FA Checklist - JD is on it

Pretty much. He’s going through a pretty obvious checklist and not overthinking it.

WR2 and 2 additional starters on the OL are now the key missing pieces.

I would like him to also bring back Ashtyn Davis, Bryce Hall, Solomon Thomas, and Morestead. Morestead for obvious reasons. The other three for depth. We have so many holes that it would be nice to go into the draft and focus on just a few units (OL, WR and and DL).

• Upvote 2

The safety market is quite well stocked, so playing the waiting game here will be fine. No need to overpay or panic sign someone just to tick it off the list. Supply >>> Demand.

• Upvote 1

The higher rated free agent tackles haven’t signed anywhere yet.  Onewu is still available as are Trent brown and Tyron smith.  And then becton is still there.  My guess is most of these guys will be inked by tomorrow.  Douglas gets one and then has some flexibility in the draft.  There maybe three good tackles available at ten so it’s possible the jets move back a couple of places.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

The higher rated free agent tackles haven’t signed anywhere yet.  Onewu is still available as are Trent brown and Tyron smith.  And then becton is still there.  My guess is most of these guys will be inked by tomorrow.  Douglas gets one and then has some flexibility in the draft.  There maybe three good tackles available at ten so it’s possible the jets move back a couple of places.

Onwenu signed back with NE. 3 years 57m, something along those lines.

• Upvote 2

One thing to remember is that we do have 2 raw prospects in the WR room in Charles and Brownlee that never got a chance to play with an established QB as of yet. Both these guys are red zone targets that have been in our system a few years. Am really excited to see how they play with Rodgers at QB. Also, there are a number of talented WR’s we could grab at 3/4 in the draft. Ricky Piersall intrigues me. Speedy, great hands. Also, I could see Lazard at least contributing with Rodgers back. They had good chemistry together. Hence, the millions we signed him for. On the OL front, it will be interesting to see what FA we sign - does JD go the route he went with Simpson who is younger and has had a healthier career thus far or an aged vet like he has in the past like Tyron Smith. LT looms as the most important. At 10, JD has a number of good options to get a RT and plug him in. He can stay put and take Fuchs/Fashanu/Latham or trade back a bit as well and go with Mims or Guyton. So far, so good. Simpson is an upgrade on Laken who was just terrible. So glad they didn’t stay put. Run game will improve behind the middle of that line now. 

35 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Pretty much. He’s going through a pretty obvious checklist and not overthinking it.

WR2 and 2 additional starters on the OL are now the key missing pieces.

I would like him to also bring back Ashtyn Davis, Bryce Hall, Solomon Thomas, and Morestead. Morestead for obvious reasons. The other three for depth. We have so many wholes that it would be nice to go into the draft and focus on just a few units (OL, WR and and DL).

Did you mean holes or wholes? Big difference. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Onewu resigned. Tyron Smith is older and missed a lot of games over last couple years due to injuries. Is he the second coming of Duane Brown? Haven’t we had enough of that? Who exactly is out there that can play at a high level who is worth paying and not applying for social security? Cam Robinson seems the logical choice and doesn’t seem to factor in Jags plans. 

46 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Coming into FA this season there were some critical FA's JD had to bring in to address major holes on this team - as well as existing FA that needed to be brought back. JMHO. But looks like JD is doing a solid job so far of addressing those. 

*A couple of disclaimers. 1. The Jets have made it clear they like AVT at G, so a RT becomes a need in FA. 2. The Jets made it clear they were not going to bring back Huff. So I don't view his departure as a failure. It's time for McDonald to grow into that role. 

Positions to acquire in FA: 

LT: ???

G: John Simpson

RT: ???

WR2: ???

DT2: Kinlaw

QB2: T.Taylor

CB: Oliver

What remains is a LT, a RT and a WR2. What I like is that JD has mostly had lost cost signings (Simpson was not cheap), which suggests to me that they are not done spending in FA and have set aside some space for a quality LT and/or WR2. My issue is that the BIGGEST need by far was not QB2, not G, not DT2. It was LT!

However, I do think JD seem to be approaching this correctly as the draft will be loaded with OT and WR talent. Even if they don't get two stud OTs and a WR2 in FA, they can definitely, at the very least, draft a plug and play RT or WR at 10. Oliver looks like a good signing as he is a cheaper special teams version of Hardee. Now he's nowhere near as good as Hardee on specials. But cheaper and with the emergence of Charles allows for this to be a prudent move. All four guys they signed seem like solid fits for what the Jets are are trying to do. 

Re-signing:

K: Greg the Leg

S: Chuck Clark

TE: Yaboah

I wish JD had done more as far as bringing back current Jet FAs. I think we will see more happen in the coming days on this front. However, I would have loved to see him take care of some depth pieces (and our punter) by now- in particular Ash Davis, Solomon Thomas, Morstead, Hanson and Bryce Hall... 

