Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

You know, it's funny, if you recall, I created the "if you build it, they will come" thread regarding JD building a roster that would attract Russ or Rodgers and here we are but this all is just stinky right now.   Idk, I didnt envision getting bent over the in the process and JD essentially cowering to his every demand but, beggers cant be choosers.  W/ Lazard reportingly signed, I assume this is happening

JiFa-aron? JiFarod? JiFaronrod? 

@playtowinthegame

If they get rid of Elijah Moore to try to squeeze in OBJ or scrap the Ruckert development for Marcedes Lewis I’d agree with you, but what are they truly sacrificing (except a little dignity) bringing in Lazard, Cobb, and Lewis if that is indeed the route they go? Davis for Lazard is pretty much a wash, Cobb gives you a security blanket in exchange for Berrios who was awful last year, and they were carrying 4 TEs anyway and Lewis is if nothing else a great blocking TE still. You probably net out positively cap wise on the receiver exchanges, and most importantly you’re not losing any of the young core building blocks you’ve put in place.

I think a lot of the reaction to this is blown way out of proportion because of how it was initially couched by Russini (who since clarified that it’s not necessarily a list of demands) and the fact that it’s not officially announced Rodgers is coming here yet. If Rodgers to the Jets had already been announced it would be silly to think that he wouldn’t have input into who the Jets brought in to be his pass catchers.

• Upvote 1

a lot of nuggets here:
pat hinting at Aaron taking more money 
Aj downplaying the list report 

As they sign Lazard. He probably said these are my buddies I would love to play with them. Woody Johnson began jerking them off with his other hand at the same moment. Good for woody!
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The way some folks around here are operating they need to see Rodgers tweet, text, e-mail, and live call-in the decision directly to Ian Rapoport for them to believe it's happened.  

It’s done, they’re waiting to be able to redo his contract

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Nothing to do with Wilson. I am just not OK with trading assets for a declining 40 year old QB that is a complete loon and then making coaching and roster decisions that completely blow up what we were building here. We are not just a QB away. If you want to know why the Jets suck it is this, no patience whatsoever and idiotic moves like this.

Yeah, trading for a multiple MVP, SB-winning HOFer is so dumb.  Shoulda signed that Jimmy G fella.  That's what successful orgs do.

Who cares if we're a "QB away" or not?  We're not competing in this division and conference with a B or C quarterback.  Go big or go home.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Rams went 43-21 under McVay before Stafford got there, including three playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance.

Fair points - and I'd rather be that team, with McVay @ the helm, Cooper Kupp on offense and Aaron Donald + Jalen Ramsey on D making this move.

But I'd add that Goff, even just from observing his play last year, was considerably more functional than anything we've rolled out since... always?

It's exceedingly difficult to be a .500+ team with a disaster at quarterback.

This gamble doesn't seem crazy to me, but perhaps riskier (although seemingly at reduced compensation in draft picks) than the Rams play for Stafford.

Probably a better comp for us is the Bucs. If only we could nail that 13th pick like they did with Wirfs... we might be really dangerous.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Rams went 43-21 under McVay before Stafford got there, including three playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance.

And the Jets would have been a playoff team and perhaps even competed for the division title last season with any semblance of decent QB play.  My point stands.

I wasn't trying to suggest the 2022 Jets were as good as those pre-Stafford Rams teams at all.  Merely that "building the right way" involves establishing a young, talented core.  Which I think Douglas has done.

• Upvote 3

The more I think about what JD is building, the more excited I get.

If I was to bucket--

Elite:  Rodgers, G. Wilson, Breece, AVT, Quinnen, Sauce, DJ

X Factors:  Becton (looks great/motivated; can he stay healthy?), Moore (what can he do w/ Rodgers?), Huff (can he turn pressures into actual sacks?), Jermaine Johnson (already 95th percentile run defender)   

Above Average:  JFM, Carter II

Average:  CJ (many will disagree), Quincy (has upside), Tight Ends, Lazard (has upside), Brown (w/o torn rotator cuff), Clark (1 yr rental)

Meh:  Tomlinson (need to sign starting quality depth {Herbig} as contingency), Carter (what happened to him last year?)

TBD:  Center, Free Safety, Third Nipple ... I mean Linebacker

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I agree. I'm not sure what leverage GB has. If anything, the leverage is with AR. 

No other team showed any worthwhile interest in AR. I'm sure there were phone calls but GB never even had cause to give him permission to talk to another team. On a side note, I think this speaks volumes to why pursuing him was a mistake in the first place. You're stuck now. If you don't get him you're fu*ked because no one is left so they've successfully put the team in a position where they are fu*ked either way. 

No one wants any part of the Salary... Except the Jets, of course ?. GB absolutely wants no part of that salary and that's why they have extremely little leverage. AR can always just say **** you, I'm not retiring I'm going to stick around and make you pay me. I suppose at that point GB could always just try to give up assets with AR to try to entice some team and essentially force him off their roster without cutting him. 

The trade should be something like AR and a 2nd/3rd for a 2025 7th for a team to take on that contract. Except we made the mistake of pinning our season on this one player and GB knows we're f*cked without him. But GB is f*cked with him so at this point the hold up is probably trying to figure out which team is going to end up f*cked more 

image.gif.564d750ffe23d66c85407ffe0575f73a.gif

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Your general point is valid, but OBJ has an ACL injury and is two years older since his time with the Rams.  What exactly does he add to a receiving corps of Wilson, Moore, Lazard?  NFW to OBJ, unless he comes here for a cheap contract and is ok playing a very complementary role.  The Jets have other needs to fill. WR is not a need right now. 

I'm not exactly firmly in favor of bringing in OBJ I'm just saying him being on Rodgers' wish list doesn't bother me much. 

Wilson is the WR1 and hopefully an improved Moore or an upgrade like Hopkins, Mike Evans, or a WR a tier below ends up the WR2.  

And WR is ALWAYS a need.  For every franchise.  

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The more I think about what JD is building, the more excited I get.

If I was to bucket--

Elite:  Rodgers, G. Wilson, Breece, AVT, Quinnen, Sauce, DJ

X Factors:  Becton (looks great/motivated; can he stay healthy?), Moore (what can he do w/ Rodgers?), Huff (can he turn pressures into actual sacks?), Jermaine Johnson (already 95th percentile run defender)   

Above Average:  JFM, Carter II

Average:  CJ (many will disagree), Quincy (has upside), Tight Ends, Lazard (has upside), Brown (w/o torn rotator cuff), Clark (1 yr rental)

Meh:  Tomlinson (need to sign starting quality depth {Herbig} as contingency), Carter (what happened to him last year?)

TBD:  Center, Free Safety, Third Nipple ... I mean Linebacker

Michael Clem should be somewhere on your list.