.  He has talent but has underachieved.  We can unload him at a very low cost if he continues to underperform.  We need bodies on the front line.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

DWC is trolling.  

Here’s how you read it.  1st round pick who had very few starts in his years in Buffalo.  Low AV which is his value.  4th team in 2 years which means teams don’t want him in the locker as a solid rotational lineman.  The good he’s playing for a contract.  He has talent but has underachieved.  We can unload him at a very low cost if he continues to underperform.  We need bodies on the front line.  

Interesting you mentioned his AV.

If I rememer right his AV on Pro football Referevce over the past 3 years is higher then Carl Lawsons.  Go figure

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

DWC is trolling.  

I know this. To be clear my only issue is that DWC and his huge statistical analysis is not great and I’m bored on a Sunday.

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Interesting you mentioned his AV.

If I rememer right his AV on Pro football Referevce over the past 3 years is higher then Carl Lawsons.  Go figure

Last year they were the same.  Carl was consistently hurt and his AV reflects not playing. It’s awful because he wasn’t available.  Shaq was available just wasn’t impactful.  But yes it was better than 1 or 2.  Go figure if you’re hurt and can’t play your value drops. 

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Hopefully he is a decent run defender because while everyone is focused on edge pressure, our run defense hasnt looked great and we need players who can do both.

Im as hopeful as any of us that Huff and Hamilcar can surprise as young speed rushers but neither of them is really ready for a 3 down role in this system, so having Lawson be able to rotate in with JFM and Blair at DE on early downs will be very helpful and we can rotate the young speed rushers in on passing downs.

Go look at the Bills vs Ravens game a couple of years ago. He was a big reason why they bottled Lamar up so well. Not great at getting pressure but good at setting the edge

• Upvote 2

The only hope is that Shaq gets better here. The one thing that gives me hope that he will is that in this defensive scheme the defensive linemen have zero assignments besides getting upfield to the QB. There is very little thinking for them. Sometimes all an athlete needs is to stop thinking in order for him to reach his potential and to be able to really use all of his physical gifts.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Pages of debate on Shaq Lawson?  He is an addition who is better than what we have. Nothing special.  What’s the debate?

No.  As with any ohter topic on the board these last two months or so, it is about 3 or 4 pages of Shaq Lawson debate followed by a thread derailed with crap.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

True but giving up the 6th gives him to us under the terms of his current favorable contract. Now we don’t have to negotiate new terms or compete with other teams for his services. Seems worth it to me. 

Plus he probably doesn’t even sign here if he’s on the open market 

4 hours ago, Larz said:

His wiki has already been updated lol. 

here’s a nugget

Against the Denver Broncos in week 12, Lawson recorded two sacks on quarterback Brandon Allen after Broncos lineman Connor McGovern told Lawson he'd "never heard of him".[23] Lawson finished the season with a career-high 6.5 sacks.[24]

6.5 career high and everyone is acting like they signed a beast. It was for a 6th round pick so it’s a good trade but this doesn’t solve the passrush issue. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

6.5 career high and everyone is acting like they signed a beast. It was for a 6th round pick so it’s a good trade but this doesn’t solve the passrush issue. 

Quinnen Williams had 7 sacks in 2020. 

If Lawson can manage 6.5 in 2021 this will help the D. 

I've got no problem with this move at all, but it definitely is not close to deserving of the hype some are trying to put on it. As a general rule, a guy who has been sent packing off of 2 different mediocre teams in the same offseason, and reportedly about to be cut outright, is hardly some great endorsement.

Plus, the claims of a straight swap of Jordan Willis for Shaq Lawson isn't entirely accurate either.  The Jets traded Willis and a 2021 7th for a 2022 6th.  It's kind of relevant considering the Jets gave up a pick at the very top of the 7th for what will likely be a pick much later in the 6th a year later, ultimately meaning they got absolutely nothing in return for Willis.  If anything, they likely lost value in the deal based on the pick swap alone.  Willis then proceeded to get 2.5 sacks in 7 games under, who you may ask, why Saleh of course, as Lawson got 4 in 14 games (and far more snaps) with MIA.

Don't get me wrong, odds are high he'll still be a better outside rusher than most other options they have, so no reason to hate on the move, but it's also highly unlikely to be some brilliant acquisition either.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Facts said:

Yeah I heard Asman's U tube take on Lawson but what he failed to mention was that Lawson did not want to be on the Texans. He was TANKING - knowing that he would most likely get released and get to choose where he goes. Who wants to play for the Texans and their messed up situations. Lawson will play for Saleh!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Sorry. I counted wrong by 1 and should've used a calculator.  

18 QB Hurries. 

23 QB Knockdowns. 

10.5 QB sacks. 

53 QB pressures. 

36 QB hits. 

=

140.5 QB Hurries/Knockdowns/sacks/hits/pressures. 

You set out on a mission and proved me wrong by 1. 

Happy now?

I was incorrect by 1. You were incorrect by 36 ("104.5").

?

Um...... what?

The pressures "stat" is quite literally the sum of hurries + knockdowns + sacks (and even giving full credit for half sacks).  You're nearly triple counting the numbers at this point.

image.png.e46fdc96250e35d1a4a9b45f8f3f4823.png

• Upvote 2