Number 1 thing I noticed about Petty tonight

AFJF

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

When he had time to throw, it was far uglier than it should have been.

When pass protection fell apart and he had to improvise, he made some of his best throws/decision.

Odd.

No time to overthink.  Instinct takes over and just throw under duress.  

Yea, I mean he didn't play well tonight, and he isn't at the level of a starting NFL QB by a long shot (he should have been picked off 3 or 4 times).  However, he did show some toughness and resiliency, and his talent flashed at a few points which is always nice.

The guy is a 3 or 4 year project player, who desperately needs NFL reps.  I think he could be good one day, but lets be honest, he has a lot of work to do and the NFL isn't known for giving players a long time to develop.  The pocket presence is a big problem, the fact that his mechanics are up and down (which is why he has some perfect passes and then a second later balls sail on him) and the one read/stare down/throw it up thing will need to be addressed during the offseason.

I really do worry that he is so far behind the curve any changing of the coaching/GMs will basically end his career.

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

When pass protection fell apart and he had to improvise, he made some of his best throws/decision.

Odd.

i tend to agree.  it certainly seemed that way.  imp they needed to give him some roll outs and play action to go with powell's running.  he also too locked in on anderson.  he will need to get more comfortable with marshall and enunwa.

it was also good to see some throws to the te's.  asj made some nice catches.

Petty is a major project and has all the flaws that have been mentioned in this and other posts.

He is also big, strong, tough, competitive, has a good arm and seems like a hard worker/good guy.

He also has an NFL arm, so he can take an offense that looked dysfunctional under Fitz and add some pizazz to it.  So if you surround him with some good pieces, like an OL, running game and defense, he could be a bridge for awhile.

I don't think it was a coincidence that Powell played so well with Petty in.  The defense knew that Petty could through deep to Anderson, so the safeties had to respect that.

So I think this is another job of HC and OC ineptitude, because they overvalued the game manager (not) Fitz who has no arm an inexperienced QB with an arm.  With the roster the Jets had (young receivers who could go deep), the Jets were better off this year developing youth and playing a QB who could play Raider style.

It will be good to get Petty some reps for the next 3 games.   Unfortunately, we will not get as good of a look as we could because the Jets line is so bad.  Everyone needs to take that into account as we look forward.

Odd.

That's because he sucks. People keep trying to turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad because we're so desperate, but Bryce was beyond awful. Bryce has no concept of reading a D or going through possessions. Yes the line was bad at times, but the two need not be mutually exclusive. Bryce threw a couple prayers up to Robbie Anderson that got caught. He is nowhere near an NFL caliber QB. He's not even close. Going into next season with him or Hack as presumptive future starters would be a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

That's because he sucks. People keep trying to turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad because we're so desperate, but Bryce was beyond awful. Bryce has no concept of reading a D or going through possessions. Yes the line was bad at times, but the two need not be mutually exclusive. Bryce threw a couple prayers up to Robbie Anderson that got caught. He is nowhere near an NFL caliber QB. He's not even close. Going into next season with him or Hack as presumptive future starters would be a disaster.

There's no threat of that happening IMO.  It'll be another vet and/or draft pick come time for camp.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Petty is a major project and has all the flaws that have been mentioned in this and other posts.

He is also big, strong, tough, competitive, has a good arm and seems like a hard worker/good guy.

He also has an NFL arm, so he can take an offense that looked dysfunctional under Fitz and add some pizazz to it.  So if you surround him with some good pieces, like an OL, running game and defense, he could be a bridge for awhile.

I don't think it was a coincidence that Powell played so well with Petty in.  The defense knew that Petty could through deep to Anderson, so the safeties had to respect that.

So I think this is another job of HC and OC ineptitude, because they overvalued the game manager (not) Fitz who has no arm an inexperienced QB with an arm.  With the roster the Jets had (young receivers who could go deep), the Jets were better off this year developing youth and playing a QB who could play Raider style.

It will be good to get Petty some reps for the next 3 games.   Unfortunately, we will not get as good of a look as we could because the Jets line is so bad.  Everyone needs to take that into account as we look forward.

One more time.  Petty was hurt.  He was 3rd in line, as he should have been to replace Fitz.  Bowles went to Geno when he should have, while Petty was just getting back to the practice field.  Not anyone's fault Geno was injured in that game.  Petty started,when he was ready.  

There wasn't any HC or OC ineptitude.  It's a fanbase that thinks you snap your fingers and change the most important players on a team just because you want to.

57 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

He didn't suck yesterday. 

Will he struggle while he learns? Yes.  Far different than sucking. Or being nowhere near an NFL caliber QB.  Lighten up a little

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Odd.

