How should JD go about acquiring a WR?

Rhg1084

How do the Packers franchise tag Davante Adams if the below is true? Someone that is a cap wizard please explain that to me. 

After the Packers restructured Rodgers’ deal, pushing almost $10 million of cap dollars to next year to create space for this year, the Packers are now almost $50 million over the salary cap in 2022, according to Over the Cap. The Packers have $257 million worth of contracts committed to 52 players for the 2022 season.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

• Haha 1

Jets could use a day one impact. Trade is probably the highest probability of getting a good player. Free agency is a minefield - Corey Davis was actually relatively productive relative to last year’s free agency class. Wide receiver is always risky in the draft.

Metcalf seems like he’d cost the most, I’m not sure how well he fits the scheme.

Ridley probably would be in the middle draft capital cost wise - but also is due for an extension which may get him into Cooper’s range cap wise for a longer term. Probably decreases the cost to acquire him. Think he’s a good scheme fit. Boils down to his mental health situation and no matter how many Internet psychologists we have here none of us actually know what that’s like. If that checks out and they can agree to an extension a second round pick would be fine.

Cooper is expensive but also controlled at that cost for a few years and cuttable. The contract should reduce his value on the trade market - Cowboys have a bad cap situation. Think he’s a scheme fit and he’s not much older than Ridley. If he’s the cheapest draft capital wise - late day two, early day three - then he’s probably the most interesting in terms of not giving up a lot of draft capital for a good chance at an upgrade.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Which is the most preferable choice:

Trade a 2 for Ridley

Trade pick 10 for DK

Trade maybe a 3 or 4 for Amari (take on contract)

Free agency (Mike Williams, Allen Robinson, Godwin, Gallup)

Draft (Wilson, Burks, Olave, Williams) 

I think its too difficult to speculate on trades. 

Who knows if Ridley will be available for a 2 or Amari for a 3 or 4. 

Personally I think Seattle wants more that one 1st rounder for DK. Even if its the 10th pick overall. 

Its one thing to talk about drafting guys- we have 2 high draft picks in Rd. 1 and 2. Its one thing to talk about signing FAs, we have lots of cap space. Its another to talk about trades for specific players at specific draft capital. 

Having said that the clear answer is BOTH. 

FIRST, JD needs to re-sign Berrios b/c he provides depth, contributes on special teams, would probably want to stay here in NY/NJ and will probably not cost a lot. 

THEN he needs to go after a legit starter in FA. He did this when he brought in Davis- even though many will say he whiffed b/c Davis had an inconsistent, injury plagued year. 

FINALLY he needs to draft another WR because our pipeline of talent is not great and Mims is rapidly approaching bust status. 

• Upvote 2

Only problem is Zach needs an established guy, this is a huge year for him. The free agent market is very iffy and these rookies aren’t anything special. The Jets have so much draft capital it might be worth bringing in an established star like Armari or Ridley 

This!!!  I also would like to keep all our picks but it seems like experienced WR's really help young QB's.

Look at Allen/Diggs in BUF and Murray/Hopkins in ARZ (and when Hopkins went out Murray tanked).

I would like Ridley but he's risky because can you be sure he's over his mental health issues

• Upvote 2

from what i've been reading there aren't any receivers worth either the 4 or 10 pick.  imo douglas has to go to the strength of the draft and that could mean defense.  but maybe it could also mean using one of the top picks on a te, assuming there's one worth of the pick.  the jets really haven't had a really good te since shuler and we saw wilson make some good yard throwing to griffen and kroft.  they really a good no. 1 receiver.  put out a new guy with davis and moore and the jets would have a pretty good set of starters.  throw in a te and with a healthy carter it could be a pretty interesting passing attack.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Do not trade any draft capital.

Free agent and draft.  

With how the top of the draft is looking so far, if we can't trade down from 4 or 10, I wouldn't mind dealing one of those picks for a proven WR.

Who, though? No idea. Just someone good.

• Upvote 1

I just don't see JD signing a big time WR in FA.  

The Jets are still a year or two away from being playoff contenders.  At most I think he goes after a mid tier FA WR with a team friendly contract.

2023 or 2024 would be when he chooses to spend like a drunken sailor.

IMHO.

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Sign two tight ends (Schultz and Everett?), a wr (Mike Williams?), resign Berrios and draft a wr in the first or 2nd round (Wilson?) and a tight end in the 4th or 5th (Ferguson?).  A trade of Denzel Mims for Jalen Reagor could make sense too.

