Jets must see big Zach Wilson picture and start Joe Flacco Week 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Only jet fans would whine about bringing a player who had a 2 week injury back in 4 weeks.  Just unreal.

It has nothing to do with that it’s not the middle of the season. He is playing with a new o-line and his offense has been getting used to Flacco running the offense. As stated multiple times in multiple threads why rush, because we know the history of this medical staff and their continuous blunders and don’t want to see it again. They want their shiny new toy starting on 9/11, and that’s the problem, hopefully that’s not the case but I will go on recorded as it’s a mistake. It’s like watching a train wreck about to happen, and we are yelling GTFO of the way,  then splat! Jet fan life.

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes not being rushed nor is he hobbled.  He was given and extra week to heal and his workout went well yesterday.

But keep ignoring facts.

So to be very very clear Joe: 

If he plays poorly vs. Baltimore, you will not make any excuses or rationalizations or otherwise deflect his responsibility.  

If he is healthy enough to play, and prepared enough to play, then he is healthy and prepared enough to be 100% responsible for his play.  

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If he plays poorly vs. Baltimore, you will not make any excuses or rationalizations or otherwise deflect his responsibility.  

If he is healthy enough to play, and prepared enough to play, then he is healthy and prepared enough to be 100% responsible for his play.  

He will be judged on how I would judge any young player who is making his 12th start in the nfl.  He has a long way to go.  Good or bad, this game doesnt mean much in evaluating him long term.  Its one game.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And what kind of thinking is this?  Excuses??? Rationalizations???  This is what you are thinking about prior to the 1st game of an exciting football season.

Madness I tell you.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The season starts this week.   Why jump ahead to an unknown outcome?  If we win and Zach plays well this place should be going crazy.  If we suck and Zach sucks it's fire everyone and start scouting next years QB prospects. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He will be judged on how I would judge any young player who is making his 12th start in the nfl.  He has a long way to go.  Good or bad, this game doesnt mean much in evaluating him long term.  Its one game.

So if it "doesn't mean much", and it's "just one game", why do you care so passionately that he must start?  

How is the "young player" with a "long way to go" hurt by giving him extra time to practice and get ready?

I would think you would want to give Wilson the best chance to succeed, especially if playing week 1 doesn't matter, is just one game, and won't be a meaningful part of your long term evaluation of him anyway.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

And what kind of thinking is this?  Excuses??? Rationalizations???  This is what you are thinking about prior to the 1st game of an exciting football season.

Madness I tell you.

It's a simple and direct question Joe. 

Only a spineless weasel would avoid a simple, direct answer to it.

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

True that one game is just one game.

But I think the NFL has changed.  I don't think it takes 3+ years to evaluate a QB any more.

I think you can have a pretty good idea within the 1st year and in some cases even right away.

Justin Herbert was literally notified during pre-game warmups vs KC that Tyrod Taylor had some weird injection go wrong with his lung.

Herbert went in unphased and proceeded to ball out vs the Chiefs.  While that was obviously just one game, it proved to be a sign of things to come.

Basically Herbert looked like he belonged from the jump.

Wilson hasn't ever looked comfortable and/or in command to me.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So if it "doesn't mean much", and it's "just one game", why do you care so passionately that he must start?  

How is the "young player" with a "long way to go" hurt by giving him extra time to practice and get ready?

I would think you would want to give Wilson the best chance to succeed, especially if playing week 1 doesn't matter, is just one game, and won't be a meaningful part of your long term evaluation of him anyway.

I see what you did there.

any chance you are my wife and I had no idea she was posting on here?

pulls that on me every discussion.

well done

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Cause he is not being rushed back and has all week to practice.  I cant do this anymore.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If he's healthy he should play - because he's the starting QB and the Jets want to win.  

If he's not 100% he should sit. If he is 100% he should play.  He's a professional football player, making millions of dollars a year to play football.  Going to the playoffs this year starts with week 1.  

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

True that one game is just one game.

But I think the NFL has changed.  I don't think it takes 3+ years to evaluate a QB any more.

I think you can have a pretty good idea within the 1st year and in some cases even right away.

Justin Herbert was literally notified during pre-game warmups vs KC that Tyrod Taylor had some weird injection go wrong with his lung.

Herbert went in unphased and proceeded to ball out vs the Chiefs.  While that was obviously just one game, it proved to be a sign of things to come.

Basically Herbert looked like he belonged from the jump.

Wilson hasn't ever looked comfortable and/or in command to me.

I think that is true , if the QB is playing on a team with good offensive talent surrounding him. Allen didn't look good until they brought in Diggs and other pieces , Herbert had Ekeler, Allen, Williams at the skill positions . Who did the Jets have on O last season , plus the stated with all new systems and coaches last season. 

