Rosen, Darnold, or this trade was an epic fail!

Lupz27

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it’s gonna be ROSEN. The browns can go either way at 1, Barkley or Darnold, the vaGiants are goin Barkley or trading down I think. So let’s say they trade with the bills , the bills go Rosen or Allen or mayfield. I’m thinking we still get Rosen, or mayfield.  No matter what we get a QB.  Hopefully we don’t get the Ryan Leaf.  We get the Manning.  Nothing is guaranteed but at least we have a shot.  At 6 we might not. 

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Then he is their guy and I will definitely get behind him. But if I’m the guy send the pick in..it’s gotta be Rosen.

I agree, whoever they pick I will behind 100%. The only thing that scares me about Rosen is his injury history. I can't comment about rumors concerning his issues with coaches, and his possible lack of passion for the game etc, since they are not facts that I can confirm. 

28 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I agree, whoever they pick I will behind 100%. The only thing that scares me about Rosen is his injury history. I can't comment about rumors concerning his issues with coaches, and his possible lack of passion for the game etc, since they are not facts that I can confirm. 

Yeah those are concerning, but I wouldn’t be able to help myself if i were the general manager. I’d take the risk every time on this one. Those injuries could be nothing or they could be something. You just don’t know.

11 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Draft Barkley lol. Bowles wants to run more then any other team in nfl. He can also be a good short receiver out of backfield. Good for any type of qb. I want darnold or Rosen. But I’m not sold on Allen. Mac may not be either. They have been rumored to like Barkley. He could be 3rd on the depth chart. And he is definitely #1 on all boards, we know Mac loves BPA ha

There is zero chance the Jets take anyone but a QB at 3. 

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There is zero chance the Jets take anyone but a QB at 3. 

i disagree ... this can go SO many ways.  If their top two QBs are off the board ... the can take Barkley ... OR ... they can trade down w someone that really wants Allen or Mayfield (see what I did there) reclaim more than what they gave up and still draft Jensen or Minkah.

12 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I dont like Allen either but didn't he look pretty sharp at the combine? Most "experts" said he was the best looking qb there if im not mistaken. I know darnold didn't throw which he probably should have because he didn't have a great season

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

For those who are dismissing Allen based on his raw completion percentage, I would argue that you have to break the numbers down a bit further, which any NFL team is going to do in detail. When did Allen's accuracy break down -- what circumstances? The assumption is that he was throwing the ball "into the ocean" (to borrow a Hack phrase) while standing in a clean pocket -- that would be a major red flag and would frankly have dismissed him from consideration for the first four rounds of the draft, not just the first. Allen tends to try to force plays in tight windows while on the move. He tends to jump the pocket at time and creates a problem for himself precisely because he's over-confident of his arm strength to get him by.... a very common college problem. Sit Allen in the pocket, which NFL teams are going to work on with him, and watch his accuracy sky-rocket. I would argue that Allen is more a mental challenge for a coach than a talent-challenge. He's got the tools physically more than ANY of the prospects at the top of the draft. But he hasn't played to that strength enough in college. He likes to run as well, which adds to the tendency to work out of the pocket too much. He's not Aaron Rodgers on the move... by that token neither is Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, or Drew Brees, much less Peyton Manning. Allen has tremendous up-side. I would not have any problem with the Jets taking him if he's at #3, even over Rosen, and more so over Mayfield.

I certainly get the fact that he could bust. Frankly all of them could. Darnold could get bitch-slapped trying to run around like Johnny Manziel in the NFL, Rosen's durability and arm strength will be challenged, and Mayfield will have to show he's not Doug Flutie, part 2. Just think Allen is being under-valued based on a number that requires further examination.

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

i disagree ... this can go SO many ways.  If their top two QBs are off the board ... the can take Barkley ... OR ... they can trade down w someone that really wants Allen or Mayfield (see what I did there) reclaim more than what they gave up and still draft Jensen or Minkah.

they wouldn't have made the trade if they didn't have 3 QB's they beleived to be FQB's.  They just wouldn't have.  

