Chris Olave

PS17

Is there any reason he’s not being considered at 10? He’s got sub-4.40 speed, is the best route runner in the class, and is taller than his teammate Garrett Wilson. Very productive in college as a deep threat and as a tactician on short/intermediate routes. I don’t see how he’s not in the top tier of receivers with Wilson, London, and Burks (and maybe Jameson too). 

Wanted to share this video I saw earlier breaking down Wilson and Olave. Credit to @TuscanyTile2 for initially sharing.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

He does seem to be somewhat underrated in the "draft community" I looked up the consensus big board here: https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2022/consensus-big-board-2022?pos=WR

and on average he is slotted as the #3 receiver (very close w/ Willias & Burks). 

I think the reason he specifically is not being mentioned for the Jets is threefold: 

1) Most mocks the Jets are picking the 1st or 2nd WR off the board.  Wilson and London are generally (backed up by the consensus above) thought of as being the top two WRs by the people making these mocks 

2) I do think people think Wilson>Olave - they were both on the same team and while Olave outproduced Wilson in 2020 - Wilson I think was definitely the more productive player than Olave last year. It was close - but same team - slightly better performance - and very similar athletic testing leans people towards the guys w/ better/more recent numbers 

3) Olave doesn't really have a defining trait. I'd say its his route running - but I haven't heard people gush about that like they did w/ say Jerry Jeudy. His speed was below Wilsons at the combine - definitely below Williams, hes not as big as London or Burks. I think as silly as that may be to an NFL team - it matters in these pre-draft media analysis. I wouldn't be shocked if he is the 2nd or 3rd WR off the board - but I think its easy for someone putting together a mock to say "Zach Wilson needs a big body thats not there - so the pick is London" or "Zach needs a deep threat trade down and get Jameson Williams" 

I do think he is a high floor player and wouldn't be bummed if he was chosen. That all being said I do like Wilson and London more. 

• Upvote 2

Personally I think he's a little better overall than Garrett Wilson. I don't get why he's being overlooked. Better route runner, faster, very quick. I guess scouts like Wilson's Rac abilities. Both will do well at the pro level but I'd be happy with Olave.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Olave is smoother than Wilson IMO. They are pretty similar in every measurable. Wilson had a better vert but Olave the better broad jump. Both ran sub 4.4 at 4.39 and 4.38. 

Think they’re basically the same guy 6 feet tall and just under 190 lbs  

wislon rated as boom or bust and Olave rated as starter within 2 yrs. So take it for what it’s worth. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

All I know is 2-3 years ago I saw Olace play for the first time and he had a monster game.  Just torched a team.  At that time, I thought for sure he’d be a future “best receiver in the draft type”.  He is the most effortless/fluid athlete I can recall seeing at the position in some time.  Just the way he moved around the field is mesmerizing.  I don’t get too deep down into the woods on what makes one guy top 10 and another guy RD, because lots of times I can’t tell for guys I don’t watch every week.  

That said, my memory of Olave much more than it is for Wilson.  

Was he not going to be one of the top WRs had he not stayed another year in school. I don’t think anyone had him as the top WR but I think I remember people having him as the 2nd or 3rd wr before he made his decision to return to school public

maybe I have that wrong. 

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the consensus is Olave's exclusively a slot receiver

Not sure about that.  I simply don't know.  But there was also a belief that Elijah Moore would also primarily be a slot receiver at the NFL level.

While it still could be the case that with better outside WRs Moore's best utilization would be in the slot, I think we've seen enough evidence from the Jets that he can succeed on the outside.  Height is his really Moore's only deficiency.  If he were over 6' we'd never have landed him at the top of the 2nd last year.  He would have been a Top 15 pick.

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

and therefore less valuable than someone that can play on the outside.

WRs absolutely lose draft value if they're perceived as slot only guys.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

Was he not going to be one of the top WRs had he not stayed another year in school. I don’t think anyone had him as the top WR but I think I remember people having him as the 2nd or 3rd wr before he made his decision to return to school public

maybe I have that wrong. 

I honestly can’t quite remember exactly either, but my recollection was he was the next big thing after his Sophomore season and now is just a smidge less regarded.

42 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the consensus is Olave's exclusively a slot receiver and therefore less valuable than someone that can play on the outside.

Olave is a three-level threat. Will be able to thrive in just about every offensive system in the league. Best route runner by far in this class.

Averaged more than15.5 yards per reception for his career.

Olave is a explosive play waiting to happen.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, PackerNation said:

Olave is a three-level threat. Will be able to thrive in just about every offensive system in the league. Best route runner by far in this class.

Don't tell anybody, he'll get picked before the Packers get a chance!

2 hours ago, PS17 said:

Is there any reason he’s not being considered at 10? He’s got sub-4.40 speed, is the best route runner in the class, and is taller than his teammate Garrett Wilson. Very productive in college as a deep threat and as a tactician on short/intermediate routes. I don’t see how he’s not in the top tier of receivers with Wilson, London, and Burks (and maybe Jameson too). 

Wanted to share this video I saw earlier breaking down Wilson and Olave. Credit to @TuscanyTile2 for initially sharing.

Every time I watched college ball, Olave stood out as the best WR I saw last year.

I’m no expert on the position, but I can’t understand the lack of attention either. I’d take him gladly if I was going WR at #10.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, PackerNation said:

Book it! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

All I know is 2-3 years ago I saw Olave play for the first time and he had a monster game.  Just torched a team.  At that time, I thought for sure he’d be a future “best receiver in the draf” type.  He is the most effortless/fluid athlete I can recall seeing at the position in some time.  Just the way he moves around the field is mesmerizing.  I don’t get too deep down into the woods on what makes one guy top 10 and another guy RD2 because lots of times I can’t tell for guys I don’t watch every week.  

That said, my memory of Olave much more than it is for Wilson.  

Kind of how I feel.  I was shocked that Olave is faster.  I figured that was why Wilson was higher.  Like Ruggs and Jeudy.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, PackerNation said:

matt-lafleur.gif.10e43da28a6989bb7b505c281104a931.gif

Best route runner in the class? That’s exactly the reason he isn’t in the top 5 conversation. He can at timesSloppy, and lacks physicality. Routes are inconsistent.

Why don’t break down Tolbert and Drummond for me. Help me appreciate that you have any sense of what pointing at. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Best route runner in the class? That’s exactly the reason he isn’t in the top 5 conversation. He can at timesSloppy, and lacks physicality. Routes are inconsistent.

Why don’t break down Tolbert and Drummond for me. Help me appreciate that you have any sense of what pointing at. 

Kiper is all about Skyy Moore right now. Have you watched any of him? 

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the consensus is Olave's exclusively a slot receiver and therefore less valuable than someone that can play on the outside.

Not correct. He can play inside  or out.

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

"Routes are inconsistent" 

Now you are just making stuff up. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Kiper is all about Skyy Moore right now. Have you watched any of him? 

I think @Chrebetfan80 has spend more time on him than I. Too much redundancy there for me w/ Berrios. He's more sudden and dynamic, he manage some reps outside... 

Honestly, he's better WR than Olave, technically speaking.