Daily News: In surprising start for Jets, Leonard Williams and Muhammed Wilkerson have been huge disappointments

Freemanm

In surprising start for Jets, Leonard Williams and Muhammed Wilkerson have been huge disappointments 

The 2017 Jets have been unpredictable.

After stripping their roster of veteran talent, many around the league felt the Jets would contend for the top pick in next year’s draft, not for a playoff spot.

Now, six weeks in to their 2017 season, Gang Green is a controversial call away from being in sole posession of first place in the AFC East, ahead of the rival Patriots.

Sure, the Jets’ quality of play has been improbable. But the disappointment of what many considered to be the biggest strength of the team — the defensive line — has been just as unexpected.

Leonard Williams and Muhammed Wilkerson were retained during the Jets’ roster purge, a pair of talented defensive ends with a history of getting to the quarterback who had combined for 26.5 sacks the last two years.

Williams had been a budding pash rusher, leading him to declare to the Daily News back in August that his goal this year was “a sack in every game.”

And Wilkerson? The 27-year-old amassed 33 sacks over the last four seasons, leading many to believe the defensive duo may be the lone bright spots on an otherwise talentless roster.

For the Jets to be sitting right now at 3-3, many would’ve assumed it would be because of Wilkerson and Williams, not despite of them.

Well, so much for that.

The pair remains without a sack, failing once again to get to the quarterback in their loss to the Patriots on Sunday.

Tom Brady would’ve been the man to breakthrough against, too. The veteran signal-caller had been sacked 16 times entering Sunday, already one more than he suffered in the entirety of the 2016 regular season.

Head coach Todd Bowles remains confident his squad is making progress on getting to opposing quarterbacks, however.

“Guys are getting close. We make action,” Bowles told reporters Monday. “Sometimes the ball is out, sometimes we have good rushes and the ball is just out. It just happens like that. We’ll keep working at it.”

But through six games, it’s hard to ignore the results. The Jets went toe-to-toe against the defending Super Bowl champs and are far removed from the possibility of a winless campaign. Simply put, they’re better than people gave them credit for.

Williams and Wilkerson are far removed from being considered a strength of the Jets. They just aren’t getting to the quarterback, and it’s putting additional pressure on their secondary, including first-year safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye.

So how do the Jets turn around the troubling trend?

Austin Seferian-Jenkins’ overruled TD catch unfairly cost Jets

Todd Bowles remains confident that his pass rush will come around.

Todd Bowles remains confident that his pass rush will come around.

(JOE ROBBINS/GETTY IMAGES)

“If we stop the run a little better, we can rush the passer a little more,” Bowles said. “Right now, we have some spurts where we did and then had some spurts where we didn’t, so we just have to be more consistent at it and the pass rush will be there.”

That’s a lot of confidence in two guys who have done nothing to inspire it so far this season.

And even if the season starts going south, it’s not like the duo has nothing to play for. Wilkerson, in particular, is in danger of being cut prior to next season if he doesn’t turn things around. The Jets would save money and cap space cutting him early next summer, and he’s giving the organization every reason to go in that direction.

As Bowles and a number of Jets players made clear following Sunday’s disappointing loss, the team is moving on and focusing on the next game. And right now, that’s all the disappointing Williams and Wilkerson can do. 

“Guys are getting close. We make action,” Bowles told reporters Monday. “Sometimes the ball is out, sometimes we have good rushes and the ball is just out. It just happens like that. We’ll keep working at it.”

This is the same doofus that rushed two and dropped back both of these guys into coverage on the Brady to Cooks play.

The guy has no answers, does not get the best of of his D players, does not know why he is failing and seems to put players in position to fail all too often.

And people think he is a good, dragging this bad team along to a .500 record due to his shrewd coaching.

At least Williams gives effort.  I think he’s just off for some reason. Injury, bad technique or “the system”...but he at least seems to care and is trying to make plays.

Mo on the other hand, good grief.  How do you show up to a meeting (if he does) and face his team and coaches with that effort on tape?

