Jets taking closer look at Mitchell Trubisky

joewilly12

Jets taking closer look at Mitchell Trubisky in potential draft shakeup

March 29, 2017 | 12:17pm | Updated 

Mitchell Trubisky throws a pass during North Carolina's pro day.AP

PHOENIX — While most people are talking about the North Carolina basketball team, the Jets are spending some time with a member of the North Carolina football team — quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

The Jets will travel to Chapel Hill for a private workout with Trubisky on Thursday, The Post has learned. Trubisky is considered by many to be the top quarterback in next month’s NFL Draft. The Jets hold the No. 6 pick and have been open about the possibility of selecting a quarterback.

The Trubisky workout will be their third with a top quarterback in the draft. They already held private workouts with Clemson’s Deshaun Watson and Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer, according to a source. Kizer confirmed he worked out for the Jets at his pro day. The Jets also plan on having the quarterbacks take pre-draft visits to their Florham Park headquarters to spend more time with them.

The Jets attended all three of the quarterbacks’ pro days with at least scouts, but wanted to probe deeper with workouts. Private workouts have gained popularity with teams, though, because pro days have become scripted events in which the quarterbacks control the types of throws they make. The teams dictate the private workouts and can have a quarterback make the types of throws they have questions about.

SEE ALSO

Jets are giving Christian Hackenberg his shot at starting

If the Jets draft a quarterback at No. 6, it will be a seismic move. They have drafted quarterbacks in each of the past four drafts, but Geno Smith (2013, second round) and Tajh Boyd (2014, sixth round) are no longer on the roster. Bryce Petty (2015, fourth round) and Christian Hackenberg (2016, second round) are going to compete with veteran Josh McCown for the starting job, Jets coach Todd Bowles announced Tuesday. If the Jets draft Trubisky, Watson or Kizer, it would completely change the dynamics of the team’s quarterback situation. The Jets have not taken a quarterback in the first round since Mark Sanchez in 2009.

“You never say never,” Bowles said Tuesday about drafting a quarterback at No. 6. “We want to take the best player depending on how it falls at six. There could be a quarterback there that we want. There could be somebody else that we want. You have to see how the draft falls. You can never take enough good players. We’re not ruling them out, but we’re not ruling them in either.”

Trubisky’s stock has been on the rise since the end of the college season. The biggest concern teams have about him is why it took him so long to get on the field at North Carolina. He had to wait two years behind Marquise Williams before becoming a starter in 2016. He only made 13 starts in college, giving teams a limited amount of game tape to study.

At 6-foot-2 and with an ability to pass and run, Trubisky has the tools. He completed 68 percent of his passes in 2016 and threw 30 touchdowns and just six interceptions. He also ran for 308 yards and five touchdowns. Like many college quarterbacks, he operated almost exclusively from the shotgun. NFL teams are going to want to see him take snaps from center and drop back.

The quarterback decision is a critical one for general manager Mike Maccagnan and Bowles in their third season with the Jets. There is a school of thought that they can’t take a quarterback at No. 6 without being sure that QB is a Day 1 starter because there are so many holes on their roster. It also would be a damning statement about Hackenberg, who has not even gotten a chance to play. The flip side of the argument: If you think a quarterback can play, you draft him. You keep taking them until you get the right one.

The Jets have been searching for the next Joe Namath for 40 years. The search continues Thursday in Chapel Hill.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF Macc thinks that this kid offers SIGNIFICANTLY more upside and potential over Petty and Hack, I'm all for it.

If he's just another kid that's gonna need 'a year or two' to develop, I'd pass at 6.  2nd, 3rd  rd or later?  Take your shot.

If they draft this kid, I do not want McCown to see even ONE meaningful PS rep in PS games 1-3...all the reps go to the three young guys..because drafting a project at #6 in the 1st rd is not acceptable.

I've stated previously that I have no problem drafting a QB at #6...but that person drafted should have at least the potential to start in year ONE.  Otherwise, they're just another Hack (and that's not necessarily bad, just bad at #6).

2 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I'm still not giving up on Hack since he was never supposed to play year 1 but if we take a QB at 6 it means Mac has no ******* clue what he's doing at the position. I'd rather just tank and take the no brainer QB next draft.

We can do both. Know why? Because I realized this today:

The Jets could have taken Lynch, Hack, Brissett, AND Dak with their first four picks if they wanted to. And they should have. Because we'd have a starter and a backup with maybe one project to keep and another to cut or trade. And guess what? That beats having Lee/Hack/Jenkins/Burris.

Just keep taking quarterbacks. Every single round. Every year.

10 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I'm still not giving up on Hack since he was never supposed to play year 1 but if we take a QB at 6 it means Mac has no ******* clue what he's doing at the position. I'd rather just tank and take the no brainer QB next draft.

Do you not realize how diametrically opposed your statements above are?

