Safety position going forward

Rhg1084

Easiest the worst position group right now. The vision for this year was Joyner and Maye who are both out for the year. Davis has been below average and Riley was signed off the street. Getting beat for the game winning touchdown today was embarrassing.

what does Douglas do with this position in the off-season? Franchise Maye again? Sign a big name (Mathieu?). Draft Kyle Hamilton with one of our picks? 

safety is an important position in Saleh’s scheme and needs to be addressed 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans just cant help themselves.  Just want to add safeties, corners and dline every chance they can get.

We are building this offense.  Safety is very low on our offseason priorities.  Will will sign a 2nd tier free agent safety and maybe draft one in the 5th round.

All top resources are going to finish building this offense.

Round 1: Oline - Neal, WR - Williams or Burkes

Round 2: TE - McBride or Wydermyer, RB - Isaiah Spiller

We have just added the best OL, WR, TE and RB in the draft.

Safety position is currently an embarrassment on this team. They need to upgrade it somehow. Hamilton could very well be the pick 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Why would cincy let him go?

I read a few articles saying that he’s really frustrated with them and the contract talks have been going nowhere. He might get franchise tagged but I kind out doubt they work out a deal. Joe burrow and Higgins are going to get extensions in 2023 probably so maybe they need to save money for that 

22 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Easiest the worst position group right now. The vision for this year was Joyner and Maye who are both out for the year. Davis has been below average and Riley was signed off the street. Getting beat for the game winning touchdown today was embarrassing.

what does Douglas do with this position in the off-season? Franchise Maye again? Sign a big name (Mathieu?). Draft Kyle Hamilton with one of our picks? 

CJ Mosley has taken a lot of criticism around here.  Some deserved but a lot has not been IMO.

He has almost zero Safety help behind him and who are the other stud LBs he's playing with?  I think Mosely has actually masked many of the Jets deficiencies on defense at times.  The guy has an incredible 142 tackles, putting him 5th in the entire NFL.  He'd probably be Top 3 if he hadn't missed 2 games.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If they draft Hamilton in the top 10, I'm setting something on fire. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans just cant help themselves.  Just want to add safeties, corners and dline every chance they can get.

We are building this offense.  Safety is very low on our offseason priorities.  Will will sign a 2nd tier free agent safety and maybe draft one in the 5th round.

Would really like to see your Plan become reality.

If you could hypothetically have those players on the squad today, most likely the Jets are up on Brady 3 TDs instead of 2, and maybe (probably), that’s just too much for Brady, DEFINITELY too much for a lesser talented QB, of which there are boat loads.

Keep adding O....you have the Franchise QB already in place.

• Upvote 1

I think they will definitely try to sign one of the top safety's in FA. There are 3 or 4 really good options, Williams, Diggs, Tart, and the kid from Cincy [cant think of his name at the moment].

I also see us drafting a safety in the 3rd or 4th round.

Definitely a big need. I don't see them drafting Hamilton in the first although if he is on the board as the BPA when they pick i wouldn't complain.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

1. If Hutch or Thib fall to the Jets at #4, they are not taking Neal. They are taking one of those two Pass Rushers. There's even a good chance they take Karlaftis or Ojabo over Neal if those guys blow up the combine and their stock skyrockets. 

2. S, CB and D-line (pass rush) are very important to having a good defense, which is very important to winning in this league. I don't really understand what the problem is with drafting those positions in Rd. 1 if you have a need and it represents good value.

3. IMO, Williams or Burke (or any WR in this draft class, to be honest) is a reach at #6. Maybe in a trade down scenario but not top 10. 

4. There are no truly special RBs in this draft class. No way I'm using an early 2nd rounder on one. Would much rather take a WR in Rd. 2 if we were going to go after one. Even then, would be tough to pass on an impact LB at that juncture. JMHO.  

IMO...

On Offense: the Jets need to finish building the O-line and add an impact TE from this draft. Adding a WR and RB should also be on their list but is something that makes more sense to address in FA. 

On Defense: the Jets should take advantage of the depth at Edge in this draft and add an impact edge rusher. They clearly also need LB and S help, the former they should look for in the draft, the latter in FA. For now, their CBs are ok. They should keep developing Hall, Carter, Guidry and Echols.  

• Upvote 1

Maye is going to leave, both sides are done with each other.

I'd love bring back Joyner on a cheap 1 year deal and  go after Marcus Williams or Jessie Bates in FA. I'd then look to bring in another in the mid rounds of the draft.

Davis is going to be competing with a draft pick for playing time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why do you keep repeating this crap like you sit in JD's office and know his plan? It's cringy AF.

You don't know what the Jets are doing in round 1 & 2 - stop. JD doesn't even know what he's doing in the draft yet.

BTW, I'll bet you we will take a pass rusher in the first two rounds way before we ever take a damn RB

Drafting by position is a mistake.  Draft players at certain positions, not positions no matter the players.  Still, I wouldn't touch a RB  or TE. before the 3rd round.  No DBs in round 1 please. No interior DL until day 3.

Pinnock is a nice project to have as someone who can be a hybrid safety/cb. 

Davis is starting to come on in coverage. He's been better than I think people realize. But his tackling is an issue.

We can bring back Joyner next year and sign another FA. I don't think it's an issue that can't be easily addressed. Definitely a hole on our team right now though. 

37 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I doubt they franchise Maye coming off an achilles tear.  A prove it one year deal sounds reasonable but he may want to go somewhere else given last year's lack of long term contract.

I would bye bye to Maye.  Achilles injuries are tough and they already have Lawson coming off one. Plus he covered up his leaving the scene accident.  He's not right for this team any more.

• Upvote 2

Don’t other teams have a say in this?

• Upvote 1

Bring back Joyner and try to bring back maye or sign FA safety and draft one mid round draft. In draft we need Edge 1st pick and second 1st could be oline or take back for wr , I love treylon burke. Top of the 1st draft best Cb , hopefully Ahmad Gardner is there or trade back into the 1st for him

What sucks even worse about Jamal Adams is that Kyle Hamilton might actually be the best prospect available at one of our two top ten picks but we've got El Presidente PTSD.

Maybe it's just about how you sell it:

"What if I told you, I could get you a 6'4 220 lb safety that can actually cover and runs in the 4.4's, PLUS a first and third rounder... for one easy payment of Jamal Adams." 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

What sucks even worse about Jamal Adams is that Kyle Hamilton might actually be the best prospect available at one of our two top ten picks but we've got El Presidente PTSD.

Maybe it's just about how you sell it:

"What if I told you, I could get you a 6'4 220 lb safety that can actually cover and runs in the 4.4's, PLUS a first and third rounder... for one easy payment of Jamal Adams." 

Doesn't really matter if we have PTSD, does it? To the best of my knowledge JD won't be consulting with us prior to making the picks.

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

I doubt they franchise Maye coming off an achilles tear.  A prove it one year deal sounds reasonable but he may want to go somewhere else given last year's lack of long term contract.

I dont think they were ever going to franchise or resign him for next season.  

Now, with him missing the opening part of the season, not being able to show that he can still play early?