Jets Protect QB Josh Johnson (seriously who’s signing him )

13 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Precisely...that pick was a disaster that I said on draft day...add Davis, Perine and Zuniga to that list.

Davis played the full game Sunday and had 10 tackles ... not sure whether that's a good thing or not, but it's more than Perine or Zuniga have contributed in their careers combined.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

I'm still on the Joe Douglas band wagon, but I must say the events surrounding the back up QB spot since camp have been most peculiar.  

Kind of reminds me of the way the place kicker situation was handled at the start of his tenure. Just odd and doesn't make much sense to the casual observer. Maybe there is a reasonable explanation but it's hard to imagine what that may be. 

• Upvote 3

I'm still on the Joe Douglas band wagon, but I must say the events surrounding the back up QB spot since camp have been most peculiar.  

I’ll spell it out for you because it seems a lot of people don’t get what Douglas did. If presented with a better option , every coach in the NFL will start that better option. If Joe Flacco was on this roster day 1 then he’d be the starter hands down. Just like Gase sticking with Gore, Bowles sticking with Fitz/McCown. Do you not recall the constant threads BEGGING to just at least see Hackenberg, Bryce Petty, etc..? The coach’s job is to win games, at least until mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and they will do what they think is beat to do just that. Having Flacco here day one would have meant Wilson would be on the bench, and that’s not what leadership wants.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

I’ll spell it out for you because it seems a lot of people don’t get what Douglas did. If presented with a better option , every coach in the NFL will start that better option. If Joe Flacco was on this roster day 1 then he’d be the starter hands down. Just like Gase sticking with Gore, Bowles sticking with Fitz/McCown. Do you not recall the constant threads BEGGING to just at least see Hackenberg, Bryce Petty, etc..? The coach’s job is to win games, at least until mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and they will do what they think is beat to do just that. Having Flacco here day one would have meant Wilson would be on the bench, and that’s not what leadership wants.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

What leadership?

17 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

And why the James Morgan pick,

and then dump...

Confusing, yes?

This is the one (in re: backup QB) that gets under my skin.

You draft a guy who seems well suited to a backup role, then you toss him aside pretty quick.

Does he suck?  Maybe, but if so, ffs why'd you pick him and at such a priority?

If not, why you'd retain two nobodies like White and Johnson?

And now we spent a draft pick (albeit a late one) for an old worn out Vet we already had last year?

And as @jgb said, why no decent younger backup behind Wilson to start the season?  There were a few available.

The QB position management on this team is just mind bogglingly confusion so far.

• Upvote 2

The way the Jets have handled the #2/#3 QB situation is alarming because there doesn't seem to be any coherent approach at all.

If Josh Johnson is a competent veteran backup why can't he play 2nd string?

If Mike White is so good why did they trade for Flacco?

If they traded for Flacco why are they starting White?  It's basically an admission that Johnson was never even backup quality.

Just total incoherence.  The shine is wearing off Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You draft a guy who seems well suited to a backup role, then you toss him aside pretty quick.

And now we spent a draft pick (albeit a late one) for an old worn out Vet we already had last year?

And as @jgb said, why no decent younger backup behind Wilson to start the season?  There were a few available.

The QB position management on this team is just mind bogglingly confusion so far.

It is interesting to me that there is so much resistance to even the proposal. If a guy like Minshew represents an existential threat to Zach Wilson -- the #2 overall pick -- isn't that a major red flag that is better known sooner rather than later?

1 minute ago, jgb said:

It is interesting to me that there is so much resistance to even the proposal. If a guy like Minshew represents an existential threat to Zach Wilson -- the #2 overall pick -- isn't that a major red flag that is better known sooner rather than later?

Yes.

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Morgan pick is perhaps the worst one of the 2020 class...JD whiffed on a level that exposes him to not have done his homework..it has unraveled on several levels now and is costing the franchise more than just that one pick.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Darnold has another couple of games like Sunday, and Morgan is gonna be the QB. They will regret not keeping him over White. Nobody would have ever claimed White. 

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

I would much rather move on from a mistake than to stubbornly try to make it work.  Kudos in my book.

As far as why they took him, none of us know the interviews that were done with him, his teammates or former coaches.  Did the tape warrant a pick there?  I can't say.  Maybe it did and the kid couldn't spell his name.  Idk.