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Unlike @Joe W. Namath, I'm not in a religious cult.   I'm a long time Jets  fan who hates the Jets.  I'm so diseased by being a Jets fan I should be living in a leper colony.  I want Zach to start because he might be good and if he is the Jets might be entertaining enough so I don't want to rip my eyeballs out of my head in the first half and start cutting myself in the second half just to see if I'm still alive. 

It's the start of the season.  This board is full of out of our fing minds Jets football fans.  Of course we want to see Zach start.  WTF haven't you seen enough crappy football for long enough to make you want to puke?   You have to be out of your mind to want Joe Flacco or Mike White leading the team into game one of the season.   We drafted the kid with the quick release, big arm and off platform throws to kick NFL ass.  

I want to see Zach light it up and after shreading the Ravens Defense have his way with Harbuagh's wife.  

Doesn't mean much.  It's not practice, it's game one of the 2022 NFL season.   It means everything.  This is what real Jets fans live and die for.  

This post made me laugh, cry and should be post of the week. Sadly, I am limited to one reaction. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

I’ll answer it for him. If he plays like sh*t we wait and see if he can improve week 2. If you want to get hysterical about it, go ahead I guess? 

No hysterics.   

I'll do what I always do if he plays badly and/or looks unprepared or unready:

1. Be sad we lost.

2. Continue to engage with the posters here, many of whom will inevitably flip-flop from what they're saying now.

3. Hope we win in Week 2.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

If QB1 is healthy he should play 

2-4 week injury and it’s been 4 weeks 

“Let the knee fully heal” is an irrational take, Wilson will only play if it’s healed. The idea that he needs an extra week is completely arbitrary 

he’s participated in the bulk of offseason program and has been in every meeting 

this babying of Wilson is beyond absurd 

The injury he is coming back from was a result of his refusal/inability to learn.  He was still trying to play hero ball in a *PRESEASON* game and got himself tweaked up.

Now, he needs to cool his heels and watch until and IF that lesson ever makes it through his thick skull

He plays a milf better than any QB in the league.  Now he needs to learn how to handle a football in a professional game.

I dont see ANYTHING other than him being censured to the bench for a few weeks as a strong enough attention-getter to perhaps, MAYBE see him gain some professional wisdom 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not sure Cimini is making any sense here.

If Zach is healthy he should play.  Cimini is making this claim without talking to a doctor.  This is a 2-4 week injury.  It's 4 weeks on Fridasy.

He doesn't need to wait 5 weeks just because Cimini thinks he should.  

How does Cimini know Zach wasn't healed by week 3 and continued to rest an extra week already...Or ready after week 2 and has been resting an extra two weeks?

Zach Wilson is paid to play football - if he's 100% healthy he should play football.

Hey Captain Reading Comprehension,

the article is NOT the Pulitzer quality writings of Richard Cimini! It’s that lutz & putz Cannizzaro of the NY Post who wrote the article in OP. 

makes your entire post : ? & biased! 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

It has nothing to do with that it’s not the middle of the season. He is playing with a new o-line and his offense has been getting used to Flacco running the offense. As stated multiple times in multiple threads why rush, because we know the history of this medical staff and their continuous blunders and don’t want to see it again. They want their shiny new toy starting on 9/11, and that’s the problem, hopefully that’s not the case but I will go on recorded as it’s a mistake. It’s like watching a train wreck about to happen, and we are yelling GTFO of the way,  then splat! Jet fan life.

If I thought it would be a cool train wreck I would have bought tickets. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Unlike @Joe W. Namath, I'm not in a religious cult.   I'm a long time Jets  fan who hates the Jets.  I'm so diseased by being a Jets fan I should be living in a leper colony.

I feel you Biggs.  

I want Zach to start because he might be good and if he is the Jets might be entertaining enough so I don't want to rip my eyeballs out of my head in the first half and start cutting myself in the second half just to see if I'm still alive.

And I want him to sit, and get some more reps (and time) before starting, because I too still hope he can be good, and I want to give him every chance to do so.  I'm concerned if he plays poorly, it will effect him going forward, rattle his confidence, retard his progress, etc.

And given how little he's practiced and how few reps he will have had by opening day, I don't think he gives us the best to chance to win on Sunday.  Week 2, maybe.  But not Week 1.

So from both sides, Zach's long-term chances and winning Sunday, I think Flacco should start.

It's the start of the season.  This board is full of out of our fing minds Jets football fans.  Of course we want to see Zach start.

