Feels like the wheels are coming off

Phillyjet

Seems awful premature.  We have no idea who our QB will be.  We do not know the make-up of the full offensive coaching staff.  It's not like they do not recognize the issues (ahem QB! ahem).  I think they will need someone to work with the Oline on pass protection - Keith Carter seems more run game coordinator than offensive line coach.   Pass blocking in Tennessee seemed to go downhill under him.

1 hour ago, Hex said:

The Titans?

We did hire their OLine coach!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Even with a bandaid solution with Aaron Rodgers or Derek Care, it's increasingly looking like we'll be cleaning house next year.  Witness:

1) Given our cap situation, how do you retain Q and sign Carr/Rodgers/Garropollo. 

2) Assuming the above happens, What scraps are left to rebuild the oline and replace departing FA's (e.g. Quincy Williams) on D?  And oh yeah, we might be down a draft pick or two.

3) Some modicum of continuity seemed possible by retaining MLF and bringing in a QB/passing game coordinator.  Fast forward a week or two, MLF is hired by McVay, who knows nothing about offense, and we are left with Nathaniel Hackett coming in off an atrocious season with Russell Wilson.  And that team did not lack talent.  Heck, we still don't have a passing game/WR coach, or that senior assistant.

4) Saleh seems like he is increasingly feeding us BS.  Witness the Hackett press conference.  I for one thinking he was spotting MLF a favor, and will be going west in a year.

5) Witness Q's stupid tweet.  

6) Breece will be back, but think we won't see his best, barring another injury, until 2024.  Similar to Saquon.  As a shift runner, would be surprised we see full explosiveness 10 months post injury.  

7) The oline sucks, no offense to AVT who is awesome.  I even think Becton will be better (contract year).  But no center, maybe we got Mitchell on the right side, and we'll see if Laken decides to show up this year.  Oh, and no depth at all.

8. We were relatively injury free on defense this year, particularly at CB.  Not sure we can assume that would be the case next year.

9.  The front office is getting leaky again.  Whatever you think of Tony Pauline, he wasn't making sh*t up.  Someone's gabbing. Usually precedes a clean-out. 

Which leaves us with a very slim margin for error.  If the losing starts, it will go downhill quickly. 

All this makes me sense that we are in one of those rinse/repeat cycles where we'll be cleaning house next year.  Harbaugh?  Payton?  Who you got?

You are getting review bombed but you are correct. It is obvious that many of the fans have run out of patience. This is being fueled by the reactionary Jets online influencers and of course the media. We are not one player away and trading for Rodgers would be idiotic. We need to get in a mid-tier veteran, draft a QB and try and develop Zach due to our draft capital and cap position, and then we can make a big splash in 2024.

• Upvote 3

If the jets clear house every 2-4 years... They are never going to get out of the gutter... Ever... Period stop. 

Now we might hate Saleh or JD... Or maybe we love them... Either way this franchise is going to be stuck if they keep switching. 

Saleh even with all his faults has shown his ability to at least not make horrible in game decisions... We may question his calls but at least they have a reason and method to them...

I would much rather him then Bowles... Who was way to conservative and gave up

Gase a pyscho and terrible at in game management. 

Or even Rex who was great at motivation but didn't know how to organize to prevent 12 men on the field penalties or never knowing how to clock manage... 

Same goes for JD... He has tons of faults but he has hit homeruns on some picks that previous GMs whiffed on even with 'no-brainer' picks. 

I hate how this fan base is always ready to try the next thing... It has never worked and it's going to fail again if it goes that way. 

• Post of the Week 4

3 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

R-E-L-A-X

Said the fan in 2002

Said the fan in 2003

Said the fan in 2004

Said the fan in 2005

Said the fan in 2006

Said the fan in 2007

Said the fan in 2008

Said the fan in 2009

Said the fan in 2010

Said the fan in 2011

Said the fan in 2012

Said the fan in 2013

Said the fan in 2014

Said the fan in 2015

Said the fan in 2016

Said the fan in 2017

Said the fan in 2018

Said the fan in 2019

Said the fan in 2020

Said the fan in 2021

Said the fan in 2022

Said the fan in 2023

At some point.... its time to STOP RELAXING.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

26 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

secretly i think some posters were excited about the losses.

