Jets trade for Shaq Lawson

Rhg1084

17 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I've got no problem with this move at all, but it definitely is not close to deserving of the hype some are trying to put on it. As a general rule, a guy who has been sent packing off of 2 different mediocre teams in the same offseason, and reportedly about to be cut outright, is hardly some great endorsement.

Plus, the claims of a straight swap of Jordan Willis for Shaq Lawson isn't entirely accurate either.  The Jets traded Willis and a 2021 7th for a 2022 6th.  It's kind of relevant considering the Jets gave up a pick at the very top of the 7th for what will likely be a pick much later in the 6th a year later, ultimately meaning they got absolutely nothing in return for Willis.  If anything, they likely lost value in the deal based on the pick swap alone.  Willis then proceeded to get 2.5 sacks in 7 games under, who you may ask, why Saleh of course, as Lawson got 4 in 14 games (and far more snaps) with MIA.

Don't get me wrong, odds are high he'll still be a better outside rusher than most other options they have, so no reason to hate on the move, but it's also highly unlikely to be some brilliant acquisition either.

Thank you, Joe Douglas...thank you?

9 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Wow, lot of analysis here, didn’t think it deserved this much.

serviceable player, cheap cost, desperate need. What more needs to be said?

You could suggest how Shaq Lawson could help hone the abilities of Kenny Yeboah, in a steel sharpening steel kind of way, and the relative merits of that situation and those players. 

That might generate some responses.

New York Jets: Why Shaq Lawson is a low-risk, high-reward addition

Geoff Magliocchetti August 29, 2021

Shaq Lawson doesn’t change the New York Jets’ 2021 outlook, but he can be a solid stopgap in a developmental season.

The New York Jets are fulfilling an offseason promise to put Lawson on their defensive line.

Carl Lawson is done for the year but those designing the Jets’ uniforms can still use the surname’s nameplate. The Jets reportedly welcomed in defensive end Shaq Lawson to the fold on Sunday, sending the sixth-round pick they gained from San Francisco in last year’s Jordan Willis deal. Most recently donning a Houston Texans helmet, Lawson is on to his fourth team after entering the league as Buffalo’s first-round pick in 2016 (immediately before the Jets chose Darron Lee).

Shaq Lawson arrives at an interesting landmark on the Jets’ 2021 timeline. It was previously hinted that the Jets would seek help in the pass rush after Carl Lawson, the Jets’ most expensive offseason acquisition, was lost for the year after rupturing his Achillies during a joint practice in Green Bay. Fellow veteran Vinny Curry was likewise lost for the year after dealing with blood clots. The Jets appeared to have fulfilled that quest with Sunday’s transaction.

What exactly can be expected with Lawson poised to don a green uniform? ESM investigates…

Affordable Redemption

The Jets are desperate enough to write a redemption story for the past decade of fruitless football, much less finally pen a sequel to the Super Bowl III epic. To that end, they can’t concern themselves with co-authoring someone else’s, no matter how talented that player can be. That’s removed them from the conversation on several high-profile stars and, frankly, should’ve steered them away from the expensive Le’Veon Bell gambit in 2019.

Shaq Lawson, at first glance, appears to carry the baggage that a developing team like the Jets should avoid. The Clemson alum has shown flashes but has yet to live up to his first-round billing. New York is his fourth team over the past three seasons and he was playing deep into the second half of the Texans’ preseason contests. His lasting legacy, as of this moment, is perhaps his status as the penultimate premier pick of Buffalo’s ill-fated Doug Whaley era.

But Lawson’s redemption story that the Jets can literally afford to play a supporting role in. If/when the trade is confirmed, the Jets are set to inherit only circa $2 million of Lawson’s salary, with the Texans set to take on nearly $7 million in dead cap. If Lawson were to perform well enough that the Jets want more, his contract allows the Jets to retain him at just under $9 million. Even with the pick from the Willis trade gone, they will have a dozen choices to work with come next spring.

