Jetnation: You’re on the clock with pick 4

Rhg1084

8 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

I really don’t get the love for Karlaftis, especially in the top 5.  He doesn’t have the production or elite athleticism to warrant such a high pick.  4.5 sacks playing the whole year, and yet you have people here saying here is a no brainer top 5 pick.  Someone Ike Ojabo has such a higher ceiling and the production (11 sacks) to back it up.  

To set the record straight,  I don't want us to draft Karlaftis. But to say he doesn't have the production to back it up simply isn't true. In fact he's been productive since his freshman year recording 50+ pressures unless we're judging productivity simply on sacks alone. It's not like he's at Michigan in which the opposing teams has to pick their poison in regards to which edge defender they must double team. Nor does he gets to feast off the pressure created from a teammate. Pre-snap the offense makes it necessity to get a chip on Karlaftis as he's the main and only focal point. Same goes for Thibodeaux.

• Upvote 2

If no QB goes in the Top 3 then there could be a QB starved team that wants to come up and I'd absolutely look at that option.  Teams like Pittsburgh, maybe the Saints, Atlanta, etc. might be interested in a talented but developmental QB prospect that's not worth a Top 3 pick but is worth getting at #4, etc.

As to the OP's rules with no trade down available and KT, Hutch, and Neal all gone I'd definitely go with the next best Edge/DE available post-Combine.  That could be Karlaftis, Ojabo, etc. but I really, really don't think we should use the #4 on Hamilton.  I like him, but not at #4.  If he dropped to the second pick (from Seattle) then yeah, that's a potential value pick to make.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

A long term rebuild doesn't mean you ignore the defense in the draft. There are a couple of key pieces this defense needs.

The Jets need to win games in 2022 or the heat is going to turn up on Saleh & JD real quick. I get what you're saying but that part of the equation cannot be ignored. 

I think this is going to be very similar to last years offseason.  

Draftwise: High round picks(rounds 1 and 2) will be on offense.  Rounds 3-7 will be on defense.

We can also use free agent money to bring in a def player or 2.

I dont think a few free agents and picks in round 3-7 is ignoring the defense.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think this is going to be very similar to last years offseason.  

Draftwise: High round picks(rounds 1 and 2) will be on offense.  Rounds 3-7 will be on defense.

We can also use free agent money to bring in a def player or 2.

I dont think a few free agents and picks in round 3-7 is ignoring the defense.

i think it’s highly improbable they don’t use at least one first rounder on a pass rusher, when the defense was really bad nearly all season and they used their first 4 picks last year on offense.  I do think it’s possible they wait until the 2nd round to take wr though.

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If that's the case I could get on board. I'm worried we'd be overdrafting an edge out of need when there might be a comparable player at the top of Round 2. If he tests well (edge is one position where I care about testing numbers, especially 3 cone) it could make sense.

I will just say this about Karlaftis.  I could be right, I could be wrong.  Based on watching him several times, full games, as well as Hutchinson and the Bosas etc, the main thing I see different about him and those guys is that those guys played along side at least one other 1st RD DLineman and multiple pros at ever level of the defense.

If Karlaftis had anywhere near that much talent around him, I think the production discussion would be non existent and he’d probably be considered at minimum on par with Hutchinson and Thibideux 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If no QB goes in the Top 3 then there could be a QB starved team that wants to come up and I'd absolutely look at that option.  Teams like Pittsburgh, maybe the Saints, Atlanta, etc. might be interested in a talented but developmental QB prospect that's not worth a Top 3 pick but is worth getting at #4, etc.

As to the OP's rules with no trade down available and KT, Hutch, and Neal all gone I'd definitely go with the next best Edge/DE available post-Combine.  That could be Karlaftis, Ojabo, etc. but I really, really don't think we should use the #4 on Hamilton.  I like him, but not at #4.  If he dropped to the second pick (from Seattle) then yeah, that's a potential value pick to make.

