Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

I dont get why this is such a good article.

He speaks with common sense. And none of it is verifiable.

And like I pointed out earlier, he shows ignorance about the difference between paying Kirk 60M and his cap # actually being 60M.

I think people are liking this piece simply because it's what you want to read. Sorry

58 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

For the record.

Manish is Manish but he has been 100% on point for the past few months. He clearly has a reliable inside source now.

Doesn't mean those "sources" are any good at scouting nor coaching. And if they're wasting more than 30 seconds on Lil'Manish they are in fact objectively morons. 

41 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

He’s a win-now AND win-later quarterback.

He is coming into the prime of his career. If he pans out, we quite possibly have the best QB to put on a Jets uniform, with all due respect to Joe Willie. Namath transcended the game for a brief moment in time. He left an indelible mark on the game of football and how we ended up idolizing players as rock stars. He brought us glory, but he didn't have all that great of a career. If we sign Cousins, I sure hope that this doesn't turn out to be a disaster. 

With these cap numbers, Jets would have 2 or at most 3 years before this insane contract would leave no money for anything else.  And for comparison stake, Stafford and his $50 million was so great it  got his coach fired. I guess we could hope? 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Another Cousins thread for you whiners.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-feel-signing-qb-kirk-cousins-article-1.3835520

How the Jets really feel about signing impending free-agent QB Kirk Cousins

The speculation surrounding the Jets’ eventual pursuit of Kirk Cousins has prompted some much-needed comedic relief during the NFL’s silly season.

There have been some whoppers in the past week or so. If you didn’t know any better, you’d think Woody and Christopher Johnson were willing to offer an ownership stake to the soon-to-be free-agent quarterback.

Heck, why stop there? Why not just change MetLife Stadium to Cousins Coliseum?

After all, that would be as probable as some of the unfounded stuff I’ve read in recent days that paints a wholly inaccurate picture of this situation.

First and foremost, the Jets absolutely would love to sign Cousins in the coming weeks, according to actual team sources. He’s a win-now AND win-later quarterback entering the prime of his career. There’s a large enough window (at least five seasons) to win with the soon-to-be 30-year-old signal caller to make it more than worthwhile to make a strong investment in him, but let’s be clear: The Jets are not going to try to bring him aboard by any means necessary.

The notion that the organization will go to any lengths to sign him is patently false. There’s a difference between making a strong and aggressive move for a player (aka – an all-in mindset) and actually recklessly overspending. The Jets aren’t going to hand Cousins a blank check, according to team sources.

That would just be plain ol’ dumb business.

Truth be told, some folks on One Jets Drive have gotten a kick out of the unfounded rumors that they’re willing to break their budget for Cousins (even though they have prioritized him). There’s a distinct difference between paying the man and adopting some of the tactics being proposed in recent days.

There’s little doubt that Cousins would be a terrific fit for new offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, but the idea of paying him $60 million in the first year of a blockbuster deal is beyond ludicrous. Speculation that the Jets would be willing to absorb a $60 million cap hit in 2018 for Cousins so they could free up future cap space in subsequent years to build around the quarterback simply isn’t true, according to team insiders. It makes for good headlines, but it isn’t rooted in reality. It’s actually illogical on myriad fronts.

By rule, the cap hit in the second year of a deal must be at least 50 percent of the Year 1 cap charge. So, this fairytale $60 million cap hit scenario would mean that Cousins would have to count at least $30 million against the Jets 2019 cap.

But, hey, this nonsense gets people talking, right?

The comps will give you a good sense of the general structure of Cousins’ deal. Jimmy Garoppolo will make $42.6 million in the first year of his recently signed five-year, $137.5 million extension. The 49ers will absorb a $37 million salary cap hit in 2018 and subsequent cap charges of $20 million, $26.6 million, $26.9 million and $27 million. Here’s the most important part of the contract: Jimmy G will pocket $86.4 million in the first three years of the deal.

Matthew Stafford’s five-year, $135 million deal from last summer provides another window into Cousins’ future. The Lions paid Stafford $51 million (including a $50 million signing bonus) in 2017, while absorbing a $16.5 million cap hit (lowering his base salary to $1 million in the first year of the deal helped keep the cap number relatively low). Stafford’s 2018 earnings drop to $16.5 million, but his cap number increases by 61 percent to $26.5 million. He will pocket $87 million in the first three years of the deal.

Cousins will get a comparable contract. The Jets, who will have more than $90 million in available cap space after Mo Wilkerson and Matt Forte are cut in the coming weeks, aren’t going to make a cursory inquiry. They’ll be real players for Cousins, but they are not going to wildly overspend or make history by offering him a fully guaranteed four- or five-year deal, according to team sources.