If Macc didn't think that Hack should have played in year one, how the hell would he have any more judgement as to what Hack may or may not become after last season?  Hack is a possibility is all.  What he may be wasn't going to be determined in year one.

If Trubisky offers significant upside and chance, then take him.  2 lottery tickets are better than 1...but only take him IF YOU THINK SERIOUSLY THAT HE CAN BE THE GUY long term.

The Jets have been searching for the next Joe Namath for 40 years. The search continues Thursday in Chapel Hill.

Except that pre-draft Namath stood out like a polished diamond tiara on the Bonneville Salt Flats at high noon. 

None of this year's class are qualified to lick Namath's cleats.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

This has to be One of the GREATER EFFORTS to create a smokescreen and SCARE the living crap out of the Cards, Saints, Browns (#12), etc. to want to trade up so as not to have their preferred QB snatched up by the Jets, ostensibly. 

OR

If that happens, I'll be TRUE to my word but would also have LOST A LOT of faith in Mac b/c, IMO, he's then merely just chucking @UnitedWhofans posts against the wall to see what sticks. 

eat+crow.jpg

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

This has to be One of the GREATER EFFORTS to create a smokescreen and SCARE the living crap out of the Cards, Saints, Browns (#12), etc. to want to trade up so as not to have their preferred QB snatched up by the Jets, ostensibly. 

OR

If that happens, I'll be TRUE to my word but would also have LOST A LOT of faith in Mac b/c, IMO, he's then merely just chucking @UnitedWhofans posts against the wall to see what sticks. 

eat+crow.jpg

Interesting this yr compared to last yr  

<<FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — In late March, NFL agent Rich Rosa fielded a call from the Jets about setting up a workout with his client, Christian Hackenberg, the polarizing quarterback from Penn State. But the team had one non-negotiable condition: it would have to remain absolutely secret.>>

So they're going to keep drafting QBs without giving any of them a real chance to actually see what they can do?  Wasn't the plan with Hackenberg to sit him a whole year regardless?  Shouldn't we be happy that the coaches and management stuck to their gameplan with him and red-shirted him?  I'm just honestly very confused here.  So let's say hypothetically speaking that the Jets go ahead and draft Trubisky.  It's going to be an open competition during training camp and I'm going to assume that the veteran is going to win out against a rookie.  Then what?  Everyone is going to be screaming and cursing at the pick and I know exactly what'll happen.  We're going to be drafting ANOTHER QB in with our top pick in 2018.  

When does this nasty trend stop??  People are telling me that they're okay and willing to pass on potential All-Pro/Superstar talents like Jamal Adams or OJ Howard or Malik Hooker for a QB who is arguably the best in a weak class?  I'll even throw in Fournette and even a guy like Garrett Bolles who a lot of people are saying will be an All-Pro tackle with his skill and nastiness.  To be honest I don't know if I'd even want to pass on a guy like Garrett Bolles for any of these QBs.  Yeah I get it I know a QB is the main piece to the puzzle here guys but we need to inject this roster with talent at all positions.  We don't have the luxury of passing on these other players and picking a QB every time.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Interesting this yr compared to last yr  

<<FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — In late March, NFL agent Rich Rosa fielded a call from the Jets about setting up a workout with his client, Christian Hackenberg, the polarizing quarterback from Penn State. But the team had one non-negotiable condition: it would have to remain absolutely secret.>>

Exactly. One thing these guys have been good at when they want to: keeping things under wraps. They're advertising that they're looking at this QB, frequently viewed as the best in this year's class. They've blatantly advertised that they're open to dealing the #6 overall. IMO, they want someone to trade with them, or trade ahead of them to push another prospect they're interested in down. 

Tend to agree with those who see this as a smokescreen. The 12th overall the Browns have and the second round pick they have via trade are worth slightly less than the 6th pick on the trade value chart - but I wouldn't quibble. Odds are someone we've talked about 6 would be there at 12 and the extra pick is desperately needed.

The Chargers openly advertising they want to add a QB is well timed for the Jets too. Not sure they do it at 7 but it's nice to have it in other teams' heads.

It would make total sense to me for Macc to take Trubisky at 6.  Bad optics if he passes on him and the kid turns out to be a star elsewhere.  No one remembers you passing over a HOF guard but EVERYONE remembers you passing over a franchise QB...

Exactly. One thing these guys have been good at when they want to: keeping things under wraps. They're advertising that they're looking at this QB, frequently viewed as the best in this year's class. They've blatantly advertised that they're open to dealing the #6 overall. IMO, they want someone to trade with them, or trade ahead of them to push another prospect they're interested in down. 

