Ashton Davis??

doitny

19 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He can hit. His cover skills seem very suspect.

He gave a lot of cushion when he was at FS. You’d see him just getting to the pile as the whistle blew or one of the last licks guys - late hits may be an issue with him.

overall, he passes the eye test and can lay quite a hit. I do notice he gets pulled for long stretches and he’s usually been pulled when the Jets are defending the red zone. 

Ps- I did watch him specifically for the Titans game and did look for him yesterday. He is the size and can lay the hit every now & then. But his diagnosis of plays (IMO) seems a bit slow right now and his tackling could be more tenacious. I think he needs to acclimate to the speed of the game which will come with snaps and playing time; if he continues to develop, Marcus Maye is expendable and should be traded by the deadline for whatever can be salvaged. 

• Upvote 1

He’s an upgrade athletically from the waiver wire safeties we are currently rotating in and out, but he needs to learn the speed of the game and be able to diagnose which only comes with experience. 

Marcus Maye is expendable now and Davis should get the majority of FS/SS snaps for the rest of the season 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He hits hard, but often seems to arrive just a beat too late to force the incompletion.

Hopefully that improves as he gets more experience, because his athletic ability is top- notch.

true but that could be a advantage too. 

those hard hitting safeties get in the back of some WRs mind. makes them a little nervous making catches up the middle like Ronnie Lott did or a David Fulcher.

now before anyone gets there panties in a bunch im not comparing him to Ronnie Lott.

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

those hard hitting safeties get in the back of some WRs mind. makes them a little nervous making catches up the middle like Ronnie Lott did or a David Fulcher.

now before anyone gets there panties in a bunch im not comparing him to Ronnie Lott.

Can’t believe you just compared Ashtyn Davis to David Fulcher

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, doitny said:

Well, you might say you weren't  but you did.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

He gave a lot of cushion when he was at FS. You’d see him just getting to the pile as the whistle blew or one of the last licks guys - late hits may be an issue with him.

overall, he passes the eye test and can lay quite a hit. I do notice he gets pulled for long stretches and he’s usually been pulled when the Jets are defending the red zone. 

Ps- I did watch him specifically for the Titans game and did look for him yesterday. He is the size and can lay the hit every now & then. But his diagnosis of plays (IMO) seems a bit slow right now and his tackling could be more tenacious. I think he needs to acclimate to the speed of the game which will come with snaps and playing time; if he continues to develop, Marcus Maye is expendable and should be traded by the deadline for whatever can be salvaged. 

Lets not forget he was a rookie last year and still developing.   

25 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I was going to post this in the game thread yesterday but then changed my mind because it was a BIT contentious in there.

That said, I thought I saw encouraging things from Davis yesterday.  He was around the ball a lot in the run game and didn’t seem to have any coverage snafus either and they certainly didn’t attack him like they did 39.

That said, safety play, especially coverage, is really hard to assess real time from TV.  Usually pretty hard to tell what types of coverages the D is in and what route combos are being run against them etc.

He’s fast and one fluid athlete, that’s for sure.

Congrats on the PSU win. I am a closet ND fan who works for PSU. I loved the fact Iowa wonQ

• Upvote 1

I saw Ashtyn lay some big hits.

I think he may fall into the 2020 Draft that ignored mental capacity category.  It seems like the Jets scouts did no interviews or did not consider mental toughness and ability to process the game.

Very few safeties have the athleticism A Davis does.  the question is whether he can read the field to make plays, cover, etc., as opposed to launching himself like a missile.  

Becton, Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Clark-all seem to be missing a piece. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

53 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He hits hard, but often seems to arrive just a beat too late to force the incompletion.

Hopefully that improves as he gets more experience, because his athletic ability is top- notch.

He seems like a hard worker too. I don’t expect him to be a top 5 safety but I don’t see why he can’t at least be “solid” after getting more experience and possibly even Maye back. 

• Upvote 1