Fan Fiction Dept.: Possible Compensation Proposal with Green Bay

If Murphy is demanding at least a 1st round pick with the Jets as the only game in town, imagine what he'd be asking for if there was more than 1 team interested.

Murphy could be just messing with Rodgers, too.

He might figure if this drags out too long, Rodgers will just retire, in which case they'd be freed from his salary and can defer the cap hit on the bonus money til next year (per Andrew Brandt).

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't think there is any way the Packers accept a swap of picks.  Especially to just move up two slots.  I think maybe a 2 and a conditional pick next year -- say a 3 that becomes a 2 with playoffs or a 1 sith SB.

What is the Packers Alternative?  Is there someone else offering more that Rodgers will actually go to?

The definition of bidding against yourself.  Take this offer of leave it.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I believe that you are wrong, and that the Packers have no leverage at all.

They absolutely have to get Rodgers’ contract off their books, and the only way to do that is to trade him. The Jets are the only team bidding and it’s not Tanny or Mac at the helm, anymore. Rodgers has made his intentions known and the Jets, by signing Lazard, are making it pretty clear that they’re operating as if it’s already a done deal. Why? Because in the end, the Packers have to agree to a trade while the Jets do not. The Jets want the deal to get done, very much, but they’ll survive if they don’t. If the Packers don’t get this trade done to incur just an $8.6M cap hit this season, they’re looking at either picking up his $59M bonus before the start of the season or suffering a post-June 1 cap hit of $43.6M. Neither situation is tenable for them. If I’m JD, I give them a deadline after which I’m lowering my offer. Because they have no leverage. 

Don't forget, if they do not pick up the 2024 option that becomes guaranteed salary in 2024.  

Decline either option it becomes salary and not prorated.

• Upvote 2

Just now, hawk said:

Don't forget, if they do not pick up the 2024 option that becomes guaranteed salary in 2024.  

Decline either option it becomes salary and not prorated.

Exactly. The Packers are ****ed. They can try to pretend otherwise for a little while, but they’re ****ed. 

• Upvote 2

They key here is for JD to give a deadline for them to answer to his best offer. On that same call say all the leverage we have. And say if we don't have an answer by that deadline. The offer goes down. That the current offer will no longer be on the table post that deadline.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Packers are a team that rarely spends on free agents. They build their team through the draft. I think they want to hold 2 first rd picks, not to move up 2 spots in round 1. So I doubt that gets it done.

I’d send them a 2 this year and a 2 next year. that should be more than enough for a 39 year old qb. 

So 2 2s for a one year rental that costs essentially $75 million dollars and leaves us with no QB in a year. Brilliant plan this is.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

I hope Rogers stays with the Packers, not retiring, and conducts himself as if he is a full time Ayahuasca shaman and part time NFL QB, enraging all the fat, milk and cheese fed mid western Packers fans. 

Maybe dabble in Aleister Crowley  Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn mysticism, to get the various religious fundamentalists out there all spun up. 

Yeah. F*ck it. This would be WAY MORE entertaining than seeing AR as a Jet QB.

This is where my rooting interests now lie. My apologies. Sports is entertainment, and the above scenario more entertaining, at least to me. 

I love it when sh*t backfires on douchebags like Roger goodell and "gutey"

Tuning in on Sundays, Rodgers looking all smug on the bench, making 60 mil

Now that's entertainment!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I have faith in Joe Douglas.  I find it very unlikely he didn't have deal parameters in place before kicking off this process with Rodgers.  I find it more likely GB is moving the goal line.  If this ultimately blows up and we hear that this is what happened, I will find it hard to fault the Jets for any of this.  If GB would rather blow up their current cap and future plans with Jordan Love over last-minute greed, then so be it.  Both teams will be worse off for it, but I support the Jets for not caving to this tactic if this is indeed what is happening.

The important point is...since we DO NOT KNOW what is actually going on, it seems a little histrionic to blast the Jets over the delay.  JD has given us a lot of evidence to support that he's very good at this.  I'm not going to throw him to the wolves without facts.  Period.

Trey Wingo said it’s 99% done. AR will be in NY next week. 