This!!!  I'll be shocked if a team like PIT doesn't call Douglas to move up for their next QB

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

I really don’t get the love for Karlaftis, especially in the top 5.  He doesn’t have the production or elite athleticism to warrant such a high pick.  4.5 sacks playing the whole year, and yet you have people here saying here is a no brainer top 5 pick.  Someone Ike Ojabo has such a higher ceiling and the production (11 sacks) to back it up.  

I missed this earlier.  Not singling you out or anything, as you certainly are not the only one here or elsewhere who talks about his athleticism, but I am curious what brings you to that conclusion?  Is it eye ball yet etc?  

I think on the field he screams elite athlete, but his build maybe doesn’t, so that’s why I’m curious about his testing. I definitely am not a pro at just watching games and saying, oh that guy will test great, but Karlaftis looks every bit the athlete to me the other 2 main edge guys do.  He also has “published” testing numbers from this last off-season that include a Sub 4.7 40, a 37 inch vertical and a 10’1 broad jump.  Now obviously those are more similar to pro day times, so should not be taken as gospel, but they at least give a glimpse. Those are damn good numbers for any DE.  A 20 year old 270lb DE who is strong as an Ox is bordering on freak territory.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Did they?  Joey Bosa had a huge Sophomore year after a good freshman year and a “down” junior year.  His sophomore year was huge though.

Nick Bosa never came anywhere near that level at OSU.  In fact, his career numbers are incredibly close to Karlaftis, just in different order.  Almost identical numbers in games played, sacks, TFL, etc for their careers.

This isn’t directed at you per se, but I think we all speak in far too definite terms when talking draft prospects.  It’s a crap shoot for even the best GMs.  I think Karlaftis will be a great pro.  I think the knocks on him based on production are missing some context, but it’s very possible I’m wrong.  He could be a complete bust.  However I do think when saying things like he wasn’t as productive as the Bosa’s to frame a point is subjective at best.

When you're talking draft prospects pretty much everything is subjective at best. On that note, isn't the order of the statistics pretty important? Bosa's point to a guy who continued to improve and progress as a player despite getting more attention as his career went on - Karlaftis' don't. Bosa ended his college career with .5 a sack less than Karlaftis' did in just three games. He was basically unblockable. Karlaftis hasn't been that guy during his college career.

But yeah, the whole reason the draft is hard is that everything is subjective and part of the reason that we all, GM's included, are wrong so much is that it's really hard to balance the nuance in situations.

I also think the rest of my post was more important than the Bosa discussion when it comes to Karlaftis as a prospect.

I agree with you regarding the lack of nuance in draft conversations, it's why I pointed out what I think is the counterpoint to your argument about him being more athletic than people think - he's also more raw than people think. 

Whole point of my post was to say that on the whole I see a prospect whose strengths don't complement each other particularly well. I'd feel better about athletic + motor + pressures despite lack of sacks if you were getting a guy who was technically sound. Better about betting on traits if he had length. 

I think it's totally reasonable to see a guy who will be a good pro - I just don't think a raw prospect with frame and production questions ends up a consensus top ten guy. Too much to nitpick. Not saying he'll be a bad pro - just think he lands in the teens.

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I missed this earlier.  Not singling you out or anything, as you certainly are not the only one here or elsewhere who talks about his athleticism, but I am curious what brings you to that conclusion?  Is it eye ball yet etc?  

I think on the field he screams elite athlete, but his build maybe doesn’t, so that’s why I’m curious about his testing. I definitely am not a pro at just watching games and saying, oh that guy will test great, but Karlaftis looks every bit the athlete to me the other 2 main edge guys do.  He also has “published” testing numbers from this last off-season that include a Sub 4.7 40, a 37 inch vertical and a 10’1 broad jump.  Now obviously those are more similar to pro day times, so should not be taken as gospel, but they at least give a glimpse. Those are damn good numbers for any DE.  A 20 year old 270lb DE who is strong as an Ox is bordering on freak territory.