From a football standpoint, Lawson isn’t being called upon to turn the tide in New York. Even with Carl Lawson in tow, this wasn’t going to be a playoff team in 2021. He can work things in relatively peaceful surroundings with the Jets, where defensive storylines will likely linger on Quinnen Williams’ development and what’s going on in the Jets’ secondary. One could argue he had a similar blank slate in Houston, but the Jets seem much more secure in their future (particularly when it comes to comparing the quarterback situations). What Joe Douglas has done this offseason won’t make the Jets a playoff team immediately but he has built a situation that allows the team to take a risk or two in the name of veteran help.

AFC Beast

Lawson potentially enters the Jets in a bit of a prickly situation: the Jets’ preseason slate wrapped on Friday night, giving him just two weeks to cram the Jets’ playbook before they open against Carolina on Sept. 12. But despite Lawson’s lack of a true NFL impact so far, he appears to be on a bit of an upswing.

Whereas the departed Carl Lawson’s hype was partly built on advanced pressure numbers, the incoming Shaq has tried to make a name for himself through more conventional means, traditional numbers that have been sorely lacking in New York in recent times. Lawson has earned 10.5 sacks over the last two seasons, including 6.5 during his final year in Buffalo in 2019. In comparison, only one player (Jordan Jenkins) has reached double-figures in sacks, falling just short of Lawson’s mark with 10. He won’t fully replace the pressure that the unrelated Carl brought in Cincinnati but he is a well-traveled pressure artist in his own right, earning 77 pressures over the last two seasons with the Bills and Miami Dolphins.

Lawson is coming off a solid, if not uneventful, season with the Dolphins after his career-best campaign in Buffalo in 2019. He’s a better option than free agent question marks like Everson Griffen (who went back to Minnesota after the Lawson injury) and Olivier Vernon and was likely far less expensive than potential trade candidates like Dante Fowler or Chandler Jones. The Jets needed pressure and Lawson, despite his flaws, has been reliable in that regard. As to the potential problems when it comes to a speed course in the New York defense, Lawson got a taste of 4-3 action during his brief time in Houston under defensive coordinator Lovie Smith.

“With this defense, you can just attack,” Lawson said of the 4-3 scheme, per Anthony Wood of SI.com. “You don’t (have) to think about no blocks or anything you’ve got to worry about. I mean, that’s the great part about being in a 4-3 defense.”

Houston head coach David Culley got to witness some of Lawson’s developmental antics as a Buffalo assistant. Asked about his potential to fit with the Texans’ front seven, Culley reminisced about pass-rushing endeavors that have been sorely lacking in green metropolitan circles in recent seasons.

“Shaq was a pass rusher up there,” Culley said, per notes from the Texans. “He’s quick. He has great movement. He’s got a great first step…He plays with good leverage, and he’s got good hands, and basically, what we teach all those guys to do, he has that.”

• Upvote 2

This is not low risk, high reward.  Its shaq lawson.  There is no high reward.  We know who he is as a player.

Joe D had to do something like this as we needed a professional to play the position after lawson got hurt.  

Shaq Lawson stinks and wont provide much.  But the move had to be done after the lawson injury.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is not low risk, high reward.  Its shaq lawson.  There is no high reward.  We know who he is as a player.

Joe D had to do something like this as we needed a professional to play the position after lawson got hurt.  

Shaq Lawson stinks and wont provide much.  But the move had to be done after the lawson injury.  

Not wrong, but he's better than what we had on the roster and is certainly worth a 6th. If he can match his 2019/2020 production - 6 sacks, 20 QB hits - it's a great trade.

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

If this move is to replace Vinny Curry, I’m curious what they do to replace Carl Lawson. 

What can they possibly do at this late stage in the offseason to do that? It was never realistic that they would be able to replace him. You just hope a rotation of guys can mimic what you hoped he would've done. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Salehery said:

With Lawson and Curry done they needed to do something. In a throwaway season you aren’t giving up anything more than a 6th rounder. It was a very reasonable move. Lawson isn’t great but he’s at least a legit NFL player on the edge. 

it is not a throwaway season- parcells had the jets in the AFC championship by now-Joe's team must compete to win-a 3-5 win team on his third year collecting money from the jets(two drafts and three years under contract)

• WTF? 1

Shaq Lawson sees comfortable fit in Texans' 4-3 scheme

Aaron Wilson ,  Staff writer Updated: April 3, 2021 7:03 p.m. Comments

Shaq Lawson (90) sacks Jets quarterback Joe Flacco last season. Lawson is ready to play in the Texans' new 4-3 scheme after being traded to Houston.

