Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Packers have no leverage and have decision to make themselves.  They need to free up coin for free agents too and Rodgers' presence holds that up.

Deal will happen soon.  This won't drag into the summer.

Serious question: how does it effect GB free agency? Do you think they are big players in free agency? 

1 minute ago, Cyberjet said:

Serious question: how does it effect GB free agency? Do you think they are big players in free agency? 

No but they still need money to make some decisions, and Rodgers' contract is a bit of an albatross there.

They currently only have $16M in effective cap space per OTC.

On 3/12/2023 at 5:36 AM, JETS SB said:

What player, in the history of sports, has announced a trade to another team, before the trade was announced by the team or the trade  was “official”. 

At least one that I can think of at the moment.

Aaron Rodgers.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I wonder if the basic terms had been agreed upon around the time the Jets hired hackett and then somewhere along the way, the Packers got greedy and tried to alter the terms and Douglas said  original terms or no deal?  

So the deadline is probably the Draft at least in the Packers mind. I have waited 50+ years, whats a few more weeks because #@&? them.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Looks like all the people on the board that said the guy was an ego maniac have taken a seat.

How can you listen to what he is saying and believe that?

Those people say what they are told to say. Give them time to check in with their echo chamber. They'll come back.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

No but they still need money to make some decisions, and Rodgers' contract is a bit of an albatross there.

I’m just trying to understand the leverage the Jets have to get a decision today before free agency. No way Lazard signs if Rogers not signed. I get the sense GB can drag this out and screw up the Jets free agency without effecting the Rogers endgame for themselves 

1 minute ago, JETS SB said:

So how long do we wait for the trade to actually happen and what are we going to give up.. Did we just lose leverage ?

We just gained a ton of leverage. Packers can't force him to retire and can't force him to accept a trade to a different team and the packers can't afford to pay Rodgers this year to back up Love.

He left bo doubt that he's ONLY playing for the jets. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

He wants to be a Jet but he’s not.

it’s out of his hands. How much compensation do the Jets give up vs how much GB is willing to accept. Right now GB has the power to delay the signing and most likely screw up free agency for the Jets with an unsettled QB situation . Not optimal

No actually it doesn't screw up FA, because he publicly announced it and he could really **** GB over if they don't get it done and the Jets have more money to move around for the moment

I  listened to Aaron Rodgers on Pat McAfee show and am sure there are other takes in the thread, but here is mine.

AR said the Jets knew he wants to play for them on Friday.  Said the delay is that the Packers are digging in their heels on compensation.  

He mentioned being an MVP a couple of times and sounded butthurt about how the Packers handled wanting to move on from him to Jordan Love.  “There’s a right way to do things and a wrong way.”  I don’t know if he wanted a red carpet on the way out the door or what?  

My take: We already knew he is a smug guy, this interview confirmed it again.  However, he is not wishy washy about wanting to play for the Jets.  He did not give the Jets a list of demands, he discussed a few teammates and described their value.

That about sums it up…

• WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

I’m just trying to understand the leverage the Jets have to get a decision today before free agency. No way Lazard signs if Rogers not signed. I get the sense GB can drag this out and screw up the Jets free agency without effecting the Rogers endgame for themselves 

You think Lazard isn't operating as if Rodgers won't be throwing him passes?

Everyone knows it's happening.  Likely before the draft.  Everyone knows Rodgers will be a Jet.  Dragging this out hurts the Packers more than us.

Only way the Jets would lose the leverage here is if another NFL team jumped in on the Rodgers' sweepstakes in the 11th hour.  Maybe that's what GB is hoping for.  But Rodgers saying publicly his intent is to play for the Jets, even if he's not being 100 % truthful about that, doesn't help things for GB.

• Upvote 1