Manish Mehta very strongly claims Jets will not draft QB Lamar Jackson.

Jetsbb

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-mailbag-gang-green-views-louisville-qb-lamar-jackson-article-1.3648259

I have a better chance of being drafted to quarterback the 2018 Jets than Lamar Jackson.

Repeat after me: The Jets will NEVER draft Jackson to try to solve their quarterback quandary. It's not going to happen, folks.

The way the Jets see it (and I wholeheartedly agree), there will be plenty of college signal callers in the upcoming draft better equipped to find success at the next level. The Jets, like many other teams, frankly, don't believe that Jackson will thrive as an NFL quarterback.

Remember: College quarterback's stats aren't an indicator of pro success.

Here are the questions that matter:

1) Will the player's skill set translate at the next level?

2) How much capacity for growth is there with good coaching?

3) What kind of scheme will maximize the player's strengths?

4) Are you willing to run that scheme if you don't already do? If so, can you achieve sustainable success in that scheme?

Jackson deserves plenty of credit for his achievements at Louisville, but he's simply not in the same stratosphere as Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Josh Allen as a pro prospect. So, don't waste your breath even discussing the possibility of Jackson being in the conversation for their first-round pick in the upcoming draft. He won't be.

The notion that the Jets would even consider Jackson in the second round is high comedy. Gang Green simply isn't going to invest a premium pick (first three rounds) on him. Period.

And you know what? They shouldn't, because it would be a wasted selection.

I could argue there has never been a reporter with less credibility then Manish, and this nonsense backs that up.

Manish has no contacts in the organization, and looks to find the most click-bait stuff he can in the hopes of keeping his job.

He wouldnt know the organizations feelings on lamar jackson even if he took his time to do his job

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Big Macc’s second round history certainly supports this claim.

2nd rounder Christian Hackenberg  says HELLO! 

No idea if Jackson is good or bad or something in between. Sad part  here somebody important at Florham Park is even bothering to read this drivel. Mehta is a tool.  If the Jets had a shred of balls they'd ban his sorry ass from the premises. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

2nd rounder Christian Hackenberg  says HELLO! 

No idea if Jackson is good or bad or something in between. Sad part  here somebody important at Florham Park is even bothering to read this drivel. Mehta is a tool.  If the Jets had a shred of balls they'd ban his sorry ass from the premises. 

I watched him play a couple times and I can assure you he would even be fun to watch if he ultimately doesn’t succeed. Honestly if they draft this kid and kept McCowm to ease him into the fray I would be ok with it. Nobody going to keep this kid off the field. 

So, there are 32 teams in the NFL.  Only 1 of those 32 can draft a player.  Therefore, there is about a 97% chance that someone other than the Jets will draft Jackson.  And in April, assuming he goes somewhere else, Manish will write "as I said in November"...

Then, if Jackson turns out to be a good pro, he will write his article bashing the Jets for passing on him.  And they call this journalism.

45 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I could argue there has never been a reporter with less credibility then Manish, and this nonsense backs that up.

Manish has no contacts in the organization, and looks to find the most click-bait stuff he can in the hopes of keeping his job.

He wouldnt know the organizations feelings on lamar jackson even if he took his time to do his job

I was about to write the same thing.

Mehta literally makes crap up out of thin air.   I don't know anything about this kid, which makes me as qualified to write this article as Mehta.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

isn't jackson kind of like the brad smith type?  he could probably play as an option type back/wr much like smith did with the jets.  but he's not going to be an every down qb.

Yikes. Someone that hasn't watch the Cards at all this year.

48 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It’s not just the organization. It’s the general look of a QB that is accepted around the league, most likely falsely 

Finally had a chance to watch the Red Zone this past weekend because of our bye week. The overall QB play in the NFL, save for about 6-7 guys, is horrible. These college kids can't possibly be any worse than some of the crap playing now.

Just now, rangerous said:

nfl is a huge step up from college.  gino toretta won a heisman.  rick mirer was the no. 1 or 2 pick in his draft.  enough said.

Again, you haven't watched Jackson this year. It's obvious. He's shown incredible improvement as a passer.

2 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

How can i apply for Mehta’s job? Is it like a competition?

NYDN CoNTeST:

Write 200 words, fiction, Jets-related. Make up a theory which is probably correct, but not because of any insight or knowledge—just because the odds are naturally against it. You have a full day complete. Go!

The only real requirements are you have to 1) Be able to work on Sundays 2) Travel to Florham Park during the week and 3) Not want to make a lot of money.

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

isn't jackson kind of like the brad smith type?  he could probably play as an option type back/wr much like smith did with the jets.  but he's not going to be an every down qb.

Closest thing to Vick coming out I think.

Well those main points he listed were the same ones people listed when talking about why Deshaun Watson was no good last year.

I have not watched Jackson as much as the other college QBs this year but I will say one thing.  They could amputate both of his legs an one arm and he'd still be a better 2nd round pick than Hackenburg.

Is this guy actually reporting on some kind of inside info?

FYI Jackson is my favorite QB in college. I never watch college football because I hate rooting for a prospect and then see them go to another team and basically hate them for their career. But Jackson is by far my favorite

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Finally had a chance to watch the Red Zone this past weekend because of our bye week. The overall QB play in the NFL, save for about 6-7 guys, is horrible. These college kids can't possibly be any worse than some of the crap playing now.

Or you look at it like this....the QB play you are seeing comes from the same place you are looking for our next savior

4 hours ago, section314 said:

If you want to see disturbing watch most college defenses this year.   Woof!

39 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Usual twisted article to make it sound like there is some kind of inside info to the non-critical reader.

All the article really says is Manish doesn't think highly of Jackson therefore the Jets shouldn't draft him high.

Manish is basically a full managing partner of the Jets at this point, so

Archived