Mac is fired April 27th if they don't take a QB at 3.  My guess is this won't even ultimately be Mac's call - ownership will make the final decision on this one.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

they wouldn't have made the trade if they didn't have 3 QB's they beleived to be FQB's.  They just wouldn't have.  

Mac is fired April 27th if they don't take a QB at 3.  My guess is this won't even ultimately be Mac's call - ownership will make the final decision on this one.

One thing is certain .. it makes this time of year a lot of fun.  Well see what happens ... its all entertainment.

17 hours ago, prime21 said:

Obviously they are done with whoever is 3rd on their list. I’m good if it’s Mayfield and ok if it’s Allen. We need any of the 4 period.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They made this move with the understanding that it was worth it to them even if they get the number three QB target on their list.  I'm fine with any of the 4.

19 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

I like Mayfield a lot. Have to admit the arm strength is concerning

I don't know why it would be, Mayfield had the 2nd strongest arm at the combine behind Allen.  According to Our Lads he threw 60+ MPH.  As a comparison , Hack who everyone is saying has a cannon threw 58. 

7 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

New York Jets: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/UCLA_logo.gif

UCLA_logo.gif 
The Jets will be looking for a new quarterback, and that is obvious in the wake of their trade to No. 3 overall (go here for my NFL Trade Grades.) Their preference could be Josh Allen, as Charlie Campbell pointed out in his Senior Bowl Rumor Mill. Allen, however, is off the board, but Josh Rosen is available. 

NFL coaches and owners are wary of the sort of things Rosen has discussed to the media, and his open views could hurt him. Scouts have told us that his teammates don't like him either, so that's a major strike against him. And for the cherry on top, even if his high school coach criticized him. Rosen was prolific in some big games last year, so that could push him into the top spot, but as Charlie Campbell reported, two NFL general managers have expressed major concern about Rosen. 

23 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Thread title says it all!

Let's be real here, the Jets made this trade to try and have the opportunity to draft Josh Rosen . If they miss out on Rosen, they will take a QB, but the "ONE" will have gotten away yet again .

Me personally, I have no interest in Sam Darnold, so there's that and hopefully he goes to Cleveland making that a non issue . I have this feeling that Josh Allen will crumble up and die under the pressure of NY the way ED whitson did . To me that leaves 2 other QBs, Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson both of who I feel can handle NY .  

Don't think the Jets would have traded up for Jackson, so that leaves Mayfield .

If the Jets have to settle on either Mayfield or Allen, they will, but let's be clear here, the Jets are targeting Josh Rosen .

So yea, it's Josh Rosen or this trade was a bust . 

15 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Let's be real here, the Jets made this trade to try and have the opportunity to draft Josh Rosen . If they miss out on Rosen, they will take a QB, but the "ONE" will have gotten away yet again .

Me personally, I have no interest in Sam Darnold, so there's that and hopefully he goes to Cleveland making that a non issue . I have this feeling that Josh Allen will crumble up and die under the pressure of NY the way ED whitson did . To me that leaves 2 other QBs, Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson both of who I feel can handle NY .  

Don't think the Jets would have traded up for Jackson, so that leaves Mayfield .

If the Jets have to settle on either Mayfield or Allen, they will, but let's be clear here, the Jets are targeting Josh Rosen .

So yea, it's Josh Rosen or this trade was a bust . 

What makes you say that with such certainty?  Have you heard something? (serious question) 

I've noticed there are plenty of people that beliefve Josh Rosen will be the 4th QB taken in this draft...I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

I have seen no indication from the Jets that they like him the most.  

I've said this before but I believe the Jets made this move because they beleive there are at least 3 FQB in this draft and would be happy to get any of them.  Sure they'll have an order in which they take them/like them but it's unlikely to be one target and it certanily won't be a failure in their eyes.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Could be misinformation but pretty much every reporter or insider who covers the Jets seems to be indicating they have Mayfield as the 4th QB. Certainly hope I'm wrong.

