Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

17 hours ago, peebag said:

Uh - we picked Sam Darnold over Josh Allen  c'mon - get our mistakes correct!

I'm assuming you're joking, but just in case, I was talking about the other Josh Allen.  The one that's one of the best pass rushers in the league and just got a new 5 year, $150m contract.

Jaguars place franchise tag on linebacker Josh Allen

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

This times 1000. If we take a weapon in the first round, he'll be much more of a factor in a win now team. I'd rather have a vet backing up our vets with our small window. If we pick a 3rd round tackle he can still battle with Warren and Mitchell for backup duty. Warren and Mitchell with the new guys will be vastly improved just based on the quality of players on the line that they will play with. Now if a weapon isn't there at ten I would trade back and grab some more picks and go for best value at WR or OT. 3rd round is still a very high pick - especially for a backup swing tackle.

I'd be good with odunze at 10. I think he's the one realistic weapon I'd take over OT. Assuming mhj and nabers gone, obviously I'd take both of them over OT.

Mike williams is also a huge ? with his injuries and we need that outside receiver to stretch the field. Odonze would get a heavy workload early as they bring williams along slowly.

• Upvote 2

Conversation with Nathaniel Hackett. (Quoting the message from my source)

- he came in and told his son to put pack with Russell Wilson on the cover said Russell still gives him nightmares (lol)
- I said big day coming up soon, he said yeah they actually  wrapped up draft meeting bot to long ago. He explained how meetings go. Basically  players names get brought up and scouts and coaches  give comments. He said end of day pick comes down to joe but he made it known he is IN LOVE  with top 3 wr. If none of the 3 are available  he would like to trade back because his next 3 favorite  are in his words  worthy  brian Thomas Jr and pretty Ricky  from florida... I asked him about Roman Wilson, he likes him I brought  up Johnny wilson he said he hates him as a prospect... he has Kelvin Benjamin  written all over him.
- he told me best case senerio  4 qbs and 2 defensive  players go before us cause then they are pretty confident  wr falls to them. 
- I asked about oline. He said  our oline is set. He feels we are in win now mood and doesn't see us going oline. If we do, alt fatanu or Oregon was his votes.... Alabama scares him ... he gave me vibes  that oline is not top priority 
-i asked about bowers and he didn't comment much about him. I told him fans are 50/50 split on him and there is a small group that calls themselves  the bower boys he laughed and said he refuses  to read anything nfl related  put out by media.

- The dudes eyes literally  opened up talking wr! He badly wants 1 of top 3 .. I would even go as far to say druling  over them.

Also he told me the giants are the biggest wild card as the jets organization Is not sure what direction they're going. He said either they are awesome at smoke screens or they aren't even sure what they want. My opinion and only my opinion, I feel if one of the top 3 are there. They're going to pick one up. If bowers is there if they have a partner they will trade back. I told him just tell them not to go d, and his response.. why so you think I said best case 4 qbs and turner and cb goes before us... that worries me lol

Keep eye on Ricky Pearsall if we don't go wr round 1 he really seems to like him.

Biggest takeaway for me "The OL is set" - he still says it's Joe Douglas' final say but that phrasing re-enforces my feelings that the pick will be a weapon.

• Upvote 2

Really can't wait for the draft to get here. There's nothing new to dissect between now and then, it's just the same people arguing about the same things in the same endless circles.

Bowers isn't who I'd pick. Would vastly prefer one of the top 3 WRs (there's a reasonable possibility, though not a likelihood, that one of the three makes it to us or we trade up to ensure it). If none of them are available, would vastly prefer a trade down to taking anyone at 10; in that scenario there's such a tight cluster of "yeah, that's a reasonable choice" picks available that we might as well pick up extra selections before ending up with one of them. And if we stick and pick, I'd mildly prefer OL to Bowers. But if Bowers is the pick ... ok, whatever, let's hope it does what we want it to do. Won't be excited by it, but also won't be outraged.