It’s healthier than getting angry. I’m sure it’s also getting older, but the best thing about the Jets being so bad for so long is you rarely get ticked off about a loss. 

9 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Watching the afc game last night was a bitter wake up call. The Jets are so far away from competing let alone getting to the SB. 
if joe burrow and co can’t make it- how can the Jets EVER? 
And the Iggles? Where the heck did they come from being good? You are not supposed to be this good so soon after winning a sb. 
and jalen hurts? How come there is no discussion about him here? 

Did the Jets even scout Hurts?

Update- they did not. The Jets only met with one QB in 2020, the immortal James Morgan.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

The glass is clearly half full and getting fuller.  The jets have quite a few players who would be starters on any other team.  That’s a huge upswing from the Mac years. Obviously the offense still has issues nut over half is because of injuries as opposed to personnel. The remainder was due to milfy and bad qb play in milfy’s system.  Milfy is gone and should be able to land a vet who has a shallower learning curve.  People have been talking about how teams can turn it around in a season. Well, that’s what we will see.

There is no glass.  Blood is pouring off the top of the table, running down the sides and pooling on the floor.   CSI is on the way to Florham park to gather evidence before a full autopsy is performed.  There backed up in traffic, ETA is mid season next year.  The guilty parties will be arrested tried and face appropriate penalties commensurate with the crime.  

26 minutes ago, Facts said:

Said the fan in 2002

Said the fan in 2003

Said the fan in 2004

Said the fan in 2005

Said the fan in 2006

Said the fan in 2007

Said the fan in 2008

Said the fan in 2009

Said the fan in 2010

Said the fan in 2011

Said the fan in 2012

Said the fan in 2013

Said the fan in 2014

Said the fan in 2015

Said the fan in 2016

Said the fan in 2017

Said the fan in 2018

Said the fan in 2019

Said the fan in 2020

Said the fan in 2021

Said the fan in 2022

Said the fan in 2023

At some point.... its time to STOP RELAXING.

it was a joke

32 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Watching the afc game last night was a bitter wake up call. The Jets are so far away from competing let alone getting to the SB. 
if joe burrow and co can’t make it- how can the Jets EVER? 
And the Iggles? Where the heck did they come from being good? You are not supposed to be this good so soon after winning a sb. 
and jalen hurts? How come there is no discussion about him here? 

The Bengals almost lost to the Ravens a few games ago. Even the Raiders almost beat them in the playoffs last year. They're not some juggernaut. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

how can the wheels fall off of a last place team? 

the wheels were never on

i know we watched them win like 5 games against backup QBs but the Jets can't "fall from grace" they never had any achievements to begin with 

this team is about as good (or bad) as it was in Gase's first year

you are what your record says you are - they are a 7 win team

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

You know we all say Douglas and Saleh are in desperation mode, but I think Woody is right there with them. He’s approaching 80 years old. I doubt he wants to do any more resets after coming up snake eyes so many times. Woody is 100 percent ready to mortgage the next five years for a push to the playoffs. I don’t think even Aaron Rodgers could get this team over the top. 

Yup. He couldn't get the Packers over the top the past 12 years.  But let's go all in on him......

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yup. He couldn't get the Packers over the top the past 12 years.  But let's go all in on him......

so because he hasnt won multiple championships we shouldn’t want him? There are so many variables that play into winning a title. In fact the only QB that has won multiple titles since 2012 (when Rodgers won) is Tom Brady.

Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs of all time and even in a down year his stats would be a top 5 Jets quarterbacked season ever. 

