If I were Joe Douglas, I would warn the Green Bay Packers.

Alka

5 minutes ago, hawk said:

You do understand, the best thing for new York is that this done after the draft, and no 2023 compensation is possible?

I do understand that.  But is there no scenario where the Jets draft a QB in the 1st or second round?  What I think people are getting confused about, is that my initial statement to the Packers is not a threat at all.  I called it what it is, a warning.  A warning that as time goes on, the Jets might be presented with an opportunity to grab something which might change the outlook on the entire trade for Rodgers.  

There is a saying: "Time kills all deals."  

I agree with you, in that it would be best for the Jets to make a deal after the draft for Rodgers, but why not make a true statement, in that anything can happen in the meantime.  Maybe it makes Green Bay think a little more, but perhaps not.  For me, I don't see how it could hurt, and as far as I am concerned, it is a true statement.  Nothing is in stone, until a deal is struck.

30 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Again, no Rodgers because you want to protect the 24th 1st to what end? 7-10 again with a terrible QB? I don't understand this logic. 

You want to give up a 2023 2nd and a 2024 1st with no conditions?  There is no guarantee that a season with Rodgers doesn't end up in a SB, or the playoffs, or a better record than 7-10.  I'm glad you aren't in charge of this trade.  GB would have the Jets 2023 and 2024 first round picks already......

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

At this point, we are all debating the same thing.  Are we okay with this deal not happening?  It means we keep all our picks and cap room, but are likely looking at Bridgewater, Wentz, or Ryan for a season while we figure out our 2024 plan.  

As much as I'd hate to see that happen, I would be okay with it if JD has a line he won't cross and GB doesn't meet him there.  For me that's roughly a 2023 2nd and a 2024 2nd (with escalation for a SB appearance only).  But at the end of the day, I have no control so it will be what it will be and I will still root for the team like mad.  In that case I will root for Rodgers to show up and create strife there and the Packers to be firmly mediocre, winning about 7 games so they are stuck in purgatory indefinitely.

With Teddy Ballgame at QB in 2023, the Jets would win the division. But, he does currently have a contract offer from the Lions. Hopefully, he knows enough to keep his powder dry until after the draft. 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I would warn the Green Bay Packers that if no deal is done by draft day, it might be a possibility that we pick a QB in the draft if one drops to us that we like, and could possibly walk away from any trade for Aaron Rodgers.  I would say that it is a possibility, but not a guarantee.  I would make this statement either the day before or the day of the draft, so that Green Bay could start to sweat it out, if not deal is brokered immediately.

I want Joe Douglas to hold firm with his trade offer to Green Bay, and let them know that in any scenario, time is running out on a trade.  I assume that if no deal is made before or during the draft, the Jets must 100% draft a QB, whether it's in round #1, or round #6 to have someone to develop.  To me, that is one of the biggest issues I have with the Jets, in that they don't regularly draft QB's in later rounds, just to protect themselves when their big-time QB gets hurt or sucks, instead of bringing in 37 year old QB' veterans whose skills have greatly diminished.

There's nothing to warn them about.  The stakes and the risks to both teams are clear. Neither the Jets nor the Packers have to make this trade before the draft in two weeks. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You want to give up a 2023 2nd and a 2024 1st with no conditions?  There is no guarantee that a season with Rodgers doesn't end up in a SB, or the playoffs, or a better record than 7-10.  I'm glad you aren't in charge of this trade.  GB would have the Jets 2023 and 2024 first round picks already......

Some people of the same people shouting how awful a GM Douglas is for not giving up those picks want the Jets to give up all those picks so they can then pivot to how awful a GM Douglas is because he gave the picks up.  It's a disease.  There is no scenario for some under which the Jets did well.  Even if GB caves, it will still be a narrative of Douglas got lucky and should still be fired.  Anything to support the crumbling narrative.  I try to just gloss by those posts.

The best part of this is that is is self-identifying.  Anyone who objects to the characterization...well... :)

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

With Teddy Ballgame at QB in 2023, the Jets would win the division. But, he does currently have a contract offer from the Lions. Hopefully, he knows enough to keep his powder dry until after the draft. 

