### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Smith is the only guy that would have been worse for me. lol

Hey i am sure he is a fine enough player I just deduct value if you are actually not on the field.  He has to be like a 15 sack guy and create turnovers to make this a good pick.

And if he comes in and does well good chance it devalues the guy we traded up for last year.

Time will tell.

You don’t think there is a chance by 24, both of those guys are our starting edge rushers?

26 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

JD does not think on multiple levels. He got played by BB and then they put on a show in the war room for the cameras to hide their embarrassment. 

BB is the worst draft guy ever. I think the Jets weren't looking for a tackle there unless PS or Paris fell. We will add a depth piece to the line later. I said it before, you cannot have a rookie protecting Rodger's blind side. Not sure many Jets fans know this, but the guys who were hurt on the line last year are pretty healthy now. That means all of the reps the backups got will serve us well next year depth wise. AVT is coming back as is Mitchell, Becton and the others. We will pick up a center and/or depth piece later too. Our line was fine until everyone got injured. Brown will be much better now that he is healthy.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I predict he will beat JJ out for real reps, right away. He's legit and an older prospect ready to go right away. I like him better than Van Ness. Will McDonald IV has a finished spin move like Dwight Freeney. As for reps, Carl Lawson has one year left. Maybe they move JJ to OLB. Will McDonald will earn reps, I believe that to be the case. 

I don't know how much you mess with a guy like that - he's going to work on his body but it's not worth putting 20 pounds on him if it affects his explosion. His also a hustle football first guy. Hasaan Reddick, Brian Burns, maybe even Johnny Abe are decent Comps - I don't give JD credit for much lately but this was a good pick  

I agree.  The jets really do not have long-term pass rushers.  Lawson and huff may not be there in 2024.

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I’m just confused. Some of you are being such pussies. The actual player and position doesn’t bother me but we could’ve easily traded back and still got him. That’s annoying me more than anything. 

what were the trade back offers? 

Just now, Greensleeves said:

BB is the worst draft guy ever. I think the Jets weren't looking for a tackle there unless PS or Paris fell. We will add a depth piece to the line later. I said it before, you cannot have a rookie protecting Rodger's blind side. Not sure many Jets fans know this, but the guys who were hurt on the line last year are pretty healthy now. That means all of the reps the backups got will serve us well next year depth wise. AVT is coming back as is Mitchell, Becton and the others. We will pick up a center and/or depth piece later too. Our line was fine until everyone got injured. Brown will be much better now that he is healthy.

They’re probably going C tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

And if we passed on him and BB took him and he turned out to be a stud? Probably wasn't going to happen, but imagine if it did. JSN would have been nice (although he fell to 20...), but we did grab GW in the 1st and Breece in the. 2nd last year. It is not like we haven't been building the weapons.

Either way, the pick has been made - lets hope it works out.

Why keep worrying what NE does... BB has proved he's not that good at the draft. We had enough edge as we also picked JJ in the first last year. This year is about offense and handing Rodgers everything he needs. GW and Hall are a good start, but having a slot like JSN would have made them even better. Can't rely on Davis as he's never on the field and drops to many passes. JSN or GW would have done well in the slot, and mixing it up on the outside. Especially since we got hosed on the OL we could have had if we stayed at 13. Again JMO.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They have a two year window to win a ring with Rodgers. Two things win games in the NFL: QBs and guys who sack the QB. They just got a guy who will presumably help sack the QB. Do I love the pick? No. But I appreciate the philosophy behind it. Let Rodgers get the team ahead in games, then unleash a NASCAR package in the second half against the opposing QB. 

Figures that one of the few times I like a Jets pick, everyone else hates it. In terms of the player, there’s not much to argue with: McDonald’s workout numbers were nuts (he hit Waldo’s twitch metric). In terms of value, that obviously remains to be seen, but I think the likeliest thing is the Steelers screwed them out of Jones, they felt like 15 was too rich for the DTs, and they don’t think JSN can separate in the pros. If that’s the case I’m not sure who else the pick is supposed to be. An off-ball linebacker? Come on. 

The one issue it raises is that we basically have to go OL at 42 now. Better hope Schmitz or Tippman are there.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I predict he will beat JJ out for real reps, right away. He's legit and an older prospect ready to go right away. I like him better than Van Ness. Will McDonald IV has a finished spin move like Dwight Freeney. As for reps, Carl Lawson has one year left. Maybe they move JJ to OLB. Will McDonald will earn reps, I believe that to be the case. 

I don't know how much you mess with a guy like that - he's going to work on his body but it's not worth putting 20 pounds on him if it affects his explosion. His also a hustle football first guy. Hasaan Reddick, Brian Burns, maybe even Johnny Abe are decent Comps - I don't give JD credit for much lately but this was a good pick  

So we botched the JJ pick last year which we traded up for then eh?  As in Saleh talked douglas into trading up for.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Agreed and been posting on the dedicated thread 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

John abraham is who he reminds me of on that tape. U took the words out of my mind 

• Upvote 1

I bet the staff was disappointed not to have a shot at the blue chip offensive lineman. Broderick Jones may have been too raw to start. I bet Rodgers prefers a more experienced WR corps that includes Davis rather than JSN. We have to be sure to keep the teeth in our defense and this guy will contribute immediately. OLB is a need. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, dbatesman said:

Figures that one of the few times I like a Jets pick, everyone else hates it. In terms of the player, there’s not much to argue with: McDonald’s workout numbers were nuts (he hit Waldo’s twitch metric). In terms of value, that obviously remains to be seen, but I think the likeliest thing is the Steelers screwed them out of Jones, they felt like 15 was too rich for the DTs, and they don’t think JSN can separate in the pros. If that’s the case I’m not sure who else the pick is supposed to be. An off-ball linebacker? Come on. 

The one issue it raises is that we basically have to go OL at 42 now. Better hope Schmitz or Tippman are there.

It’s been said here a lot but every OL does not have to be round 1.  There will be an OL worth taking tomorrow 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

This is a great post.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Everyone hates it, of course you love it.  Contrarian to the end.

• Haha 1

An undersized EDGE from football powerhouse Iowa State at #15

I think the last Iowa State player drafted by Jets was that LB Idzik drafted in Ike round 5 Jeremiah George?

Kincaid and Mayer were on the board

Even Gonzalez would have been better

McDonald was a reach.  Don’t care what Kiper or anybody else says…

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

On the bright side, he practices parkour for fun. I love my parkour. My son does it for fun as well. Crazy sport. 

I tried doing that and my butt ended up parked on the floor. He's an athletre no doubt about it. Reminds me of Haason Reddick 6'1  235  who had tons of sacks - am I right?  McDonald 6'3  241   

https://sports.yahoo.com/mcdonald-2023-nfl-draft-profile-024156585.html

If he can get the pressure they need, its a good pick. We have not been able to get sacks when needed .  look at many if the gamnes last year. Our defense was hung out to dry.  Yea the offense did the D no favors, but they werent as dominant as many think. We still nned a LB and a safety.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Jets are getting hall, becton, AVT and mitchell back from injury and signed 2 FA wrs.  They traded for rodgers.  May have contribution from ruckert.  Offense is completely different. 

Lazard and hardman are total jags.  They were both average receivers with hof qbs throwing to them.

JSN has top 10 wr upside.  

Lazard and Hardman.  Good grief jet fans……

• Upvote 1