How concerned should fans be with the salary cap?

jgb

How concerned should fans be about the cap? (AKA The Barry McCockinner poll)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. THE CAP

• It's critically important. Serious fans pay attention to this stuff.
    • It's important. Cap management is a key ingredient for sustainable success.
    • It matters but fans underestimate the flexibility teams have with bonus money and that it usually increases every few years.
    • It's overblown. Cap-savings/roll-over $ eases fan disappointment from missing out on players we want.
    • It basically doesn't matter. Teams can fit whoever they want if they are creative enough.

Lot of discussion about the cap on these forums. Saving cap space, rolling over cap dollars, "we should sign him at the right price," etc.

I wonder, how concerned do YOU think the average fan (you and I) should really be about the cap?

• Haha 1

Just now, jgb said:

Lot of discussion about the cap on these forums. Saving cap space, rolling over cap dollars, "we should sign him at the right price," etc.

I wonder, how concerned do YOU think the average fan (you and I) should really be about the cap?

I am not the average fan but i vote for number 2.

• Haha 3

You can't dramatically over pay for players, it just leads to middle range players getting elite money and frequently then shutting it down, which leads to huge amounts of dead cap year over year.

It matters, but the cap also goes up, so there is that.  Basically, you have to draft enough talent for a base, and then add on to it.  Not enough elite players make it to FA where you can build a team that way.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It really depends on how close the team is to being a bona fide Super Bowl contender. If teams are close then by all means do whatever it takes to bring the Lombardi trophy home. On the other hand if teams are in the Jets position then don’t mortgage the future which may impede you later on when team has improved from making the move for a player or two too put you over the top.

We all saw what McCagnan did and what type of shape he left the franchise in with the asinine contracts he doled out 

• Upvote 2

I voted for "doesn't matter" simply because it feels like the NFL can structure contracts in a way to create Dream Teams similar to the NBA.  Two years ago with Brady/Gronk in Tampa, and last year with guys like Von Miller going to the Rams...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I voted for "doesn't matter" simply because it feels like the NFL can structure contracts in a way to create Dream Teams similar to the NBA.  Two years ago with Brady/Gronk in Tampa, and last year with guys like Von Miller going to the Rams...

Although I understand your point I just can’t see how it won’t eventually catch up and handcuff all the free spending, draft pick trading teams sending them into mediocrity or worse later on

I voted for #2 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Although I understand your point I just can’t see how it won’t eventually catch up and handcuff all the free spending, draft pick trading teams sending them into mediocrity or worse later on

I voted for #2 

Would you trade a decade of cap hell and mediocrity for one chance at a ring?  I would...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Would you trade a decade of cap hell and mediocrity for one chance at a ring?  I would...

Peek, that’s a tough one. Naturally would love to see another championship before I kack but after going through the past decade of uncompetitive football having the season over before Halloween and being the laughing stock of the NFL really really really sucks. Just hoping the vision JD has in building this team for long term success comes to fruition and fast 

6 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Peek, that’s a tough one. Naturally would love to see another championship before I kack but after going through the past decade of uncompetitive football having the season over before Halloween and being the laughing stock of the NFL really really really sucks. Just hoping the vision JD has in building this team for long term success comes to fruition and fast 

If you have the right combination of ownership, management, scouting and coaching, the build, tear down, rebuild cycle should not be as ridiculously bad as what we have had to endure the past 10+ years.  Well run franchises like the 49ers, Ravens etc. keep their fans satisfied through rebuilds because there is trust in the process.  Woody, in combo with Idzik and Macc, gave us a lost decade which I hope is never repeated.

• Upvote 2

It’s important, but it doesn’t matter if the fans care about it or not. Joe Douglas seems to care, though, and that’s one of the things I like about him. He spends close to the cap without mortgaging the future. That’s what he should be doing right now. The ability to find money or fit in anyone exists, but it’s not free; it has to be paid at some point. No point in borrowing against the future when Vegas has you at 5.5 wins. Now, if Zach can put together a season where @Warfish is pleased -4000/30, 0 milfs, say- then by all means, take out the credit card next year and let’s see how far they can go while he’s on his rookie deal - because the cap matters. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I don’t care about the cap in terms of expenditure or as a direct reflection on Woody Johnson’s wallet. I really care about how it’s used in terms of team building but I am a crazy person who rates 200 draft eligible players in April. In terms of casual (less crazy) fans, I don’t think the cap should matter at all the only thing that matters in winning. 

Love the topic as a catalyst for conversation, so kudos jgb! I have lived 5 decades without a Super Bowl victory, so if getting one at the cost of another 50 years of salary cap he’ll is the price? I will gladly pay it. Let our grandkids figure that out, and complain about it on this forum for half a century.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just remember this discussion the next time you say to yourself, "why is HE getting released/traded?"

You can always play with it, but then you gotta pay the piper.  If you're smart, you're the Rams and you are still hungover into the 4th round when you have your first pick anyway. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

So you must feel more than ok about the team's performance 2011-2020 after Tannenbaum did exactly that in 2010 to try to get to the Super Bowl. I'm not saying it should have taken a decade to feel like the team was starting to turn the corner a little but what you suggest is exactly what happened.

6 hours ago, slats said:

It’s important, but it doesn’t matter if the fans care about it or not. Joe Douglas seems to care, though, and that’s one of the things I like about him. He spends close to the cap without mortgaging the future. That’s what he should be doing right now. The ability to find money or fit in anyone exists, but it’s not free; it has to be paid at some point. No point in borrowing against the future when Vegas has you at 5.5 wins. Now, if Zach can put together a season where @Warfish is pleased -4000/30, 0 milfs, say- then by all means, take out the credit card next year and let’s see how far they can go while he’s on his rookie deal - because the cap matters. 

4000 yards, 30 tuddies, 6 ints, and 2 milfs  -or-  bust.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

So you must feel more than ok about the team's performance 2011-2020 after Tannenbaum did exactly that in 2010 to try to get to the Super Bowl. I'm not saying it should have taken a decade to feel like the team was starting to turn the corner a little but what you suggest is exactly what happened.

If you think about it, what Tannenbaum did was exactly what he was supposed to do.  Load up on FA talent with a QB on a rookie deal and Pro Bowl level talent on the OL and at CB.  The problem came with the tear down and rebuild engineered by Idzik who completely blew the draft in 2013 (Dee Milliner and Geno) and 2014 with the infamous Idzik 12 (Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro).  Followed up by Macc, the team has still not recovered...

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

If you think about it, what Tannenbaum did was exactly what he was supposed to do.  Load up on FA talent with a QB on a rookie deal and Pro Bowl level talent on the OL and at CB.  The problem came with the tear down and rebuild engineered by Idzik who completely blew the draft in 2013 (Dee Milliner and Geno) and 2014 with the infamous Idzik 12 (Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro).  Followed up by Macc, the team has still not recovered...

You’re right about Idzik, but I think the problem started with Rex leveraging his early success into more input toward personnel decisions - which led to a lot of money tied up in bad free agent signings, trades for bad players, and bad draft picks.  Some coaches shouldn’t be allowed to shop for the groceries.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Saw several high-quality players unloaded this off-season because teams couldn't fit them under the cap.  It's not "nothing" but also manageable with a good GM.

• Upvote 3