2023 NFL Free Agency: News & Rumors

24 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

He sucks, but is apparently likeable and has a huge hammer, hence him bedding many Hollywood dollbutts.

It's amazing what he's been able to pull off.  He deserves to be the face next to the phrase "outkicking your coverage".

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's amazing what he's been able to pull off.  He deserves to be the face next to the phrase "outkicking your coverage".

Good for him, though. I out-kicked my coverage in marriage, but my wife knows that Kate Beckinsale is on my "OK, you can bang her if you ever get the chance" list. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jets Things said:

Good for him, though. I out-kicked my coverage in marriage, but my wife knows that Kate Beckinsale is on my "OK, you can bang her if you ever get the chance" list. 

Yeah, he's living the dream.  And, as I'm sure you know, he's already hooked up with your "hall pass".

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Thielen released. I think there's a good chance he winds up here if/when the Rodgers trade gets done

Really? If we're cutting Davis and adding a WR after Rodgers (can't see them bringing in Thielen without cutting Davis) I'd have expected that to be Lazard, given both the Rodgers relationship and the body type/game

40 minutes ago, football guy said:

The problems with Lamar and the Jets: 

1. Can't speak to him until Wednesday. Can't even back-channel via his agent because he has none. If the Rodgers trade doesn't happen, they will turn their attention to Garoppolo. Only way I see them speaking to Lamar is if they both spurn us. 
  2. His contract demands. He'll have to back off of them (no signs that he will). There's no scenario where the Jets will pay him a guaranteed 3 year deal, let alone 5 years. 
  3. Jets aren't looking to go past 2 years on the QB targets. They really want to allow themselves the ability to develop young QBs with a hope that they can fit all their talented players under the cap when they start becoming free agents in 2025-26. Maybe they would reconsider for Lamar? Not what I've heard. 
  4. I won't tag Lamar with the injury-prone label, but its certainly a league-wide concern when you consider his playing style. 
  5. There's some concern how Lamar would transition from the Baltimore offense he's played in. Long before Kaepernick and the anthem controversy, he notoriously struggled to adapt to the more pro-style offense Geep Chryst tried to install in 2015 before eventually getting hurt. He had sustained a number of injuries and his skills were regressing. Still, Denver offered to trade for him, but he wouldn't accept their contract terms. Lost his starting job in SF to Gabbert under Chip Kelly, but eventually got into the lineup so Chip ran the RPO exclusively and he performed decent. Then all the other off the field happened. As much as I think Lamar is a far superior player (and person) than Kaep ever was, the transition to a more pro-style, WCO is going to take a little bit- just as it would for any QB. And I don't get the sense that the Jets brass is willing to take that risk given how important this year is... if it were a 1 or 2 year deal, that's a different story. But we're talking about 5-years, $250 million guaranteed. Have to treat 2023 as a transition year kind of like the Browns did with Deshaun Watson, with sights set on 2024 and beyond. 

In my opinion: what's best for Lamar is to take the best deal out there, OR play on the franchise tag. Todd Monken has proven to be a wizard of an OC, and all of his offenses are pass first. If Lamar shows the ability to produce under him... fewf. Then I think teams would line up for him the way fans and medias think they should

Do you think they would take a later round Qb this year or next ? Do they like any guys in this draft in the later rounds @football guy

Baltimore has built an entire offense around him, is one of the best run organizations in the league, know him better than anyone else and are concerned enough not to want to guarantee the money long term to an oft injured QB that derives much of his value from his legs, value which will likely get reduced as he gets older.  Why would the Jets, who would need to completely overhaul their offense and don’t know him nearly as well as Baltimore, guarantee that money?

