Joe Douglas’ Jets rosters will be built, not bought, while he’s GM

The common thesis from the you  need to have patience folks and those that love what Joe is doing- my question to you is how many years more do we need to wait ?  What are your expectations for this coming year knowing Joe has plenty of draft capital? 

Is it reasonable to expect 5-6 wins  ?  I have been extremely negative about Joe as I fully believe he is as bad as MAC and Izadick as shown by he the teams record and not even covering the spread most games which means not even competing most weeks

if Joe can achieve  7 wins this year I will buy in and become optimistic and a supporter. Another 2-4 win season and I say Joe would have shown his plan is not working 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

You realize he's already three years in.

While fans may discount his first year with Gase, his contract doesn't.

2022 is year 4. 

Not much time left to "win consistently before 5 years are up", given to "win consistently" would mean, at the very least, two winning seasons in a row.

Are you putting money down that 2022 and 2023 are winning seasons?

this is what people seem to be missing...he isn't on year 2.

the 7-9 was kind of a bullsh*t record we all know that...so you are talking about:

7-9
2-14
4-13

Bengals which i think is a fair comparison

2-14
4-11
10-7 (trip to the bowl)

You can make the Burrow argument, but JD also got a high pick QB...he didn't have to pick him if he didnt think he was going to = Wins...like the Broncos and the Browns chose not to.

Bottom line: JD does business the way he does business, but 4 years is a long time in the NFL. Patience is in the rear view mirror now...wins or gtfo.

neverending story work GIF

We should be more competitive this year with all the FA acquisitions + draft.

JD is doing his part, now is up to the players and coaches to perform. If we can stay healthy and build from last season's momentum, we should be a .500 team or better.

Edited: 

*We should be .470/.529 or better.

*Credit: @The Crusher

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

IDK who he will draft but if he doesn’t draft a WR with one of his top 4 draft picks, I’ll be first to pitch in the “fire JD” billboards if Wilson plays like he did last year. As for those fat contracts, the already good teams handed them out to help their already solid QBs, yet Jets thought it was a good idea to not bring in proper help for their struggling QB. Unless you think the 2500 yards over 11 years by two TEs is an improvement. 

Yeah you wanna build through the draft but when you don’t have a solid track record, perhaps try not to put all those eggs in the draft basket. If the draft pick (assuming we draft a WR early on) gets injured (most likely scenario for JD picks), then Moore n Davis ain’t doing sh!t for Wilson. 

He brought in 2 TE's in FA... He got 2 that were less than the amount other teams spent for 1 WR. This offense is TE friendly, and we had NONE. There was no TE to throw to in this offense to take any pressure of our WR's. Granted we don't have the best WR yet, and I'm giving Moore this year since Wilson was not very good last year, but those 2 TE's should help out very nicely. I'd rather get someone like Burks or Watson at WR from the draft then spend 30mil on a WR. Just makes sense.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bronx said:

neverending story work GIF

We should be more competitive this year with all the FA acquisitions + draft.

JD is doing his part, now is up to the players and coaches to perform. If we can stay healthy and build from last season's momentum, we should be a .500 team or better.

So 8 1/2 wins? 8-9 wins. Healthy. Yeah, that would be nice. 

• Haha 1

Rebuilds take time that’s just the reality. The Jets  are in a much better position than a year ago.  We added a lot of talent in FA in smart moves, our 2021 draft looks really good, we have 4 picks in the top 38.  I know some fans want to be awesome right away but forage Patient.  I do think the team take a nice step forward this season 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bronx said:

You are right, no more .500 record unless there is a tie. 

So we should be a .470/.529 or better. Lol!

No I think that’s still a good indicator, 8 being the less they should get and 9 being a very good year. I mean 10!!, after the last few years here, straight up YAHTZEE!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rldev said:

And yet the same top teams are in the playoffs every year for how long now? 

By top teams you mean 14 of the 32.   That's almost 44% of the league every year.   The Bengals haven't been in the playoffs for 5 consecutive years.  Tampa Bay before they traded for Brady hadn't been in the playoffs for 12 years.   The Browns before last year weren't in the playoffs for 19 years.

A mediocre roster with a decent coaching staff gets into the NFL playoffs on a regular basis.  The Jets aren't a normal dysfuntcional team.  The Jets are one of the worst run organizations in the league.  

