Jets Sign Ancient WR Randall Cobb

44 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

We haven’t had a 5th receiver this productive in …….  forever??

He still catches balls from Rodgers at a 70% clip…  Over the last 3 years, he’s been at 78, 73 and 70%.  Has been graded well by services such as PFF (look at Mim’s grades for comparison)

Knows the offense .. seems like a good locker room presence.

Just hope he doesn’t take reps or a roster spot from someone better.

As long as the money is light, this feels so right.

Wow so it's dawning on me that it might be Mimms who is on his way out.  I hated the pick since right after we drafted him I look at the film and he was very handsy or else he'd never get separation in college.  Sadly he never did seem to get any better here.  None the less with the new regime I was hoping for the best.  Sorry Minms.    

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Wow so it's dawning on me that it might be Mimms who is on his way out.  I hated the post since right after we drafted him I look at the film and he was very handsy or else he'd never get separation in college.  Sadly he never did seem to get any better here.  None the less with the new regime I was hoping for the best.  Sorry Minms.    

So funny .. I saw the same thing.  He struggled to get separation at Baylor.  That’s not a good indicator of future success at this level.  

To be fair to him, would like to see him get some slants, fades, back shoulders and jump balls deep.  He was criminally misused by our disaster of an OC.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Lith said:

Too bad we didn't draft Marvin Mims.  You might have still had a chance.

I was hoping! Lol. Dual Mims?! Hello!

But for real, I hope he gets a chance with Rodgers. Still feel he adds the jump ball, 50/50 ball aspect to the room that the others don’t. Should be easy yardage or an easy flag against the D. 

oh well ?

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

You could tell me they're signing Sterling Sharp to a 2 year deal and I'd still be smiling. We have the best QB any of us have ever seen on the Jets for the next couple years.  Sign Peter Dinklage at H-back for all I care. 

This would be awesome.  Even if the OL doesn't create a hole he could just run through their legs!

• Haha 1

Screech:   "How could you expect Rodgers to be up to his standard last year as all he had was bums to throw to!

also

Screech: "This is great we are signing all of Rodgers favs from last year!"

They should have just emailed cobb a couple of million dollars and told him to stay home and let rodgers they had done so.

Which young potentially promising slot guy gets cut after a great camp due to cobb?  Xavier Gipson perhaps?

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

Worst kept secret in the NFL.  I don't see this as a bad signing.  Rodgers is a "my guys" type QB and this guy can demonstrate how to be "his guy."  He played one year under Hackett and had 5 TDs on only 39 targets.  He's not a stud anymore, but he has been pretty efficient with around a 70% catch rate.   That is not bad when you consider he is getting 12-13 ypc.  I would be more worried about it if he were a big target hog, but I think he more than makes up for everything else with familiarity with Rodgers and the system and he is not a bad guy to have the young guys emulate.  I'd much rather they follow his example than OBJ.  Then again, Moore and Mims seem like they had already been training with OBJ in the offseason.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Hard to get too excited over a 33 year old WR, but obviously he is a guy Rodgers wanted and is comfortable with.

• Wilson
  • Davis
  • Cobb
  • Lazard
  • Hardman

Not a bad top 5.  Denzel Mims should be on alert -- either he does something spectacular this summer to either grab a roster spot or become trade bait (I assume he is worth nothing now), or he is a likely cut candidate in August.

Move Cobb to #5. Maybe even competing for #5. He won’t be ahead of Lazard, and almost certainly not Hardman. On GB last year, Lazard started 15 games and was targeted 100 times, Cobb started 3 and was targeted 50 times. Hardman was only beaten out for targets in KC by Hill and Kelce in 2021, and was on a similar trajectory before his groin/core/pelvis injury knocked him out for the year last season. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Within a year maybe two every one will be wondering how the hell we passed on jsn, flowers quentin johnson of dalton kincaid.

If the jets wanted mcdonald very badly fine they make the pick, i disagree with it.

If they had to avoid taking a slot wr becasue of cobb they are totally brain dead.

Ummm  do you really believe that they passed on a 1st rd. TE or JSN because of Cobb?   I think that's highly unlikely Beer.

It's Saleh taking advantage of a confused draft room and getting HIS favorite player remaining on the board.  The room may have been divided after Steelers took their guy and Robert made the push.  I have no doubt.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

6th guy is almost always someone who can contribute on specials. 

Often the # 5 guy can as well, but that wouldn't be necessary for us since Hardman will likely be the KR.  

Not sure if Cobb plays specials, but hardman does and mims did last year 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

He’ll make some clutch plays.  He also is likely to be hurt more than he plays.   And he takes up a roster spot that could have gone to a young talented WR who could help in a year or two.   That was the problem I had every year with keeping Cobb and Lewis around     Add to that Lazard who’s peaked as just a guy and that’s two roster spots that won’t be improving with time 

Some don’t get that championships are forged by the 5th WR spot.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Randall Cobb is an ancient 32 but played the last two years. Meanwhile people were crying that we didn’t give OBJ, who will turn 31 this season, more than $18M. Or trade assets and pay big for the soon to be 31 year old DeAndre Hopkins. 

I don’t know if this true or not, but he’s certainly had some success with Rodgers and would only be a very part time player here for a near minimum salary, I would guess. 

PREACH

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lupz27 said:

This is like Scotty McKnight all over again what a joke.

Dude is ancient and is only here to play Xbox with Aaron.

Aaron Rodgers and Randall Cobb will end hunger in the inner cities. How dare you?

• Haha 3

Again I’ll defer to Rodgers knowledge about ex teammates etc and if they can still play. I don’t think he doesn’t want to win and would ask the team to sign over the hill players. Look you have to give Rodgers some deference he’s a future HOF player and knows the game and the players. JD is smart to listen to him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Last year we were the longest shot to win the super bowl. 

This year we are 6th favorite. 

Keep crying about who we sign to be our 5th WR.....

Oh, 6th favorite, eh? Very niiiice. Good thing they gave up so much for their new savior and his band of merry men that put up 3 points against that longest shot last year. 

• More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

If mccagnan had done this you alll be flying the fire the gm banner 

If McCagnan built this current roster he’d still be here…. Although you could probably take McCagnan in a fight

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

There's no way in hell we are going into the season without Corey Davis unless we replace him with someone else (that's not Cobb)

Yes. How will we ever replace his average of 33 catches a year for 10.5 million? That’s like 300K per catch. And over 3 million per touchdown. Just can’t go into the season without THAT guy. (Note - sarcasm)

1 hour ago, slats said:

Not dollar for dollar, that’s for sure. And you’re giving up picks, too? Hopkins is under contract for $19M in salary this season. I really would’ve liked Hopkins back when he was traded to Arizona. If he had put up similar numbers here, I’d’ve been disappointed. 

It would cost probably a 5th or 6th rounder to trade for Hopkins - not "picks". We're paying over $10 million to Corey Davis who can be cut or traded.

Hopkins is a far better player than Davis at 31 years old, let alone Cobb who will be as useful as a turd. 

This is a garbage signing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Randall Cobb is an ancient 32 but played the last two years. Meanwhile people were crying that we didn’t give OBJ, who will turn 31 this season, more than $18M. Or trade assets and pay big for the soon to be 31 year old DeAndre Hopkins. 

I don’t know if this true or not, but he’s certainly had some success with Rodgers and would only be a very part time player here for a near minimum salary, I would guess. 

A depth WR who had 34 receptions for 417 yards last season with Rodgers and who has a long history with Rodgers and who has experience returning punts. Sounds like an ideal 1 year contract. Almost too good to be true.

• Upvote 1