In his post game presser, Petty even said he waited too long to confirm what he was seeing -- don't remember his exact comments, but he acknowledged that he needs to trust what he sees and make quicker decisions in the pocket.  He also acknowledged that he got away with a couple of throws he probably should not have tried.  Hopefully he learns from the experience and makes progress over these last few games.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Elli Manning has made a career out of doing that.

It is comical to say he sucks based on a couple of games. Is he the answer? Probably not, but at least give him a couple of more games to prove himself. Those games will be against bitter rivals (not the lowly niners) so if he does well it will be a good sign. 

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

In his post game presser, Petty even said he waited too long to confirm what he was seeing -- don't remember his exact comments, but he acknowledged that he needs to trust what he sees and make quicker decisions in the pocket.  He also acknowledged that he got away with a couple of throws he probably should not have tried.  Hopefully he learns from the experience and makes progress over these last few games.

Ray Lucas commented that it takes a few starts to trust yourself.  He's trying too hard to make the perfect play, waiting for the WR to get open instead of just throwing the ball.

It's to be expected.  All QBs go throw it

He wasn't great but he seemed at least competent (especially in the 2nd half). He is worth developing and should at least be a decent backup in the league. I would think he will continue to improve. I'm fine with signing a low-cost vet and then let petty and hack battle it out. Hack supposedly is more advanced than petty football-mind wise and his tools are as good if not better than petty. Who knows? Maybe Hack will really impress with a year of seasoning under his belt?  

57 minutes ago, AFJF said:

There's no threat of that happening IMO.  It'll be another vet and/or draft pick come time for camp.

I sure hope not.  There are only so many reps to go around and the new CBA limits the off season reps even further.   Next spring / summer should be all petty, hack, and a camp arm.   If the team sucks then 2018 is the year of the Rosen one.  

Unless this team breaks the bank on cousins the best they could do with a vet is Foles.  There is nothing better out there.  I'd just assume see what we have with petty and hack.  

Good news really. Going through possessions is liable to get a QB 6 months to 4 years for breaking and entering or worse

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The bold is exactly why I was for not signing Fitz and having Geno start.  When/if Geno failed with these weapons then it would be Petty time, much as happened this year anyway.  Just shoot me but I wanted to see Geno with weapons over no arm Fitz.    

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No time to overthink.  Instinct takes over and just throw under duress.  

This.

Same issue he commented on in preseason. He was struggling in camp, had a bottom-out awful day, the next day he came in and just let instinct take over and he looked good. Missing all those games and practice reps with injury interrupted that "light going on" momentum for him. A mild regression is fair, and hopefully he snaps back to where he was around the time he was playing preseason games and looking very promising.

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Odd.

This happens coming from spread offenses like Baylor... That is why it is so tough for these guys to succeed in the pro level.  They don't know how to handle sitting in a pocket because they literally have never done it before. They see the plays running around better and feel more comfortable. He has a lot more work to do this off-season.

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

This happens coming from spread offenses like Baylor... That is why it is so tough for these guys to succeed in the pro level.  They don't know how to handle sitting in a pocket because they literally have never done it before. They see the plays running around better and feel more comfortable. He has a lot more work to do this off-season.

Yup...this is why Bowles should've had him doing it weeks ago.  He's gonna need a ton of reps.  Too many were wasted on Fitz.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yup...this is why Bowles should've had him doing it weeks ago.  He's gonna need a ton of reps.  Too many were wasted on Fitz.

Not necessarily, I understand the want to put him in, but I can understand now why the coaching staff wanted to wait... You don't want to ruin the kid by putting him in real action when he is still skittish in the pocket.

9 hours ago, thshadow said:

It seemed like his 2 best throws were "chuck it up in Anderson's direction".  So IMO not exactly awe-inspiring.  

But at least he got it done.  Maybe he'll improve as he plays more.

well Fitzy's best throws were the same but to BMarshall.

Another thing of note was how the team responded to Petty.  Sure seemed like the team was cool with losing and getting this season over with as easily as possible.

Then as Petty began to get a bit more comfortable and the team noticed some effort/skill/heart at the QB position, the team definitely stepped it up.  Even the defense started playing.  We even saw a Revis pass breakup!

It amazing how one guy can affect the whole team.

One thing I liked about Petty didn't even occur during the game. Watching the post game press conferences through the years, I've gotten accustomed to Jet qb's coming to the podium in t-shirts, sweatshirts, jerseys, maybe even a hoodie.

Out comes Petty, wearing a SUIT AND TIE. He knows what is expected of him. He knows, as the qb, he is the leader. The voice of the team. He wants to project a positive image for himself and the organization.

Obviously, looking the part, won't make him the face of the franchise for the next 15 years. However, continuing to be the first and last to leave practice, being liked and respected by his teammates, pushing himself to be better, will help. Time will tell.

Petty may still be learning how to be an NFL quarterback, but he is very advanced in behaving like a professional.

Archived