Gang Green believes that there will be about three other strong suitors. On the surface, the Broncos, Browns, Vikings, Cardinals and Bills have their own quarterback dilemmas, but will they all be serious bidders for Cousins’ services? The Jets don’t think so. Some of those teams will address their signal caller needs in the draft.

Breaking news: Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield are going to be on NFL teams in a few months.

The Jets want Cousins. They’ll make a strong, fair proposal and plan accordingly if he goes elsewhere.

In the meantime, enjoy reading the comics.  

so basically he argues against his own and other stupid jets writers ideas? I swear we are the only team who has writers that actively root against. belittle or otherwise make fun of our own team/fans. It would be nice to have people that actually like the team write about them.

This whole article is "stupid jets fans you so stupid", the team will make an aggressive push for cousins

Well thanks, that clears it up.

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

With these cap numbers, Jets would have 2 or at most 3 years before this insane contract would leave no money for anything else. 

I don' t think that is true.  26.5ish is high but in 2-3 should be on the reasonable side for a team with a QB on their 2+ contract.  Teams like that need to draft well.

To the extent possible, the Jets should try and bring his out year number in below 25 and pay him more upfront.  

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

With these cap numbers, Jets would have 2 or at most 3 years before this insane contract would leave no money for anything else.  And for comparison stake, Stafford and his $50 million was so great it  got his coach fired. I guess we could hope? 

The opposite would be true. Years 1 and 2 high. Following years, low(ish)

57 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He has had laser accuracy since the offseason began. I won’t take that away from him. He straight called the Morton firing a week and a half before it happened. He was on point about Wilkerson. He has someone on One Jets Drive telling him quality info.

Who told him Bowlcrap was a better coach then Marone? I'd like to meet that person.

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

Appreciate that you took the time.

Ah, I see where some of our fundamental disagreement then lies.  If you think Darnold, Rosen, or others will be Top 10 Franchise QB's within say, a year of their being drafted, I can understand a preference to drafting (I don't agree this will happen, obviously).

I don't see the difference between "showhorning in a FA veteran" and "shoehorning in a greehorn rookie freshfaced from being big fish in small pond to being the hope and dreams of a beleagured franchise" tbqh.  If anything, the Vet has already faced down that pressure and survived to BE a big $$ FA, the rookie....well, they had fun at being BMOC at college so far.

Agreed.  I'm on record I would have fired the staff after last offseason.

I still don;t see the loss you're seeing.  Our options:

A. Sign Cousins, sign multiple FA's, draft 1st round, 2 2nd Round, + rest of draft

B. Draft a QB #1 (with a trade up likely required), draft a few late round camp fodder picks after you lose your #1 and both #2's, sign multiple FA's.

Well, I'd have been quite happy with Deshaun Watson, if you recall.  I think Watson is and was materially superior prospect to any of these top 4 2018 prospects.  Darnold is a USC bust-to-be, USC QB's simply do not succed at the pro level and haven't since Carson Palmer.  Rosen isn't focused enough and is seriously injury risk.  Mayfield is a 20% success/80% failure longshot at the pro level.  Allen, yeah, no.  I'm simply not spending two #1's and two #2's to get these guys.  Not with this roster, we need the players more than longshot QB prospects.

Well, I respect your view, but fundamentally disagree.  Trading up, given the likely cost, is a suicidal move for an underwhelming prospect class.  It removes assets (likely three of them this year at least) than should be starting players, and replaces them with a single QB we'd be tied to for five years, better or worse, and I predict worse if it's Darnold or Rosen.

Signing Cousins is high (but market value) cost, low risk.  He is a proven Top 10 QB, a 4,000 yard QB right now, no waiting needed.  It saves #6 and both 2nd Rounders to build around him AND still leaves us with plenty of FA dollars to spend on what limited appropriate FA's will shake loose and actually hit the market.

I'll stress again, had the Jets done what I wanted, we'd have Deshaun Watson and Connor Cook as our #1/#2 QB's this year, Mangold would still e our Center, and our Head Coach would not be Bowles.  Take of that what you will, lol.:lol:

If you're not high on the QB crop -- then we're arm wrestling for peanuts. If Deshaun Watson (who i'm guilty of being hesitant with last year) was possibly available at #3, me and you would have a lot more common ground here. 

32 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Just for that I got another one i’m about to post. I’ll be sure to tag you.

Your thread about how the Jets may not break all contract conventions merges rather nicely with your thread about how the Jets may break all contract conventions. No need to purposely spam the board on top of that. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Your thread about how the Jets may not break all contract conventions merges rather nicely with your thread about how the Jets may break all contract conventions. No need to purposely spam the board on top of that. 

