SNY post game

tfine

I don't think I'm too excited about our pass rush.  The push up the middle was good, but Lewan went out and they were playing Quessenbery.  The guy is kind of the definition of a fringe player.  We have seen how one weak link lets the floodgates open.  It's about time we could take advantage, but I wouldn't be expecting 7 every week.  They only had 6 through the first 3.  

I am concerned about the lack of turnovers.  I had hoped that playing more zone would lead to more picks.  Usually you can get more when you are facing the ball, but I think they only have 2 so far.  More scary is that when I looked at what went wrong in SF in 2018, beyond Jimmy G's injury, they were futile in the turnover department.  Like world record futile.  Worse than during strike seasons.  Some of that will be because teams were playing with leads, but it probably does not bode well. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

I hear you. I felt the same way. I don't know why some of these guys expect that kind of game from a rookie QB on a team that has questionable talent. They thought the off script throws were not important etc. I think they need a real offensive guy in the room. Colon was just an O lineman. I think Ray Lucus is badly missed and would have given a different perspective regarding Zach and the offense.

does anyone know why they didn't bring him back?

i was a bit surprised as well on the reaction.   But Zach did miss a few big plays that could have ended the game.   but still come on.

56 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think I'm too excited about our pass rush.  The push up the middle was good, but Lewan went out and they were playing Quessenbery.  The guy is kind of the definition of a fringe player.  We have seen how one weak link lets the floodgates open.  It's about time we could take advantage, but I wouldn't be expecting 7 every week.  They only had 6 through the first 3.  

I am concerned about the lack of turnovers.  I had hoped that playing more zone would lead to more picks.  Usually you can get more when you are facing the ball, but I think they only have 2 so far.  More scary is that when I looked at what went wrong in SF in 2018, beyond Jimmy G's injury, they were futile in the turnover department.  Like world record futile.  Worse than during strike seasons.  Some of that will be because teams were playing with leads, but it probably does not bode well. 

we have no INTs.

i agree i would like to see some. but i don't remember us getting INTs like that for a long time.

i remember when we got Bowels people were saying we would have more TO cause he got alot in Arizona but i didn't see it like that.

30 minutes ago, doitny said:

we have no INTs.

i agree i would like to see some. but i don't remember us getting INTs like that for a long time.

i remember when we got Bowels people were saying we would have more TO cause he got alot in Arizona but i didn't see it like that.

Zone usually gets more INT.  Rex wasn't going to see them, unless it was from the safeties.  Gregg Williams wasn't either.  Maybe Bowles would, but he played plenty of man too. 

6 hours ago, tfine said:

Thought the analysis of the win was pretty terrible. You would think they lost. Bart Scott acted like Zach was a 3 year veteran and should’ve played this flawless game. No mention of the young secondary playing well. QW sacks we’re just because of someone else was playing well. Were not impressed with Zachs throws.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Well, maybe someone should tell him if him and his defense along with Sanchez would have showed up in the 1st half of the AFC Title game against Pitt we would have been in the SB. A game he was so hyped to "Can't Wait" for.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

6 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

I hear you. I felt the same way. I don't know why some of these guys expect that kind of game from a rookie QB on a team that has questionable talent. They thought the off script throws were not important etc. I think they need a real offensive guy in the room. Colon was just an O lineman. I think Ray Lucus is badly missed and would have given a different perspective regarding Zach and the offense.