Ojabu will be the freak athletic tester at the combine.  With him the questions are how raw is he, and how much did he benefit by having hutch opposite him?  B/c you watch his tape and his explosiveness reminds me of john Abraham.

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Agreed about Karlaftis' athleticsm.  He is a great athlete.  Below is from Bruce Feldman's (The Athletic) list of top 50 Athletic Freaks in college football this season.  He has Karlaftis at 7.  I don't know how good a pro he will be, but athelticism is not likely what will hold him back.

7. George Karlaftis, Purdue, defensive end

One of the biggest recruits the Boilers have landed in the last decade, Karlaftis began his career with a bang, with 17 TFLs and 7.5 sacks in 2019 as a freshman. He had two sacks in three games in an abbreviated 2020, but expectations about him are soaring for 2021. Karlaftis is a remarkable all-around athlete. He played on the U16 Greek national water polo team as a 13-year-old and then became a two-time Indiana state champ in the shot put and started for three seasons on his high school basketball team. At 272 pounds, Karlaftis’ body fat has dropped from 25 percent to 15 percent at Purdue. He power cleans 380, did a 505-pound front squat, a 10-1 broad jump and a 37-inch vertical jump. His 40 this offseason was 4.69. As part of his preparation, he spends an hour a day doing hand-to-hand combat and MMA drills, an hour on rehab/mobility exercises and a third hour watching film.

His position coach Mark Hagan has coached big-time players and says Karlaftis’ overall commitment to being elite is as good as anyone he’s ever been around in terms of “proper nutrition, proper hydration, extra time in the training room to take care of his body, extra stretching, extra meeting and video, extra drill work — every day. I’ve literally got to shut him down at times so he doesn’t overtrain.”

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Lol so who’s your pick? 

IF the board stayed the way it was, meaning we have picks #4 and #6, I would trade out of number for a QB hungry team.  I know you are saying no trade outs, but I don't believe there would be NO options.

HOWEVER...In the spirit for which you intended this experiment, I would probably say George Karlaftis.  POSSIBLY Charles Cross if they do indeed give up on Becton.  

20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I will just say this about Karlaftis.  I could be right, I could be wrong.  Based on watching him several times, full games, as well as Hutchinson and the Bosas etc, the main thing I see different about him and those guys is that those guys played along side at least one other 1st RD DLineman and multiple pros at ever level of the defense.

If Karlaftis had anywhere near that much talent around him, I think the production discussion would be non existent and he’d probably be considered at minimum on par with Hutchinson and Thibideux 

That's a good point, especially for the Bosas, Chase Youngs,.... and Quinnen Williams' of the world.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed about Karlaftis' athleticsm.  He is a great athlete.  Below is from Bruce Feldman's (The Athletic) list of top 50 Athletic Freaks in college football this season.  He has Karlaftis at 7.  I don't know how good a pro he will be, but athelticism is not likely what will hold him back.

One of the biggest recruits the Boilers have landed in the last decade, Karlaftis began his career with a bang, with 17 TFLs and 7.5 sacks in 2019 as a freshman. He had two sacks in three games in an abbreviated 2020, but expectations about him are soaring for 2021. Karlaftis is a remarkable all-around athlete. He played on the U16 Greek national water polo team as a 13-year-old and then became a two-time Indiana state champ in the shot put and started for three seasons on his high school basketball team. At 272 pounds, Karlaftis’ body fat has dropped from 25 percent to 15 percent at Purdue. He power cleans 380, did a 505-pound front squat, a 10-1 broad jump and a 37-inch vertical jump. His 40 this offseason was 4.69. As part of his preparation, he spends an hour a day doing hand-to-hand combat and MMA drills, an hour on rehab/mobility exercises and a third hour watching film.

His position coach Mark Hagan has coached big-time players and says Karlaftis’ overall commitment to being elite is as good as anyone he’s ever been around in terms of “proper nutrition, proper hydration, extra time in the training room to take care of his body, extra stretching, extra meeting and video, extra drill work — every day. I’ve literally got to shut him down at times so he doesn’t overtrain.”

