Jets sign Tyron Smith

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

One year......ONE year ...... ONE YEAR

If a guy like Alt falls into your lap you think long and hard about it.

Now odds are a weapon player will fall to us, but if the top wrs are gone then you think about it.   You now actually have options.

All these 1 yr deals is to protect JD from getting canned. 1 year is a lifetime for doughnut boy. I agree the OL needs to be built through draft, plug in holes with FA. Need at least 1 young OT who can anchor the OL for years to come. But again, JD knows his arse is on the line, hence kick the can down the road and piece meal the OL once again.

• Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 3

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

One year 20 million, I guess they’re going all in for next year. 

Worth it, and if it is truly a one-year deal, then they can still draft OT at #10. Interestingly, the other option that pops up, although not desirable, would be a franchise tag on Smith the following year if the Jets were in dire straits. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Now odds are a weapon player will fall to us, but if the top wrs are gone then you think about it.   You now actually have options.

If Alt falls You RUN to the podium .... build for Today & Tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

one year is all they have.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I said the Jets were broke and soon after they traded for Moses. I said Smith was a risk and soon after they signed him. 

what should I say next ? I’m on a roll 😂

Keep it coming please

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

the jets window of opportunity is small here.  to fully take advantage of the 3 1st rounders and Breece hall rookie contracts they need to be bold here and go all in.  The whole thing will be blown up after next season anyway.

Jets make the playoffs, maybe even get a playoff win, the staff and JD live to fight another day. I saw the other day, the jets currently are only around 150mill as far as cap space goes in 2025…if the team finally does something, nothing is being blown up.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

Jets make the playoffs, maybe even get a playoff win, the staff and JD live to fight another day. I saw the other day, the jets currently are only around 150mill as far as cap space goes in 2025…if the team finally does something, nothing is being blown up.

then you go get another 1 year FA

9 minutes ago, jetsons said:

If Alt falls You RUN to the podium .... build for Today & Tomorrow. 

What a smart gm would do. 1 who is looking at what is best for jets future too. But most likely will be gone anyway. Bowers or Rome at WR. Aaron does need another weapon besides G Wilson.

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Supposedly he wanted big money and the Chiefs were short-changing him. Interested to see what we paid. Any non-Bakhtiari signing is a huge win, but OL is still absolutely in play at 10

This team’s most glaring need is at WR or at least a pass catching playmaker.

Jets have a starting 5 OL but still need a swing OT that is ready when/if Smith misses games.  Warren rounds at the tackle group and they can get depth guard in rounds 3 or 4.  

But the WR cupboard is bare outside Garrett.  I’d be shocked if the Jets don’t go WR or Bowers in round 1.

• Upvote 1

So now the question becomes do you put all your eggs in the Tyron Smith / Warren Basket ?  Do you still draft a LT if Alt or Fashanu are available ? OR do you grab the best available WR ?? If we go with Tyron./Warren do you move up and get a stud WR in Odunze We now have options and that's a place we always seem to be in with JD he certainly gives himself options. 

I think this will be a tough call 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t see how you can justify it

If all goes well, your Top 10 pick is going to be riding the bench all year.

And if Smith stays healthy and continues to play at a high level, it’s not like the Jets are just going to let him walk after the season. They’ll bust out the franchise tag if need be. Smith isn’t just some solid LT, he’s up there with Joe Thomas and Trent Williams as the best OT of the last 15 years. Plus we’ve drafted mid-round developmental OT’s in back to back drafts.

To me you have to go Bowers or Odunze

Our top 15 pick last yr road the bench all year.. But I don’t think JD will put that much stock in OL now.. 

This is legit the best news ever.  Not only did we just add a legit PB caliber LT, but it opens up our pick to bring in a stud to add to Garrett.  This is the definition of win/win(watch us draft Byron Murphy......but this would still be worth it).

LFG!!!!

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

All these 1 yr deals is to protect JD from getting canned. 1 year is a lifetime for doughnut boy. I agree the OL needs to be built through draft, plug in holes with FA. Need at least 1 young OT who can anchor the OL for years to come. But again, JD knows his arse is on the line, hence kick the can down the road and piece meal the OL once again.

Would you be happier signing a 32 year old to a 5 year deal with massive guarantees?

A 1 year deal is the best way to keep a player motivated.  If he wants to get paid the following year, he'll play hard this year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Smashmouth said:

So now the question becomes do you put all your eggs in the Tyron Smith / Warren Basket ?  Do you still draft a LT if Alt or Fashanu are available ? OR do you grab the best available WR ?? If we go with Tyron./Warren do you move up and get a stud WR in Odunze We now have options and that's a place we always seem to be in with JD he certainly gives himself options. 

I think this will be a tough call 

I trade down, same as always.

Recoup a 2nd rounder. Draft a WR and an O line who can be depth/step in next year.

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

btw - 49ers traded away a lot of picks on a busted QB

Miami - constantly trading away their picks and do ok every season

All the years I have been following Jets and the countless high draft picks we have burned thru only to be a below average team year in year out

**** the draft for 2025 anyway - trade those picks and go get MHJ

MHJ, GW, Breece,Conklin - and AR - is superbowl or bust

GW, FA, Breece,Conklin - and AR - some safe back ups in draft - is still superbowl or bust

I am for whats behind door number 1

• Upvote 3