Jets Sign Ancient WR Randall Cobb

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I was hoping! Lol. Dual Mims?! Hello!

But for real, I hope he gets a chance with Rodgers. Still feel he adds the jump ball, 50/50 ball aspect to the room that the others don’t. Should be easy yardage or an easy flag against the D. 

oh well ?

So was I.  I was a big Mims fan when we drafted him, and I was also hoping he would finally show something with Rodgers, but that dream is dying.  You don't carry a 6th WR who can't play specials.  Now, maybe if he impresses in camp with Rodgers, he makes a claim for a roster spot and we look to move Davis, but I am not holding out any hope.

In my mind, his roster spot is gone and he will have to find a way to win it back.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It would cost probably a 5th or 6th rounder to trade for Hopkins - not "picks". We're paying over $10 million to Corey Davis who can be cut or traded.

Hopkins is a far better player than Davis at 31 years old, let alone Cobb who will be as useful as a turd. 

This is a garbage signing.

I’d love if my turds caught 62 out of 85 passes for 800 yards and 2 TDs over the last 2 years.

Heck, maybe I can get lucky and get one who can run a 4.4 w/ a 40 vertical.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Davis could at least get something in a trade, but for a team in win now mode, I prefer we keep him.  Having 5 experienced WRs is valuable, especially as someone is bound to get hurt.  Davis, Hardman and Cobb all missed time last season.

I think you keep Davis, he's good when healthy, and gives good depth.

You let him go after the season, and hope he brings in a 3rd or 4th as a comp pick.

• Upvote 2

I don't see the big issue with signing Cobb to be a camp body and mentor in camp.  He's knows the offense, he has played with Rodgers and under Hackett for years, and he could be an asset in bringing the younger players up to speed.

I truly hope that's what this signing is all about.  I hope he got vet minimum or close to it.  Ideally, some of the younger guys step up and render Cobb expendable prior to the season starting.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

He's not Garrett Wilson. Corey Davis averaged 41 yards a game last season, 55 the year before and 70 the year before with a competent QB. Cobb averaged 32 yards a game with Aaron Rodgers. He's not going to get dumped for Cobb.

No one said he would get dumped for Cobb. He’s going to get dumped for being overpaid and not good at his job. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I think you keep Davis, he's good when healthy, and gives good depth.

You let him go after the season, and hope he brings in a 3rd or 4th as a comp pick.

I agree -- I don't think he gets us a 3 or 4 as a comp pick, but he should be able to net us something.  Problem is he has not been healthy, which is why depth is needed.  If our top 4 remain healthy all season, then a crowded WR room is a good problem to have.  But someone is bound to miss time at some point.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Probably why we didnt take JSN.  Huge mistake.  Cobb is totally washed up.

What have you done Joe Douglas?  What have you done??

We have young WRs in Wilson, Lazard, etc. It helps to always have one with not only more experience, but more experience with winning, and Cobb has that. Many players of that caliber can also provide more on the field as far as plays then you may think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

Oh, 6th favorite, eh? Very niiiice. Good thing they gave up so much for their new savior and his band of merry men that put up 3 points against that longest shot last year. 

Josh Allen in week 9 against the jets completed just 52pct of his passes with 2ints and a 0 TDs. Omg Josh Allen is terrible also. 

• Haha 1

No one said that he was. But someone is going to go and Davis makes the most sense. It is either him or Mims and one makes a ton of money he isn’t earning. 
One can actually catch a football and not false start twice a game.

Within a year maybe two every one will be wondering how the hell we passed on jsn, flowers quentin johnson of dalton kincaid.
If the jets wanted mcdonald very badly fine they make the pick, i disagree with it.
If they had to avoid taking a slot wr becasue of cobb they are totally brain dead.
What else do you see?7bc3dd7453bbef4dc5d895a1ed78f8ad.jpg
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Cobb and Davis will have different roles.  Cobb is not a Davis replacement.  In other words, if Davis is cut, it won't be because Cobb is on the roster.  It will be to save about $9 M.  I guess the hope there would be that Mims will replace Davis. Ugh.  Cobb doesn't fill that role. 

