Good Aaron Rodgers Presser: Merged

KRL

Anyone who’s has a boss that sucked can kinda sympathize with Rodgers’ grievances toward the Packers. It’s always a tough dynamic when a new, young coach comes into the locker room and has to win a dick-measuring contest with an aging superstar. It’s all good right now because the Jets org is wisely giving Rodgers the run of the house, but there’s going to come a time when Saleh or Hackett has to check Rodgers and it’ll be a mess. One of Rodgers’ complaints about LaFleur was that he wasn’t exerting enough discipline over the younger players when they stepped out of line. Is Saleh or Hackett doing that now? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

I thought it was excellent. Biggest surprise for me in all of this is just how much I find myself liking Rodgers the person.

Agree, and I used to think he was a pr!ck - especially after the "immunized" thing (forget where you were on the issue, just the whole attempt at intentionally misleading) - but dude has clearly been on his best behavior since day 1 here.

The pessimist Jets fan in me says "well, let's see how it is after we lose two-in-a-row".

But like, even someone like Becton has bought-in. 

That whole part of this presser about "feeling left out" seems like it wasn't just about glossing over Becton's issue with the Jets organization, but actually addressing it head-on with some compassion and without throwing the organization under the bus.

Hell, I've been in the anti-Becky camp for a while now but even I felt bad for the big fella after that. And of course, if Becton continues to play like he did the last two weeks, this year could really be something special.

Just wild. Last year around this time I was all "Will Zach take a year 2 leap? Well if he plays like that Tampa game... blah blah". 

Now I'm actually genuinely excited and I don't really feel like I have to convince myself to be?

What is this feeling?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone who’s has a boss that sucked can kinda sympathize with Rodgers’ grievances toward the Packers. It’s always a tough dynamic when a new, young coach comes into the locker room and has to win a dick-measuring contest with an aging superstar. It’s all good right now because the Jets org is wisely giving Rodgers the run of the house, but there’s going to come a time when Saleh or Hackett has to check Rodgers and it’ll be a mess. One of Rodgers’ complaints about LaFleur was that he wasn’t exerting enough discipline over the younger players when they stepped out of line. Is Saleh or Hackett doing that now? 

At least judging by the offensive line talk from HK, it seems like the coaching staff does hold players accountable.

But I can't help but think this is the honeymoon phase wherein all the players have bought-in. 

If it goes south in the way you describe, it will likely be around the 1/3 mark of the season with that brutal opening of the schedule.

I feel like the entire fate of this season is whether or not AVT and Becky can stay healthy enough to blow open holes for Dalvin and Breece for the first 8 games and let Rodgers live off play-action.

It's a bit scary considering Becky's injury history, but like goddam, I can't deny we have the potential to actually weather that part of the schedule with a two-headed monster rushing attack and a great defense.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I feel like the entire fate of this season is whether or not AVT and Becky can stay healthy enough to blow open holes for Dalvin and Breece for the first 8 games and let Rodgers live off play-action.

I took away the same impression from Rodgers. He was really talking up Breece Hall and Dalvin Cook. It left me with the impresion Rodgers is counting on Chip Blocks and Caught Balls from those 2 dudes.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

All good points. Definitely in the honeymoon phase. The challenges will come. 
If I disagree at all, it is that I get the sense you think disruption is inevitable. But while likely, Jets organization is doing fairly well these days. 
So I agree with you but with a bit more optimism. 

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Always seemed like a stuck up douche from afar, and here he is now, coming across as impossibly nice, friendly, cool, etc. Also more than possible he’s mellowed out as he’s gotten older, realizes these are the last years he’s got at using his singular skill, and is determined to enjoy it.

But yeah in a really short span of time he’s become an easy favorite, even aside from his ability on the field. 

I get your sentiment; I always found him to be a bit.....aloof? Maybe a bit smarmy? 

We grow, or we stagnate. Hopefully he's doing the former for real.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Interesting he was talking about MB wanting respect and felt loved - AR could have been taking about his time in Green Bay as well

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

I agree. I never liked him from afar, thought he was a diva, a little flaky, and complained too much about Packers management. Hearing his interviews regularly here and watching him on HK and1JD has changed my opinion. He seems genuine, likable, and a really good mentor for his younger teammates. He’s made an effort to get to know everyone from the rookies to the equipment staff, and seems really grateful to be a Jet. Having someone of his stature in the league wanting to be a Jet is something I’m not used to. Hopefully it all translates to success on the field and I can’t wait for the Buffalo game 

It’s so clear we haven’t had a qb with his leadership in a long time. 