Until proven otherwise, I am only paying attention to Trey

All these other talking heads are just filling their airtime and trying to be relevant on this. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CapeCoralJetFan said:

Okay, the Packers would like to get a #1 Draft Choice for Rodgers (not going to happen) We got Farve for bassicsally a #3 choice.

What if we gave them oor #1 (13th pick) & they gave us their #1 (15th pick) They get a #1 from us (they move up 2 spots in the draft & we still have a #1 pick. The difference is about a #3 or #4 pick

What do you think? Is it do-able?

Let them have their choice of Corey Davis, Lawson or Whitehead in addition to a #3 pick.

Swapping from #13 to #15 isn't going to make a difference as far as satisfying Murphy no matter what the trade value chart says.
If the Packers insist on that, fine.
Rodgers just admitted publicly he was "90% retired".  Whatever trade cost they are paying is for 1 season of AR.
Anything beyond that can't be factored into consideration for this deal.
Worst-case scenario, I think you have to pivot to Lamar (or at least threaten to) and then watch Murphy grovel.
Lamar can pivot to the moon

The next move will be Stafford.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

They're not going to get it.

If they draw a line in the sand at that level, the Jets will ultimately move on.

Simple as that.  I see no universe where JD gives two #1 picks for Rodgers, fan pressure or not.

No need to move on. Even if they dragged this all the way to sept. But then they only get a 5th round pick for dickking us around . Since they will then panic and forced to trade rodgers before he’s lock in on their cap. Rodgers can secretly study, knows the OC, some of receivers. I know we would rather have him work with team well before then, but rodgers isn’t too adamant about off season anyway. Baker had like 1 day to learn an entire new O before his career game when traded to rams. If he can easily do it, I think 1 of all time greats can quickly adapt too..

this is the hold up:

The Green Bay Packers Board of Directors is the organization that serves as the owner of record for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL). The Packers have been a publicly owned, non-profit corporation since August 18, 1923.

A seven-member executive committee elected from a board of directors governs the corporation.

On 3/16/2023 at 11:05 AM, nycdan said:

There is one other x-factor in all this.  I would imagine Rodgers is well aware of what the original deal parameters were.  If this deal tanks because GB changed their minds, and Rodgers has to go back there (without Lazard), he's going to be grumpy.  I would imagine that a grumpy $60M QB can cause a lot of problems for a franchise.  GB fans will turn on the front office faster than a cat hopped up on catnip in a room full of mice in that case.  I cannot imagine Mark Murphy wants it to get to that point.

To this point.  There is zero chance GB wants him in the building any more after what just transpired..   GB does not allow toxicity in its locker room...

On 3/16/2023 at 11:38 AM, Lith said:

I don't think there is any way the Packers accept a swap of picks.  Especially to just move up two slots.  I think maybe a 2 and a conditional pick next year -- say a 3 that becomes a 2 with playoffs or a 1 sith SB.

A Sith QB? 

Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

Green Bay wants #13 but also to trade rodgers after June 1 presumably. Wonder if the jets will take Green Bay’s choice at 13 and then Green Bay takes a jets choice with a later pick and then they are all traded June 2?  Super strange idea but there really is no explanation for the delay other than contractual obligations. 2 experienced GMs could hammer this out in 36 hours 

On 3/17/2023 at 2:40 AM, Fantasy Island said:

this is the hold up:

The Green Bay Packers Board of Directors is the organization that serves as the owner of record for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL). The Packers have been a publicly owned, non-profit corporation since August 18, 1923.

A seven-member executive committee elected from a board of directors governs the corporation.

I don’t think so.    They usually stay out of football affairs, leaving that to the President and GM.   These people are doctors and car dealership owners

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

A Sith QB? 

Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

I am either the worst typist on this site, or I just desperately need much better spell check software.  Rereading some of my posts is cringeworthy.

On the other hand, I had to google Sith - I knew it had something to do with Star Wars, but had no idea if a Sith QB would be a good or bad thing.  Did not take long to figure out the Sith are dark lords, who are committed to embracing evil to achieve their goals.

