Buster Skrine allegedly on run from police

Canadian police say they are searching for former Jets defensive back Darryl “Buster” Skrine after he missed a court date relating to bank fraud allegations that were levied last year.

Skrine was arrested last August and accused of committing over $100,000 in bank fraud in an alleged scheme where he would open new bank accounts with fraudulent check deposits and withdraw money from the accounts before the checks cleared.

Police in Canada are searching for former Jets defensive back Buster Skrine, after he missed a court date and his GPS monitoring device went offline related to a case in which he was accused of bank fraud last year.

Police in Canada are searching for former Jets defensive back Buster Skrine, after he missed a court date and his GPS monitoring device went offline related to a case in which he was accused of bank fraud last year.Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Skrine had been granted bail from the Saskatchewan Correctional Centre on April 24

He is wanted for Fail to Appear and Fail to Comply with Release Order, and the police are offering a $2,000 cash reward.

When he was originally detained, police said that “there is reason to believe the same male has been committing similar offences (sic) across Canada,” referring to the check scheme.

Skrine played college football at Chattanooga and was selected in the fifth round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Browns.

He appeared in 59 games for the Jets over those four years, including 48 starts.

57 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I swear this already happened once.

Yup, I feel the same as I posted about reading about him preparing for life after the NFL by taking business courses in NYC while playing for the Jets. Might explain his shedding his ankle monitor which was probably part of his original run in that was posted here some months back .

Sad that he messed up his life so bad. I’m afraid we’re going to see more and more of this  as college players start making a lot of NIL money only to suddenly find themselves out on the street 

• Upvote 4

The Jets used to do these events in NYC with the ICE Culinary School. The event organizer would always have us out to do player interviews that @courtnj18 would do.

We were walking in one time and Buster was the featured player. We were waiting in line with him, he was right in front of us. We were chatting with him and said that we were interviewing him later. He was very nice.

We get to the front of the line, he gives his name and security says you aren't on the list. I think I almost died. They wouldn't let him in. He pointed to the sign advertising the event, his name was featured on it. They called someone and let him in. Unreal.

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Jets used to do these events in NYC with the ICE Culinary School. The event organizer would always have us out to do player interviews that @courtnj18 would do.

We were walking in one time and Buster was the featured player. We were waiting in line with him, he was right in front of us. We were chatting with him and said that we were interviewing him later. He was very nice.

We get to the front of the line, he gives his name and security says you aren't on the list. I think I almost died. They wouldn't let him in. He pointed to the sign advertising the event, his name was featured on it. They called someone and let him in. Unreal.

I feel bad that he's put himself in this position, especially being that he sought to educate himself by interning in business in NYC when he first signed with the Jets. Back then he was hopeful to learn from a top investment company how to invest his big contract money with the Jets to take care of his wife and kid.

I found the article https://www.nj.com/jets/2016/01/how_jets_buster_skrine_prepared_for_free_agency_ri.html 

from back in 2016 which in now reading the ending maybe shines some light on what possibly went wrong .

Skrine wouldn't budge on the blue Lamborghini. The internship couldn't change his mind about that.

Not that Doman didn't try. His biggest message to Skrine, during those two months, involved the value of long-term, stable investment over short-term splurging, or pouring money into flashier investment opportunities.

"To get him to understand that although it's not quite as sexy as investing in, say, a restaurant, the goal here is to preserve the capital and make it appreciate over a longer period of time," Doman said. "That was a real challenge, trying to get him to understand that it's not simply about how sexy or tangible the opportunity is. It's more about what the opportunities mean for the long term."

15 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Sad that he messed up his life so bad. I’m afraid we’re going to see more and more of this  as college players start making a lot of NIL money only to suddenly find themselves out on the street 

IIRC when with the Jets I thought he opened/ran some type of fitness place in the city.

• Upvote 1

Dude had made enough money in the NFL to set himself up comfortably for life.  Now he's likely going to Canadian prison.  But I hear that it's nothing like USA prison.  Pretty much the same thing as paying a lengthy visit to @Beerfish with @Paradis filling the role of parole officer.

After spending four seasons with the Browns, Skrine signed a four-year-$25-million contract with the New York Jets in 2015, according to Spotrac. That deal included a $5 million signing bonus and $13 million in guarantees.

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

"Let's go back to MetLife where Jeane Coakley is with Buster Skrine for the 11th consecutive week after a loss for some inexplicable reason..."

"Buster, what's the mindset of the team right now...?"

"How frustrating is it ...?"

"What was coaches message to the team...?"

Finally we a reason for Coakly to interview this scrub, and we get nothing.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Dude had made enough money in the NFL to set himself up comfortably for life.  Now he's likely going to Canadian prison.  But I hear that it's nothing like USA prison.  Pretty much the same thing as paying a lengthy visit to @Beerfish with @Paradis filling the role of parole officer.

After spending four seasons with the Browns, Skrine signed a four-year-$25-million contract with the New York Jets in 2015, according to Spotrac. That deal included a $5 million signing bonus and $13 million in guarantees.

The max security prisons are probably as harsh as the USA but the parole system and way they handle prisoners is disgusting and a sheer and utter joke.  Some of the people running the system are so out of touch with reality that it is barf inducing.   We recently had a large uproar over the fact that they actually moved Paul Bernardo (one of the worst pieces of filth on this planet) to a medium security prison.  Of course there was a total shi* storm over this and the reply was, oh we can't do anything about it it is the way the system is.

What is the point of NIL money .. disband college ball and make a farm league already... Half these guys aren't there for any sort of education.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Hard to feel sorry for a guy with $40 mill earnings over his career. Then decides to steal money. I’m 55 work in Aerospace engineering and have done so for more then 30 years, and only earned a fraction of that. I hope they send him to the Canadian version of Sawshank.

• Upvote 1