Okay, y'all have sold me.

Karlaftis it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Thibodeaux, Hutchinson and Neal just went picks 1-3. There’s no trade down partner available. Who’s the pick? 

I think it’s Kyle Hamilton and it’s not even that hard of a pick!

If Karlaftis blows up the combine (I think he will) and there's no real question marks that arise between now and the draft- HE is the pick. 

*One exception is Ojabo and Johnson. Both guys have the potential to absolutely blow up their stock and I love both Edge prospects. I'd be happy with any one of these 3 guys and it would depend on who Saleh thinks is the best fit. But right now I am high on Karlaftis at 4 because I really don't think he will be there once our Seattle pick rolls around.  

Hamilton is tempting. But I just can't pass on an Edge rusher. Just can't do it. If Hamilton is there at the Seattle pick, I'll seriously consider it. The ole safety swap- Jamal Adams for Kyle Hamilton...lol

• Upvote 1

For EDGE, that is one position where the measureables tend to dictate with great accuracy how good of of an NFL player a prospect will be.  If Karlaftis can back up his play with great measureables, he puts him self in discussion for a high first round pick.  But when you look at some recent picks for example, you hope that he looks more like a Greg Rousseau or Jaelen Phillips (mid first round) than AJ Epenesa, who did not have the measureables even though he was a solid college player.  

But we can’t ignore where the Jets pick.  If they pick 4 the likely best prospect will be Neal or Okwonu.   For their second pick, likely a top WR.   The Jets can easily fill LB and TE with their second round picks.  But if one of their first round picks can be converted to a first round and another first/second round, I don’t see the Jets really giving up much in terms of talent acquired.  

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

To be 100% honest, one of the big reasons I’m so high on Karlaftis is because his discussion reminds of the discussion about Wirfs a few years ago. He is not your “prototypical” DE build for a pure pass rusher.  Wirfs wasn’t your prototypical tackle bulid(arm length).  However I think both of them are so freakishly strong that they don’t get credit for how incredibly smooth athletically they are.  Karlaftis is not a finished product in terms of technique, but I don’t agree with calling him raw either.  I’d say he’s average for his point in his career.

And as that article points out, he’s relentless when it comes to self improvement.  Like I said, he may not pan out, but I’m willing to bet on him.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thanks for posting. I think it was Daniel Jeremiah that said this but teams take pro day and combine numbers the same. The idea that combine numbers are more valuable is a fan thing.

If he puts up these numbers, he’s a powerful dude. Checks off everything except bend.

The other big debate is going to be WR. On his podcast, D Jeremiah hinted that the league has 6 guys rated roughly the same. The big 6 are no particular order: Wilson, Olave, Burks, London, Williams and Dotson. The question for teams is what type of WR do you want?

If the Jets want the z position to be a guy like Deebo, maybe the guy we target is Treylon Burks. Or A big outside basketball player type like London.

If we want that z guy to be a burner type guy who gets a lot of separation, maybe it’s Williams, Dotson Olave, or Wilson.

FYI - DJ will have Wilson a the top of his list.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah Denver as well as a trade down partner.  They have a stacked roster just no QB.  They have picks #11 and #43 for a total value of 1720 and our #4 pick is traditionally valued at 1800 - maybe something can be worked out, maybe they'd even give up #11 and one of their promising young widouts.

WFT needs a QB, maybe the Eagles, Panthers too though it'd be bad PR for them to trade with us again and we already have their 2 and 4.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

To set the record straight,  I don't want us to draft Karlaftis. But to say he doesn't have the production to back it up simply isn't true. In fact he's been productive since his freshman year recording 50+ pressures unless we're judging productivity simply on sacks alone. It's not like he's at Michigan in which the opposing teams has to pick their poison in regards to which edge defender they must double team. Nor does he gets to feast off the pressure created from a teammate. Pre-snap the offense makes it necessity to get a chip on Karlaftis as he's the main and only focal point. Same goes for Thibodeaux.

this is exactly why hutch makes me nervouse.......and the other dude obajay or whatever? double nervous!