Many Jet have have predicted utter failure for JD in this year's FA, and it's not over. What he has done so far is not nearly enough. If this is the bulk of it, it WILL be a failure. But I think he is making the right moves so far. We won't know until the games are played. 

What are everyone's thoughts on JDs progress so far? I know a lot of people are ready to call this a offseason a bust. I'm not. Let's see how this thing plays out. We need a LT. That will change the whole dynamics of FA, because, as I said, we can get a plug and play RT and/or WR2 in the draft. 

Not much to be found in FA for LT.  Older, injury prone players for the most part.  JD should come away with one of the LT's as a potential starter or depth piece, but none of them that I see can be relied on.  They have to look to the draft to fill a starting OT role.  Perhaps the LT from the draft and use AVT on the right side.  

I REALLY hope Morstead gets resigned.  LOTS of hidden yardage there.  

Not so worried about WR.  Everyone will be surprised at how much better what they already have will produce once Rodgers is on the job.

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I REALLY hope Morstead gets resigned.  LOTS of hidden yardage there.  

Not sure what the holdup is there.

Seems like a no-brainer to bring him back.

He was all-world last season.  I doubt his agent is asking for insane money.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

One thing to remember is that we do have 2 raw prospects in the WR room in Charles and Brownlee that never got a chance to play with an established QB as of yet. Both these guys are red zone targets that have been in our system a few years. Am really excited to see how they play with Rodgers at QB. Also, there are a number of talented WR’s we could grab at 3/4 in the draft. Ricky Piersall intrigues me. Speedy, great hands. Also, I could see Lazard at least contributing with Rodgers back. They had good chemistry together. Hence, the millions we signed him for. On the OL front, it will be interesting to see what FA we sign - does JD go the route he went with Simpson who is younger and has had a healthier career thus far or an aged vet like he has in the past like Tyron Smith. LT looms as the most important. At 10, JD has a number of good options to get a RT and plug him in. He can stay put and take Fuchs/Fashanu/Latham or trade back a bit as well and go with Mims or Guyton. So far, so good. Simpson is an upgrade on Laken who was just terrible. So glad they didn’t stay put. Run game will improve behind the middle of that line now. 

sorry but they are not the answer

joe sucks at judging wrs-the only hit was a no brainer my little nephew could have picked-in Wilson

Joe brought us Perriman, C Davis, Lazzard, Cobb, Hardman Berrios....

• Post of the Week 1

Coming into FA this season there were some critical FA's JD had to bring in to address major holes on this team - as well as existing FA that needed to be brought back. JMHO. But looks like JD is doing a solid job so far of addressing those. 
*A couple of disclaimers. 1. The Jets have made it clear they like AVT at G, so a RT becomes a need in FA. 2. The Jets made it clear they were not going to bring back Huff. So I don't view his departure as a failure. It's time for McDonald to grow into that role. 
Positions to acquire in FA: 
LT: ???
G: John Simpson
RT: ???
WR2: ???
DT2: Kinlaw
QB2: T.Taylor
CB: Oliver
What remains is a LT, a RT and a WR2. What I like is that JD has mostly had lost cost signings (Simpson was not cheap), which suggests to me that they are not done spending in FA and have set aside some space for a quality LT and/or WR2. My issue is that the BIGGEST need by far was not QB2, not G, not DT2. It was LT!
However, I do think JD seem to be approaching this correctly as the draft will be loaded with OT and WR talent. Even if they don't get two stud OTs and a WR2 in FA, they can definitely, at the very least, draft a plug and play RT or WR at 10. Oliver looks like a good signing as he is a cheaper special teams version of Hardee. Now he's nowhere near as good as Hardee on specials. But cheaper and with the emergence of Charles allows for this to be a prudent move. All four guys they signed seem like solid fits for what the Jets are are trying to do. 
Re-signing:
K: Greg the Leg
S: Chuck Clark
TE: Yaboah
I wish JD had done more as far as bringing back current Jet FAs. I think we will see more happen in the coming days on this front. However, I would have loved to see him take care of some depth pieces (and our punter) by now- in particular Ash Davis, Solomon Thomas, Morstead, Hanson and Bryce Hall... 
Many Jet have have predicted utter failure for JD in this year's FA, and it's not over. What he has done so far is not nearly enough. If this is the bulk of it, it WILL be a failure. But I think he is making the right moves so far. We won't know until the games are played. 
What are everyone's thoughts on JDs progress so far? I know a lot of people are ready to call this a offseason a bust. I'm not. Let's see how this thing plays out. We need a LT. That will change the whole dynamics of FA, because, as I said, we can get a plug and play RT and/or WR2 in the draft. 

