Merged Becton Injury Thread

21 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Someone needs to ask this guy what dose of motivation and discipline was required to prevent Becton's kneecap from slipping out of place again. Serious-minded people on this forum need to know.

This is even worse.

This puts it on the Jets medical staff.

The doctors should have been screaming at the top of their lungs that this kid could not be trusted to hold up physically.

If there’s a bright side to all this, it’s that it happened early so at least the front office has a few options left.

I would move AVT to RT and look for a replacement level RG.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Give me a break.  He's a multi-millionaire and most likely hasn't played enough to be in danger of developing CTE.  Worse case scenario, a knee can be replaced.  He'll be fine.

Playing in the NFL is this dude's dream job, and getting 2 season-ending injuries in a row (possibly) isn't going to do him any favors for the possibility of staying there. So yea, he's a multi-millionaire and probably won't get CTE, but he also won't be able to play, which is what I think he cares about the most. If he didn't, he would have already quit.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This is even worse.

This puts it on the Jets medical staff.

The doctors should have been screaming at the top of their lungs that this kid could not be trusted to hold up physically.

If there’s a bright side to all this, it’s that it happened early so at least the front office has a few options left.

I would move AVT to RT and look for a replacement level RG.

No way, you don't make two moves and weaken two positions.

AVT moved to the other side of the line. Let him be, he will be fine at RG.  If they can't get a RT with Fant playing as well as he did last year, signing an All Pro LG, a veteran center and the kid at RG --- damn if they can't fill in a RT on that line they have bigger problems.

Let's see what the 4th rounder can do there!

• Upvote 3

This is one of the saddest things I've seen on a practice field. I feel really bad for this kid, how was he cleared to even suit up looking at that video before he got hurt. Mekhi Becton should never try to play football again. Nobody who's a Jets fan should be criticizing this boy, because he was brave to even be out there trying to play.

• WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

This was the key part of the article:

While it is technically a new injury, as previously reported, Monday's right knee injury was related to the injury that ended last season for the 23-year-old tackle. Becton's kneecap jumped out of its groove, causing the chip fracture in the process.

The fact that the kneecap subluxation happened so easily in training camp means Becton requires the knee realignment surgery to prevent it from happening again, according to the Pro Football Docs.

There's no question that the inward tilt of his knees make them more susceptible to injury.

Becton previously had a SIC score of 74 heading into this season because the Pro Football Docs had lingering concerns about last year's MCL sprain and dislocated kneecap lingering into this season.

That has proven to be the case, even though the Jets moved him from left tackle to right tackle to alleviate the pressure on his inside leg.

Surgery to realign his kneecap was likely an option last season, but the Jets and Becton elected to rehab the injury.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

image.png.c7f33d3f8002017c4fa5bffe051a0b4b.png

The amount of man-child complaining and accusing surrounding this singular player the past 2.5 years has been insufferable imo.  In a way, I'm glad he won't be playing this year if that means we'll be spared any more of it.  I'm sure a lot of people here will sleep soundly tonight next to their Tristan Wirfs body pillows.

3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

This was the key part of the article:

While it is technically a new injury, as previously reported, Monday's right knee injury was related to the injury that ended last season for the 23-year-old tackle. Becton's kneecap jumped out of its groove, causing the chip fracture in the process.

The fact that the kneecap subluxation happened so easily in training camp means Becton requires the knee realignment surgery to prevent it from happening again, according to the Pro Football Docs.

There's no question that the inward tilt of his knees make them more susceptible to injury.

Becton previously had a SIC score of 74 heading into this season because the Pro Football Docs had lingering concerns about last year's MCL sprain and dislocated kneecap lingering into this season.

That has proven to be the case, even though the Jets moved him from left tackle to right tackle to alleviate the pressure on his inside leg.

Surgery to realign his kneecap was likely an option last season, but the Jets and Becton elected to rehab the injury.