Will East™ on Twitter: "Bill Belichick is a Dark Lord of The Sith! Now  witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Tom Brady!  http://t.co/9E7SQzzG" / Twitter

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Larz said:

Green Bay wants #13 but also to trade rodgers after June 1 presumably. Wonder if the jets will take Green Bay’s choice at 13 and then Green Bay takes a jets choice with a later pick and then they are all traded June 2?  Super strange idea but there really is no explanation for the delay other than contractual obligations. 2 experienced GMs could hammer this out in 36 hours 

The delay is because the Packers want more than than the Jets will give them, and have no other suitors, so they’re pausing in hopes that someone else gets in, the Jets blink, or both. That’s the whole explanation. 

If the Packers want something from this year’s draft, they’ll need to trade before it. Otherwise the Jets will happily hold onto their picks this year and offer another conditional pick down the road. Also, the post June 1 thing doesn’t help the Packers much this year and they may want to get it don’t before then so more money doesn’t get stretched out into future years. No reason to think that’s much of a factor. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/16/2023 at 11:32 AM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Packers are a team that rarely spends on free agents. They build their team through the draft. I think they want to hold 2 first rd picks, not to move up 2 spots in round 1. So I doubt that gets it done.

I’d send them a 2 this year and a 2 next year. that should be more than enough for a 39 year old qb. 

Way too much.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The packers trade him to another team ( who cares) if he wants to go there , force him to either accept that trade or retire.  

They actually need someone to step up and want him for that to happen. He's out there. He's available. Nobody else stepped up. Every team spent FA cash and brought in other QBs or plans to draft a QB. There literally is no room (cap wise or roster spot) on any other logical team. 

Name 1 team, at this time, that's even RUMORED to want him. If there was another bidder, jets would have a tad more urgency, don't ya think?

Edit: if there was another serious player, don't you think the jets would know? Either through discussions with GB, or Rodgers, or just through normal channels/pipelines? 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, slats said:

The delay is because the Packers want more than than the Jets will give them, and have no other suitors, so they’re pausing in hopes that someone else gets in, the Jets blink, or both. That’s the whole explanation. 

If the Packers want something from this year’s draft, they’ll need to trade before it. Otherwise the Jets will happily hold onto their picks this year and offer another conditional pick down the road. Also, the post June 1 thing doesn’t help the Packers much this year and they may want to get it don’t before then so more money doesn’t get stretched out into future years. No reason to think that’s much of a factor. 

From todays Cimini article 

Right now, Rodgers counts $31.6 million on the salary cap. If the Packers trade him before June 1, his cap charge balloons to $40.3 million -- and they would have to carry that for the entire season. If they wait until after June 1 to deal him, the cap hit is spread out over two seasons -- $15.8 million this year and $24.5 million in 2024. That would give them about $25 million in extra 2023 cap room to improve other areas of the roster.

this won’t be official until June 2 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Right now, Rodgers counts $31.6 million on the salary cap. If the Packers trade him before June 1, his cap charge balloons to $40.3 million -- and they would have to carry that for the entire season. If they wait until after June 1 to deal him, the cap hit is spread out over two seasons -- $15.8 million this year and $24.5 million in 2024. That would give them about $25 million in extra 2023 cap room to improve other areas of the roster.

I'm totally ok with that scenario, I just don't see the packers wanting to miss on some additional picks this draft. 

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

They have to deal with that money either way. It’s only a matter of when they pay it, not if. I don’t believe a matter of accounting will get in the way of them looking to collect a pick in this year’s draft, even if it’s not the one they want. 

I've seen a few notes on why the Jets might want to hang on to both their 1st and 2nd this year.  The 2nd round pick is prime territory for getting the Center they want/need.  #13 is too high and they may want to use that on an OT.  Kind of a Brick/Mangold ticket for this draft.  If they can stall until after, that might be JD's goal.

Alternatively, if you see them wanting to preserve capital for next year's draft in case they decide they need to draft a QB then, that could be a completely different path.  Perhaps give GB #13 but take back a 2nd next year or something like that to give us more capital for 2024. 

I have no idea but it should be interesting no matter which way it goes as long as Rodgers gets here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

The packers trade him to another team ( who cares) if he wants to go there , force him to either accept that trade or retire.  

There is no other team willing to take him on. By all accounts the only other team in on him was LV and they went another direction. No other team is going emerge out of the blue.

• Upvote 1