Report: Jets to Target Bridgewater if Cousins Likes Vikes

JetNation

Teddy-B.jpg

With free agent quarterback Kirk Cousins set to visit the Minnesota Vikings where he’s expected to sign huge contract, the Jets are reportedly prepared to move on to their “Plan B” which is apparently Vikings free agent quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

Dianna Russini of ESPN is reporting that a source confirmed as much earlier today.

While Bridgewater has done some positive things in his short career, there are some things that will undoubtedly irk Jets fans.  First is the fact that he lacks the arm strength to contend with harsh northeast winters, and more importantly, he hasn’t played any meaningful football in two years due to a horrific knee injury that he suffered two seasons ago.

If Bridgewater is in fact the fallback plan, the Jets can’t rule out the possibility of using the sixth overall pick on a quarterback come draft time.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ZG0tK659yPo

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

While Bridgewater has done some positive things in his short career, there are some things that will undoubtedly irk Jets fans.  First is the fact that he lacks the arm strength to contend with harsh northeast winters, and more importantly, he hasn’t played any meaningful football in two years due to a horrific knee injury that he suffered two seasons ago.

His only good year (2015) of his two years starting to-date was playing behind an in-prime Adrian Peterson (with almost 1,500 yards rushing, 200+ yards receiving) on a run dominated team.

He's never thrown more than 14 TD's.  He's never had less than 15 Turnovers (INT+Fumbles).  He's basically a 1-1 TD/INT guy. 

He blew apart nearly everything a knee could blow apart.  Without being touched.

Hasn't played a meaningful down in two full years.

The only meaningless down he played last year he threw an INT.

Is this really the best we can do?  

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

His only good year (2015) of his two years starting to-date was playing behind an in-prime Adrian Peterson (with almost 1,500 yards rushing, 200+ yards receiving) on a run dominated team.

He's never thrown more than 14 TD's.  He's never had less than 15 Turnovers (INT+Fumbles).  He's basically a 1-1 TD/INT guy. 

He blew apart nearly everything a knee could blow apart.  Without being touched.

Good God I hope not. There was talk that they might have had to amputate his leg at that time.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sounds like our guy!

I have no issue with signing Bridgewater, with the very clear caveat that it has absolutely no impact on their addressing of the position in the draft.  The team absolutely needs one veteran added onto the roster at the position, and while the odds are likely against him, he does present the very uncommon circumstances of being young with upside, and likely on the cheap side for a quarterback.

Now if they give him a monster contract or completely commit to him as starter, that's an entirely different story, but we can argue about the Jets' future screw-ups later.  If looked at in a vacuum, it's not such a bad idea.

Of course. Lets choose the most risk filled, worst option out there. Our FO is just clueless. How in all that is holy did we extend these guys. Unless you sign Bridgewater to a vet minimum contract it is a stupid signing. He was never really good and his injury was horrific. He's weak armed and really only good at slants. Perfect for an outdoor NE team. Whatever. 

The Jets just refuse to be aggressive and insist on building the team like it is 1972. No vision whatsoever.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, it might guarantee us the first overall next year. Not the worst thing to happen to us. 

4 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Dont want him or McCown. But these 2 pussys ruuning this team are deathly afraid of starting/drafting high, a rookie QB. Its obvious now more than ever.

Youre right.  We should draft a QB and thats it.  No back ups or just Hack and/or Petty.  We shouldnt also sign a vet. Because that would be stupid

I really liked Bridgewater coming out of college, probably more than most people did. That said, you can't count on him at this point to be anything more than a backup/hold the fort type guy. Even when healthy, he never really looked all that great, and his knee is a serious concern.

14 minutes ago, jetsons said:

As of now there's NO QB worthy of the #1 overall pick next year... 

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As opposed to last year at this time when people said their was 8 of them

Yeah, things change drastically

I will be happy w/ teddy OR McCown and a 1st rd drafted QB.  I think Teddy and a pick will be ideal as teddy is still young and has upside so it gives us 2 chances to solve our long term QB problems but I'd be happy w/ McCown and a pick as well.  These were always our best options.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I will be happy w/ teddy OR McCown and a 1st rd drafted QB.  I think Teddy and a pick will be ideal as teddy is still young and has upside so it gives us 2 chances to solve our long term QB problems but I'd be happy w/ McCown and a pick as well.  These were always our best options.

I would prefer Bridgewater or McCarron to McCown. We saw the best of McCown last season. I really hope they move on.

45 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He cant play anymore.  Wasnt even on the vikes active roster at the end of the season.

This guy was a Jag pre injury and now cant play.

and we will sign him.  Ugh!

he was an ascending young QB that the Vikings had high hopes for then he suffered a major injury.  he was just beginning to get healthy last season, it would have made no sense to have him as a #2 QB if all 3 Qbs were healthy.  IF he's healthy he can be a good QB in this league and he'd give us 2 chances to solve the QB situation along w/ a draft pick while also coming cheap. Cousins would have solved our QB situation for 3 years until he wanted another new deal but he chose Minnesota so we didn't really have a chance.  How many times in the last 10 years or so have teams won w/ non elite QBs?  NYG twice, Bal, SF made one, Philly, Denver(Peyton was mediocre when they won a few years ago), ...  Teddy may never be healthy again but he's a worthy gamble along w/ a high pick at QB.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

I would prefer Bridgewater or McCarron to McCown. We saw the best of McCown last season. I really hope they move on.

I don't disagree, either of those guys should come relatively cheap and we'd still take a QB high so that gives us 2 chances to solve the long term QB issue but I'd have no problem w/ McCown.  He is LOVED by his teammates and he can be a great mentor for a young QB.

Archived