31st in the league in sacks. FO has us 18th against the run and dead last against the pass. It's been obvious with Mo since last year but it may be time for Jets fans to start considering that we vastly overrated Williams out of the gate. He's a good, not great player.

It is beyond preposterous how much this franchise invested into its defense for over a decade and we still can't generate a pass rush.

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

31st in the league in sacks. FO has us 18th against the run and dead last against the pass. It's been obvious with Mo since last year but it may be time for Jets fans to start considering that we vastly overrated Williams out of the gate. He's a good, not great player.

It is beyond preposterous how much this franchise invested into its defense for over a decade and we still can't generate a pass rush.

I love Williams, so maybe I'm being a homer, but I think the wrist is a bigger problem than we're being told. The effort is still there and you don't just stumble into 7 sacks. He's just getting sucked into blocks this year.

The pass rush thing is true, and so depressing.

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

At least Williams gives effort.  I think he’s just off for some reason. Injury, bad technique or “the system”...but he at least seems to care and is trying to make plays.

Mo on the other hand, good grief.  How do you show up to a meeting (if he does) and face his team and coaches with that effort on tape?

I guess I'm not the only one who noticed. I was keying on him last game. No push, he draws a single team coverage and is handled easily. Just pathetic performance. He looks like he has a serious  testosterone deficiency.

blah blah blah 

both Williams and Mo get constant doubles. The Jets take guys like David Bass and Kony Ealy off the street and start them. 

this isn't a MO or Leo problem. if the DE were legit the DT wouldn't be constantly doubled. There isn't a DT in the league who produces without some sort of actual starter next to him at DE. 

and by the way the Jets got 7 pressures on Brady it was the 4th most pressures on any QB last week. Pass rush is not really the problem with this team, scoring points on offense is the problem and it's been this way for as long as I can remember

Jets fans love to discuss the paper cuts on defense to avoid talking about the sucking chest wounds on offense. 

let's review they have no speed at RB when Powell is hurt (and he's always hurt) the only WR and TE left healthy can't get a call cause the refs hate them both with a passion of a 1000 suns and the best quarterback on the roster (by far) is Josh McCown. 

but sure let's fantasize about cutting Mo Wilkerson. Cause that will solve everything. 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

blah blah blah 

both Williams and Mo get constant doubles. The Jets take guys like David Bass and Kony Ealy off the street and start them. 

this isn't a MO or Leo problem. if the DE were legit the DT wouldn't be constantly doubled. There isn't a DT in the league who produces without some sort of actual starter next to him at DE. 

and by the way the Jets got 7 pressures on Brady it was the 4th most pressures on any QB last week. Pass rush is not really the problem with this team, scoring points on offense is the problem and it's been this way for as long as I can remember

Jets fans love to discuss the paper cuts on defense to avoid talking about the sucking chest wounds on offense. 

let's review they have no speed at RB when Powell is hurt (and he's always hurt) the only WR and TE left healthy can't get a call cause the refs hate them both with a passion of a 1000 suns and the best quarterback on the roster (by far) is Josh McCown. 

but sure let's fantasize about cutting Mo Wilkerson. Cause that will solve everything. 

Mo is not drawing a doubleteam. At least not last game. I was watching him on almost every play against the Pats. I

12 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Mo has mailed it in

and Leo was never great to begin with

This.  Leo is slightly above average.  When he contract is up, we offer fair market value at that position.  If he balks, good riddence.

The days of paying non superstars superstar money are over around here.

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

blah blah blah 

Wow, your so wrong it’s kinda scary.  Watch a little tape, Mo is not getting doubled at all.  Williams is in every play but not Mo, he is giving zero effort. He should and will get cut.  Worst contract since Sanchez.  

Oh, and we all know about the offenses problems, does that mean their can no topics on the defense?

We just played Tom Brady who was 20 of 38 for 52% completion. 257 yards, his lowest for the season so far. He threw 2 TDs and had 1 pick, and 1 pick dropped. 27 points scored by the #1 offense in the NFL by far which was aided by a PI call that put the Pats in the red zone.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I love Williams, so maybe I'm being a homer, but I think the wrist is a bigger problem than we're being told. The effort is still there and you don't just stumble into 7 sacks. He's just getting sucked into blocks this year.