Spam the board? Are you serious right now dude? There was a report they would pay a lot of money. Then there was a report that the entire thing is false. It gets to more people if you make separate threads. These threads weren’t the same thing. You can ban me if you want to let johnnysd’s request, I think that would be pretty pointless though. I haven’t done anything wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Spam the board? Are you serious right now dude? There was a report they would pay a lot of money. Then there was a report that the entire thing is false. It gets to more people if you make separate threads. These threads weren’t the same thing. You can ban me if you want to let johnnysd’s request, I think that would be pretty pointless though. I haven’t done anything wrong. 

I'm not banning you. I merged your very like threads, though, and didn't appreciate your threat to post more Cousins threads just to piss off another member of the board, which is the only reason why I bothered commenting to you at all. 

Just now, slats said:

I'm not banning you. I merged your very like threads, though, and didn't appreciate your threat to post more Cousins threads just to piss off another member of the board, which is the only reason why I bothered commenting to you at all. 

It was just in spite of what he said. I dont appreciate being told I should be banned. Don’t feel like the threads I have posted as of recent have been soo annoying. I’ve posted variety of things within the past few days spanning from scouting reports analytics and offensive line breakdowns. Just because the guy doesn’t want anything to do with Cousins doesn’t mean there isn’t news on him to be posted. I find the two threads quite different . . . Ehh whatever. You are the mod, not me. I’ll let it go.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

By rule, the cap hit in the second year of a deal must be at least 50 percent of the Year 1 cap charge. So, this fairytale $60 million cap hit scenario would mean that Cousins would have to count at least $30 million against the Jets 2019 cap.

But, hey, this nonsense gets people talking, right?

I don't under stand the bolded, does he believe it would be a short term deal thus making $30M ridiculous? We absolutely have the money to pay him $30M year 2, I mean he's projected to get $30M per year anyway regardless. The biggest benefit to signing Cousins to the crazy amount of money he'll get is because you get at least 3-4 years of affordable money. If they are looking at a 4 year deal with that much money then I think I am 100% off the Cousins bandwagon.

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Manish isn't wrong.

The offer will, without a doubt, be large...but it won't be the ridiculous "60 mil in year 1" offer and it won't be fully guaranteed.  We were never going in with a "blank check" mindset and even Cimini knew that when he wrote that we'll do "whatever it takes".  Rich knows what grabs headlines in February.  

We're gonna be very aggressive with our recruitment of him and our pitch.  As of now, signing Kirk is the ideal scenario.  However, there are plenty of other routes we're willing to take should his demands in order to sign here get unreasonable.

I’d love to hear what that pitch is. If they sell Cousins, can we know the plan too?! 

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Another Cousins thread for you whiners.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-feel-signing-qb-kirk-cousins-article-1.3835520

How the Jets really feel about signing impending free-agent QB Kirk Cousins

So, is this how crazy the offseason has been.  Manish is now the voice of reason.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Manish isn't wrong.

The offer will, without a doubt, be large...but it won't be the ridiculous "60 mil in year 1" offer and it won't be fully guaranteed.  We were never going in with a "blank check" mindset and even Cimini knew that when he wrote that we'll do "whatever it takes".  Rich knows what grabs headlines in February.  

We're gonna be very aggressive with our recruitment of him and our pitch.  As of now, signing Kirk is the ideal scenario.  However, there are plenty of other routes we're willing to take should his demands in order to sign here get unreasonable.

I'm sensing McCarron or Keenum (or McCown again) followed by drafting a QB early if no Cousins

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, King P said:

I'm sensing McCarron or Keenum (or McCown again) followed by drafting a QB early if no Cousins

If we don't get Cousins I'm expecting to re-sign McCown for a year and draft a QB at 6.  I think that would be the perfect situation for any young QB coming in here.  McCown is like a coach on the field but he's not good enough to hold back a young guy if they light it up in camp and show they are ready to play.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I just don’t get signing another mediocre veteran qb so we can go 5-11 again while the #6 pick warms the bench 

McCarron I could see because I think he falls in line with a Glennon + Trubisky type offseason. Keenum IMO doesn't make sense because he should be able to command more given his sample size.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

McCarron I could see because I think he falls in line with a Glennon + Trubisky type offseason. Keenum IMO doesn't make sense because he should be able to command more given his sample size.

McCarron wants to be a starter and I think the difference is that Glennon was blindsided by what the Bears did.

