The JD and Saleh honeymoon ends when week one of 2022 begins

We need to see real signs of a plan coming into place and improvement next year. 2023-24 and 2024-25 are the years for expectations. If Saleh is the guy, he needs time b/c he started with close to nothing. The problem is, while we didn't expect a winning record this year, the team (and defense especially), at times, has looked like it would be neglect not to fire the coaches on the spot. I want this to work, but there has to be some type of feeling of moving forward. For example, the Miami game was okay, we can live with that. But the Bills, Colts, and Patriots games were so awful that it felt like this coaching staff and organization had no business running a professional football team. 

But I digress. You have to give Saleh 3-4 years. I just don't know if the organization and the fans will be patient enough.

2 minutes ago, addage said:

Despite opinion here, JD is a smart guy.  He understands that 2022 cannot be like 2021.  He has kept his powder pretty dry with FA, but I think he will spend far more freely this off season than he has in the past.

It's also true that the holes in our team will be more clearly defined.  Some of the young players are making great strides.  That reduces the number of FA's than can really help the team.  So I think he will be bidding high on some specific spots.  Don't know what's going to be out there at TE, but that is an obvious weak spot.  Ironically, he has to address Safety for sure and DB, LB are two more spots.  Edge will be in the draft.

He's got 5 Day 1, 2 slots.  Between draft and FA, there can be no excuses.

I think 2022 is going to be a pleasant surprise.  But if not, then get out the torches and pitchforks...time for a riot.

The draft capital this team has is pretty incredible. Teams in the past who have built through the draft don't hit on every pick, they hit on a good number. How can you screw this up? Oh yeah, we're talking about the J E T S. 

34 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'll throw half a bone to the JD detractors. 

By the time week one of the 2022 season begins, JD and Saleh will have completed another FA period, draft, UDFA signing period, and post June cuts period. The current roster will be a year older. Dead money will be mostly gone. I give you my word that there will be no more mental gymnastics. or twisting myself into a pretzel about JD and Saleh. It is my expectation that the 2022 Jets will be competing for a division title with a secondary goal of clinching a wild card spot. If it is more of the same in 2022, I'll donate to the fire JD and Saleh fund. 

You can bookmark this, and refer to it at any time after week one begins in 2022. 

Put your name on this if you aren't already a detractor. Make a tired, snarky remark if that is what you were going to predictably do anyway. 

Why throw them a bone at all?  H8ters gonna hate.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

By the time week one of the 2022 season begins, JD and Saleh will have completed another FA period, draft, UDFA signing period, and post June cuts period. The current roster will be a year older. Dead money will be mostly gone. I give you my word that there will be no more mental gymnastics. or twisting myself into a pretzel about JD and Saleh. It is my expectation that the 2022 Jets will be competing for a division title with a secondary goal of clinching a wild card spot. If it is more of the same in 2022, I'll donate to the fire JD and Saleh fund. 

You can bookmark this, and refer to it at any time after week one begins in 2022. 

Put your name on this if you aren't already a detractor. Make a tired, snarky remark if that is what you were going to predictably do anyway. 

So, quick question here... We have 4 picks in the first 45 in next draft. Are we expecting them to perform Week 1, like people were expecting of MC, Moore, AVT, etc? Same with some of the free agents that have joined. Fant is performing well in pass protection on the left side, but his first year was a bit rocky (as per PFF, he graded out at 61 on the right last year, and so far this year, he's a 68 on the left, a not insignificant lift).

Just curious as I fully expect new players (especially those 4 draft picks) to be impactful, but those impacts may not be felt for at least half a season (and sometimes a full season).

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, xJayce said:

So, quick question here... We have 4 picks in the first 45 in next draft. Are we expecting them to perform Week 1, like people were expecting of MC, Moore, AVT, etc? Same with some of the free agents that have joined. Fant is performing well in pass protection on the left side, but his first year was a bit rocky (as per PFF, he graded out at 61 on the right last year, and so far this year, he's a 68 on the left, a not insignificant lift).

Just curious as I fully expect new players (especially those 4 draft picks) to be impactful, but those impacts may not be felt for at least half a season (and sometimes a full season).

I am expecting the current players, returning injured players, free agent acquisitions, plus the rookies to look like a professional football team starting on week one. This is not about week one being a must win game, but it is a must look like a contending team game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Right game , wrong year.

It ended after the Darnold debacle.

Robert Saleh used SF, Jax and Sea as examples of how to rebuild

SF: made it to the Super Bowl in year 3 of the current FO/CS regime. 

Jax: this rebuild didn't really work. They made the playoffs in year 5 once Gus Bradley was fired.

Sea: were a dominant team in year 3 of the Pete Carroll era.

That’s the bar he put out there. Next year is year 3 of the Jets rebuild. I want wins. At least 8 and fighting for a playoff spot in mid December.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Robert Saleh used SF, Jax and Sea as examples of how to rebuild

SF: made it to the Super Bowl in year 3 of the current FO/CS regime. 

Jax: this rebuild didn't really work. They made the playoffs in year 5 once Gus Bradley was fired.

Sea: were a dominant team in year 3 of the Pete Carroll era.