I'm thinking you got it right. It's a smoke screen pure and simple. Make it look like they have a great amount of interest in certain QBs to get a trade down opportunity. This would also smash the 2nd round pick of Hack to bits before it was even taken for a legitimate test drive. Mac has made some questionable decisions but he does not have the luxury of reaching especially with the 6th overall pick.
I would say the one and only thing I find interesting about Trubisky is what people find to be his issue. If he had that success in a 13 game span...Could you imagine if with more experience he gets better, alot better not worse as is the worry.
With that said forget it Mac play your poker we don't need any more projects with 2 on the roster. Grab Peterman in the 3rd...He will be a good one and if not no biggie just a third rounder as opposed to a blown 1st rounder.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

47 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree.  This smells like a smokescreen to me.  it just seems that the Jets have been overly transparent about privately working out QB's this year which would be a silly strategy if you actually wanted to draft one of them.  Why attract attention, unless you want the attention.  Or, this could be a very calculated reverse psychology play.  Not sure the Jets are that smart, though. 

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

I agree.  This smells like a smokescreen to me.  it just seems that the Jets have been overly transparent about privately working out QB's this year which would be a silly strategy if you actually wanted to draft one of them.  Why attract attention, unless you want the attention.  Or, this could be a very calculated reverse psychology play.  Not sure the Jets are that smart, though. 

Or.....wait for it.....fans could be over-analyzing and conspiracy theorizing routine pre-draft talent evaluations at obvious positions of talent deficiency?  

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

March 29, 2017 | 12:17pm | Updated 

Jets taking closer look at Mitchell Trubisky in potential draft shakeupPHOENIX — While most people are talking about the North Carolina basketball team, the Jets are spending some time with a member of the North Carolina football team — quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

The Jets will travel to Chapel Hill for a private workout with Trubisky on Thursday, The Post has learned. Trubisky is considered by many to be the top quarterback in next month’s NFL Draft. The Jets hold the No. 6 pick and have been open about the possibility of selecting a quarterback.

The Trubisky workout will be their third with a top quarterback in the draft. They already held private workouts with Clemson’s Deshaun Watson and Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer, according to a source. Kizer confirmed he worked out for the Jets at his pro day. The Jets also plan on having the quarterbacks take pre-draft visits to their Florham Park headquarters to spend more time with them.

The Jets attended all three of the quarterbacks’ pro days with at least scouts, but wanted to probe deeper with workouts. Private workouts have gained popularity with teams, though, because pro days have become scripted events in which the quarterbacks control the types of throws they make. The teams dictate the private workouts and can have a quarterback make the types of throws they have questions about.

If the Jets draft a quarterback at No. 6, it will be a seismic move. They have drafted quarterbacks in each of the past four drafts, but Geno Smith (2013, second round) and Tajh Boyd (2014, sixth round) are no longer on the roster. Bryce Petty (2015, fourth round) and Christian Hackenberg (2016, second round) are going to compete with veteran Josh McCown for the starting job, Jets coach Todd Bowles announced Tuesday. If the Jets draft Trubisky, Watson or Kizer, it would completely change the dynamics of the team’s quarterback situation. The Jets have not taken a quarterback in the first round since Mark Sanchez in 2009.

“You never say never,” Bowles said Tuesday about drafting a quarterback at No. 6. “We want to take the best player depending on how it falls at six. There could be a quarterback there that we want. There could be somebody else that we want. You have to see how the draft falls. You can never take enough good players. We’re not ruling them out, but we’re not ruling them in either.”

Trubisky’s stock has been on the rise since the end of the college season. The biggest concern teams have about him is why it took him so long to get on the field at North Carolina. He had to wait two years behind Marquise Williams before becoming a starter in 2016. He only made 13 starts in college, giving teams a limited amount of game tape to study.

At 6-foot-2 and with an ability to pass and run, Trubisky has the tools. He completed 68 percent of his passes in 2016 and threw 30 touchdowns and just six interceptions. He also ran for 308 yards and five touchdowns. Like many college quarterbacks, he operated almost exclusively from the shotgun. NFL teams are going to want to see him take snaps from center and drop back.

The quarterback decision is a critical one for general manager Mike Maccagnan and Bowles in their third season with the Jets. There is a school of thought that they can’t take a quarterback at No. 6 without being sure that QB is a Day 1 starter because there are so many holes on their roster. It also would be a damning statement about Hackenberg, who has not even gotten a chance to play. The flip side of the argument: If you think a quarterback can play, you draft him. You keep taking them until you get the right one.

"You Can Never Take Enough Good Players"

Words to live by. Bowles should record himself and play it back so he can hear how dumb he sounds.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Or.....wait for it.....fans could be over-analyzing and conspiracy theorizing routine pre-draft talent evaluations at obvious positions of talent deficiency?  

Could be.  Years of rooting for a team that can't get out of its own way a lot of the time and who is starving for a championship will turn even the most rational and level headed fan into a blithering idiot filled with delusional and jaded thoughts regarding the team.  Guilty as charged.  :D

Archived