Shaq Lawson (90) sacks Jets quarterback Joe Flacco last season. Lawson is ready to play in the Texans’ new 4-3 scheme after being traded to Houston.

Doug Murray, FRE / Associated Press

Shaq Lawson was relaxing for a few days during a trip to Colorado in March. His vacation was interrupted when his phone started ringing on a Sunday morning.

It was an important business call. Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores was on the line.

Lawson had been traded to the Texans in a deal cut between Flores and Texans general manager Nick Caserio, his former colleague with the New England Patriots.

Upon learning he was headed to Houston, Lawson’s emotions shifted from surprise to anticipation.

A veteran pass rusher and run-stopper, Lawson knows the type of defense he’s joining. When Lawson was in Buffalo, which had made him a first-round pick in 2016, he played for defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier in a scheme akin to new Texans defensive coordinator Lovie Smith’s signature 4-3 alignment.

“When I found out it was Houston, it was great to hear because I know what their scheme is, and that’s what coach Smith was bringing back: what I did in Buffalo,” Lawson said by phone from his home in South Florida. “It’s perfect for me, so it’s definitely a win-win. I’ll put my hand down in the dirt and play.”

That has been Lawson’s desire ever since he declared for the NFL draft after a consensus All-America junior season at Clemson in 2015. Cut him loose, and let him do his thing.

As a hybrid outside linebacker-defensive end, Lawson provides a blend of athleticism and power. Capable of bull-rushing offensive tackles or darting around blockers, Lawson, 26, is confident that he’s entering the prime of his career.

“They’re getting the best Shaq Lawson,” he said. “They’re getting the best, the best version of me. I’m going to work hard every day and take pride in everything I do. I’m a young player whose best ball is yet to come, a guy who’s going to bring the energy every day.”

With 140 career tackles, 20½ sacks and one touchdown on a fumble recovery, Lawson should fit in well as a key piece of an overhauled 30th-ranked defense transitioning from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and adjusting to the departure of defensive end J.J. Watt to Arizona and new leadership in Smith.

“Shaq is definitely a good player with the arrow pointing up,” an NFL executive said. “Shaq has some really good juice coming off the edge. He’s instinctive. He hustles. He finds the football fast and he’s tough. I know he’s played hurt before and he doesn’t let that stop him.

“This guy cares a lot about the game and his teammates. I like that move by Nick. Shaq gives the Texans someone they can count on for some production on the outside. I think Shaq can make them better.”

Health is an important element surrounding Lawson. He underwent shoulder surgery as a rookie and missed the first six games of the season. Unlike previous seasons, Lawson said he’s completely healthy heading into this offseason.

“Yeah, I’m feeling great,” Lawson said.

With the Texans coming off a 4-12 season in which former coach and general manager Bill O’Brien was fired after an 0-4 start, Lawson arrives at a time of change in Houston.

The new regime led by Caserio and new coach David Culley has made significant changes to the defensive strategy and added a lot of new faces, including Lawson, defensive tackle Maliek Collins, linebackers Christian Kirksey, Kevin Pierre-Louis and Jordan Jenkins and cornerbacks Terrance Mitchell and Desmond King.

When Lawson came to Houston to take his physical, he met with Caserio and Culley.

“Coach Culley was in Buffalo with me, so he used to hear my mouth talking junk at practice,” Lawson said. “I’ve got a great relationship with those guys, man. I’m glad they wanted me to be here. I’m happy they did. We’ve just got to build trust and get to know each other. Everything is gonna work itself out. I’m not a guy to make predictions and stuff. You just gotta put your head down and work.

