PICK 173: JETS DRAFT RB ISAIAH DAVIS

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Head scratching pick. Being he’s a big guy like Allen. Something tells me they don’t like Izzy that much

They definitely weren’t happy with their short yardage last year.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Man that would be great. I still would love to see Izzy get more carries. Wondering if he's odd man out ? 

Couldn't say, but it's not a convincing endorsement of him to see them draft two more RBs the very next April.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Couldn't say, but it's not a convincing endorsement of him to see them draft two more RBs the very next April.

He really didnt do a damn thing last year. Seemed very tentative and is not a very good at picking up the blitz. Seems to be a waste of a 3rd round pick.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who'd you want at each pick (including bypassing on trade-downs, presumably)?

Personally I like to judge these things in hindsight, this way I'm never wrong.

You should run for President. 

5 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

He really didnt do a damn thing last year. Seemed very tentative and is not a very good at picking up the blitz. Seems to be a waste of a 3rd round pick.

Well if it makes you feel any better it's only a waste of a 5th round pick, seeing as that's when he was drafted.

Better that than holding onto a pick just because, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, extmenace said:

This pick is odd. We def needed to add another back, but two? As I said in the other thread, I know we’ll be run heavy this year, but that’s 3 mid round picks on RBs in the last two drafts, not to mention the second rounder spent in the second on breece in 2022. 

Not really odd if you believe in him. I know we all enjoy drafting for need in every round with our mocks but if you have a kid there in the late 5th who you’re confident will be a player, I have no problem with taking him. 

I guess one way to look at it is you’re throwing two RBs at the wall and hoping one sticks. If he does, you have your 1-2 RB duo for the next 4 years. In today’s NFL that’s become a necessity. Best case is both pan out and you can flip one down the line. 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The people tend to want a president with 23 pairs of chromosomes. They're so set in their old ways, but I am the future!

Ehhhh chromosomes. Overated little gizmos. I've burnt most of mine out and I'm better than ever.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Has to be a mental thing for him. Because he has talent. But are either of the TBs we drafted decent at catching the ball?

• Upvote 1

Jet fans hatred for izzy is so strange.  Izzy is rb2 and is going to have a really nice season for us complimenting Breece.  You need 3 rbs and 1 on the practice squad.

We now have 4 rbs on the team.  We are set there.

Please lose the embarrassing Izzy is getting cut takes.

This organization LOVES Izzy!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans hatred for izzy is so strange.  Izzy is rb2 and is going to have a really nice season for us complimenting Breece.  You need 3 rbs and 1 on the practice squad.

Izzy won't be RB2 this year. RB2 will likely be Isaiah Davis. 

Isaiah-Davis.jpg

We don’t foresee the return of “ground and pound”, but the Jets have selected running back Isaiah Davis with the 173rd overall pick.  After taking Braelon Allen with pick 134, the pick came as a surprise.  The South Dakota State product was one of the top running backs in all of college football last season as he racked up 1,578 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Isaiah Davis: 96.8 rushing grade in 2023 (1st among RBs) 🏃‍♂️💨 pic.twitter.com/l6n21C9xll

— PFF NY Jets (@PFF_Jets) April 27, 2024

The pair of picks suggest the Jets aren’t happy with the progress of last year’s fifth-round draft choice in Izzy Abanikanda whose roster spot may be in jeopardy.

Carrying four running backs on a 53-man roster isn’t something you see much of in today’s NFL which means somebody is likely on their way out with Abanikanda and a pair of draft picks joining the running backs room.

The post Jets Select Running Back Isaiah Davis With Pick no. 173 appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Nothing says “I love you” like drafting 2 of your replacements an hour apart 😂

• Haha 1

definitely seems to me they trying to get tougher on offense.  For years we been subject to pussies like Mims who was afraid of contact, ZW who runs backwards and refuses to play, Corey Davis who quits on his team, MC who couldn't pass protect for his life, and a bunch of other complainer type cast offs

I actually like what they did in getting punishers like Corley and Allen.   Dont know much about Davis but sounds like another bruiser type and he will be on specials and they need to carry 4 RB anyway.  Plus they have no need for Bawden services anymore - he never seemed to make it thru 3 or 4 games anyway before getting hurt.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

definitely seems to me they trying to get tougher on offense.  For years we been subject to pussies like Mims who was afraid of contact, ZW who runs backwards and refuses to play, Corey Davis who quits on his team, MC who couldn't pass protect for his life, and a bunch of other complainer type cast offs

I actually like what they did in getting punishers like Corley and Allen.   Dont know much about Davis but sounds like another bruiser type and he will be on specials and they need to carry 4 RB anyway.  Plus they have no need for Bawden services anymore - he never seemed to make it thru 3 or 4 games anyway before getting hurt.

Getting rid of becton and ZW, drafting a legitimate LT of the future, bringing in 2 bruising rbs and a tough wr.  I think the offensive philosophy has definitely evolved and they even drafted a worthwhile qb who isn’t being thrown into the fire immediately

• Upvote 1

Abandikanda might be goner hasn't shown much and he was hurt for good part season think JD wasn't comfortable with him in back of Hall. Good chance if he gets hurt or can't beat out the the rookies might end up cut or on the practice Squad.