1 hour ago, football guy said:

The problems with Lamar and the Jets: 

1. Can't speak to him until Wednesday. Can't even back-channel via his agent because he has none. If the Rodgers trade doesn't happen, they will turn their attention to Garoppolo. Only way I see them speaking to Lamar is if they both spurn us. 
  2. His contract demands. He'll have to back off of them (no signs that he will). There's no scenario where the Jets will pay him a guaranteed 3 year deal, let alone 5 years. 
  3. Jets aren't looking to go past 2 years on the QB targets. They really want to allow themselves the ability to develop young QBs with a hope that they can fit all their talented players under the cap when they start becoming free agents in 2025-26. Maybe they would reconsider for Lamar? Not what I've heard. 
  4. I won't tag Lamar with the injury-prone label, but its certainly a league-wide concern when you consider his playing style. 
  5. There's some concern how Lamar would transition from the Baltimore offense he's played in. Long before Kaepernick and the anthem controversy, he notoriously struggled to adapt to the more pro-style offense Geep Chryst tried to install in 2015 before eventually getting hurt. He had sustained a number of injuries and his skills were regressing. Still, Denver offered to trade for him, but he wouldn't accept their contract terms. Lost his starting job in SF to Gabbert under Chip Kelly, but eventually got into the lineup so Chip ran the RPO exclusively and he performed decent. Then all the other off the field happened. As much as I think Lamar is a far superior player (and person) than Kaep ever was, the transition to a more pro-style, WCO is going to take a little bit- just as it would for any QB. And I don't get the sense that the Jets brass is willing to take that risk given how important this year is... if it were a 1 or 2 year deal, that's a different story. But we're talking about 5-years, $250 million guaranteed. Have to treat 2023 as a transition year kind of like the Browns did with Deshaun Watson, with sights set on 2024 and beyond. 

In my opinion: what's best for Lamar is to take the best deal out there, OR play on the franchise tag. Todd Monken has proven to be a wizard of an OC, and all of his offenses are pass first. If Lamar shows the ability to produce under him... fewf. Then I think teams would line up for him the way fans and medias think they should

Great summary. From what you’ve heard, is there a perception around the league that he bailed on his team at the end of the year and playoffs? They would be the red flag for most.

1 hour ago, Jets Things said:

Agree with you Kate Beckinsale would be pretty high on my list . 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Really? If we're cutting Davis and adding a WR after Rodgers (can't see them bringing in Thielen without cutting Davis) I'd have expected that to be Lazard, given both the Rodgers relationship and the body type/game

3 names: Lazard, Thielen, Beckham.

I would think Lazard would be the priority given his fit (don’t ignore his strengths as a blocker), but he’s likely going to be more money and may have a larger market… he loves Rodgers but other really good situations with long-term QBs will be in on him too. 

Thielen has said he’s going to be more selective and he’s close with Rodgers as well. Then there’s Odell looming, who Rodgers has wanted to play with for some time now. 

I feel good about one of those 3 + Cobb. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I would think Lazard would be the priority given his fit (don’t ignore his strengths as a blocker), but he’s likely going to be more money and may have a larger market… he loves Rodgers but other really good situations with long-term QBs will be in on him too. 

Thielen has said he’s going to be more selective and he’s close with Rodgers as well. Then there’s Odell looming, who Rodgers has wanted to play with for some time now. 

Forget Cobb... I want Moore to develop quickly in precisely that role.  Putting Cobb there might mean Moore is on his way to G Bay in the deal.  Otherwise Cobb is not needed.

22 hours ago, section314 said:

Great summary. From what you’ve heard, is there a perception around the league that he bailed on his team at the end of the year and playoffs? They would be the red flag for most.

Not really. Lamar is an awesome person and teammate. I think he would’ve gutted it out if he did have a contract but at the same time how effective would he have been? I can’t really blame him for not playing as much as we all love those guys who gut it out. 

It really comes down to a few things: (1) the Ravens understand the market and don’t anticipate anyone giving Lamar what he wants, but it doesn’t hurt to allow him to speak with teams (at least that’s what they think); (2) teams know the Ravens would likely match any contract they put in front of him, so why hold out until Wednesday for Lamar when they can reach an agreeement with another target prior to that; (3) teams won’t offer a fully guaranteed contract out of principle but also due to skepticism on his longevity... The NFL is a yin and yang league and while RPO is en vogue it’s only a matter of time before defenses catch up to it. End of the day winning from the pocket sustains the test of time, and until you know a player can do that outside of a gimmicky offense hard to commit to paying that player upwards of $200 million guaranteed 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Milo1735 said:

Baltimore has built an entire offense around him, is one of the best run organizations in the league, know him better than anyone else and are concerned enough not to want to guarantee the money long term to an oft injured QB that derives much of his value from his legs, value which will likely get reduced as he gets older.  Why would the Jets, who would need to completely overhaul their offense and don’t know him nearly as well as Baltimore, guarantee that money?