“This is another situation for me with a new coach, a new reveal. I experienced that in Buffalo and Miami because they brought in a lot of new guys. With new guys, you meet another new face and get to know new people. You will have your ups and downs together. Every team has adversity. It’s about how you overcome that adversity.”

aaron.wilson@chron.com

If he were to succeed as an effective Pass rushing EDGE, seems like Saleh’s 4-3 should give him the opportunity to just fly to the QB using his natural abilities. He’s got the incentive to produce since there’s no more guaranteed money left on his contract. 

21 minutes ago, kmnj said:

it is not a throwaway season- parcells had the jets in the AFC championship by now-Joe's team must compete to win-a 3-5 win team on his third year collecting money from the jets(two drafts and three years under contract)

Parcells also brought in a plethora of old school veterans of “his guys” from NE along with Belicheck’s Boys from his Browns days: Anthony Pleasant, William Roberts, Vinny Testaverde, Corwin Brown, Pepper Johnson, Ray Lucas, Keith Byars, & Dave Meggett. Along with KEY FA veterans: Bryan Cox, Lorenzo Neal, and Ernie Logan. 

WITH a veteran CS: Weis, Crennel, Grih, Henning, Mangini, Haley, Muir, etc. 

This JD/Saleh team is built completely different and you can’t compare this rebuild Job and how it progresses with Parcells tenure which went with experienced veterans. This is one of the younger teams in the league, you don’t expect it to instantly produce like that ‘97-‘98 overhaul under DaTuna. 

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Talk about sloppy seconds ...

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

What can they possibly do at this late stage in the offseason to do that? It was never realistic that they would be able to replace him. You just hope a rotation of guys can mimic what you hoped he would've done. 

They can trade for Chandler Jones after cutdown day if nothing better* shakes loose. 

*player they like that doesn’t require compensation, or is younger etc.

22 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

They can trade for Chandler Jones after cutdown day if nothing better* shakes loose. 

*player they like that doesn’t require compensation, or is younger etc.

That's not realistic. Your talking a 1st rd pick, at least,  plus $35 million in a new 2 year extension. 

• Upvote 2

Amazing that the Texans reworked Lawson's deal, converting most of his salary into a signing bonus, then traded him for a mere 6th round pick a few months later.

Texans will be paying Lawson $7M to sack QBs for the Jets this year, while we pay him less than a million.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If McGovern plays Center and Lawson is an EDGE, isnt he talking trash to the wrong guy? Wouldn’t the LT or LG be the more appropriate recipient of trash talk for giving up 2 sacks in that game - which represents 12% of his PRO CAREER Sacks total up to that point in time?!? ?

2 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

If McGovern plays Center and Lawson is an EDGE, isnt he talking trash to the wrong guy? Wouldn’t the LT or LG be the more appropriate recipient of trash talk for giving up 2 sacks in that game - which represents 12% of his PRO CAREER Sacks total up to that point in time?!? ?

McGovern played RG as well as C for the Broncos.

18 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

Love it.  Bring this passion to the Jets.  Could this finally be the guy that we have been waiting for.  Maybe, just maybe the light bulb turns on and this guy brings it to the next level.

5 years in the league as 1st Rnd pick and already on his 4th team. History indicates the light should have gone on by now and the fact 2 teams traded him after 1 season and then the other after 5 months, respectively, isn’t a very encouraging sign that he’ll finally “break out” with the Jets. One can hope, but seems unlikely at this point considering all the mentioned factors and the pittance we exchanged for him. 

cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Dick Semen-i

ESPN Staff Writer 

C Connor McGovern and new teammate Shaq Lawson had a confrontation in 2019 after a Broncos-Bills game. McGovern said today that he and Lawson made amends last year at a Jets-Dolphins game. McGovern said their relationship is "cordial" and he called Lawson a "nice addition to the team." In 2019, Lawson screamed at McGovern after a two-sack performance, claiming retribution. He accused McGovern of saying during the game that he didn't know who he was. McGovern remembered it as "good banter."

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
16m

1 hour ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I don't know about that game, but McDermott plays DEs inside a lot. 

Or...the dude was talking to McGovern because that is who said something to him.