Did JD build the best team in football?

11 hours ago, Falco21 said:

This is it. It's the best Jets roster I have ever seen and that's not a question. It all comes down to Rodgers. Plain and simple. 

It actually all comes down to them staying healthy 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Dear God, no! The chiefs still have Mahomes, right?

I think there is now a ton of pressure on Rodgers to not be washed up, since this should really be a playoff team with good QB play. 

Yes KC has Mahomes, but other than that? Where would you say KC has advantage on us? They just lost their best CB and Kelce another year older. Plus last year we gave them a heck of a game with Zach.

On paper, this is the absolute best team of my lifetime. The 2010 team was pretty good too but not like this. 

It all comes down to injuries honestly but that can be said about every team. I wish we took JSN over McDonald. I cannot get over that draft pick. I feel like Tony Soprano’s mom. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They for sure do NOT have the best roster in football.

When you have a big fat ? at QB you are not the best roster.

If Aaron Rodgers does not come back and play near pro bowl level the team will fail.

The guy was tearing up our D in December at practice and wasn't fully healthy yet. He needs to be half of that and we will contend.

• Upvote 2

Someone said on X yesterday that if you believe Aaron Rodgers is still a top 10 QB it's hard to not see the Jets as one of the best teams in the league on paper. I think that's fair. 

I think at this point i'm all in on another offensive lineman at 10 just to solidify depth on the line combined with the fact that Tyron Smith hasn't played a full season since 2015. Bowers will be intriguing though if he is there.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Not the best Jets roster ever ... But it is exciting... Still gaping holes at WR, OL, S and RB2.

If we draft defense... This site will indeed be a spectacle to behold.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I could easily argue it's the best ever on paper. 

And I'm not sure your logic in gaping holes at WR and OL. We need depth on the line and we likely will be adding another receiver in the draft, but gaping holes? Not sure that adds up 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I could easily argue it's the best ever on paper. 

Can you?

Better than the 68's Super Bowl Jets?

Better than the 1985/1986 Jets with the Sack Exchange and Toon/Walker/Shuler/McNeil?

Better than the Parcells 98' Jets?

Better than the 2009/2010 Rex Jets?

I don't think so.  So much hype, so little results, that's the fact of the JD era, and till his teams prove it, on the field, it will remain so.  Best ever, lol.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Looks like JD did a fantastic job building this team. Now go trade up for MHJ or Nabers to put the cherry on top of this offseason!

Best team in football?

Wait till week 5 when everyone on board wants to fire JD

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can you?

Better than the 1985/1986 Jets with the Sack Exchange and Toon/Walker/Shuler/McNeil?

I don't think so.  So much hype, so little results, that's the fact of the JD era, and till his teams prove it, on the field, it will remain so.  Best ever, lol.

Much better on paper

difference is all those teams had a coach

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Plen T said:

Its true

Big Joe has an absurd mix of elite veterans and elite young players

the only problem with this team truly is the coaching staff 

And health.  If we get injured at the wrong position we're in deep trouble.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Can you?

Yeah but those mid-80s Jets teams' safeties...

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Can you?

That 68 team was loaded.  They beat what was considered to be one of the all time great nfl teams.  The 85/86 team was talented but i don’t think Walton had them playing as a team.  The 98 team imo was very much a team.  Some outstanding players but also a bunch of solid guys.  Same thing with 2009/2010 team.  This current team has yet to play as a team.  If they can put it all together and avoid major injuries we can expect a lot.

It’s hard to look at this team with the additions of Smith, Simpson and Moses on the OL, Williams at WR, a “healthy Rodgers… and now Reddick on defense and not be optimistic. On paper it looks really good.

Then I do a deep dive and look at the possible downside to each of these players in ‘24 (other than Reddick) and add in the “it’s the Jets” factor and yeah… I’m still betting the under 9 1/2 win total.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

lol do you just reply with emojis or can you actually have a debate? You don’t think this Jets roster is talented?

I think it’s seriously talented. That’s not the issue. The problem is we’re relying heavily on old and injury prone players at positions of need because of Douglas’ draft busts. Also I’m hesitant to crown a team “best roster in the league” with the longest playoff drought in American sports. Show me something first. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

It’s a talented team on paper. But major questions at HC, OC, and QB.

The JD ball washing over correcting HIS OWN mistakes by gambling with injury prone players on one year deals is a little over the top. He’ll get credit from me once it translates to wins for once.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

It’s a talented team on paper. But major questions at HC, OC, and QB.

The JD ball washing over correcting HIS OWN mistakes by gambling with injury prone players on one year deals is a little over the top. He’ll get credit from me once it translates to wins for once.

He will sleep easier tonight, knowing this.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I think the Reddick trade is a net positive.  But it also demonstrates just how "win now" the Jets really are.

Would have rather been surprised with news of a Friday afternoon trade involving high draft picks that was for an offensive player, maybe a WR like Tee Higgins or something, rather than another Front 7 defender.... but that's just me.

After digesting all the moves that have been made thus far in free agency my opinion is that the unit still needing the most help and reinforcement is the offensive line.  History tells us we should expect about 12 games from Tyron Smith.  Can we trust Carter Warren to hold down LT for multiple weeks during the season?  If the Jets are truly ALL IN for the 2024 then they should be looking to add another veteran or two on the OL.  Bring back McGovern (backup C, OG) and sign Baktiari to a deal where he knows he may only need to play 5 games all year.  Those are insurance policies.

On 3/29/2024 at 8:07 PM, slimjasi said:

Dear God, no! The chiefs still have Mahomes, right?

I think there is now a ton of pressure on Rodgers to not be washed up, since this should really be a playoff team with good QB play. 

You raise an interesting point.  Though it is tempting to say a team that hasn’t made the playoffs since 2010 has a better roster than the team that won 3 of the last 5 championships as long as that team is our beloved (and loathed) NY Jets.