True. Another thing that they need to understand is what I and probably a lot of other Jets fans felt going into this game, was that just Vrabel as HC, Tannehill as QB, and Henry as RB were likely enough to beat the Jets in this game especially the way we had been playing. It's not like Zak beat the Lions. He beat a division leading team that for the past several years has been a SB contender. I am tired of hearing crap about oh they are missing both starting WRs and Edge rusher Dupree. Boo Hoo. Jets are/were missing both starting Safeties, Starting Edge Rusher Lawson and what would have been a rotational DE in Curry. And that is only on D. On O our LT is out as well as what would have been one of our starting WRs in Moore. These clown idiots in the Media only seem to measure these situations week to week, but we are much more injured right now than the Titans are. Then we hear they won TOP, Yards, first downs. Well that wins almost all the time 20-30 years ago, but the NFL these days are exactly how the Jets won which is with chunk plays and why, because you take risk with those plays, but reduce risk with long sustained drives that when they are 8-12 plays generally result in drive killing penalties, turnovers, and drives that result in either low or no points. We got a lot of points out of those chunk plays as all 5 drives had plays that were over 20 yards each (and some over 50 yards) we had that resulted in 3 TDs and 2 FGs were the difference in the game. For the Titans without many big plays it resulted in 3 drives they had to settle for FGs and a few drives because they ran so many plays that the sacks knocked them out of FG range that could have made a difference. Then in OT another example of a sack and then a penalty cost them a sure tying FG since they were inside the 20 where if they were getting bigger plays it also would have not burned up so much clock that also puts pressure on an O to perform. Expecting Zack to be much closer to perfection right now and put games away like this one is a lot to expect. We should all be happy that he runs the offense and minimizes really bad mistakes that are games changers. The INT was due to Davis falling down and that was a throw that the QB has to make before the WR breaks, so it was unavoidable. The fumbled snap he picked up and made a big downfield play to Carter. What I like so far from Zack is that he does have the capability to string big drives together which he did most of this game and in the 2nd half of the Panthers game to give us a chance to win there as well. Quite honestly, with just that small sample I have felt more like he has the potential to be our FQB whereas I can not really say in the 3 years Darnold was here I ever felt that way. He never showed any real consistency stringing a lot of scoring drives together other than maybe a few scattered games here and there mostly against bad teams. Last years wins against the Browns and Rams were mainly those teams didn't think we had a chance against them and the law of averages showed we were going to win a couple games like that and not go 0-16. Maybe the few games he played so well his 1st game of his career against the Lions who had a suspect D with Matt Patricia and perhaps the game he played Dallas after he had Mono, which Dallas almost tied up at the end. They were a decent team. But all other wins were mainly very bad teams like beating the Raiders he did in Gase's 1st season.          

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

it's one game.  it was a win but it wasn't like it was a domination or all facets of the game working.  they showed a lot of good things but also a ton of bad things.  as has been stated they had a few chances in the 4th qtr to win and they let the titans score with 16 seconds left..  and then they avoided a tie because the kicker missed a near gimme..  the big things i saw were that this team can generate a pass rush, something that has been suspect for a few seasons,  and that wilson can make some pretty awesome throws.  of course him needing to go off-schedule can be off putting but some of these can also be integrated into the play book.  and just what else is he supposed to do if the oline continues to have blocking issues.

He doesn't NEED to go off-schedule.  He made plenty of plays from the pocket.  Even still I really am not sure why the rest of the good QB's in the league make plays on the move and they're awesome but Zach does it and it's off putting. Talking about Kyler Murray as an early MVP candidate, but somehow he's not hurting his team going oof-schedule.  

The best and most important play of the game came from the pocket (3rd and 2 to Crowder)

He missed 2 f-ing big throws...otherwise he was very good in the pocket.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

You’re missing the point. It’s like it smacked you in the face and you weren’t aware something smacked you in the face. Despite these flaws that we’re all aware of, the Jets collectively played their asses off and made astonishing strides in playing competitively. That’s what seems to be missing from these rocket science analysts.  The fact that we won, be it no small matter, was just icing on the cake. I’m not going into it in detail since it would take pages and pages. In a nutshell, the defense played much better and kept us close. And the offense finally had a heartbeat.  Was it perfect? Far from it. Win or lose the game or whining a SOJ perspective   isn’t in play here. What’s critical is the improvements and strides the team and coaching staff made. It’s absolutely disgusting (the word used to describe Bart’s comments) and shameful to put down the efforts they made yesterday. These are ex Jets players who you’d think would be smiling ear to ear after the game for being part of an organization they hold so dear. Instead they picked and prodded and complained like rich housewives on some lame ass reality show. They could have lost the game and I’d still be proud how they showed up. Even Lombardi said the one comment he wishes he could take back was Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing,”. He later insisted that he was talking about “the will to win” or “making an effort.”  What we all witnessed yesterday was the will to win.  An intense desire to be better. And when you have that, it translates into opportunity to be great, to win. It’s progress not perfection. 

Great post and our QB started the PC about how e failed to put the game away twice. He gets it. He will have more bad games but they will become fewer  and fewer. Also and this is not a minor thing his team loves him. Both sides. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, tfine said:

Thought the analysis of the win was pretty terrible. You would think they lost. Bart Scott acted like Zach was a 3 year veteran and should’ve played this flawless game. No mention of the young secondary playing well. QW sacks we’re just because of someone else was playing well. Were not impressed with Zachs throws.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Where the hell is Ray Lucas????