I apologize if this was addressed already , but the jetx article on him stated , in what seemed like a non-judgmental way, that he allowed 46 receptions on 52 targets ?! Now if that’s true the nfl should force the jets to be the first team to have to label a player on the official roster as nothing else but a ST player . I played a little after high school, im 34 and haven’t worked out in 6+ years and I can line up against half the wrs in the nfl and finish with a stat line of 46 receptions allowed on 52 attempts … and not because I still got it , but because there’s bound to be a couple of drops passes , poorly run routes and poorly thrown balls … this post is mostly a joke idc much about our potential cut cb 5 but if 46/52 is accurate it might be the most shocking stat I’ve ever seen for any position in my life . I can’t even fake any kind of enthusiasm about that statline and he’d have to be the new Matt Slater to warrant a roster spot in any capacity

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Nice job OP. I think you're analysis is solid.

If he passes his physical, I think Bahktiari is headed our way and that would be fine with me.

I would not be disappointed to see JD make a real run at Tee Higgins. He would be expensive in $ and capital but he could be a real game changer for us. Not JDs style, but he's swung hard at proven vet WRs in the past and Higgins is top tier. Way better choice than Ridley imo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Onewu resigned. Tyron Smith is older and missed a lot of games over last couple years due to injuries. Is he the second coming of Duane Brown? Haven’t we had enough of that? Who exactly is out there that can play at a high level who is worth paying and not applying for social security? Cam Robinson seems the logical choice and doesn’t seem to factor in Jags plans. 

I get the injury and age issues but these guys are all way younger than brown and have played well at their positions.  I believe they need to come out of free agency with at least one tackle.  Maybe they’ll find another under the radar guy like Simpson.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

You expect stubborn JD to finally admit his failures and change way he thinks ? Simpson signing highlights EXACTLY what he’s done his ENTIRE time as Jets gm. Refuse to sign the top guys who want the most. Instead sign a bunch of jags for lot less, and somehow think can turn water into wine with them. Obviously his thinking has failed miserably, but hey, at least he is being consistent ha.

A good start.  I know. everyone wants stars, but that is not happening this year.  Simpson doesn't allow sacks.  Kinlaw may be a nice plug in at DT.  We have a legit backup QB.  We improved the CB, with Oliver and the safety spot with the return of Clark.  Whitehead allowed the most touchdowns of any safety in the league and was a lousy tackler.

If Corey Davis comes back, that would relieve the WR2 issue.  Then add a solid WR in round 3 or 4.  There are several slotted there.

The elephant in the room is OT.  They MUST get one starter in free agency.  They cannot go into the season with two rookie OT's.   They stated Vera Tucker will be at guard.  He, Tippman and Simpson should be fine in the middle.  There is no answer on the current roster.   The current FA crop is full over broken down vets and mediocre players looking for top money.  How about Baktiari and Fant.  Both will come cheap and should guarantee one healthy one.   Then draft a tackle.  This is not an expensive direction to take and gives us 3 starting quality tackles.  

By taking this direction, they should get a nice comp pick for losing Huff in 2025.  The cap will get ugly.  They will need those assets.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You expect stubborn JD to finally admit his failures and change way he thinks ? Simpson signing highlights EXACTLY what he’s done his ENTIRE time as Jets gm. Refuse to sign the top guys who want the most. Instead sign a bunch of jags for lot less, and somehow think can turn water into wine with them. Obviously his thinking has failed miserably, but hey, at least he is being consistent ha.

I don’t know about that.  He did pretty well bringing in fant and he also did okay bringing in Moses.  Both of those guys are still playing effectively for the teams they went to.  And yes he missed on Khalil, brown, van roten, Lewis.  The thing is none of those guys are much better than Bahktiari when he’s healthy.  If Bakhtiari passes his physical then is he the guy?  I can’t blame Douglas for staying away from the top names.  The position is so important that their current teams should’ve re-signed them already.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Death2NE said:

I apologize if this was addressed already , but the jetx article on him stated , in what seemed like a non-judgmental way, that he allowed 46 receptions on 52 targets ?! Now if that’s true the nfl should force the jets to be the first team to have to label a player on the official roster as nothing else but a ST player . I played a little after high school, im 34 and haven’t worked out in 6+ years and I can line up against half the wrs in the nfl and finish with a stat line of 46 receptions allowed on 52 attempts … and not because I still got it , but because there’s bound to be a couple of drops passes , poorly run routes and poorly thrown balls … this post is mostly a joke idc much about our potential cut cb 5 but if 46/52 is accurate it might be the most shocking stat I’ve ever seen for any position in my life . I can’t even fake any kind of enthusiasm about that statline and he’d have to be the new Matt Slater to warrant a roster spot in any capacity

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Good points.  I’m not that sold on Oliver either.  Why didn’t they just re-sign Hall and Hardee?