Getting the Jets to the playoffs by "building" the right way should get you into the playoffs at least 4 times every 10 years.   Winning a SB takes a lot more than "building" the right way.   The Rams certainly didn't build the way the Bengals did last year.   The Rams built their SB team through the draft.  The O was suppossed to be built around Gurley and Goff.  They were extremely flexible when it was clear that wouldn't get it done. 

38 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

He brought in 2 TE's in FA... He got 2 that were less than the amount other teams spent for 1 WR. This offense is TE friendly, and we had NONE. There was no TE to throw to in this offense to take any pressure of our WR's. Granted we don't have the best WR yet, and I'm giving Moore this year since Wilson was not very good last year, but those 2 TE's should help out very nicely. I'd rather get someone like Burks or Watson at WR from the draft then spend 30mil on a WR. Just makes sense.

I think some want a big name splash for the sake of doing it.  When another team makes a move I’ve noticed the reaction on here is “Joe is asleep at the wheel” yet he brought in two good TE which like you said we had none, we drafted Elijah Moore, Michael Carter, signed Davis, we will most likely draft a WR at 10 so he us acquiring weapons without overpaying

11 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think some want a big name splash for the sake of doing it.  When another team makes a move I’ve noticed the reaction on here is “Joe is asleep at the wheel” yet he brought in two good TE which like you said we had none, we drafted Elijah Moore, Michael Carter, signed Davis, we will most likely draft a WR at 10 so he us acquiring weapons without overpaying

people want the von miller big time contract...but the truth is those guys only make sense for teams that are close. Oakland isnt paying Adams 30m per year if they dont feel like they could be a SB team in the next 2 years.

Douglas plan is simple. Build through the draft and sensible signings until you are a "good team"...then have the cap flexibility to make the big splash moves with short term payoff i.e. Von Miller.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

people want the von miller big time contract...but the truth is those guys only make sense for teams that are close. Oakland isnt paying Adams 30m per year if they dont feel like they could be a SB team in the next 2 years.

Douglas plan is simple. Build through the draft and sensible signings until you are a "good team"...then have the cap flexibility to make the big splash moves with short term payoff i.e. Von Miller.

In the NFL you can turn things around in 2 years. Parcells did it at every stop.

Jets need a premium WR this offseason. This is the 3rd offseason of Douglas as the GM. The rebuild slowly period is gone. 

If the Jets can’t get to at least 7 wins this year, with a couple in the division, the Joe Douglas fan club will dwindle significantly. Calling for patience last year with a rookie head coach, rookie offensive coordinator, rookie QB, and the youngest team in the league was the right and fair call. Now everyone’s gotten their feet wet, the systems are installed, and another round of free agents have been added. More starters expected in the draft. Tangible results are required. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

You know what, you’re right.  Let’s just fire JD and the coaching staff , unload all the “bad” players that have been drafted/signed and start over.

Forget the fact that maybe, just maybe, this team could be set up for long term success for possibly the second time in history.

no need to fire anyone this year.  Adjust your expectations tho, JD doesn’t expect to win, we shouldn’t either. 

Can you think of a team with long term success that didn’t coincide with a star QB in their prime? Maybe the titans but they have a HOF runner 

you don’t get long term success by filling potholes and trading established players before you have to pay them 

I fear woody found his perfect GM. Keep the distractions and scandals low, keep expenses low, keep the fans fooled, keep playing golf and shopping for yachts 

cabin fever hamster GIF

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

In the NFL you can turn things around in 2 years. Parcells did it at every stop.

Jets need a premium WR this offseason. This is the 3rd offseason of Douglas as the GM. The rebuild slowly period is gone. 

Disagree.  I’m open to it if it makes sense but I think he is doing a good job and the plan is evolving.  

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Our fan base seems afflicted with impatient ADD.

"Are we there yet...."

"Are we there yet...."

"Are we there yet...."

"Are we there yet...."

"But daaaaaaaad.... I want a desawwwwwn Watson doll toooo......whaaaaaaa"

"Are we there yet...."

"Are we ther .........

I've just spent 21.5 percent of my life NOT watching playoff football all the while being basically obsessed with this franchise.  

I spent less time waiting from the onset of puberty to the time a woman let me have her for thirty six glorious seconds.

Never thought I'd have to go through it again but here it is. This team has got my balls bluer than an Elvis Presley Christmas. 

If the Bible was being written today there'd be a fckin chapter in it about me. 

Honest question, are you a Buddhist monk, by any chance? I ask because those dudes are famous for their bad analogies.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3