Was just going to post this about the injury. I dealt with patella dislocations for 20 years. Once they happen they likelihood of reoccurrence is high. His toe got caught, he twisted and his patella jumped out of its groove which is  why he fell. The fracture is from the dislocation. 

With a second dislocation he’s going to need surgery.  He’s done for 2022

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

As always, they are happier being right than seeing the Jets have success.  Somehow it's more fun for them.  Go figure.  Another way the internet has poisoned minds.  Oh boy. I got to tell all those people I don't know on JN that I was right about Becton being a bust and how JD should have drafted Wirfs.  Woo Hoo! I was right! I got 3 minutes of enjoyment from that. Now I can spend another 50+ hours from September to December watching a bad football team. But ....I was right!

Smear people as haters or miserable when they bring up legitimate concerns or disagreements then also bash them when they turn out to be right. lol  You deserve extra cookies tonight you have proven you are the most positive fan of a franchise who has been the worst team in sports for the past half century.  This whole cult of positivity since JD has been hired is beyond bizarre. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3

4 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Was just going to post this about the injury. I dealt with patella dislocations for 20 years. Once they happen they likelihood of reoccurrence is high. His toe got caught, he twisted and his patella jumped out of its groove which is  why he fell. The fracture is from the dislocation. 

With a second dislocation he’s going to need surgery.  He’s done for 2022

A little off topic but when it pops out, how painful is it?

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

A little off topic but when it pops out, how painful is it?

First one was the worst. Doctor had to pop it back in. Hurt more going back.  Years of subluxations caused so much damage the pain actually wasn’t horrible. But my knee would swell and be sore for days. But I got to the point I couldn’t do any athletic activity without it being in the back of my mind. Finally had it corrected 7 years ago and knock on wood no issues since ..

the question to have surgery after the first one is tough. Most doctors would vote against it- especially if it was a freak accident. I mean look at Mahomes. But if the reports are accurate Bectons in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Maybe the positive emotions towards the competent GM expand beyond the concerns of a single position and look at the team as a whole and where the talent is now versus when he first took over.

Maybe the positives also come with how it seems that he has improved as GM as time went on and the mistakes are getting minimized each year going forward.

Maybe the negative nit picking of every questionable move gets annoying here and the posters that love to do victory laps every time they are 'proven right' because they had concerns that THE WHOLE FAN BASE HAD... is ridiculous...

Nobody here was over enthusiastic on Becton's offseason..... Some of us though chose to be positive about the situation and got ridiculed about it on every post. Now with this injury all the JD, Becton, Saleh hatred gets piled on and the negative nancys all claim victory on how they were right that Becton was a bust.

I wanted Wirfs too... I chose to be optimistic about this slob... turns out that he failed the effort test. Move on ... JD will sign some sign post and they will still be ok...

To ignore the talent improvement on the team overall versus where they were left with Mikey Mac is a huge miscalculation and misdirected  anger towards a team that is significantly better now then 3 years ago.

When that positivity turns into getting triggered when people disagree with your football opinions or threats of being banned for being too "negative" we have have reached epic proportions of delusion and cult territory.  People need to stop acting like children and have sports debates like big boys.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Might be some confirmation bias on my part, but the reports I was reading seemingly every day said that he was getting cooked for sacks at a pretty high frequency. The most complimentary thing I read about him was that he was “improving” with each practice, but then the knee brace appeared. 

How many players at 370 + play in the NFL on a consistent basis ? I'm not sure the number is very high . Would have loved to see Becton just tear up the league when he was drafted as a rookie but I had a very strong feeling he was not going to be able to sustain high impact play at that weight. I'm not even sure getting down to 350 would have helped much .

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, undertow said:

When that positivity turns into getting triggered when people disagree with your football opinions or threats of being banned for being too "negative" we have have reached epic proportions of delusion and cult territory.  People need to stop acting like children and have sports debates like big boys.

No the problem is as Slats and Maxman stated isn't being critical... Its derailing every single thread into how bad Saleh, JD, Wilson, or Becton is... We don't need to be told in every thread about why you think X screwed up and they will suck because...