He's also not getting any help from the turds on the line next to him, or the OLB position. Offenses begin their game planning with "how do we keep Leonard Williams from getting penetration" and after that don't need to do much, because Kacey and Bo-Bo suck at their jobs.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I dunno man. Great players make themselves known at all times on the field, like Jenkins and Revis at their best. It doesn’t take advanced numbers or even some YouTube review to pick apart if they are making that big of an impact on the field and when it comes to Williams it seems like there is too much searching for details. 

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He's also not getting any help from the turds on the line next to him, or the OLB position. Offenses begin their game planning with "how do we keep Leonard Williams from getting penetration" and after that don't need to do much, because Kacey and Bo-Bo suck at their jobs.

lmao @ Kacey and Bo-Bo, though I don't think it's fair in this case. We have one decent corner and zero NFL-caliber edge rushers. Bowles and Rodgers are both bad at their jobs for a whole host of reasons, but I'm not sure how any coach is supposed to magically summon a pass rush from this group.

28 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno man. Great players make themselves known at all times on the field, like Jenkins and Revis at their best. It doesn’t take advanced numbers or even some YouTube review to pick apart if they are making that big of an impact on the field and when it comes to Williams it seems like there is too much searching for details. 

It's possible he's a one-year wonder, but I still believe in the guy. That said, with the benefit of hindsight it sure looks like Beasley was the right pick there. Shoutout to the posters here who didn't need hindsight and called it at the time (I was not one of them). 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm stealing "Kacey and Bo-Bo"...:lol:

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

blah blah blah 

i think it's more how they're using these guys too.  i'm not sure if crushing the pocket as opposed to forming the pocket and opening gaps is what leo and wilk are supposed to be doing.  there's no glamour in just getting the job done in the trenches.  and kacy still has the dlinemen dropping back at times. if the sacks and pressures were being generated by guys like davis, ealy and lee nobody would care a single bit.  however, those videos by baldy did show wilk getting beaten pretty convincingly.

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah but he's Mac's big ticket player. 

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It's possible he's a one-year wonder, but I still believe in the guy. That said, with the benefit of hindsight it sure looks like Beasley was the right pick there. Shoutout to the posters here who didn't need hindsight and called it at the time (I was not one of them). 

I don't think he's a one-year wonder. He's clearly going to have a very good career. Just seems like his ceiling is more Shaun Ellis than anything else. And that's fine, it's just lame that it came at the expense of a 4-12 season in which we blew our shot at Mariota and an insane run of selecting exclusively DL for a half decade. Not as lame as sitting through a 5-11 season to land the second-best safety of a draft class, but still pretty lame.

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

We just played Tom Brady who was 20 of 38 for 52% completion. 257 yards, his lowest for the season so far. He threw 2 TDs and had 1 pick, and 1 pick dropped. 27 points scored by the #1 offense in the NFL by far which was aided by a PI call that put the Pats in the red zone.

Thank you.

But according to some Bowles is a "Dufus" because he is indeed getting these results with guys either playing subpar or being roookies.  

You cant make it up..... :)  

18 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you.

But according to some Bowles is a "Dufus" because he is indeed getting these results with guys either playing subpar or being roookies.  

You cant make it up..... :)  

I am sorry to have to explain this to you. You have been on this board long enough to know better.

1. A GM drafts a franchise QB in the 4th round the very first time - if not he is hot garbage

2. A GM never makes a mistake drafting a player; this is true even in Round 6 or 7. If a GM doesn't hit 99% of his draft picks, he is hot garbage

3. A player drafted after a player drafted by the Jets that has a good game is a pro-bowler; he would be a pro-bowler even if the Jets, Browns, or any other team drafted him as the team, scheme, coaching and teams that he has played has zero effect on a player's capability. Even if the Jet that was drafted before him is good/great - every great/good game another player has is a strike against him.

