Saleh's best traits?

I've seen a surprising number of fans get triggered over some of the criticism of Saleh lately.  I was a Saleh guy until I found out he was spending time during the week to work on strengthening his friendship with Joe Beningo.  Should've fired him that day.

So for those still on board with the coach, what thing (or things) do you like most about Saleh?

Going to kick around answers from here and X on the pod this week.

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I've seen a surprising number of fans get triggered over some of the criticism of Saleh lately.  I was a Saleh guy until I found out he was spending time during the week to work on strengthening his friendship with Joe Beningo.  Should've fired him that day.

So for those still on board with the coach, what thing (or things) do you like most about Saleh?

He has the ability to get you to start an asinine thread.  

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

As much as we all kill the guy (myself included) he's gotten a pretty raw deal. He's had to work with pure garbage at the QB position. The fact that he's won 14 games in the last two years despite such awful QB play is kind of amazing.

If the plan was to return the same offense but with a healthy AR8 and a different backup QB then we'd be able to determine that.  But the fact that we're still going to overhaul 3/5 of our OL and add a WR2 and probably WR3 is a pretty good sign that maybe it wasn't ZW's fault after all (at least last year).  

Is he really even a "great" defensive coach? When has a defense of his ever really stepped up and been the reason the Jets have won a big game? Guess we'll never know, because the Jets don't play in big games. It's one thing to put up solid defenses in the regular season. It's a whole different thing proving your system works against elite teams in a playoff game. 

I don't want to hear about the QB. He and his staff (staffs now actually) have done nothing to prove they are capable of identifying and developing QB talent. They have zero clue when it comes to the most important position on the field.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The best trait I've seen of this team in his tenure is they often don't quit even when playing badly.

There's been quite a few examples of us winning games we had no business winning because our team stuck around the whole time and stole it in the fourth.

* doesn't include the 30-0 loss to Miami that eliminated us from post-season contention (even though we still had a long shot dream of AR8 coming back).

• Haha 1

He lacks maturity and wants too much to be liked.  His start as a HC needed to be with a team with a lot of existing support and structure - maybe like the Steelers or 49ers.  Not the sh!t show that is Woody's NY Jets.  

In a way Zach was the perfect QB for him.  Both exposed one another...

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

Supposedly wanted nothing to do with drafting Zach. If true, that trumps everything.

Its hard to blame Saleh for this mess 

Most of the team's problems are because of decisions made above his pay grade 

Like this nate Hackett thing for example. Does anyone really believe that was salehs decision? 

Saleh has become a scapegoat for JD and woody meddling 

Just to add one of the positive traits is that the defense never gave up on the offense. He keeps the locker room together, other teams give up we've seen it in Jets seasons past 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

* doesn't include the 30-0 loss to Miami that eliminated us from post-season contention (even though we still had a longshot dream of AR8 coming back).

The Jets had 103 total yards that day 

The Good:

• Can coordinate a good defense
  • Can identify defensive talent
  • Can work well with veteran defensive players
  • Can develop young inexperienced defensive players

The Bad:

• Might have to open up a whole new forum to list everything as each flaw is so long, numerous, and detailed that each one would require their own respective threads 
  • Easier to say that he is not a good head coach at all

If the plan was to return the same offense but with a healthy AR8 and a different backup QB then we'd be able to determine that.  But the fact that we're still going to overhaul 3/5 of our OL and add a WR2 and probably WR3 is a pretty good sign that maybe it wasn't ZW's fault after all (at least last year).  
The goal is to win a championship so you try to upgrade as many positions as possible. The goal isn't to prove how bad Wilson was but even if it was we all have a really good idea of how sh*tty he was, with you being the exception.

As far as Saleh goes, it's hard to get on him for not turning a lump of white calcified dog sh*t into a serviceable QB. He's not a miracle worker.

Is he really even a "great" defensive coach? When has a defense of his ever really stepped up and been the reason the Jets have won a big game? Guess we'll never know, because the Jets don't play in big games. It's one thing to put up solid defenses in the regular season. It's a whole different thing proving your system works against elite teams in a playoff game. 
I don't want to hear about the QB. He and his staff (staffs now actually) have done nothing to prove they are capable of identifying and developing QB talent. They have zero clue when it comes to the most important position on the field.
Philly. The defense definitely won that game.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I see almost no positives. What he does have is corporate political savvy and unfortunately we have an owner that gets sucked in by that.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

The goal is to win a championship so you try to upgrade as many positions as possible. The goal isn't to prove how bad Wilson was but even if it was we all have a really good idea of how sh*tty he was, with you being the exception.

As far as Saleh goes, it's hard to get on him for not turning a lump of white calcified dog sh*t into a serviceable QB. He's not a miracle worker.

He's barely even a worker.

22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I've been souring on him but I feel like his positive attributes are generally pretty clear:

• Great defensive coach
  • Had the right idea about what to do scheme wise on both offense and defense. Not an out of touch dinosaur.
  • Charismatic leader who the players seem to like and respect

That said it certainly seems as though his leadership behind the scenes has been a deteriorating scattershot mess and he's kind of lost a lot of folks in the building. My general defense of him is largely just based on the fact that the key decisions that have doomed this offense weren't his and if we hadn't screwed them up "his rebuild" likely would have worked... But at this point it doesn't really matter. This iteration isn't likely to work unless Rodgers shows up and plays at an elite level.

Agree with this.

I'm getting tired of hiring defensive coordinators, but also tired of blaming said defensive coaches for massive busts at quarterback, a terrible offensive line and a bad owner.

Wilson, then the Rodgers injury, JD completely whiffing on offensive lineman... I just don't see how many other coaches would've had success here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I see almost no positives. What he does have is corporate political savvy and unfortunately we have an owner that gets sucked in by that.

Agreed.  He's basically a decent DC who is masquerading as a HC.  He's thrown around some catchy slogans to try to try to win over ownership and the fanbase and hopefully parlay it all into a 2nd contract.

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Agree with this.

I'm getting tired of hiring defensive coordinators, but also tired of blaming said defensive coaches for massive busts at quarterback, a terrible offensive line and a bad owner.

Wilson, then the Rodgers injury, JD completely whiffing on offensive lineman... I just don't see how many other coaches would've had success here. 

Don't leave out the WRs, btw.  Reminder that our WR2 last year was a punt returner.

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean does he get credit for making our defense elite? Other than that not much 

He does?  How did he do with our defense when we didn't have stars (or at least high level talent) all over the place?  I recall the Patriots beating us 54-13 with Mac Jones as their QB.