But whatever the pick is, I'll be excited for the board to stop chewing on it and to instead start moaning about it

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Biggest takeaway for me "The OL is set" - he still says it's Joe Douglas' final say but that phrasing re-enforces my feelings that the pick will be a weapon.

Great information, plus if it gets reported in the news Hackett is going to get fired. Win-win!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

He said end of day pick comes down to joe but he made it known he is IN LOVE  with top 3 wr. If none of the 3 are available  he would like to trade back because his next 3 favorite  are in his words  worthy

Trading back will depend upon whether or not the Vikings moved up, and what they, Denver, and Las Vegas think about the remaining QBs. If he can’t land his stud WR, moving down would be the proper move. 

43 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Daniel Jeremiah tweeted that if Alt is there at 6, look for the Bears to move up and grab him. They would have bookend tackles for then next 10 years to protect Caleb.

They’d need to trade a player or future assets to do so. They only have four picks and their last two don’t add up to move from #9 to 6. I’m pretty fine with them potentially wanting an OL, but taking the best defender there would be better. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

unless all 3 wr’s are gone by 6 I think JD moves up to get one.  

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, slats said:

They’d need to trade a player or future assets to do so. They only have four picks and their last two don’t add up to move from #9 to 6. I’m pretty fine with them potentially wanting an OL, but taking the best defender there would be better. 

If I am investing a #1 pick on a potential FQB, I am creating Fort Knox in front of him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

If I am investing a #1 pick on a potential FQB, I am creating Fort Knox in front of him.

This is certainly one way to look at it. Also, Rodgers was excited to join the Jets because, unlike the Packers, the Jets have a really good defense. It’s a team game. Mahomes is already the GOAT afaic, but he just got his most recent trophy thanks to some great defensive play. 

12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

What's this from?

Hackett just chillin in Morristown bars talking about who they're gonna pick?

Also he had NO comment on Bowers? That just tells me............THEY LOVE HIM. BOWERS TRAIN!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Bowers isn't who I'd pick. Would vastly prefer one of the top 3 WRs

I’d go so far as to say I would overdraft the #4 receiver if we can’t trade back. Quality OL seems much deeper than the quality receivers available at pick 72

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Pretty much sums it up

Yeah I think if we look back in November and feel like “JD brought in too much oline “ they are going to be making a push for the division 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

unless all 3 wr’s are gone by 6 I think JD moves up to get one.  

I think it depends how Douglas feels about Bowers. I wouldn't mind a flip with the Falcons to secure WR3 but I'm also content with taking Bowers in the even WRs are off the board.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

What's this from?

Hackett just chillin in Morristown bars talking about who they're gonna pick?

Also he had NO comment on Bowers? That just tells me............THEY LOVE HIM. BOWERS TRAIN!!!!

I think Bowers is 100% the pick if all WRs are off the board. He wants a weapon for Rodgers. 

I vetted the source to the extent I can, this seems legit IMO

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think Bowers is 100% the pick if all WRs are off the board. He wants a weapon for Rodgers. 

Bless you my child.

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2024 at 10:45 AM, Sammybighead said:

Pretty much sums it up

While true. Name me a team that has 1st rounders and really good backup Olineman? That they're happy to play?

This statement is true for every single team.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I think there’s definitely a chance that Bowers is the pick but it should be stressed that coaches are used, especially at this point, to strategically place smokescreens.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that there is a particular team in the AFC the Jets would like to see jump them for Bowers, pushing Odunze right into reachable territory (pick 8), or directly our laps at 10 if he slips a bit.

Based on what I have heard, I believe the *realistic* (i.e. who they expect to have a more than 50% shot at) top 3 on the Big Board is:

- Odunze

- Fautanu

- Bowers

Of course, someone dropping (MH Jr., Alt, etc.) can alter those plans come draft day, but you can’t prep everything around those hopes.

IMO, everything becomes juicy around pick 7, because there’s probably a short list of guys that you start considering a trade up for if they slip.  Furthermore, I also know that they prefer to trade down if the top WRs are off the board when we pick, but I remain steadfast in my own belief in that nobody is going to offer anything that moves the needle enough for Douglas to pull the trigger.