That’s the bar he put out there. Next year is year 3 of the Jets rebuild. I want wins. At least 8 and fighting for a playoff spot in mid December.

No. Next year is year 2. 

This is Saleh's and Wilson's rookie year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

No. Next year is year 2. 

This is Saleh's and Wilson's rookie year.

We have an entire thread discussing what year of the rebuild we are in. Next year being Saleh’s 2nd year is the only reason why i’ll be a liitle lenient in the comparison.

Russell Wilson joined Seattle a couple of years after Pete Carroll. The Seattle rebuild didn't get reset when he joined. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicco said:

No clue, but the plan has been to load up on the 2021 and 2022 drafts to reload the roster. I wouldn’t expect much until 2023 at the earliest 

You're very patient and understanding.  You seem to have a very high tolerance for losing as long as they tell you there is a "plan".

Do you think it takes four-five full years years (2023 will be JD's fifth season as GM) to "reload" an NFL roster to just get to being competitive?

What would it take, if anything, for you to want to fire JD and/or Saleh at the end of 2022?  What is your line in the sand?

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're very patient and understanding.  You seem to have a very high tolerance for losing as long as they tell you there is a "plan".

Do you think it takes four-five full years years (2023 will be JD's fifth season as GM) to "reload" an NFL roster to just get to being competitive?

What would it take, if anything, for you to want to fire JD and/or Saleh at the end of 2022?  What is your line in the sand?

Competitive and making the playoffs are different things. We are competitive in about half our games this year. Next year I can see 7-9 wins. Then hopefully 9+ wins in 2023.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

They need to show some drastic improvement in 2022.  I’m not going to look at the win-loss record as much as good play on both sides of the ball.  Teams that play for the full 60 minutes will have a decent win- loss record. Another point is they need to do a whole lot better in turnovers.  Right now they are -25 (I think).  That’s a lot and does help explain the bad record.

You guys can talk and hope and wish all you want, but JD at least and most probably Saleh, get until the end of the 23-24 season at minimum.

JD has earned that with this past draft class...and most NFL teams don't dump new HC's in less than 3 years.

Believe it or not, JD was a well-respected hire amongst NFL 'people', and firing him after 2 draft classes would be a pretty toxic event amongst the individuals that might consider the Jets GM position.  I still have faith in Douglas, Hogan and Savage to figure this all out.

Saleh?  Not so sure....but it's his baby to develop.  Guess we'll see.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

We have an entire thread discussing what year of the rebuild we are in. Next year being Saleh’s 2nd year is the only reason why i’ll be a liitle lenient in the comparison.

Russell Wilson joined Seattle a couple of years after Pete Carroll. The Seattle rebuild didn't get reset when he joined. 

That's not how math works.

That's not how time works.

And it sure as hell ain't how football rebuilds work.

Next year is year two.

• Sympathy 1

Would like to see us drastically improve next year. Gonna save a playoff mandate until 23 due to the overall roster, but next year the team should be playing competitive football week in and week out and look head and shoulders better than what we have now. The offense in particular should be legitimately good. 

Once again though, by 23 we flat out need to be ready for some playoffs, and have a core that ensures we compete for a while. 

I love how we assume that this concept of rebuild is linear. If you don’t draft or gain talent you remain a poor team forever.

JD’s first draft looks terrible, a side a late pick Corner. This years draft looks much better. He has to hit on similar number of picks in 2022 to keep the needle moving.

He’s very good a trades and bloody awful at free agent signings. 

The true is it all comes down to Wilson, if he can play QB then we are on, If he can’t JD and Saleh get canned and the BS starts again.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

JD needs to rethink his Fa approach where he has been pretty poor at. These one year, cheap but high potential signings aren’t working. Rankins and Jerrod Davis were bad signings. Keelan Cole? What has he really done? I’m still amazed he gave GVR a 3 year deal who is easily the weakest link on the OL and rightfully got benched last week. We can’t afford that type of FA next season and expect to fix our team.

As for the draft it’s going to be a mystery. 20 was bad, early 21 seems betters. I still think he whiffed on his late round LB picks but we can call it even getting Carter and more. We have no idea what Wilson is going to be yet. But yea he has to nail these picks if he’s Gona hang his GM hat on trades. 

Bottom line is under  JD, whether you agree he takes the hit for 19 or not would have a 3rd or 4th straight losing season if we are negative in wins loses in 22. Would any nfl team keep a coach who had the type of record? It’s unacceptable. JD needs to build the roster this year, and build it for real, not these little plug gaps here and there. 

18 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

I like the energy and excitement. 

I will go more tempered.  I see the Jets finishing 8-8 next year.  No Division.  No Wild Card.  Hopefully, they finish in the middle of the pack in terms of O and D.

This, asking the team to go from worst to competing for first in a division with 2 of the best teams in the AFC is a lot.  8-9, 9-8, that would be a HUGE step in the right direction. 

• Upvote 4

The honeymoon endedweeks ago as the majority of jet fans want Douglas, Saleh and Zach Wilson out.  The good thing is that Woody, Douglas snd Saleh have a long term plan that they know requires time and patience.  Thry also dont give a crap about a Jet fans perceived honeymoon.

These guys are here for the long haul and that is great news!

• Upvote 1