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I thought they were spot on. It was a win, but there is stuff to clean up. Self scouting doesn't end because the team wins. There was lots to improve upon. I thought there observation that Huff was failing to help out his LBs by not chipping RBs that passed right by him was important to their point that doing all of the little things that help your teammates is how the whole team improves its performance.  

Yes, all true, but maybe Huff was not losing the focus of doing mainly what we need him for, the pure Edge rushing this team has lacked for so long. You ever see Gastineau chip RBs or do anything other than pure pass rushing. The guy didn't even know what setting the Edge was to stop the run since he would always rush up field to get the QB and where he was supposed to be if he stayed home was open where big runs would occur. But, he was a pure pass rusher and that is to be expected and that is what Huff is as well. What if chipping those RBs hurts one of his shoulders and we lose another pass rusher and also our ability to dominate at times the way our Dline did yesterday?. Then it would have been a stupid move that Bart Scott would not admit to suggesting. Maybe some of these guys should stop thinking, they are not used to it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

And isn't this pretty much what Zach himself said in the post game presser.  He referred a few times to how he was beating himmself up over some missed plays.  Zach was good.  Made enough big plays to overcome some missed throws.  Solid for a 4th career start, light years ahead of games 2 and 3, but still plenty of room for improvement.

The way this team has been going over the last two years, I am not going to complain about a win.  But I am also not going to pretend it was perfect.  We saw improvement from game 3 to game 4 which is good.  Now lets hope to see a bit more improvement from week 4 to 5.

Teams don’t win perfect.  You win any way you can.  The jets have certainly lost any way they can the past few years.  I’m loving this win and looking forward to sticking it to atlanta.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, y2k8 said:

So if Bullock makes that kick in OT or worse - if the TE hung on to that pass inside the 10 and the Titans win in OT - would that analysis be any more or less accurate?

Who cares?  None of this bs happened and they did win.  
This is pointless

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, y2k8 said:

So if Bullock makes that kick in OT or worse - if the TE hung on to that pass inside the 10 and the Titans win in OT - would that analysis be any more or less accurate?

The Jets could have put that game away several times in the 4th quarter and OT and failed to do so.

Victory is a great deodorant but let's be realistic about what happened yesterday

Can we just enjoy a win for five minutes? Damn.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Great post and our QB started the PC about how e failed to put the game away twice. He gets it. He will have more bad games but they will become fewer  and fewer. Also and this is not a minor thing his team loves him. Both sides. 

He’sa rookie.  He’ll learn.  Watched Rams game and Stafford missed a lot of open receivers.  Tom Brady did the same.  Both more than the two missed passes our rookie QB has vs Tenn.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Big difference is the game was kept close as opposed to being down by double digits . Tenn was forced into more passing situations unlike our previous games where teams could run or dink and dunk . 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Is it really that hard to enjoy a win while also realizing it was a bit lucky? Jeez.

What was the lucky part, forcing them to have to  bring Bullock out for a 50 yard kick?  Are those chip shots that go through all the time?  
I don’t remember him being automatic when he played here

Funny that this simple fact and that we’re talking about Fat Randy, or that 50 yard FGs aren’t automatic is confusing to someone.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Big difference is the game was kept close as opposed to being down by double digits . Tenn was forced into more passing situations unlike our previous games where teams could run or dink and dunk . 

Tannehill was not good.  

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I do have to be honest.

I want that show to be a homer show.   There's enough Jet bashing everywhere.

After a win I want to go there and celebrate a Jet victory!  Of course, there can and should be some critical analysis but come on.  That's a huge win and to spend the majority of the show ripping the team apart was just strange...

They'll be plenty of time for detailed analysis - it's just not then.

Damn straight.  Radio team, pre, and post game should be homers.  When the refs **** us against the Pats, I want them bitching with me.  My wife, kids, and friends are sick of the Jets.  I need someone to feel the way I do after a game.  

I can watch national shows for fair analysis. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

No, SNY crew is 100% correct.

We became the cardiac Jets yet again because we still don't know how to finish a game. 

We kept shooting ourselves in the foot to the point where we had to rely on the wind blowing in just the right direction to seal the win.

Winning teams don't let it get down to that, especially when there were many opportunities to end the game by before OT. 

Just because we won, doesn't negate the ton of improvement still needed.

