Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

5 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Thanks Woody. This is going to blow up on them.

Should've just signed Carr and called it a day. 

How do we know Carr wanted to sign with the Jets?  He could have been using the Jets to drive up his contract with NO.  He did go to NO first with permission from the Raiders.  We have no idea if he truly wanted to be a Jet or not. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Not talking about Jones. Talking about Mayfield or a Mayfield level QB who is head and shoulders above what is presently on the roster which is not saying much about the present QB room on the Jets. An average QB can lead this team to the playoffs given the overall talent upgrade that has been assembled  

Zach is not the answer and never will be and I would be absolutely floored if he ever did turn it around as a NYJ 

People who prefer Baker Mayfield to Aaron Rodgers for $200, Alex.

5 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Again that’s the issue. Can Rodgers still be the MVP caliber QB in his heyday. This is just a huuuuuuge gamble

If he doesn’t revert back to that form this organization gets set back even further and all the talent that has been assembled will be lost due to the  exorbitant cost of Rodgers contract if it is not restructured to make it more cap friendly 

If Rodgers falls off a cliff this year, you'd cut him. The loss would likely be the pick in 2023 (2nd?) And a dead cap hit of $22m in 2024 and 2025. I'm not sure that's a huge gamble for the Jets.

17 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Woof I hope the retirement talk is for theatrics.

This will be the case each year.  At this point, I hope he becomes a Jet, at a "reasonable" cost, but not looking forward to this year in and year out.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Marino turned down $5m after making $51m in his career. (Turned down 9% career earnings)

Rodgers is set to make $110m over 2 years after making $300m in his career. (Turning down 25% career earnings)

Rodgers would be turning down Marinos career earnings + $7m for 1 year of play.

the problem is rodgers already has FU money.  On top of that, if he retires he will most likely land some job in media or go back to jeopardy.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Begging Aaron Rodgers on the other side of the country because the GM you hired doesn’t seem to have the talent to find talent. 

That's one hell of a take.  JD blew it with Zach for sure.  Not the first or last GM including past and future great ones, who will have done that. 

I kinda like many of the other picks TBH, like G Wilson, Hall, AVT, Sauce.  I even think Moore has a shot to be pretty good.

I am  ok with them kowtowing to the loon.  They deserve to be made to do that with the QBs they have previously picked.

• Upvote 4

Just now, JetPotato said:

People who prefer Baker Mayfield to Aaron Rodgers for $200, Alex.

It’s a lot more nuanced than who would you rather have. A lot of factors other than just Mayfield or a QB like him than Rodgers 

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Was wondering where that jackass Greeny has been in all of this. He is like Cimini - bad Juju and needs to just stay away.

Makes millions of dollars and can't even comb his hair  - spend $5 and put some gel in.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Packers have to pick up Love’s fifth year option. If Rodgers retires, it results in a $41 million dollar cap hit for the Packers. The retirement talk is simply Rodgers forcing the Packers hand

Exactly, why would he want to go to a team that loses this years (or even next) first round pick? He has at most two seasons left and needs the team to have an Oline and probably another linebacker/safety to be competitive. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I've just never seen anything else from you.   Never.  Maybe I missed it. 

I used to be so optimistic. How optimistic? I bought a 63 Dewayne Robertson jersey. And wore it! in public!

I had season tickets and watched Tom Brady blow out the team at home over 10x. Once I even travelled to Foxboro for a Chad playoff game and got spit on for my troubles. 

I wrote Draft articles for Max entitled the "Jets Will Rise Again," 1 week after losing in the AFC CG in 2010

Seems like it was only yesterday. the last time we made the playoffs LOL.

Truth is I used to be the biggest homer in homersville. In a world of green glasses wearers, my glasses were the greenest.  

When I see these kids wondering what happened to me to make me so grizzled (i don't think you're a kid by the way) it's like looking in a mirror to my past.

Over time I realized that optimistic or pessimistic fandom doesn't move the needle either way. It's like wearing the same socks to keep a winning streak alive it's superstition. We can have a conversation about Karma or praying to alter God's plan, predestination vs Free will - but even that seems irrelevant. 

The actual Jets want optimism every offseason so they can sell tickets and merch but the winning and the losing doesn't correlate to our feelings, one way or the other. 

When I see Aaron Rodgers I see a dude who is at the end of his career, it was an amazing career but it's the very end. an almost retired Rodgers, I don't think it moves the needle on this team very much. Sorry I just don't.  In fact the whole thing is a betrayal of JD's built it the right way methods. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

If Rodgers falls off a cliff this year, you'd cut him. The loss would likely be the pick in 2023 (2nd?) And a dead cap hit of $22m in 2024 and 2025. I'm not sure that's a huge gamble for the Jets.

Sure it is. Look how cash strapped Jets were with that ridiculous Trumaine Johnson deal. Contract was an albatross for what 2-3 years 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're gonna look like schmucks if he retires.

Worse, we're gonna look like stupid schmucks if he takes a few weeks into the Free Agency period to make the decision.

/facepalm, hope for the best, fear the worst.....

No we will REALLY look like schmucks when he skips OTAs thumbs his nose at mandatory mini-camp and then decides to retire the day before training camp starts. Such a bad idea at so many levels. If we do this it will not end well.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

"Another member of the #Jets who went out west to meet with Aaron Rodgers: Team president Hymie Elhai."

Rodgers needs a wispy bearded Ashram-residing guru not a well meaning corporate sports-lifer to visit;

AR is anti-structure, anti-authority, anti-corporate...an aspirational Big Lebowski  without any of the sweet humor of The Original Dude, Jeff Bridges.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

This is fkn torture!

I hate waiting.......HATE IT.

I will drive 45 minutes to go to a high end restaurant, show up and see a huge gaggle of people waiting for a table and turn right around and settle for a McRib.

Lines are my kryptonite.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the big issue i see is if rodgers drags this out too long.  by right the jets really need to know before free agency so they can see how much they can spend and if they will have the draft picks they have now.

Don't think he'll screw over Hackett so we should know soon enough 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Begging Aaron Rodgers on the other side of the country because the GM you hired doesn’t seem to have the talent to find talent. 

Bipolar fans with amnesia, have tendencies of living the moment and forgetting the fecal matter that has been force-fed down our throats for decades. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Don't think he'll screw over Hackett so we should know soon enough 

Funny how things work out - Hackett went from a lost soul on the sideline last year under a firing watch to the central figure in getting a HOF QB to the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Usually the jets lose out on players who go to other teams.  This could be the first time a player chooses not to play over playing for the jets. 

Rodgers is great but he is a diva with a big Ego. I’m sure he is having a tough time taking the surprise that Green Bay doesn’t want him, or ANY other team than team with only zach Wilson as alternate lol. I honestly think Jets will benefit because if he plays, he will with a huge chip on his shoulder. Last time he did was after GB drafted Love in first rd. And he then went on to win back to back MVPs 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

We're gonna look like schmucks if he retires.

Worse, we're gonna look like stupid schmucks if he takes a few weeks into the Free Agency period to make the decision.

/facepalm, hope for the best, fear the worst.....

Have to think he was told they need a decision by start of free agency.  I agree that no matter what they look like idiots if he ends up retiring.  

• Upvote 2