Wr depth chart

Davis, Williams, Moore, Berrios, Wilson, Reagor

Te depth chart

Schultz, Everett, Ferguson, Wesco

Looks good to me.  

Wow, so you're just going to completely ignore Yeboah, aren't you?

shame

53 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Personally I think Seattle wants more that one 1st rounder for DK. Even if its the 10th pick overall. 

No way Seattle agrees to trade with us again so soon, lol.

That'd be like going back to the same restaurant that gave you salmonella poisoning a week ago.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, peebag said:

I just don't see JD signing a big time WR in FA.  

The Jets are still a year or two away from being playoff contenders.  At most I think he goes after a mid tier FA WR with a team friendly contract.

2023 or 2024 would be when he chooses to spend like a drunken sailor.

IMHO.

2023 or 2024? This is the pressure year for Douglas! The team needs to compete and Zach needs to do well. He needs all the help he can get. A middle of the road FA WR Keelan Cole type isn’t going to cut it. He needs a legitimate #1 option 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Every  free agent in the past 10 years has been rumored to go to the Pats.  

And we've actually drafted a QB because folks here we were ascared that Belli was going to draft him lol.

F*cking James Morgan.  I wish Belli had drafted him.  

Having available cap space for no reason other than 'we're not ready yet' is stupid.  They didn't spend like crazy last year because he was clearing the cap.  Now that the cap has been cleared, he can spend as much as he wants of it.  The thing JD needs to do is not be stupid and give garbage contracts that blow up the cap and necessitate the purges that seem to happen with teams every few years.  He did 1 year contracts for guys last year pretty much exclusively.  Now you fill that cap space with the guys who proved themselves and new FA.  Draft BPA for the first 2/3 rounds and use the rest to fill spots where you can.  That last part is my new draft philosophy.  Ignore everything about what you need, just take the best players for the first few rounds.  Not combiners or workout warriors or wonderlic masters.  Straight up what the tape shows. 

Man i am stoned....  sorry for rambling

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, undertow said:

Who says WRs are not necessary for a teams success?  I think some people just think you don't need to give up high picks via trade or draft which the Tweet proves.  I'm not against either but that's reframing the argument. 

There are plenty of people that continually say that the talent around the QB is irrelevant to success.  

Trade one of those 2nd rounders for Cooper.

The guy is still only 27 and has been one of the better route running technicians in the league since he was drafted.

Cooper, Davis, Moore and Berrios is a damn solid receiving corps. Add a big bodied, high upside receiver like Christian Watkins or George Pickens in the 3rd round and you’re really in business.

• Upvote 3

Really don’t like DK without a borderline HoF QB throwing to him. Ridley off the field scares me too.

If Amari’s contract lowers his price to a second rounder, 100% do it. We have too much money and no one to pay anyway.

Otheriwse, give Davante whatever he wants in FA (completely dependent of course on both GB and OAK not wanting him, since he’ll definitely take less for one of them).

Then, draft a WR outside of Rd 1 and hope he doesn’t pull a Denzel.

• Upvote 1

2023 or 2024? This is the pressure year for Douglas! The team needs to compete and Zach needs to do well. He needs all the help he can get. A middle of the road FA WR Keelan Cole type isn’t going to cut it. He needs a legitimate #1 option 

What Zach needs is a true #1 - which is a guy that can win 1 on 1 battles regularly.

Ultimately what all QB's and especially young ones need to thrive is when your first read gets open often.

That's the trick - If you're a young QB - and you have that stud...he's the first read very often and when he's open it makes the young QB's life immensely easier.  

Jets don't have that player on this team - Maybe Moore can become that guy but he's 5' 10"...

JD knows this and knows if ZW doesn't look good this year - JD's is very quickly on the hot seat.  I expect to him see him get aggressive in the TE and WR market.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Trade one of those 2nd rounders for Cooper.

The guy is still only 27 and has been one of the better route running technicians in the league since he was drafted.

Cooper, Davis, Moore and Berrios is a damn solid receiving corps. Add a big bodied, high upside receiver like Christian Watkins or George Pickens in the 3rd round and you’re really in business.

Throw into that a legitimate starting TE and yes, we have , for the first time in over a decade and offensive roster that can call itself NFL caliber.

• Upvote 2