19 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

A good start.  I know. everyone wants stars, but that is not happening this year.  Simpson doesn't allow sacks.  Kinlaw may be a nice plug in at DT.  We have a legit backup QB.  We improved the CB, with Oliver and the safety spot with the return of Clark.  Whitehead allowed the most touchdowns of any safety in the league and was a lousy tackler.

If Corey Davis comes back, that would relieve the WR2 issue.  Then add a solid WR in round 3 or 4.  There are several slotted there.

The elephant in the room is OT.  They MUST get one starter in free agency.  They cannot go into the season with two rookie OT's.   They stated Vera Tucker will be at guard.  He, Tippman and Simpson should be fine in the middle.  There is no answer on the current roster.   The current FA crop is full over broken down vets and mediocre players looking for top money.  How about Baktiari and Fant.  Both will come cheap and should guarantee one healthy one.   Then draft a tackle.  This is not an expensive direction to take and gives us 3 starting quality tackles.  

By taking this direction, they should get a nice comp pick for losing Huff in 2025.  The cap will get ugly.  They will need those assets.

They haven't stated AVT will be a guard. They have only said that, once they decide on a position for him, they want to leave him there without moving him around. 

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

sorry but they are not the answer

joe sucks at judging wrs-the only hit was a no brainer my little nephew could have picked-in Wilson

Joe brought us Perriman, C Davis, Lazzard, Cobb, Hardman Berrios....

Not suggesting they are. But they surely would have a chance to showcase what they’re capable of with Rodgers. And both will probably be on the team.

So far it's a B-ish free agency so far. It would be an A had JD landed a Jonah Jackson or somebody of that ilk, but that's mostly on name recognition more than anything. The Simpson move has grown on me after seeing the fanbase pull his tape up, I think Kinlaw has a ton of potential on the Jets DL, Greg coming back is obviously great.

The Tyrod signing is just about as good as you can get for a true backup QB. The tier of backup QBs that could start (Minshew, Brissett, Garrapollo, etc.) are never going to come to a place where the only chance they have to start is injury.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t know about that.  He did pretty well bringing in fant and he also did okay bringing in Moses.  Both of those guys are still playing effectively for the teams they went to.  And yes he missed on Khalil, brown, van roten, Lewis.  The thing is none of those guys are much better than Bahktiari when he’s healthy.  If Bakhtiari passes his physical then is he the guy?  I can’t blame Douglas for staying away from the top names.  The position is so important that their current teams should’ve re-signed them already.

Ya and he quickly let them go, brought jags in to replace them. Now he will have to beg for Fant to come back. It’s sucks when you don’t draft OL well, then the gm has to shell out the big bucks to the big bucks. You can try to get cute with high risk/ high reward guys. But bottom line. If the jets OL is ranked in the bottom 3 once again for 3rd yr in a row, JD is a goner.

Its a very "JD Offseason" aka not very much marginal improvement imho.

QB 2 - Check, he upgraded. Finally!

OLINE- TBD (One LG in) We are marginally improved I suppose.

WR2 - TBD

RB2- TBD

Defense - Maintaining, not better. Losing Huff was big. Clark and Oliver are depth and ok. DT from 49ers seems like he just replaces Solomon Thomas. 

K - happy he didnt let Zurlien leave

Again,  kinda meh so far. Plenty of time to go. 

I think a lot depends on draft.  Pick 10 is huge and he needs to get an impact player right away at that spot whether it’s OL or a weapon.  We don’t have a second but have a few extra picks in the middle round for depth 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

This is literally false. In fact JD hinted hard at the combine that they may view AVT as a tackle.

Amplifying my point. AVT has one season left basically. Playing him at LT simplifies so many things for the Jets and does not lock them into reaching for OT at 10. Playing AVT at G is a complete waste at this point IMO.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ya and he quickly let them go, brought jags in to replace them. Now he will have to beg for Fant to come back. It’s sucks when you don’t draft OL well, then the gm has to shell out the big bucks to the big bucks. You can try to get cute with high risk/ high reward guys. But bottom line. If the jets OL is ranked in the bottom 3 once again for 3rd yr in a row, JD is a goner.

The oline ranked so low because they had thirteen different line ups over the season.  Make no mistake , some of the players were either below average or too inexperienced but the bigger problem was not being able to field the same starting line up game in and game out.  I believe they could’ve been ranked in the top half of the league.  Another point about losing fant and Moses is that fant was running into some injury issues and it could just be the jets weren’t offering enough money.  It takes two to tango when it comes to signing players.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Amplifying my point. AVT has one season left basically. Playing him at LT simplifies so many things for the Jets and does not lock them into reaching for OT at 10. Playing AVT at G is a complete waste at this point IMO.

AVT does have more value to the team at OT I think.

They would need to go sign a Risner or Whitehair pretty soon though.

The next OL they sign will be telling which position AVT is slotted for I would think.