Such a terrible take.
It amazes me how many supposedly knowledgeable fans will state unfounded opinions as fact.
Baltimore has already offered him 250 mil with 130 guaranteed. They hardly seem worried about his game or value.

The issue is LJ wants a totally guaranteed contract and the NFL doesn’t want the Watson deal to become the norm, they want it to remain the outlier.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Such a terrible take.
It amazes me how many supposedly knowledgeable fans will state unfounded opinions as fact.
Baltimore has already offered him 250 mil with 130 guaranteed. They hardly seem worried about his game or value.

The issue is LJ wants a totally guaranteed contract and the NFL doesn’t want the Watson deal to become the norm, they want it to remain the outlier.

Read what I said.  They’re concerned about guaranteeing long term money - $130mm is 2-3 years. But he wants 5 years guaranteed and they’re not willing to do that, so why should the Jets?  Do you think they know the player better than the Ravens?

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:52 AM, redlichtie said:

I know LaFleur is gone and therefor the SF connection is less obvious but I’d keep an eye on Mostert or McKinnon on that list

Jeff Wilson, too.

Though on that list, we could do better. It’s stacked, and given its not a need for us to find a 1A starter, I’d say a modest contract fid veteran change of pace.

Damien Harris is a good thumper. If we look at the rest of what we’ve got as the early down guys. Don’t think he gets primary RB money, either.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Such a terrible take.

What was so terrible about that take? He said Balt doesn't want to guarantee him all that money. That would seem to be the case, or they would have a contract by now, no? You also ended your own post by stating they don't want to guarantee him what he's looking for. The rest of his post, to me, read like stating his opinion was exactly what he was doing. Unfounded? Has Lamar not had multiple injuries? Is his game/success not heavily predicated on his legs and athleticism? Do those qualities not typically diminish with age? 

??‍♂️

On 3/10/2023 at 11:25 AM, SR24 said:

yes 

I would look at Jake Brendel too, Center from the 49ers. Perhaps Tomlinson gets back to Pro Bowl form with him lined up next to him. (Was not the starter with Tomlinson but may be familiar with him) OTC valued him at $9m per year in terms of production this year.

Screenshot_20230311_174246_Chrome.jpg

Sign this stud and get rid of Mann! Chiefs will probably match but make it painful.

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo

·

Mar 10

The #Chiefs are giving first team All-Pro P Tommy Townsend the low tender as a restricted free agent, source says, meaning KC would get no compensation if he signs an offer sheet with another team and they don’t match. The tender is worth $2.6m this season if he signs it.

20 hours ago, football guy said:

Well, if OBJ is looking for $20m/yr then your list just shrunk by 1/3. I would think Thielen jumps to the top of the list. Lazard is looking to get his 1 big contract, while Thielen has already made his coin and is looking for a ring. If it is AT, I think we take a WR later in the draft. Lazard 3 year deal, then no WR drafted.

JD still needs to keep us financially healthy with Q, possible Becton & AVT extensions coming in the next 2-3 years.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sign this stud and get rid of Mann! Chiefs will probably match but make it painful.

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo

·

Mar 10

The #Chiefs are giving first team All-Pro P Tommy Townsend the low tender as a restricted free agent, source says, meaning KC would get no compensation if he signs an offer sheet with another team and they don’t match. The tender is worth $2.6m this season if he signs it.

What you do is offer him a 1-yr $3M deal that includes a provision that bars you from franchise or transition tagging him next year. Chiefs will match but he'd hit the market next year

• Upvote 1