Would you be open to Drafting developmental QB in Rd. 6

If good prospects falls like Duggan or Bennet even O'Connell you have to pull the trigger. Zach is done the Jets need to find a answer at QB Rogers is 1 year he gets hurt might be 1 month Jets cant go into the season Zach and Streveler as the future of this franchise. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The odds of landing a longterm QB in the 6th round are so minuscule it’s absurd.

I don’t see the point

Devote every resource towards building the team around Rodgers this year and then if you’re really feeling ballsy, go all in on getting a guy like Drake Maye in 2024 even if Rodgers returns for another year.

He will not be around for us in 2024... We will have to give away most of our draft picks to go up and get him, unless 2023 is a complete disaster of a season, in which then I think everyone will be fired, and we start all over again lol...

Yes.  I always appreciated the work that Ron Wolf did in the draft.  His philosophy was to draft a developmental QB in the 6th or 7th round of the draft every year. Guy's like Mark Brunnel, Pederson, Ty Detmer.  Like the coaching tree we always refer to on successful coaches, many GM's have tried to emulate the success of Ron Wolf.  Side note, While Wolf worked for the Jets, he scouted Brett Farve who he was going to draft before being selected one pick before to Atlanta.  When Wolf the following year got the GM job with GB, he traded for Farve:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/07/nfl-draft-2017-ron-wolf-green-bay-packers-draft-philosophy-quarterbacks-reggie-mckenzie-john-dorsey

Wolf’s most notable stamp on modern scouting is his view on quarterbacks: While there’s only room for one starter, you can never acquire too many. In Wolf’s world, it is worthwhile to draft a QB every year, no matter the current roster situation. “Looking now from afar, the best quarterback in the game is a sixth-round draft choice [Tom Brady], and that should alert everybody,” Wolf says. “Then you look at what the Cowboys have accomplished with a fourth-round draft choice. I mean, it tells you what you should do. Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.”

Consider that in seven out of eight drafts from 1992 to ’99, Wolf drafted a quarterback, even after Brett Favre was entrenched as the starter. “I learned very early in this game, if you don’t have a quarterback, you don’t have a chance,” Wolf said. “We were very lucky that we had a unique quarterback that never missed a game. But that didn’t stop me from drafting in late rounds. It’s the premiere position, and you better be able to cover yourself.”

In acquiring extra arms—among them Ty Detmer (1992 ninth round), Mark Brunell (’93 fifth round), Matt Hasselbeck (’98 sixth round) and Aaron Brooks (’99 fourth round), all of whom became starters for other teams—Wolf says he was bringing in players to challenge Favre. But more importantly, he was looking for raw talent to cultivate for backup roles, or to dangle for a trade and acquire even more draft picks.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, jetsons said:

With the limited picks this year, I would not do it... maybe next year if there are extra picks to take a chance with. 

I would disagree.  What happens after this year if Rodgers retires?  You are back to square 1 with Zach.  But if you draft a developmental QB, and he does very well, then at least you have a #2 QB for next year, at the least.  And if it does't work out, then you try again.  The 6th round pick is always a crap shoot, and I would prefer to take that risk on a QB if you like one at that spot.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would be open to this. Very good athlete & strong arm. We have to keep on drafting a Qb until we find our long-term answer.

NYJ

Dorian Thompson-Robinson
QB UCLA

Considering that they're going to give up resources for a 1 year rental at QB only to hit reset and start all over again 10 months from now, yes, I'd very much be open to it and I do like DTR in this example.  Exciting player who could have some juice at the next level.  That said, I'd also be 100% fine w/ Herndon Hooker in the 2nd as well.  Hell, I'd take Anthony Richardson at 13.  However it happens, they should 100% be drafting a QB, punting Zach to the moon and developing that young man while Rodgers trips his balls off into retirement.  

• Upvote 2

The 49ers drafted Brock Purdy in the 7th round.

If thinking in the long term, the Jets should definitely be looking to take a Qb relatively high as a back up/successor to Rodgers.  But, given the Rodgers Go For Broke Plan, they can't spare the picks.  They will need to do that in 2024.

But in the later rounds, looking for a QB with raw potential, or a Kicker or Punter that could be top player at the position (which they usually are if actually drafted), seems to me to be the right move. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2023 at 1:25 PM, Untouchable said:

The odds of landing a longterm QB in the 6th round are so minuscule it’s absurd.

I don’t see the point

Devote every resource towards building the team around Rodgers this year and then if you’re really feeling ballsy, go all in on getting a guy like Drake Maye in 2024 even if Rodgers returns for another year.

Number 2 qb on the cheap would be great value if already paying rodgers high salary and Zack to ride the pine as a major project. Someone who may not have a big ceiling, but better than what we will have at 2 if you don’t draft a qb

If the Jets were going to go that route, I would Definitley take a flyer on this guy... 

Lots of back shoulder, lots of great catches, headless chicken act .. check ... Not a lot of over the top stuff. Maybe a flyer in the 5th if he plummets.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Lots of back shoulder, lots of great catches, headless chicken act .. check ... Not a lot of over the top stuff. Maybe a flyer in the 5th if he plummets.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with back shoulder passes & nothing wrong with having good receivers... the frenetic part, that's his game... nothing wrong with that either...  when I watch him play I get Mayfield feel a litte bit... when "frenetic" is not your game that's when it's a problem.... I should have been more clear, when I stated "flyer" I'm meant as the Jets last pick in the draft would go to selecting him... I don't see him being drafted higher than the 6th round, if that... I can easily see him being an UDFA. 

On 4/4/2023 at 8:24 PM, jetsons said:

If the Jets were going to go that route, I would Definitley take a flyer on this guy... 

Yes without a doubt.  While I would go in the 6th or 7th round for him, Im sure the Ravens would have him rated at least one round higher.

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 4:37 PM, 20andOut said:

I’m ok with project QB from round 3 on

This.  

If you do not have a guy that is considered elite, you are at a disadvantage.  Look at teams not named Buffalo, KC, Cincy or LA in the AFC.  And this is not even considering Lamar, Russ or Trevor. 

Chances are you will need to go through at least two of Allen, Burrow or Mahomes to get to the Superbowl.  Not win, but simply get to.