• Upvote 2

Our cap situation isn't bad at all. We're actually well positioned quite frankly. This graph from OTC is a good depiction of where we're at... 

image.thumb.png.c8df5d26f504bba213c0049b2d8f9592.png

If we wanted to perform simple restructures, we can easily get to $40 million without making any cuts. If we wanted to maximize it the way the Bucs and Saints have over the years, we could get to $95 million (would be 8th most space if everyone maximized). We only carry $2.8 million in dead money (21st in the NFL) and we currently have 53 players under contract (13th in the league). There's also a ton of money that gets freed up next year. Quinnen will need a new contract and will cost a lot, otherwise there aren't any major player contracts we'll need to address until 2026/27 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

49 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Update- they did not. The Jets only met with one QB in 2020, the immortal James Morgan.

This goes back to my exact point, who in the building knows what the hell they are doing with the QB position.

When we selected ZW, who was evaluating him? Obviously scouts did, but you need way more than just scouts to evaluate the QB. You need a HC or someone on the Offensive staff who knows what they are looking at, and how the player fits into what they want to do offensively. 

I remember reading back at the draft that Saleh could not go to evaluate ZW personally, and MLF did and spoke highly of him, 

JD has no history with the QB position to fall back on.

If the Jets are serious about getting a QB, they need to bring someone into the fold who knows what they are doing with the QB, we still don't have that as far as I can tell.

• Upvote 3

We beat the best team in our division (BUF) with an "awful" QB in the
first game.  And in the second game we lost by one score with our QB
going out for multiple series AND Carter fumbling in the red zone.
And finally in both games our defense made Allen and their explosive
offense look confused & pedestrian.  If White was healthy we beat
DET, JAX & MIA and we finish with 10 wins, but sure there's no future
and the wheels are falling off

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

Our cap situation isn't bad at all. We're actually well positioned quite frankly. This graph from OTC is a good depiction of where we're at... 

If we wanted to perform simple restructures, we can easily get to $40 million without making any cuts. If we wanted to maximize it the way the Bucs and Saints have over the years, we could get to $95 million (would be 8th most space if everyone maximized). We only carry $2.8 million in dead money (21st in the NFL) and we currently have 53 players under contract (13th in the league). There's also a ton of money that gets freed up next year. Quinnen will need a new contract and will cost a lot, otherwise there aren't any major player contracts we'll need to address until 2026/27 

Well we need to sign Huff, and a Carr or Rodgers takes all of that easy $40 million and that is without extending Q or signing Huff. We are fine without the huge QB contract but it gets pretty tight if we do

11 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

This goes back to my exact point, who in the building knows what the hell they are doing with the QB position.

When we selected ZW, who was evaluating him? Obviously scouts did, but you need way more than just scouts to evaluate the QB. You need a HC or someone on the Offensive staff who knows what they are looking at, and how the player fits into what they want to do offensively. 

I remember reading back at the draft that Saleh could not go to evaluate ZW personally, and MLF did and spoke highly of him, 

If the Jets are serious about getting a QB, they need to bring someone into the fold who knows what they are doing with the QB, we still don't have that as far as I can tell.

Pretty much. The Jets seem to half ass the draft process. There needs to be a much deeper dive. How Morgan was the guy they zoned in on in 2020 when Darnold was the only QB on the roster is absurd.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

This should probably get re-shared every few days. Not sure where the false narrative that the Jets are in dire financial straits has come from... but it's not even close to being the case. JD has done a really good job with his contract structures

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

only pro days were permitted in '21. JD, RS, & MLF were at his pro day

But what Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, Mike LaFleur and all the other executives in attendance were looking for on Friday morning was a DNA match for the quarterback they saw lead his team to 11 wins this past season. Wilson provided them with one.

32 minutes ago, football guy said:

Ari Meirov @MySportsUpdate

The NFL informed teams today that the 2023 salary cap will be $224.8M, as NFL Network reported.

That's a $16.6M increase from last year. ??

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

The NFL informed teams today that the 2023 salary cap will be a record $224.8 million per club, sources tell me and @RapSheet

That’s up from $208.2 million in 2022, $182.5M in 2021 (COVID adjustment), 198.2M in 2020 and $188.2M in 2019.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pre-draft visits now equate with scouting?  I think every team drafts more than 50% of their players from a pool that they did not have in for a visit.  I think it is somewhere in the mid-20% range.  2020 was also the corona year where visits were scheduled and cancelled left and right. 