If the Jets land Odunze, we are partying. I think that when all is said and done, that's the guy everybody's going to wish they had on their team.

I feel similarly but less bullish about Fautanu as the OL pick. He's going to be a good one. This is a great top 3, as I see it, and how I would have it lined up as well.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I think there’s definitely a chance that Bowers is the pick but it should be stressed that coaches are used, especially at this point, to strategically place smokescreens.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that there is a particular team in the AFC the Jets would like to see jump them for Bowers, pushing Odunze right into reachable territory (pick 8), or directly our laps at 10 if he slips a bit.

Based on what I have heard, I believe the *realistic* (i.e. who they expect to have a more than 50% shot at) top 3 on the Big Board is:

- Odunze

- Fautanu

- Bowers

Of course, someone dropping (MH Jr., Alt, etc.) can alter those plans come draft day, but you can’t prep everything around those hopes.

IMO, everything becomes juicy around pick 7, because there’s probably a short list of guys that you start considering a trade up for if they slip.  Furthermore, I also know that they prefer to trade down if the top WRs are off the board when we pick, but I remain steadfast in my own belief in that nobody is going to offer anything that moves the needle enough for Douglas to pull the trigger.

Does that mean Fautanu is the #2 (behind Alt) or #3 (behind Alt and Fashanu) OT on their board?

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

- Odunze

- Fautanu

- Bowers

The strategy makes a lot of sense.  If you can get a stud wr take him, if not trade back and still get a good tackle.  I go back and forth between fuaga and fautanu, and if ultimately the jets go tackle and value the future LT cornerstone more, then fautanu would be the logical pick.  It will be interesting to see if they do this, how they attack wr on day 2. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

- Odunze

- Fautanu

- Bowers

I could see JD getting a call if Bowers and the two top corners are on the board. Cincinnati for Bowers and Eagles for the corners.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The more I think of it, the more I think the jets have 0 interest in Bowers.  All smoke in hopes someone grabs bowers before 10 so one of the wrs falls to them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

- Odunze

- Fautanu

- Bowers

Thanks Mogglez.

Would they go Fautanu over Fashanu, or do they not think Fashanu will be there?

I'm in the minority, but I think there's at least an outside chance Nabers falls to #10.

Stranger things have happened:

Ceedee Lamb fell gift-wrapped to the Cowboys at #17.

Jets could have had CeeDee at #11 but took 400 lbs weed-flagged Mekhi Becton instead 😂 🤣🤣

• More Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dane Brugler saying the Jets “have done a lot of work” on Brian Thomas Jr. 

cc: @derp

To me this signals a desire to go pass catcher more than anything else, but who knows. In other words, they'd really like to go WR and want to understand how they feel about Thomas if the top three are off the board and they end up moving down.

I rambled in another thread about how Bowers wouldn't be a Conklin replacement but just a fifth skill player (Wilson, Williams, Hall, Conklin). Someone like Thomas, IMO, would let them put Wilson in the slot more to attack mismatches, give them two big time deep threats on the perimeter, could probably get some gadget stuff too, and then would be a pretty clean fit to step in for Williams after this season. Don't know that they *should* but I'd guess that would be the plan.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dane Brugler saying the Jets “have done a lot of work” on Brian Thomas Jr. 

cc: @derp

Don’t you like Matt Miller? Did you see the ESPN show the other night with him, Kiper and two other guys where Miller did his players comps?

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

- Odunze

- Fautanu

- Bowers

I'd imagine Tennessee more than some other teams would be cool with future draft capital. Little ammo in 2025 pending how the Levis experiment works out and the Jets don't have a lot of 2024 ammo. And they could easily want a non-Alt tackle they could get at 10 before the run. Makes a lot of sense to me. I'd be a little surprised if they don't end up moving down a little, actually, and nine or ten seems like a good fit trade wise for a bunch of reasons.