So now LaFleur is the problem, huh.

Jetsfan80

There's definitely a chicken and egg thing going on.  I was more critical of LaFleur until I saw the barrage of clips yesterday where Zach stared at, and refused to throw to, wide open receivers.  Pretty damning stuff.

All that said, due to the magnitude of Zach's sh*ttiness, and the cherry on top of his awful post-game presser, I still think LaFleur is escaping criticism this week for some absolutely mystifying playcalling vs. NE.  (I think overall LaFleur has been decent)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Receivers open all over the place on Sunday.  The doofus QB is just incapable of getting it to them.  Simple as that.

There we’re definitely occasions where that was the case- we’ve all seen that on film review. I personally feel like a lot more 12 personnel could’ve calmed him down and gave him some more easy throws to backs and tight ends. In this case he spends much less time staring down press man afraid of what -  ( he potentially sees or doesn’t see) in his own head, which is where the whole problem stems from imo.

Zach leads the league in INT's (tied with Mahomes) and has more INT's than TD's. 

Zach's apologists will tell you over and over again how MLF's offense is holding him back because this is a "basic, conservative offense". 

I'm incredulous, but the theory goes that if Air Coryell was the OC that Zach would "throw more INT's" but that's ok, because Zach will be playing "his game".  Riiiiight. Somehow, magically his INT/TD ratio will flip. He leads the league in INT's even though admittedly it's a "basic, conservative offense" but let him let it rip! He's also the worse QB under pressure but yeah, we'll turn him into Drew Brees overnight.

It's just ridiculous nonsense at this point. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In the last 2 seasons, there have been 5 games where the Jets offense produced 30+ points. 

3 of them were games where Zach Wilson was NOT under center.  This despite Wilson starting 20 of the 27 games.  3 different QB's (White, Flacco, Josh Johnson) contributed to those points being scored.

I.E. 43 % of non-Wilson games have resulted in 30+ points of offense being scored, versus 10 % of Wilson games.

Stop blaming LaFleur.

The one thing i was critical of lafluer this week was his approach in the run game.  Now this could be attributed to Feeney playing guard instead of Herbig, but the team has been way more successfull with using gap scheme runs such as counter and trap the last few weeks to produce yards.  The big drive against buffalo they ran counter 4 times in a row (different versions but the same principle) this game he decided to limit those concepts in favor of more inside zone.  I just did not see it as a positive. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Chrebetfan80 said:

The one thing i was critical of lafluer this week was his approach in the run game.  Now this could be attributed to Feeney playing guard instead of Herbig, but the team has been way more successfull with using gap scheme runs such as counter and trap the last few weeks to produce yards.  The big drive against buffalo they ran counter 4 times in a row (different versions but the same principle) this game he decided to limit those concepts in favor of more inside zone.  I just did not see it as a positive. 

He definitely has made his mistakes.  It's the portion of blame some of these desperate Zach defenders are giving him that makes little sense. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In the last 2 seasons, there have been 5 games where the Jets offense produced 30+ points. 

3 of them were games where Zach Wilson was NOT under center.  This despite Wilson starting 20 of the 27 games.  3 different QB's (White, Flacco, Josh Johnson) contributed to those points being scored.

I.E. 43 % of non-Wilson games have resulted in 30+ points of offense being scored, versus 10 % of Wilson games.

Stop blaming LaFleur.

I honestly don't love the SF style of O ...but it works and wrs were open all day all over the place ..... misthrows were egregious.... 

Zach played scared... it felt like our playcalling was in the realm of playing not to lose rather than playing to win ...but how much is predicated on the fact that Zach was out of his depth.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

There's definitely a chicken and egg thing going on.  I was more critical of LaFleur until I saw the barrage of clips yesterday where Zach stared at, and refused to throw to, wide open receivers.  Pretty damning stuff.

All that said, due to the magnitude of Zach's sh*ttiness, and the cherry on top of his awful post-game presser, I still think LaFleur is escaping criticism this week for some absolutely mystifying playcalling vs. NE.  (I think overall LaFleur has been decent)

Don't you feel the playcalling was affected by the bad QB play?  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Gibby said:

There we’re definitely occasions where that was the case- we’ve all seen that on film review. I personally feel like a lot more 12 personnel could’ve calmed him down and gave him some more easy throws to backs and tight ends. In this case he spends much less time staring down press man afraid of what -  ( he potentially sees or doesn’t see) in his own head, which is where the whole problem stems from imo.

He missed those passes. 

45 minutes ago, Coquito said:

Zach leads the league in INT's (tied with Mahomes) and has more INT's than TD's. 

Zach's apologists will tell you over and over again how MLF's offense is holding him back because this is a "basic, conservative offense". 

I'm incredulous, but the theory goes that if Air Coryell was the OC that Zach would "throw more INT's" but that's ok, because Zach will be playing "his game".  Riiiiight. Somehow, magically his INT/TD ratio will flip. He leads the league in INT's even though admittedly it's a "basic, conservative offense" but let him let it rip! He's also the worse QB under pressure but yeah, we'll turn him into Drew Brees overnight.

It's just ridiculous nonsense at this point. 

No he doesn't. He's tied for 21st.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

ML is fine. He's far from the problem.

He's shown the ability to be creative and take advantage of weaknesses.

We don't know if he's capable of developing a QB - but can't blame him for Zach either.

Get him David Carr and you might see 5,000 yards passing.

I have said a few times that I would be in Jameis's corner to bring him here. It is strange because I was not a fan of his at all but over the years the guy grew on me and would have the potential here however, the more I hear the argument for Carr, the more I am on board.

Carr could be a star here and would have the most talent around him that he has ever had in his career. His personality would fit and he comes off as one tough dude,.. Guy is a gamer.

Would love to see that happen

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

I had issues with the game he called Sunday- especially how he attacked press man with a terrified young quarterback. But no- definitely not the problem. He’s actually been creative and think he’s done a pretty decent job overall 

The fact that every now and then there is talk of ML being pilfered for a HC job Proves he is doing a good job.  Wilson makes mistakes that aren’t on the OC at all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If your QB consistently fails to find open wrs you have a QB problem. Pretty straight forward and simple. I'm sure we'll have our fair share of mental gymnastics to try and twist it though.

If mental gymnastics ever becomes an Olympic sport, we have some Jets fans who would have a shot at bringing home a medal.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Who is willing to take a sig bet on it ? 

If LaFluer gets 0 head coaching interviews this off season, y’all put in your sig “Larz is my daddy “ for a week, if he gets one or more I’ll do it including all y’all names. 

I’ll put that in my sig just because it’s true 

• Haha 1

I don't think Lafleur is our biggest problem but his questionable playcalling and scheme decisions have earned the right to be criticized. Idc how bad Zach is the defense got you the ball and put the offense in a position to drive and score 3 points to possibly win the game. Yet  Lafleur opted to run the ball twice and throw a screen at the LOS on 3rd down. He coached scared that whole game and any adjustments he made were thwarted by NE which is also a problem. Zach is problem #1 and #2 but Lafleur hasn't been the great either 

• Upvote 2