Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

24 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I’m hoping this is it because if not, damn it says a lot about just the simple common sense skills of this org

Nothing to blame the org over yet.  They took their shot. 

Now if they really don't have the answer and wait around all week missing out on Garrapolo only to see Rodgers retire...  then it's open season on JD.  He's not going to let that happen. 

• Upvote 4

pretty agnostic at this point.  Folks will bemoan SOJ if we don't get him, but sometimes the path not taken ends up being better.  So we resign Mike White, maybe draft a Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee in the second round.  Whose to say that doesn't pay dividends down the road?  

Would be great to have Rodgers for a year or two, but we were already screwed the moment Zach went bust... we're just gonna have to find another way to climb out of that hole.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Only thing that makes sense to me at this stage is he has told our FO that he will join them (just stay quiet on it). And he's on purpose waiting until the last minute just to screw with GB one last time. Still pissed at them for drafting Love and trading Adams. 

Not saying it will happen, but has anyone considered they might just be waiting to announce it either 1. the start of the tampering period today at noon or 2. the start of official free agency?

Marketing and media is a thing, if the Jets make this deal, they want to own the newscycle for a bit.  

Again, who knows, it could all be done days ago, or all be total sh*t as some of your think.  We'll know soon enough either way.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Anyone know if he’s scheduled for McAfee today?

Hey there!!!!     Welcome to this board.  I've always liked what you do over on the FFToday board.   Stick around.  You're posts are always solid as well as mod work.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Cash Pay, no.

Cap hit, I believe yes, to some degree.

The Packers face a $68M cap charge if they cut Rodgers before June 1 but -don’t worry!- they can knock that all the way down to $43M if they designate it post-June 1. 

If he retires, it’s a $40M cap hit that they can split over this year and next. If he’s traded, they still eat that $40M but the cap charge is only $8.6M this year. The Packers really want a trade to happen. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SR24 said:

He’s maintained he doesn’t want to drag it out yet 11 hours before free agency starts we have no answers. Kinda ridiculous to do exactly what you say you’re not gonna do lol 

How do you even know it’s Rodgers dragging it out?  How do you know it’s not the Jets and Packers working out all the parameters of the trade?  Or the Jets and Rodgers trying to rework his deal?  
You don’t, we don’t.  Have no idea what the start of FA has to do with it.

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

How do you even know it’s Rodgers dragging it out?  How do you know it’s not the Jets and Packers working out all the parameters of the trade?  Or the Jets and Rodgers trying to rework his deal?  

We don't know anything for sure, but it does seem to be what everyone is hearing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Vader said:

This is good. Nobody calls it Clinton to be sure.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-westies_tj-english/283796/item/683105/?mkwid=|dc&pcrid=76897273066016&pkw=&pmt=be&slid=&product=683105&plc=&pgrid=1230353808544773&ptaid=pla-4580496735976154&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+High+Vol+Frontlist+-+%2410+-+%2450&utm_term=&utm_content=|dc|pcrid|76897273066016|pkw||pmt|be|product|683105|slid||pgrid|1230353808544773|ptaid|pla-4580496735976154|&msclkid=3cbc7a38c6781ca797e71e37ed6f4b1a#idiq=683105&edition=3802639

This book was the basis for the movie. Good friend of mine was playing softball centerfield one summer day in the late 1970s/early 1980s on West Side of  Manhattan when one of these killers got drunk and decided to walk on the field. My friend tells him to go eff himself and get off the field. Drunk killer tells him "I'm gonna get you. Do you know I am?". My pal (would eventually go from being a lineman to become chief counsel for Con Ed)  had no idea, but found out and for about a week was expecting to get shot in the head until somebody reached out to the boss and explained their boy was drunken buffoon and my friend was no threat. 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I have no idea, I'm not in the room as these decisions get made.  But I don't see anything that tells me your conjecture is anything more than that, projection.  For all we know, JD is hardon for Rodgers, we can't know for sure.

Funny enough, I've been waiting on the Zach Wilson narrative to start going this way too, that "Woody forced JD to pick Zach". 

Seems some folks just want to give JD a pass on bad decisions, while giving credit for the good ones.

I'd say a GM who lets his owner force him to make bad decisions is a pretty bad GM, more of a neutered lapdog than a GM really.  Is JD a neutered lapdog?

. we know he loves draft picks so he would have them all with Carr. you get Carr for longer( 3-4 years) 

Plus we know that Rodgers demanded input in personal decisions in GB. i never heard of Carr making such demands.

Carr ends the Zach Wilson era. signing Carr to that 3-4 year contract gives you time to draft his replacement. with Rodgers you have no choice but to draft one next year. whether you like anyone or not. and drafting QBs because we must hasnt worked out too well for us so far. 

with Rodgers 2025 will be Zach or a young nobody QB. 25 and 26 could very well be throw away years while we find a QB. we will be wasting the final years of GW, Hall, AVT and Sause. with Carr he would be the QB. 