4. A good CB is never beat and never receives a PI (especially since the officiating is great and very consistent)

5. If a HC looses to any team (even if that team is superior, or has been together forever) that coach is hot garbage. If he makes a mistake that could have been avoided with hindsight, he is hot garbage. No quality HC ever takes a gamble or makes a mistake. No gamble that doesn't pay off, is a good gamble.

6. A player is either HOF or Hot garbage (sometimes a JAG); there are no good, very good, or quality role palyers.

7. If a player stinks the GM is hot garbage. If, however, we don't like the HC, it was his fault even though he doesn't draft

8. If a team is bad, or mediocre, the team is the worst team ever; the HC is the worst HC ever (Kottite included), and the GM is hot garbage.

9. If a team wins a game and the HC, GM, or owner is happy when the fans want a tank they are losers.

10. The Jets backup QB is the best QB ever and isn't getting a shot because the FO is stupid. If he finally gets his shot and falls flat on his face it is because, he didn't get a fair chance, didn't have good weapons, and was wasted on the bench and is now past his prime (or cold and needs more time); the HC is hot garbage for not realizing he should have played him sooner, and now doesn't realize that the current backup QB is even better then the previous one.

That is about it. I hope I didn't miss anything. Please refer to this post before posting ---- good grief :-)

5 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I am sorry to have to explain this to you. You have been on this board long enough to know better.

1. A GM drafts a franchise QB in the 4th round the very first time - if not he is hot garbage

2. A GM never makes a mistake drafting a player; this is true even in Round 6 or 7. If a GM doesn't hit 99% of his draft picks, he is hot garbage

3. A player drafted after a player drafted by the Jets that has a good game is a pro-bowler; he would be a pro-bowler even if the Jets, Browns, or any other team drafted him as the team, scheme, coaching and teams that he has played has zero effect on a player's capability. Even if the Jet that was drafted before him is good/great - every great/good game another player has is a strike against him.

4. A good CB is never beat and never receives a PI (especially since the officiating is great and very consistent)

5. If a HC looses to any team (even if that team is superior, or has been together forever) that coach is hot garbage. If he makes a mistake that could have been avoided with hindsight, he is hot garbage. No quality HC ever takes a gamble or makes a mistake. No gamble that doesn't pay off, is a good gamble.

6. A player is either HOF or Hot garbage (sometimes a JAG); there are no good, very good, or quality role palyers.

7. If a player stinks the GM is hot garbage. If, however, we don't like the HC, it was his fault even though he doesn't draft

8. If a team is bad, or mediocre, the team is the worst team ever; the HC is the worst HC ever (Kottite included), and the GM is hot garbage.

9. If a team wins a game and the HC, GM, or owner is happy when the fans want a tank they are losers.

10. The Jets backup QB is the best QB ever and isn't getting a shot because the FO is stupid. If he finally gets his shot and falls flat on his face it is because, he didn't get a fair chance, didn't have good weapons, and was wasted on the bench and is now past his prime (or cold and needs more time); the HC is hot garbage for not realizing he should have played him sooner, and now doesn't realize that the current backup QB is even better then the previous one.

That is about it. I hope I didn't miss anything. Please refer to this post before posting ---- good grief :-)

Thank you....

The thought and time you put into this answer means I have to give in!!! :) 

Go Jets!!

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Williams is a good player...but so far that's about it 

12 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

You forgot one thing - anytime the Jets win, they're the only team that has a cream-puff schedule. Other teams playing a very similar schedule are only winning due to their talent.

Case in point - the 3-3 Texans and the 3-3 Jets. Texans have beaten the Browns, Titans and Bengals; lost to Jax, NE and KC. Jets have beaten Cleveland, Miami and Jax; lost to Buf, NE and Oakland.

We have a cream puff schedule. Texans made the best draft pick ever (proving Rules 2 and 3 above in the process :D ). 

This narrative posed here by Jet fans that Leonard Williams is average is ridiculous. I don't know if an of you pay attention to the ENTIRE league but JJ Watt had ZERO sacks to his credit before getting injured for the season. Yes you read that right, ZERO! Oh by the way, he's out for the season AGAIN & has a HUGE CONTRACT. He also played with Mercilus & Clowney. 