And again, fans passion often runs counter to what is best for the team or a player.  Fanatic isn't a term of cool logical decision making, lol.

WTF haven't you seen enough crappy football for long enough to make you want to puke?

Totally.

You have to be out of your mind to want Joe Flacco or Mike White leading the team into game one of the season.   We drafted the kid with the quick release, big arm and off platform throws to kick NFL ass.  

Who hasn't taken a snap in what, four weeks?  If he had been healthy all preseason, there is no question.  But he wasn't.

I want to see Zach light it up and after shreading the Ravens Defense have his way with Harbuagh's wife.

Lol.

Doesn't mean much.  It's not practice, it's game one of the 2022 NFL season.   It means everything.  This is what real Jets fans live and die for.  

I agree.  Winning > All else.  

I don't think a Zach who played poorly in his only (brief) preseason experience, now coming back off an injury to the same knee he injured last year, with limited reps and four weeks of no reps, gives us the best chance to win on Sunday.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The disease is crazy.  Its worse then I ever imagined.

Crazy. That you are with your overtly-homeristic diatribes. You should’ve withered away and disappeared when Perrine was cut as you preferred death over not having him make the 53 man roster - your words, not mine. Lol

I can’t wait for the slaughter of opening day, if only, to expose Saleh and see your typical back-tracking lap-dogging defenses of Saleh, Ulbrich, and whatever other delusional homer declarations undeniably implode.

Having said that, Go Jets and here’s to an upset !!!! Lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's a simple and direct question Joe. 

Only a spineless weasel would avoid a simple, direct answer to it.

Most people aren't judging a players’ success on one game.

I think giving him another half a season before crystallizing opinions seems reasonable.

This board has one side saying he sucks. The other side isn't saying he’s good. We are saying it’s too early to confirm. A full off season and another 8-10 games should be enough. After week 1, still too early.

If he plays grear week 1, will you be saying he is a fqb? Likely not. It would be too early to say.

edit: there’s a very small minority that are already rolling out the red carpet.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Hey Captain Reading Comprehension,

the article is NOT the Pulitzer quality writings of Richard Cimini! It’s that lutz & putz Cannizzaro of the NY Post who wrote the article in OP. 

makes your entire post : ? & biased! 

A little harsh there I think. I already acknowledged it when someone nicely point it out.  

If this is the way you choose to act around here, good for you.  Nasty discourse has a place here I guess.

with that said, these contents of my post remain accurate regardless of who wrote it.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Most people aren't judging a players’ success on one game.

Nor should they.  But of course, that's not really the issue here.

The issue is people who demand he start claiming he's 100% ready no question, and then will do the usual 180 making excuses if he plays poorly.

I think giving him another half a season before crystallizing opinions seems reasonable.

I think evaluation is a constantly active process, ongoing from the second we start looking at these guys pre-draft, right up the point they retire from the game.

I don't think evaluation has specific valid points or stop points where it is or should be crystalized or is somehow "more right" than some other stop point. 

A player is what he is as of now.  Tomorrow, we'll factor what he did today into that ongoing evaluation.

This board has one side saying he sucks. The other side isn't saying he’s good.

We say he has played poorly so far ( a demonstrable fact), that he was in fact the worst QB in the NFL last year (another fact), that he appears to be injury prone (two injuries in two years and counting), and that the odds he will turn it all around and be a FQB going forward is low (opinion, backed by the odds).

Yet most of us still advocate that he should start, and most of us say all year.  When he is ready.  Not just because he got to 4 weeks since the injury/surgery.  

The other side isn't saying he’s good.

Ok, I'll let you speak for that side's argument.

A full off season and another 8-10 games should be enough. After week 1, still too early.

If he plays grear week 1, will you be saying he is a fqb? Likely not. It would be too early to say.

Zach Wilson will be the #1 QB of this team thru the end of 2022 at minimum.  More likely the end of 2023 at least.  #2 picks generally get three years.

I will refer you back to my comments on evaluation above as to what I'd say or think. 

A great game would be good, a bad game would not.  

Which do you think is more likely?  For a player who still hasn't taken a snap in four weeks time, played in basically no preseason games, and is coming back off his 2nd knee injury to the same knee against a generally pretty good Defense?

I think sitting week 1 is best for him, and for us.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Madness I tell you.

Going flip mode on ya: here we are prior to the 1st game of a season you are the most optimistic on the board about and you spend your time “diagnosing” diseases on the Internet. Figured after the whole “define ACL tear” thing, you’d hang up your e-stethoscope and focus on the season.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yes, and he still gets 2 more years before I would ever consider giving up on him. You are so pedantic!

• Haha 1