Johnny Manziel was on a podcast last week and one of the interesting things he said is how little structure the Browns had in developing him and that he had no idea what it took to be a pro QB until...................Josh Mccown got there.  He went on to praise mccown and how he taught him how to study, what to watch on film, basically how to be a pro QB.  Mccown would be a great mentor to have here as long as bowles knows he is here as a backup

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, BCJet said:

McCarron wants to be a starter and I think the difference is that Glennon was blindsided by what the Bears did.

Johnny Manziel was on a podcast last week and one of the interesting things he said is how little structure the Browns had in developing him and that he had no idea what it took to be a pro QB until...................Josh Mccown got there.  He went on to praise mccown and how he taught him how to study, what to watch on film, basically how to be a pro QB.  Mccown would be a great mentor to have here as long as bowles knows he is here as a backup

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

i can easily see this scenario play out:   jets go all in on cousins, initially it looks like he is a lock to come here but then he listens to others and is pursuaded to go to denver.  then mccags scrambles/panics, signs mccarron, who thinks he'll compete for the starting job.  just what he's looking for.  then the jets draft either josh allen or mayfield, and then re-sign mccown after the draft to mentor the rookie.  so now mccarron is screwed, b/c mccown has the lockerroom and the coach's favoritism, the qb of the future is being groomed (presumably) and mccarron is screwed.  and mccags will sign him b/c there are no guarantees that they'll draft a qb so they can't go into the draft with just mccown.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

If the Vikings pass on Keenum that tells every other GM that Keenum isn't much more than a glorified backup. And Keenum's sample size is many years of nothing-ness followed by one incredible run. That's not exactly the kind of sample size that is going to get you big money and a guaranteed starters job anywhere. 

The reality is that guys like Keenum/Bradford/Mccarron/Bridgewater are all guys that can be signed while still targeting a QB in the top 10. No one is signing these guys to be the long term answers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Yea I completely agree. I think McCown will be a Jet this year whether it is as a QB in front of a rookie or a QB coach with Cousins. I think that is why Bates is the QB coach right now.

56 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i can easily see this scenario play out:   jets go all in on cousins, initially it looks like he is a lock to come here but then he listens to others and is pursuaded to go to denver.  then mccags scrambles/panics, signs mccarron, who thinks he'll compete for the starting job.  just what he's looking for.  then the jets draft either josh allen or mayfield, and then re-sign mccown after the draft to mentor the rookie.  so now mccarron is screwed, b/c mccown has the lockerroom and the coach's favoritism, the qb of the future is being groomed (presumably) and mccarron is screwed.  and mccags will sign him b/c there are no guarantees that they'll draft a qb so they can't go into the draft with just mccown.

Yea and we'd be able to cut McCarron after year 1. I think McCarron understands he may not be "the answer" where ever he goes and will build that into a contract. Next year is more of an audition year more than anything or insurance in case a team like us or the Crdinals can't draft a QB/doesn't want to trade up for a QB.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If the Vikings pass on Keenum that tells every other GM that Keenum isn't much more than a glorified backup. And Keenum's sample size is many years of nothing-ness followed by one incredible run. That's not exactly the kind of sample size that is going to get you big money and a guaranteed starters job anywhere. 

The reality is that guys like Keenum/Bradford/Mccarron/Bridgewater are all guys that can be signed while still targeting a QB in the top 10. No one is signing these guys to be the long term answers. 

See I think it would more-so be the Vikings giving Teddy the 1st Round Tender ($4M) and then going after Cousins in FA, thus allowing Keenum to go elsewhere. If the Vikings miss out on Cousins then they still have the QB they drafted. If I had to pick a team that makes sense for Keenum it is either Cleveland where they would still take a QB at 1 or 4 or to Arizona where they still may take a QB but won't trade up. I see him as a good QB to have for 2-3 years as a rookie learns and still is good enough to play competent football. Think an expensive McCown with the potential to still be a franchise guy because of his age.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

See I think it would more-so be the Vikings giving Teddy the 1st Round Tender ($4M) and then going after Cousins in FA, thus allowing Keenum to go elsewhere. If the Vikings miss out on Cousins then they still have the QB they drafted. If I had to pick a team that makes sense for Keenum it is either Cleveland where they would still take a QB at 1 or 4 or to Arizona where they still may take a QB but won't trade up. I see him as a good QB to have for 2-3 years as a rookie learns and still is good enough to play competent football. Think an expensive McCown with the potential to still be a franchise guy because of his age.

Agreed. All i was saying is that a team that signs Keenum could easily go after Allen/Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield in the draft. Like you said, if Keenum lights it up you can either stick with Keenum or trade him for some picks  like the Eagles did with Bradford because they saw Wentz was the answer.  

• Sympathy 1