I think anyone feeling a negative kneejerk reaction to this should at least invest 30 seconds in looking at his stats.  Here, let me save you the trouble.  

75 TD - 47 INT

66.4% Completion %

90.5 career rating

He gets sacked a lot so having a good OLine is critical, but he can get the work done.  As far as journeymen QBs go, he's not the worst thing out there.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

No. Just hold firm and wait it out.

They have to trade him. Even if we get him in August, what’s the worse case situation? We get off to a slow start. Maybe play 500 ball for the first 4 games. Then roll from there. 

Kinda like GB rolled last year by missing all the camp and off season together ?

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

At this point, we are all debating the same thing.  Are we okay with this deal not happening?  It means we keep all our picks and cap room, but are likely looking at Bridgewater, Wentz, or Ryan for a season while we figure out our 2024 plan.  

As much as I'd hate to see that happen, I would be okay with it if JD has a line he won't cross and GB doesn't meet him there.  For me that's roughly a 2023 2nd and a 2024 2nd (with escalation for a SB appearance only).  But at the end of the day, I have no control so it will be what it will be and I will still root for the team like mad.  In that case I will root for Rodgers to show up and create strife there and the Packers to be firmly mediocre, winning about 7 games so they are stuck in purgatory indefinitely.

Exactly. The ultimate power in a standoff is whether you are willing to walk away from the deal and accept the consequences otherwise you don’t have the upper hand, the power you require in negotiations. In my opinion GB cannot afford to walk away from the deal because it would be far more crippling for them than for the Jets. 

the board will bitch if JD walks away but that would be the right thing to do under certain circumstances. He can always walk back if GB comes calling.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I would warn the Green Bay Packers that if no deal is done by draft day, it might be a possibility that we pick a QB in the draft if one drops to us that we like, and could possibly walk away from any trade for Aaron Rodgers.  I would say that it is a possibility, but not a guarantee.  I would make this statement either the day before or the day of the draft, so that Green Bay could start to sweat it out, if not deal is brokered immediately.

I want Joe Douglas to hold firm with his trade offer to Green Bay, and let them know that in any scenario, time is running out on a trade.  I assume that if no deal is made before or during the draft, the Jets must 100% draft a QB, whether it's in round #1, or round #6 to have someone to develop.  To me, that is one of the biggest issues I have with the Jets, in that they don't regularly draft QB's in later rounds, just to protect themselves when their big-time QB gets hurt or sucks, instead of bringing in 37 year old QB' veterans whose skills have greatly diminished.

It would be more effective if he just threatened to break them like a pretzel. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Will nobody care if JD gives away a 2023 2nd and a 2024 2nd and Rodgers is finished, has a poor season, retires, and the Jets go 7-10 again, or worse, and GB got multiple picks and a huge contract off it's books ?  Then the Jets have no QB, have no assets to trade for a QB in 2024, and took a one year flier and crashed. You'll be the first one screaming for JD's head if that happens.  There is football beyond 2023 and the Jets can't give away too much for a one year flier just to satisfy your desire for a one year run at a playoff berth.  We've seen these seasons before and they are not that satisfying.  

You totally avoided the qustion. yes you should absolutly gamble on Rodgers because i ASK AGAIN who is playing QB for the Jets in 5 months if no A rod?!

53 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

23 2nd and 24 1st seems reasonable to me. Every day past the draft this goes on it negatively effects the Jets. If JD truly beleives in Rodgers we shouldn't fret about a late round 1st in 24. 

• More Ugh 1

I sincerely hope JD has an account to Jet Nation.  

There have been so many helpful threads since the Rodgers trade talks began.  I would think he could use one or maybe more than one of the theories thrown around on how to get the deal done.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

23 2nd and 24 1st seems reasonable to me. Every day past the draft this goes on it negatively effects the Jets. If JD truly beleives in Rodgers we shouldn't fret about a late round 1st in 24. 

And so if Rodgers bombs, but the Jets have a decent draft,  and the Jets are in the market for another QB in 2024, JD gets a pass for the bad trade, right?

