Merged Becton Injury Thread

Just now, ZachEY said:

In fairness, they essentially buried Mims last year and drafted his replacement this year.

Right, but Mims was still allowed to sleepwalk through the entirety of last season unchecked, and his peers watched every minute of it, along with Becton’s antics. I’m not sure that spending the #10 pick on a guy months later is the same as disciplining him in real time.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s my belief that Saleh is a rah-rah, touchy-feely guy in the Herm Edwards mould and doesn’t really know how to lower the hammer on anyone. I think Ulbrich and LaFleur are like that, too. Touchy feely works on a lot of players, but he’s always going to have a segment of his roster who won’t respond to it. Becton was one of those personalities.

I would have loved to see you posting if the Jets had hired McDaniel instead of Miami. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Gholston because of draft position.

Becton at least showed that he could play well in the league over a span of 10ish games. 

Gholston never made a play and was invisible on the field. Can anyone even remember a tackle that guy made? He was a ghost for real. 

Passing on Wirfs was the real bust.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but Mims was still allowed to sleepwalk through the entirety of last season unchecked, and his peers watched every minute of it, along with Becton’s antics. I’m not sure that spending the #10 pick on a guy months later is the same as disciplining him in real time.

To be fair mims and becton were not drafted by this coaching staff. This staff has had issues with these guys pretty much from day one.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

JD's top OL moves.
- Becton over Wirfs.
- Traded a 1st and two 3rd round picks to move up to pick #14OA for an IOL. Shows a lack of positional value.
- Taking CB at #4 and passing on Ickey. LT has greater positional value and was a much greater need.

with Diggs and the guy in Miami whos name escapes me atm we need a shut down corner more than LT. plus Fant is good enough this year and we probably sign Brown now. plus there will be good OL available in the next few weeks who get cut because of the salary cap. 

LT is important but its not QB. you dont keep using top 12 picks every 2 years on LT until you get it right. i like AVT but i agree i hated using 14OA on a IOL.

if we didnt have 2 top 5 WRs in our own division you might have an argument there. but without Sause there going to abuse us for 4 games a year. and remember last year without Becton we had the 14-15 best OL thats plenty good to win in this league.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Fant isnt going to the right side.  At least im trying to come up with something plausable rather then your scenario which has 0 chance of happening.

The only reason you're "trying to come up with something" is because your hero completely mishandled the tackle situation on this team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

I guess I’m just not a believer that discipline works in any meaningful way at this stage of life.

I think by now, if you’re a dog (not to be confused with dawg), you’re a dog, and going in timeout isn’t going to much to change that.

Could have cut him, I guess, but I’m not sure how that benefitted the team.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

with Diggs and the guy in Miami whos name escapes me atm we need a shut down corner more than LT. plus Fant is good enough this year and we probably sign Brown now. plus there will be good OL available in the next few weeks who get cut because of the salary cap. 

LT is important but its not QB. you dont keep using top 12 picks every 2 years on LT until you get it right. i like AVT but i agree i hated using 14OA on a IOL.

if we didnt have 2 top 5 WRs in our own division you might have an argument there. but without Sause there going to abuse us for 4 games a year. and remember last year without Becton we had the 14-15 best OL thats plenty good to win in this league.

Hill

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

This is very Jets.

And to those of you celebrating or laughing, GO F YO SELF

As always, they are happier being right than seeing the Jets have success.  Somehow it's more fun for them.  Go figure.  Another way the internet has poisoned minds.  Oh boy. I got to tell all those people I don't know on JN that I was right about Becton being a bust and how JD should have drafted Wirfs.  Woo Hoo! I was right! I got 3 minutes of enjoyment from that. Now I can spend another 50+ hours from September to December watching a bad football team. But ....I was right!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Here we go.  The clowns ready to hammer everyone again.  What a miserable bunch.

And yet we have posters here who will tell us all about the master plan and how everything is going great despite what your lying eyes tell you. 

Its like a disease. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So ur calling Saleh a bitch 

well damn 

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

As always, they are happier being right than seeing the Jets have success.  Somehow it's more fun for them.  Go figure.  Another way the internet has poisoned minds.  Oh boy. I got to tell all those people I don't know on JN that I was right about Becton being a bust and how JD should have drafted Wirfs.  Woo Hoo! I was right! I got 3 minutes of enjoyment from that. Now I can spend another 50+ hours from September to December watching a bad football team. But ....I was right!

Its pathetic.

JD will figure it out.  We have plenty of time.  We have in house options and trade options.  This will be a blip on the radar a month from now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I’m wondering how you land on this conclusion?  When did the Jets “have success” and the posters you’re speaking about seemed unhappy, or less happy?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Are you kidding... @freestater is all about that... so is @Jet9 and numerous others... I think you are underestimating the number of people that want JD and Saleh out.

now!! before the season starts. their crazy. he could have drafted the core of a winning team with those 4 1st rd picks. he at least has to get the end of this year to see how they work out.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I haven't see that.  Link?

If you say so.  

I'm pretty well known here, and pretty known as a pessimist and cynic.  I don't want either fired right now.

The Becton situation, and our lack of O-line depth is certainly concerning, as is Zach Wilson just in general, but I'm happy to give the Saleh/JD duo this season to see what they produce.

If, tho, we're again a ~4 win team with the same O-line issues and/or the same weak QB play, that would make us ~17-49 or similar under JD. 

Worse if you exclude the Gase season (which JD defenders regular did in most debates).

Hard to see JD surviving and complete lost season, but who knows.  Only time will tell.

Linked started by ... you got it Freestater...

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also worth noting that both Mims and Becton looked fairly promising as rookies and fell off a cliff when Saleh got here

This is true 

it could also be argued that it’s ultimately much more important how the guys Saleh and Douglas have brought in together perform than it is for Gase leftovers.

this also happens a lot in the league - 2nd year players struggle in new systems. 

also there is a universe where Mims flashes this year 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I guess I’m just not a believer that discipline works in any meaningful way at this stage of life.

I think by now, if you’re a dog (not to be confused with dawg), you’re a dog, and going in timeout isn’t going to much to change that.

Could have cut him, I guess, but I’m not sure how that benefitted the team.

I think every successful leader has a mode of exerting discipline in some way—establishing a clear set of standards, motivating people to reach those standards, and seeing to it that those who fail to meet those standards experience consequences. It doesn’t have to be Parcellsian cruelty and public shaming, but you have to find a way to ensure that one or two aberrant actors aren’t compromising your ability to lead. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

@Jet Nut

Holy Toldeo! Are you taking an L today or what my friend? 

You said he was fat, lazy and out of shape.  Injury doesn’t change that.

Youre just a troll thinking he has to be right even though you never are

Go claim your win rooting against a Jet.