We have about a dozen rookies on the roster and plenty of second yr players too

Sometimes you have to grade on a curve.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JiFapono said:

What a bunch of sissies, lol. 

The only point he made that was stupid was that extending plays leads to injuries.  An injury can happen at any time on any snap.   All he said and he's spot on with this take, was he needs to work on the fundamentals (news flash, he does) and make more on schedule plays.  Bart said you cant live and die by off script plays and that Zach cant rely on trying to do it all himself to win.  He said you dont have to do the spectacular, you have to do the routine.  And he's right and it's ok that he's right because its the 4th f'ing game of his career.   He didnt say this game closed the chapter to Zach Wilson's career, he said he'd like to see him play better on schedule from the pocket.  Guess what, we all want this because that's a good thing for the NY Jets. 

Sorry, but it was very odd that Scott would be so negative after a win for a team that only had 2 wins in their last 19 games. They just kept harping on what they didn't do as opposed to what they did do. Zach missed 2 throws that would have iced the game but he also made some outstanding plays and overall was 24/36 for 298 yards with 2/1. He almost made it seem like those big plays were no big deal. I was a little shocked that he was so focused on the negatives after a win when there were also a ton of positives to talk about. OP and others have a point here. 

• Thumb Down 1

The Jets could have put that game away several times in the 4th quarter and OT and failed to do so.
Victory is a great deodorant but let's be realistic about what happened yesterday

And what happened?

The Jets had 7 sacks.

Zach made 4 throws of 29 yards or more. Two of which were over 50 yards in the air. None of the 4 completions had any YAC. Unlike Tannehill whose stats were inflated because of all of the screens.

6 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

True. Another thing that they need to understand is what I and probably a lot of other Jets fans felt going into this game, was that just Vrabel as HC, Tannehill as QB, and Henry as RB were likely enough to beat the Jets in this game especially the way we had been playing. It's not like Zak beat the Lions. He beat a division leading team that for the past several years has been a SB contender. I am tired of hearing crap about oh they are missing both starting WRs and Edge rusher Dupree. Boo Hoo. Jets are/were missing both starting Safeties, Starting Edge Rusher Lawson and what would have been a rotational DE in Curry. And that is only on D. On O our LT is out as well as what would have been one of our starting WRs in Moore. These clown idiots in the Media only seem to measure these situations week to week, but we are much more injured right now than the Titans are. Then we hear they won TOP, Yards, first downs. Well that wins almost all the time 20-30 years ago, but the NFL these days are exactly how the Jets won which is with chunk plays and why, because you take risk with those plays, but reduce risk with long sustained drives that when they are 8-12 plays generally result in drive killing penalties, turnovers, and drives that result in either low or no points. We got a lot of points out of those chunk plays as all 5 drives had plays that were over 20 yards each (and some over 50 yards) we had that resulted in 3 TDs and 2 FGs were the difference in the game. For the Titans without many big plays it resulted in 3 drives they had to settle for FGs and a few drives because they ran so many plays that the sacks knocked them out of FG range that could have made a difference. Then in OT another example of a sack and then a penalty cost them a sure tying FG since they were inside the 20 where if they were getting bigger plays it also would have not burned up so much clock that also puts pressure on an O to perform. Expecting Zack to be much closer to perfection right now and put games away like this one is a lot to expect. We should all be happy that he runs the offense and minimizes really bad mistakes that are games changers. The INT was due to Davis falling down and that was a throw that the QB has to make before the WR breaks, so it was unavoidable. The fumbled snap he picked up and made a big downfield play to Carter. What I like so far from Zack is that he does have the capability to string big drives together which he did most of this game and in the 2nd half of the Panthers game to give us a chance to win there as well. Quite honestly, with just that small sample I have felt more like he has the potential to be our FQB whereas I can not really say in the 3 years Darnold was here I ever felt that way. He never showed any real consistency stringing a lot of scoring drives together other than maybe a few scattered games here and there mostly against bad teams. Last years wins against the Browns and Rams were mainly those teams didn't think we had a chance against them and the law of averages showed we were going to win a couple games like that and not go 0-16. Maybe the few games he played so well his 1st game of his career against the Lions who had a suspect D with Matt Patricia and perhaps the game he played Dallas after he had Mono, which Dallas almost tied up at the end. They were a decent team. But all other wins were mainly very bad teams like beating the Raiders he did in Gase's 1st season.          

Is your return key not working?

it helps break up long posts