Mims is a joke

JTJet

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

yes, he had some bad drops; one it was obvious that he was trying to run before catching it. Had he caught it, he would have picked up another 10 yards easy. Not calling him great by any means, but even vet receivers can go through a rut.

Look at it this way: with his size, hands, speed and reach, had he been a good route runner with good hands he would have been a 1st round pick - maybe even top 15. He fell the 2nd round for a reason. He dropped within the second round for a reason. JD liked the potential.

Some receivers take 2-3 years to acclimate into the NFL. Not saying he will eventually get it. He may never get it. I remember once a Jets receiver was a body catcher and they taught him and practiced him to catching with his hands - i wish i could remember who it was, but I believe he ended up have a good career.

That is the problem with the board, a great game and people were like why do we need Zack when we have Mike; then a player has a bad game, and they are trash. Look at all the hype about Herdon - and then he did nothing; this may be Mims. Or, he may make the leap from potential to good/great. Especially with the weird season last year, new scheme and often sophomore slump, I think dumping him now would be a mistake. By the end of next year we should know one way or another. Patience - we aren't going anywhere this year anyway (with or without Mims).

Yep #19 had that problem, too.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

yes, he had some bad drops; one it was obvious that he was trying to run before catching it. Had he caught it, he would have picked up another 10 yards easy. Not calling him great by any means, but even vet receivers can go through a rut.

Look at it this way: with his size, hands, speed and reach, had he been a good route runner with good hands he would have been a 1st round pick - maybe even top 15. He fell the 2nd round for a reason. He dropped within the second round for a reason. JD liked the potential.

Some receivers take 2-3 years to acclimate into the NFL. Not saying he will eventually get it. He may never get it. I remember once a Jets receiver was a body catcher and they taught him and practiced him to catching with his hands - i wish i could remember who it was, but I believe he ended up have a good career.

That is the problem with the board, a great game and people were like why do we need Zack when we have Mike; then a player has a bad game, and they are trash. Look at all the hype about Herdon - and then he did nothing; this may be Mims. Or, he may make the leap from potential to good/great. Especially with the weird season last year, new scheme and often sophomore slump, I think dumping him now would be a mistake. By the end of next year we should know one way or another. Patience - we aren't going anywhere this year anyway (with or without Mims).

i'm guessing he's thinking too much, thinking about not making a mistake in routes, etc.  and that's affecting his play.  either he works through it and figures it out, or he just folds.  the talent is there, he was just fine last year.  

• Upvote 1

I've been in the #FreeDenzel camp but these last two games have been eye openers.  Beyond the drops, which IMO are possibly mental  (and can be coached), what struck me last night was it seemed he was slow off the line, almost like he was half-assing it.  Could be 4.3 guys need a couple of strides to get going, but I didn't see a quick burst to engage/work the CB for leverage.  That may be the bigger issue...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Gotta cut the kid some slack.  Last year he proved he could catch the ball.  Yes he has had some drops this year but I think not playing much hasn’t helped plus he might be playing tight because  of what has gone on this year.  

i'm rooting for him as much as the next guy.  but you just don't get that many chances.  if you're a wr, you better not drop the ball, especially in the end zone.  the jets have FA next year as well as 5 picks in the first 3 rounds to potentially replace mims' roster spot.  at this point, his roster spot next season is precarious.  i can easily see him being dealt in the offseason, after FA and the draft. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i'm rooting for him as much as the next guy.  but you just don't get that many chances.  if you're a wr, you better not drop the ball, especially in the end zone.  the jets have FA next year as well as 5 picks in the first 3 rounds to potentially replace mims' roster spot.  at this point, his roster spot next season is precarious.  i can easily see him being dealt in the offseason, after FA and the draft. 

I’m not going to go crazy after a few drops especially since like I said he has shown he can make tough catches last year and even earlier this year when he had very little playing time 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

When you think of flip flopping, mindless Jets fans, why do threads like theses have the same cast of clueless characters crying?

All of the significant concerns I had that I would classify as urgent - evaporated with booth Lafleur. Yes there is still things to work on and lessons to learn, but this place has become a high school lunchroom. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

All of the significant concerns I had that I would classify as urgent - evaporated with booth Lafleur. Yes there is still things to work on and lessons to learn, but this place has become a high school lunchroom. 

Amazing that after the predictable start and record given how young this team and CS is that the trolls have overtaken this board and made it unreadable to anyone with an ounce of common sense and intelligence.  

• Sympathy 1

That STUPID false start penalty when he came out of his motion and just turned upfield too soon like who cares?, that drove me nuts because that is just him being lazy and not running a precise route.  If he won't do it in the set, how does he show up during the play?  Super bummed by him, I was really hoping for better.  He needs the tough love bad.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Really bummed about Mims

Agreed.

Thought he was really good in college

Agreed.

he’s still super young and has had a bunch of injury issues 

…and he also just isn’t very good.

For whatever reasons things are not clicking for him this year. He is not growing. Makes both mental and physical mistakes in terms of route running, assignments, drops, committing penalties.

I like the guy and just like so many players who have fizzled out in the NFL, the raw talent and upside is so exciting. But we’re getting closer and closer to needing to cut bait here.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.

Agreed.

…and he also just isn’t very good.

For whatever reasons things are not clicking for him this year. He is not growing. Makes both mental and physical mistakes in terms of route running, assignments, drops, committing penalties.

I like the guy and just like so many players who have fizzled out in the NFL, the raw talent and upside is so exciting. But we’re getting closer and closer to needing to cut bait here.

Yea, he seems checked out mentally 

• Upvote 1

The red flags were there even in college. Was a minimal separation player with a limited route tree, had serious dropping issues in his final year. He was never dominant enough physically to become a possession WR in the NFL.

Some pointed this out at the time and were absolutely lambasted for it. Mims was a flawless prospect to hear some tell it, it was a blessing that he fell to us where he did. Heh.

Just another Douglas gem. The 2020 draft set this organisation back so far. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The red flags were there even in college. Was a minimal separation player with a limited route tree, had serious dropping issues in his final year. He was never dominant enough physically to become a possession WR in the NFL.

Some pointed this out at the time and were absolutely lambasted for it. Mims was a flawless prospect to hear some tell it, it was a blessing that he fell to us where he did. Heh.

But hey, JD loved him. Another wasted high pick.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

categorically, and empirically not true.... Did you wake up in the states this morning? I thought hyperbole, exaggeration and being obtusely absolute was mostly a North American affliction, but maybe i'm wrong... Mims was not, never was, nor will history suggest - some sort of worshipped, highly regarded prospect that people couldn't stop gushing over. He was a late riser who flirted with being ranked in the top 5-8 of some peoples boards. Senior Bowl praise helped put him there.

So stop. 

I'm taking a knee on him in a Jets Uniform. He's totally blown his opportunity, and i would say "Don't let the door hit yer ass on the way out" after this season. But that still doesn't make your inflated take correct.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

If you’ve watched clips of Mims in practice you know what the issue is. He’s a lazy, low effort player who doesn’t love football. He’s got ability issues as well - doesn’t get separation, hands aren’t great. Pretty much a loser on all levels. 

I did not want to say this after watching him last week but this is accurate. I will be very surprised if he is on this team next year. He did not even see the field the second half