Carr was the safer pick. JD is a football guy. he had to know that. 

this reeks of owner desperation. going all out for 2 years and then we bust.

if i read the cap right we will be taking a 53 mil and 60 mil cap hit in 25 and 26 for a QB who wont even be here. and i never thought we were a QB away from a SB. we need more players and Carr would have gave us all our draft picks.

plus there is a good chance that Rodgers is here for just one year.

again Carr was the safer pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd say a GM who lets his owner force him to make bad decisions is a pretty bad GM, more of a neutered lapdog than a GM really.  Is JD a neutered lapdog?

Like any other job, GM's that go against their bosses wishes, get fired. That is a natural. And I am unsure what play Woody has in this, other than telling the fanbase himself that "We are going to get a veteran QB and this team is set in all other areas".  So, now JD has to battle his owner not having egg on his face.

• Upvote 1

Vladimir: “He didn’t say for sure he’d come.”

Estragon: “And if he doesn’t come?”

Vladimir: “We’ll come back tomorrow.”

Estragon: “And then the day after tomorrow.”

Vladimir: “Possibly.”

Estragon: “And so on.”

Vladimir: “The point is—”

Estragon: “Until he comes.”

Vladimir: “You’re merciless.”

• Upvote 2

Just now, doitny said:

. we know he loves draft picks so he would have them all with Carr. you get Carr for longer( 3-4 years) 

Plus we know that Rodgers demanded input in personal decisions in GB. i never heard of Carr making such demands.

Carr ends the Zach Wilson era. signing Carr to that 3-4 year contract gives you time to draft his replacement. with Rodgers you have no choice but to draft one next year. whether you like anyone or not. and drafting QBs because we must hasnt worked out too well for us so far. 

with Rodgers 2025 will be Zach or a young nobody QB. 25 and 26 could very well be throw away years while we find a QB. we will be wasting the final years of GW, Hall, AVT and Sause. with Carr he would be the QB. 

if i read the cap right we will be taking a 53 mil and 60 mil cap hit in 25 and 26 for a QB who wont even be here. and i never thought we were a QB away from a SB. we need more players and Carr would have gave us all our draft picks.

You're right that Douglas is a football guy, and as a football guy he's able to see that Carr isn't very good. It's not all about money and being safe. He's trying to win a soup. And that's unlikely with Carr.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, doitny said:

Carr would placate some of the fanbase but we weren't going to win any SBs with him, imo.  AR is a desperation move but I like it.  The goal isn't to go 9-8 and lose in the wildcard round.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-westies_tj-english/283796/item/683105/?mkwid=|dc&pcrid=76897273066016&pkw=&pmt=be&slid=&product=683105&plc=&pgrid=1230353808544773&ptaid=pla-4580496735976154&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+High+Vol+Frontlist+-+%2410+-+%2450&utm_term=&utm_content=|dc|pcrid|76897273066016|pkw||pmt|be|product|683105|slid||pgrid|1230353808544773|ptaid|pla-4580496735976154|&msclkid=3cbc7a38c6781ca797e71e37ed6f4b1a#idiq=683105&edition=3802639

This book was the basis for the movie. Good friend of mine was playing softball centerfield one summer day in the late 1970s/early 1980s on West Side of  Manhattan when one of these killers got drunk and decided to walk on the field. My friend tells him to go eff himself and get off the field. Drunk killer tells him "I'm gonna get you. Do you know I am?". My pal (would eventually go from being a lineman to become chief counsel for Con Ed)  had no idea, but found out and for about a week was expecting to get shot in the head until somebody reached out to the boss and explained their boy was drunken buffoon and my friend was no threat. 

Love this stuff. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Trying to sell free agents on NYJ is significantly easier when you have Aaron Rodgers vs when you don’t. 

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well, we don't know it. But all reputable reporting is indicating that (with the source of that reporting likely being the Jets and Packers orgs.) So it certainly seems like the most likely scenario given the Jets and Packers have no reason to draw this out.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, doitny said:

Arguably, but he also has the lower ceiling. Rodgers was the league MVP in 2020 and 2021. Carr makes the pro bowl after other guys opt out. I know lamenting is super popular around here, but that ship has (thankfully) sailed. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, slats said:

Arguably, but he also has the lower ceiling. Rodgers was the league MVP in 2020 and 2021. Carr makes the pro bowl after other guys opt out. I know lamenting is super popular around here, but that ship has (thankfully) sailed. 

Doesn’t matter if Rodgers only sticks around for 1 year and you don’t win the SB. You lose assets and are in the same place again. JD is playing a high-stakes game. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

I agree that Carr would have been a safer pick, but that line of reasoning assumes that Joe Douglas thinks like you and I. I submit to you that there is a reason he is a GM and you and I are not. He is obviously seeking to hit a home run here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It's also called Clinton Hill. A lot of people in my office (Corcoran UWS) called it that. It's  really Midtown West. From what I know Hells Kitchen was a name derived from the tough neighborhoods culinary attraction. The name has no connection  anymore except for historical note. 

Never knew there were two Clinton hills! There’s a ton of history in the names of these neighborhoods