Williams plays with Mo (who everyone is disparaging here & for good reason, he will be cut next year!), McClendon, a Steeler castoff (when do the Steelers ever let go of a defensive player that produces?), and David Bass & Kony Ealy, 2 guys fished off the waiver wire. Come on people, you have to be smarter than that.

The real problem is the NFL itself. Defensive players are vastly more athletic than their offensive counterparts on the Oline. The NFL has completely subverted the rules of blocking to keep their prescious QBs healthy. You see what happens to them when they get caught out of the pocket (see Aaron Rogers). 

Oline hold inside in this new NFL like there's no tomorrow. How else to you explain a guy as slow as Brady, that never leaves the pocket can throw in some games 50 times in the 2nd half & not get touched? The only reason he's been sacked more this year is teams have actually gotten leads, Brady lost Edelman & Gronk for a couple games, Amendola for 1, and Hogan is slow plus Cook & Brady to time to get on the same page. 

Until the Jets find a couple of pass rushers who can force the edges the middle will be packed in like a can of sardines. Also, i don't believe any interior DTs should get big money unless they are quick enough to also shoot gaps (Micheal Bennett & Aaron Donald types). If Leo contract ends & he wants 100 million? See ya! Only players the ilk of Reggie White are worth that kind of dough in today's NFL. I can't even stand to watch Mo anymore, and I'm very unhappy with Macc giving him so much money. I started threads a long time ago where I thought Mos sacks were disproportionately vs bad teams and game in bunches in a few games & he disappeared in too many others. Even GMs will have to adapt to the way the NFL has evolved. 

Every week on SNY Westhoff says they are playing him out of position. He should line up on the other side. And when he mentioned it to Williams he told Mike: "tell that to the coaches." Look, this isn't a fan like me who doesn't know anything saying it it's a long time respected NFL coach. 

Not sure what the problem is regarding Mo's and William's production, but I can assure you it isn't double teams.  J.J. Watt and every other high end pass rusher get double teamed every game but yet they all manage to remain productive and get their sacks. Mo looks slow and uninterested.  Can't figure out Williams.

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think this is 100% accurate. The Jets front office thought they were getting JJ Watt II, the best player in the draft, and so on.  Hes not. Guys with that kind of talent physically dominate unless they are injured. He doesnt do that. Its not even a silent line stat like a Haloti Ngata in his prime that just wrecked games even if it didnt show up all the time on the stat sheet. Half the time you barely know he is there. Hes probably more Shaun Ellis than JJ Watt. Nothing wrong with that as Ellis had a terrific career, but when you are making a luxury pick when you have no room for luxury because hes a special talent he has to be more than Ellis.  The Jets decision making in general when it has come to building a team is just terrible. All the team did was trade off Richardson and replace him with the same guy, spending two draft picks in the process to do it. Its so hard to believe that with all the holes on the team that the front office has gone DE, ILB, S in the first round.

56 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Every week on SNY Westhoff says they are playing him out of position. He should line up on the other side. And when he mentioned it to Williams he told Mike: "tell that to the coaches." Look, this isn't a fan like me who doesn't know anything saying it it's a long time respected NFL coach. 

Exactly, because Westhoff knows in this new NFL, holding is legal on the inside. Refs only see what happens on the edges mostly, that's why jumbo formations rarely work for us, Spread them out in this new NFL, you can get more seams for your RB that way too. Bowles still thinks it's 1997 & 2009 when Parcells and Rex were coaching. Sorry Todd, your trying to get 3rd & shorts with a sh*tty Oline! Spread the out, at least you might still run & find a lane.

22 minutes ago, pointman said:

No Snacks.. and now no one is eating on that D Line. A real nose tackle made a huge difference.

Planet Monsters, Unfortunatly we made the wrong choice. Do not pay a 3-4 end big money, unless it's Bruce Smith or JJ Watt. They are just glorified space eaters. Mo just stopped playing once he got paid. He needs to be IR'ed. 

Archived