A couple of points.

1) The Jets have a TON of cap room in 2024.  They are going to utilize it with restructures and new contracts, cut some costly dead weight, and be just fine overall.

2) The Jets are much closer to being "a quarterback away" than they are to a "complete rebuild."  The defense is above average, and that is with a couple of overpriced underperformers, which can and will be replaced.  They have young weapons at WR and RB.  The OL needs some work, but overall they have shown to be solid when healthy (how quickly people forget Hall breaking huge runs, running at will on the Bills in the 4th quarter of their win, and Zach Wilson having time to pirouette for 10 seconds behind the line of scrimmage in numerous games).

Bottom line, the sky is not falling, and the wheels are chugging along in the right direction.  I truly believe that consistent, competent quarterback play will make all the difference for this young team.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

We are probably less then a month away from having a proven vet QB that, by most accounts, puts the Jets into real playoff contention - meaning not just squeaking in on a wild card and losing by 30, but possibly doing some damage in the playoffs.

But the wheels are falling off?

I respectfully disagree.

Explain this one to me. We do not have a materially better roster than Green Bay who missed the playoffs yet somehow Rodgers coming here makes us a sure fire playoff team. Don't see it myself.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Pre-draft visits now equate with scouting?  I think every team drafts more than 50% of their players from a pool that they did not have in for a visit.  I think it is somewhere in the mid-20% range.  2020 was also the corona year where visits were scheduled and cancelled left and right. 

Perhaps there was some buzz regarding the Jets and Hurts but I don’t recall. They could have selected him if they hadn’t traded back and taken….Denzel Mims.

42 minutes ago, football guy said:

This, plus that's just with restructures; not even outright cutting anybody.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

You are getting review bombed but you are correct. It is obvious that many of the fans have run out of patience. This is being fueled by the reactionary Jets online influencers and of course the media. We are not one player away and trading for Rodgers would be idiotic. We need to get in a mid-tier veteran, draft a QB and try and develop Zach due to our draft capital and cap position, and then we can make a big splash in 2024.

Patience with poor performance is nothing but passive aggressive behavior.  It's not a plan for future success.   Lossing patience with failure is not a guarantee of future success.  They are both reations to the same problem and neither position solves the problem.   You're position is just as reactionary.  

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Explain this one to me. We do not have a materially better roster than Green Bay who missed the playoffs yet somehow Rodgers coming here makes us a sure fire playoff team. Don't see it myself.

He broke his thumb in game 5 when they had just won 3 in a row and the Packers were 3 and 1.   He's injury was a big reason they didn't make the playoffs.   Healthy it's hard to see them not making the playoffs. 

I do agree with you that the Jets aren't a playoff team next year.  Green Bay this year with a healthy Rodgers is a playoff team..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

It’s healthier than getting angry. I’m sure it’s also getting older, but the best thing about the Jets being so bad for so long is you rarely get ticked off about a loss. 

nobody is suggesting to get angry.

the Jets were suppose to be a dumpster fire this year and the 1/2 of the season turned out to be a lot of fun for fans.  

I think if we had even a mid-tier QB we would be in the playoffs this year and I suspect we get one over the winter.

I guess objectivity isn’t working today.  Sure everyone wants to see the playoffs and a lot think the faults of this past season will carry over.  I don’t see how.  The cap is manageable and the jets have a good core of talented players. They have guys that want to win like sauce and gWilson. And the guts are also very good players.  I don’t think they’ve had the same on field leadership for quite some time.  Add to them the return of the injured players like becton, avt, hall, and Mitchell and the offense suddenly looks a heck of a lot better. Barring injury, all they need to add is a center and some oline depth and that can come from the draft. Sign a solid qb, Rodgers, jimmyg, minshew or even Winston and this team will make some noise.  Milfy was a huge problem and he’s gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1