Cobb is here to take the JSN role, but if I remember the board’s logic we didn’t need JSN because we have Hardman.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Ghost said:

Cobb is here to take the JSN role, but if I remember the board’s logic we didn’t need JSN because we have Hardman.

There is no such thing as the "JSN" role.  We'll see how the Seahawks play him. He could be Tyler Lockett's eventual replacement there.  He'll start off mostly, if not all, in the slot.  JD wasn't drafting him with or without Cobb.  Jets fans need to get over JSN.  He was never in the plans. 

• Upvote 4

https://www.worldgreynews.com/details/276058/jets-sign-former-packers-wr

Wed, 03 May 2023

New York Jets Sign Former Packers WR Donald Driver Out of Retirement to Reunite with Aaron Rodgers

The New York Jets have made headlines by signing former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver out of retirement.

The move is seen as a bold strategy to bring back the successful chemistry between Driver and newly acquired Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers. The two players were once a dynamic duo in Green Bay, and the Jets hope to replicate that success in the upcoming season.

Donald Driver, a seventh-round pick in the 1999 NFL Draft, played his entire 14-year career with the Green Bay Packers. Over his career, Driver accumulated 743 receptions, 10,137 receiving yards, and 61 touchdowns. He was selected to the Pro Bowl four times (2002, 2006, 2007, 2010) and played a pivotal role in the Packers' Super Bowl XLV victory in 2011. Driver retired in 2013 as the Packers' all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards.

Since retirement, Driver has led an adventurous and unconventional life. He took up professional trampoline dodgeball, quickly becoming a dominant player and leading his team, the "Bouncing Brawlers," to multiple championships. Driver's agility and hand-eye coordination, honed during his years in the NFL, proved invaluable in his new sport.

Driver also found success as an expert in competitive cheese rolling, a high-speed, adrenaline-pumping activity where participants chase a large wheel of cheese down a steep hill. His speed and balance from his football days helped him excel in the sport, earning him a reputation as a formidable cheese-chaser in the international cheese rolling community. Additionally, Driver dabbled in extreme sandcastle building, designing intricate and massive sand sculptures that wowed spectators and fellow competitors alike.

The Jets' decision to sign Driver out of retirement has raised eyebrows, as the former wide receiver will turn 48 this year. However, team management believes that Driver's incredible post-retirement activities have kept him in peak physical condition. They are optimistic that his experience, knowledge of the game, and chemistry with Aaron Rodgers will make a significant impact on the field.

The Jets' decision to sign Driver out of retirement has raised eyebrows, as the former wide receiver will turn 48 this year. However, team management believes that Driver's incredible post-retirement activities have kept him in peak physical condition. They are optimistic that his experience, knowledge of the game, and chemistry with Aaron Rodgers will make a significant impact on the field.

As the Jets prepare for the upcoming season, fans eagerly await the return of the Rodgers-Driver connection. With Donald Driver's storied career and unique post-retirement exploits, this unexpected signing has the potential to create an unforgettable chapter in New York Jets history.

• Haha 1

Leave it to Jets fans to lose their minds over the depth signing of a 5th/6th WR that their franchise QB likes.

Cobb is probably earning the minimum, and he can still contribute in a limited role.

Over his last 2 seasons in Green Bay with Rodgers, he caught a total of 62 passes for a little under 800 yards with 6 TDs.

I'll happily take a backup slot guy the QB is comfortable with for cheap, averaging 31 receptions, 400 yards and 3 TDs a season.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Leave it to Jets fans to lose their minds over the depth signing of a 5th/6th WR that their franchise QB likes.

Cobb is probably earning the minimum, and he can still contribute in a limited role.

Over his last 2 seasons in Green Bay with Rodgers, he caught a total of 62 passes for a little under 800 yards with 6 TDs.

I'll happily take a backup slot guy the QB is comfortable with for cheap, averaging 31 receptions, 400 yards and 3 TDs a season.

But, but Cobb is the reason the Jets didn't draft a  WR or TE at 15!  Or so I've heard.  :mrgreen:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2