Mooglez is a Jets insider who come on this board and he's shared information that has almost always been true.  I trust his information over Cimini or Mehta...I am biased as I want Mayfield - but I hope her's right and the others are wrong...note - this was in another thread - I'm just pulling it from there.

Mogglez:

"To make a very long story short they're incredibly high on all of the top 4 with Rosen and Darnold at the very top, Mayfield and Allen just below, in that order. However, Baker Mayfield is about to make our top 2 (Rosen, Darnold) a top 3 if he does well in the private meeting/workout we set up with him.  He was incredibly impressive when we met with him for over 4 hours at the Senior Bowl, and even more so at the Combine.  Football IQ is off the charts.  Allen isn't dumb by any means.  In fact, I heard he tested better than expected on the white board.  However, he's just a little behind the other 3 in that regard. Obviously, where he makes up for this is his measurables and his arm that no one else comes close to."

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Mooglez is a Jets insider who come on this board and he's shared information that has almost always been true.  I trust his information over Cimini or Mehta...I am biased as I want Mayfield - but I hope her's right and the others are wrong...note - this was in another thread - I'm just pulling it from there.

Mogglez:

"To make a very long story short they're incredibly high on all of the top 4 with Rosen and Darnold at the very top, Mayfield and Allen just below, in that order. However, Baker Mayfield is about to make our top 2 (Rosen, Darnold) a top 3 if he does well in the private meeting/workout we set up with him.  He was incredibly impressive when we met with him for over 4 hours at the Senior Bowl, and even more so at the Combine.  Football IQ is off the charts.  Allen isn't dumb by any means.  In fact, I heard he tested better than expected on the white board.  However, he's just a little behind the other 3 in that regard. Obviously, where he makes up for this is his measurables and his arm that no one else comes close to."

either the jets moved mayfield or allen into their top 3 and made the trade, or they moved one of them sufficiently far away from the top 3.  it's likely that one of these things happened prior to making the trade.  

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

either the jets moved mayfield or allen into their top 3 and made the trade, or they moved one of them sufficiently far away from the top 3.  it's likely that one of these things happened prior to making the trade.  

While I agree with your first option I don't agree with the second - I think after Mayfields pro-day they made the trade - he got into their top 3. (Allen hasn't had his pro-day yet)  

There was too big of a chance that all 4 will be gone by the 6th pick and that was a risk they simply could not take.

28 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Now that it seems to be clear the Jets value Allen over Mayfield I agree, it's Rosen or bust. Giving up the three 2nd round picks for Josh Allen has the potential to be a complete disaster.

So if we get a guy that some predict to go #1 overall it's a disaster? Makes sense 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What makes you say that with such certainty?  Have you heard something? (serious question) 

I've noticed there are plenty of people that beliefve Josh Rosen will be the 4th QB taken in this draft...I certainly wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

I have seen no indication from the Jets that they like him the most.  

I've said this before but I believe the Jets made this move because they beleive there are at least 3 FQB in this draft and would be happy to get any of them.  Sure they'll have an order in which they take them/like them but it's unlikely to be one target and it certanily won't be a failure in their eyes.

@FidelioJet

I haven't heard anything and this is just my opinion . I based this on what I have seen, heard and belief based on the actions of the GM all year . If Sam Darnold is available, I think the Jets will take him but I also think the Browns will take him over Rosen .  One little move that might have went unknown helped me to jump to this conclusion . Mac  shaking the Hand of Rosen at his pro day appeared like two old friends followed by the awkward  hand shake to Marvin Lewis led me to my conclusion . 

On 3/17/2018 at 6:32 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This trade can only be evaluated after these QBs play. You have no idea which of these QBs will pan out. You aren't an expert and even experts are just making educated guesses. 

You're just giving us your hot take. 

While I definitely agree with you Jo Jo. I think the two best prospects are Darnold and Rosen. I would love to have the Jets land either one. With that being said there is no telling what they will be until they get into the thick of NFL play. Maybe Allen will be great, maybe Mayfield, Jackson or even Rudolph. You just don’t know but I support the move up.

Archived