Funny how it is now evident by many of us here how skewed by the media he was portrayed when he's actually a very confident, super smart, but funny guy, that his team mates love being around and respect him enough to study extra hard in case he quizzes them, which he says he often does. Thankfully he just let his detractors comments roll right off his back and I feel he's somehow owed an apology which he'll never receive by those who lambasted him over the years.

I'm very optimistic of where he's taking us and it was interesting to hear him say that coaching in the NFL is not on the horizon once he retires. I'm thankful he's getting that out of his system now which is benefiting the entire team.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetworks said:

I thought it was excellent. Biggest surprise for me in all of this is just how much I find myself liking Rodgers the person.

I’ve mentioned it before and people joke about his darkness retreat. But after listening to him discuss the retreat on the March 1st Aubrey Marcus podcast, I really think he’s truly at peace with who he is. He mentioned that he’s fine now when people say he’s just a football player because HE knows that he is more than that. So let people say whatever they want. He also realized just how much he still loves football and loves the competition.  

BTW. There is also this conversation with Aubrey on YouTube. 

• Upvote 4

I couldnt be more impressed with what he said about Becton. 

I know half the board will probably say we are babying him and I have made multiple posts about how important it is for Becton to toughen up and be more dedicated but it can also be true that Becton needs support and Rogers is going out of his way to give that to him.   Rogers leading the way for the team "to make sure Becont knows hes part of this thing" is a great  example of his leadership.

Rogers said that he is going to be having lunch with him once a week and Becton commented how surreal it is to be hanging out with Rogers.   If we somehow got a healthy Becton on the right side - him and AVT could be the best right side in the league.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Going to be an interesting dynamic for sure.  He’s a top 10 all time QB, it’s hard to even put that in perspective - in the history of the NFL he’s one of the best ever at his position - and he was disrespected to no end by the packers.   When they are 1-2 players away from another Super Bowl they drafted a qb in rd 1.   Now he’s got a defensive HC and his bff is OC so he can’t do anything but he bought in.   It’s his hand picked OC and AR basically runs the show.   He’s arguably as good or better than manning but he’s never gotten the manning treatment and which he’s now getting for the first time.   It will definitely be interesting to see what happens when he disagrees with ‘Robert’ but he has no one to blame so I think he’s all in.  

to me the big question is what happens when the team wants to run the ball and AR wants to throw?  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How quickly you forgot one Elijah Moore, Tom.  Discipline delivered in droves when Saleh and JD bitch-slapped and booted him off the team.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

How quickly you forgot one Elijah Moore, Tom.  Discipline delivered in droves when Saleh and JD bitch-slapped and booted him off the team.  

Elijah Moores issue was Main character syndrome…he wanted to be “The Guy” the emergence of GW wouldn’t make that possible..so he forced his way off the team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I've gotten the feel from the last 2 episodes of HK's that Saleh is exerting more control and putting everyone on notice on the team as a whole as compared to episode 1 where he looked like a Rodgers cheerleader. He's now called out the O a few times  and then tonight with his list of grading effort from the bottom Survivors to the top Commanders and allowing them to decide where they see themselves. Only saw him tell Q that he's a Commander and it's why he makes the big money. Saleh's coaching style puts a lot of trust in the players policing themselves and Rodgers appears to relish and respect that responsibility. I highly doubt there will be a problem between them.

On that note I found it interesting  tonight  hearing Cobb say, to para phrase him, that I promise you that there will come a point where Rodgers is going to snap and that he will freeze out players out from getting the ball if they're not up to snuff. I love that high expectations are being set and that there will be consequences and no more coddling or not addressing lack of effort. Which leads into what I think Rodgers masterfully conveyed to Becton in his lunch dates for Mehki to suddenly begin pancaking people.

• Upvote 1

I couldn’t stand GB Rodgers, but I’ve come to realize it was the BS media narrative about Rodgers that added to my disdain. This dude can’t be the same dude they wanted us to believe was some all world arsehole

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Vudu said:

I couldn’t stand GB Rodgers, but I’ve come to realize it was the BS media narrative about Rodgers that added to my disdain. This dude can’t be the same dude they wanted us to believe was some all world arsehole

There's a moral there. Dude towers over most of them

I don’t watch hard knocks because it is too much of a production and no a real indication of anything except what the show wants people to see.  But Rodgers has certainly come across as a guy comfortable in his own skin and will to mentor.  When has a top qb ever taken time to help the hare apparent ( potential)?  It can be understated how having a qb of Rodgers stature affects all of the players.  They listen to him which is more than they did for just about any jet qb over the past 20 seasons. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens when guys goof up.  Cobb says he’s not afraid to freeze out players who make mistakes.  Probably a very good reason Mims and Moore are no longer on the team.

• Upvote 1