• Upvote 1

Guys I’m bummed too.  Let’s keep things in perspective though.  We lost a guy that played one half of one game last year.  On a line that ultimately started to perform better over the year well after he was lost.   I think they ended # 11 overall.   Then the guy shows up out of shape which is really unacceptable.    Than 4 weeks later he shows up down 30 pounds and everyone was so proud of him.   And through all the positive comments we would  hear the same guy kept getting beat for sacks seemingly every day. It’s sad for him but his career with the Jets is over.  Just another reminder of the cost of constant HC/GM transition.   Yes Douglas picked MB and also Mims in his first draft but that was for a coach who ran a totally different scheme.  One year later that coach is gone and we are now running a zone blocking scheme which is no good for bechton and a WCO predicated on precision route running which is no good for Mims.   When taken into a account it’s no surprise that class has been so abysmal.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

With Seattle taking Cross at #9, the Jets didn’t have a sensible OT pick to make at #10.

But the Garrett Wilson pick is useless with a trash starting RT.

Sauce was the right pick at #4.

There is zero doubt in my mind that even if Cross was on the board at #10, Douglas would still have drafted his “playmaker”.

12 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Guys I’m bummed too.  Let’s keep things in perspective though.  We lost a guy that played one half of one game last year.  On a line that ultimately started to perform better over the year well after he was lost.   I think they ended # 11 overall.   Then the guy shows up out of shape which is really unacceptable.    Than 4 weeks later he shows up down 30 pounds and everyone was so proud of him.   And through all the positive comments we would  hear the same guy kept getting beat for sacks seemingly every day. It’s sad for him but his career with the Jets is over.  Just another reminder of the cost of constant HC/GM transition.   Yes Douglas picked MB and also Mims in his first draft but that was for a coach who ran a totally different scheme.  One year later that coach is gone and we are now running a zone blocking scheme which is no good for bechton and a WCO predicated on precision route running which is no good for Mims.   When taken into a account it’s no surprise that class has been so abysmal.  

The way Becton was burying dudes in the run game and walling off the Bosas in year 1, it’s sick that this is where we are now.

The kid looked like he had all-pro talent and in the end it’s all a complete waste.

• Upvote 1

Damn that sucks.  Was really hoping he was gonna put it all together this season.  He is gonna have to drop alot weight.. to continue playing on those knees in the future which likely wont be as a jet. 

going forward im intrigued to see how Brown stuff play out cause he is a LT only and Fant is terrible at RT 

Morgan Moses says hello.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Morgan Moses says hello.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

That 3 year, $15M contract that Moses signed with Baltimore looks like a bargain right now.

I know he probably thought he had a better chance at a guaranteed starting spot (and playoff games) with the Ravens, but that deal looks very reasonable.  I wonder what the Jets offered.

• Upvote 4

In terms of injuries..no team has suffered more than the Jets over the last 3 years..and it’s attributed to unparalleled bad luck.

from an article near the close of last season:

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-injured-team-nfl-2022#:~:text=Once again%2C they rank dead-last in the NFL,officially the least healthy team in the NFL.

“Factoring in each of the last three seasons, the Jets have easily been the most injured team across the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers being the only other team in the same stratosphere.”

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Things that left me as shocked as the Big Buston injury:

Urban Meyer being a disaster in Jacksonville

Julio Jones having an awful season for the Titans

The Vince McMahon XFL reboot failure

Bill Belichick still being a gigantic scumbag

Things that shocked me infinitely more than the Big Buston injury:

Choco Taco being discontinued. WTF?

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You said he was fat, lazy and out of shape.  Injury doesn’t change that.

Youre just a troll thinking he has to be right even though you never are

Go claim your win rooting against a Jet.

Every word is true. Fat, lazy, out of shape, and that led to the injury... again.

Keep your head in the sand. 

• Upvote 1