52 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The other big debate is going to be WR. On his podcast, D Jeremiah hinted that the league has 6 guys rated roughly the same. The big 6 are no particular order: Wilson, Olave, Burks, London, Williams and Dotson. The question for teams is what type of WR do you want?

If the Jets want the z position to be a guy like Deebo, maybe the guy we target is Treylon Burks. Or A big outside basketball player type like London.

If we want that z guy to be a burner type guy who gets a lot of separation, maybe it’s Williams, Dotson Olave, or Wilson.

FYI - DJ will have Wilson a the top of his list.

You grab the big burks/london guy first. The big guys are hard to find.

Then in later rounds take a speedster to stretch the field. simple

I agree with the sentiment though that it doesnt matter if your the best rated wr (wilson/williams) or the lower rated 1sts (burke/london) because none of them stand out. So go tal and big i say

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alka said:

NO way, he has not had a great  2021, down significantly from his year in 2019.  

I will give you 3 viable picks at #4 in this scenario:

1. Derek Stingley, Jr.  -  The best cornerback in the draft.

2. Tyler Linderbaun-   The best center in the draft from the last several years.

3. Icky Ekwonu-     The most dominant run blocking tackle in the country.

And I don't want to hear about Kyle Hamilton, since there is no way the Jets should be drafting a safety with the #4 pick.

Just shared this in the draft thread about him, but I was just told there are some legitimate rumblings inside the program the last day or 2 that it is far from a certainty that Linderbaum is leaving early and may even be leaning ever so slightly at going back to school.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This sounds like the definition of an all gas Robert Saleh player

• Upvote 1

This is a tough scenario. I’m not even sure we’d take Neal if he was available at 4. I get the sense that the no-brained pick is either Hutchinson or Thibodeaux. Beyond that, it really comes down several factors such as who we get in FA, does the front office have faith in Becton, who on the oline is JD planning to resign/extend (fant, moses, McGovern).

At this point, I think you take the next sure-fire bonafide prospect which is linderbaum. This franchise has seen first hand how a good center with chemistry with the QB can impact everything (mawae and mangold anyone?) Then you pray for either Karlaftis or Ojabo at 7 and potentially trade up into the first again by combining our 2nd, a 3rd and 4th to move up for a WR (I like treylon Burks). 

That’s my pipedream hope at this point subject to change of course post combine. I think it’s imperative we somehow walk away with a top WR like Wilson, Burks or Williams. There are several FA TEs that I think we can target to fill that hole for now.

22 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yeah Denver as well as a trade down partner.  They have a stacked roster just no QB.  They have picks #11 and #43 for a total value of 1720 and our #4 pick is traditionally valued at 1800 - maybe something can be worked out, maybe they'd even give up #11 and one of their promising young widouts.

WFT needs a QB, maybe the Eagles, Panthers too though it'd be bad PR for them to trade with us again and we already have their 2 and 4.

Denver has two picks in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th rounds.  So they have ammo to move up, and trading them could potentially net 3 picks for our #4.  I have Washington as my number two trade partner, and they may be willing to give up some value, especially if they believe that the divisional rival Giants may be in the market for a QB, but a straight up trade would be 2 picks for 2 picks.  

Quick Glance

(NYJ, 1, #4): 1800
(NYJ, 4, #132): 40

(WAS 1, #9): 1350
(WAS 2, #41): 490

(DEN 1, #11): 1250
(DEN 2, #43): 470
(DEN 4, #80): 80

9 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

karlaftis seems to have a great attitude and work ethic.

plus he played water polo? I know none of you fat slobs have played WP, let me tell you its one of the hardest sports. You need lots of endurance and huge lungs

He was goalie, so he's basically built his stamina by treading water for 40 minutes straight.  The dude is a beast in the 4 QTR after playing double-teams all game, when the OL is sucking wind.