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Yea, lets roll with another unproven rookie QB at 13 who would easily be a 3rd or 4th rounder in any other draft

Solid stance....that will scare them

I’d do it only if it came with free sourdough pretzels. Those don’t break easily are are scrumptious.

16 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Respectfully disagree. Deadlines are crucial in business dealings.

Would you be OK with Rodgers reporting to the Jets on Monday of week 1? 

A manufactured transparent weak ultimatum is different than an actual deadline. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I think that threads should be judged on how many responses that people decide to respond to.  If a thread has no responses, or very few, than that thread would be deemed nonsense of deserving its own thread.  

I like my thread.  If you don't like it, or think it's nonsense, then ignore it.  But you didn't, did you?  

Do you know what I do when I think a thread is nonsense?  I ignore it!  Maybe you can learn something from me.  Maybe not.  I don't know you, and maybe that's a good thing.

Have you read the responses? How many are taking your “point” seriously?

Your random thoughts aren’t as interesting as you think they are, nor do they need to be made a separate thread.
Again… you could have very easily left this in the main thread.

4 hours ago, Alka said:

do you think Zach wilson should be developed and given a chance to learn under rogers? Geno was able to play the position after a few years of riding the pine. QB is a learned skill if you have some talent and I think zach has some talent. Or do you think we should just give up on him? Cause I do not see any scenario where you have have Zach on the team if we draft another QB. especillay now that we are signing two GB Qbs.

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Again, no Rodgers because you want to protect the 24th 1st to what end? 7-10 again with a terrible QB? I don't understand this logic. 

So you want to give up a first on a guy that will probably play for 1 year and the Jets get hit with 60 million in dead money. That's why Greenbay is holding out because they know Woody and the fan base will cave and screw the Jets just like several teams have done in the past like that great Doug Jolly Trade. I rather spin the wheel and find the next Brock Purdy in the draft then allow Greenbay to screw this team over this team isn't a QB away from the SB period so they can keep him and eat his cap money

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Respectfully disagree. Deadlines are crucial in business dealings.

Would you be OK with Rodgers reporting to the Jets on Monday of week 1? 

If I was the Packers and I said this is the offer take it or leave it I move on as I would need to get fair value Right or wrong threats like that just don’t play with me that well as rather stubborn I am and not in the negotiating business 

With that said If it were up to me I wouldn’t have even gone after Rodgers az I really don’t want him. too much crap with him too expensive for one year An average QB can take team this quite far as it has quite a bit of talent as Zach was an absolute horror show

Not as concerned about o line as I feel we can’t be as snake bitten as we were last year on that unit. Laken can’t be that bad again as maybe he tried to cover for Brown too much and didn’t worry about his responsibility. Center is legit issue though 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

So you want to give up a first on a guy that will probably play for 1 year and the Jets get hit with 60 million in dead money. That's why Greenbay is holding out because they know Woody and the fan base will cave and screw the Jets just like several teams have done in the past like that great Doug Jolly Trade. I rather spin the wheel and find the next Brock Purdy in the draft then allow Greenbay to screw this team over this team isn't a QB away from the SB period so they can keep him and eat his cap money

Yea goods luck with your random "spin of the wheel" for Brock Purdy. Odds tell me the 4 time MVP is much better odds

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I do understand that.  But is there no scenario where the Jets draft a QB in the 1st or second round?  What I think people are getting confused about, is that my initial statement to the Packers is not a threat at all.  I called it what it is, a warning.  A warning that as time goes on, the Jets might be presented with an opportunity to grab something which might change the outlook on the entire trade for Rodgers.  

There is a saying: "Time kills all deals."  

I agree with you, in that it would be best for the Jets to make a deal after the draft for Rodgers, but why not make a true statement, in that anything can happen in the meantime.  Maybe it makes Green Bay think a little more, but perhaps not.  For me, I don't see how it could hurt, and as far as I am concerned, it is a true statement.  Nothing is in stone, until a deal is struck.

This is incredibly stupid

• Upvote 1