Jameis Winston Suspended 3 Games

JetsFanatic

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So ... when Anderson got booked for his violation, the advice here was that he should take an Uber when on a night out. Maybe that advice needs to be revised if an Uber driver can get you booted for three games.

I'll be interested to see if there's any actual evidence on this, or is it another "he said she said" situation. After all, Reuben Foster was pretty much guilty until proven innocent.

10 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Surprised nobody’s mentioned this yet but what do you think we could get from Tampa for Teddy bridgewater if they decide to add a QB? Is it possible we could get a 3rd or 2nd round pick?

It would be stupid to trade him right now. Wait and see what happens. Bridges and Darnold could play great so Bridges will easily be worth a high first, if Darnold isn’t ready or just sucks we have a legitimate starter in Bridges and they could also keep both if Darnold is ready and better then Bridges so they have a good backup if there’s an injury. 

There's already some "cut Winston" talk happening in Tampa. With a $20.9M payday coming in 2019, who knows? 

Tampa columnist calls for Bucs to cut Jameis Winston

Posted by Mike Florio on June 21, 2018, 10:27 PM EDT
gettyimages-870558292-e1529634198357.jpg
Getty Images

The local backlash for Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston has begun.

With a three-game suspension looming for violation of the league’s Personal Conduct Policy in connection with a March 2016 incident involving an Uber driver, a columnist for the Tampa Bay Times urges the team to take the next step and release Winston.

“[W]hat did he do?” Tom Jones of the Times writes of Winston. “He allegedly grabbed a woman’s crotch against her will. That’s disgusting and reprehensible. This was more than partying that got a little out of hand. We need to call it what it was: sexual assault. And this isn’t the first time those awful two words have been associated with Winston. . . .

“The Bucs should send a message to the community that they do not accept, condone nor tolerate this kind of conduct. Not from anybody, but especially not from the starting quarterback and the face of the franchise. They should say that who they are and what they stand for as an organization means more than winning football games at any cost, including its integrity.”

If the Buccaneers decide to take extreme action against Winston, it would cost them nothing. His compensation of nearly $3.9 million for 2018 was fully guaranteed when Winston’s contract was signed, but the suspension most likely will void the guarantee. And his $20.9 million salary for 2019 is guaranteed for injury only until March of next year; if he’s released before then, the payment is avoided.

But the money isn’t the issue. The issue is whether the Buccaneers will be willing or able to tolerate keeping in their employment a franchise quarterback with a history of off-field incidents (including a rape allegation at Florida State) and a suspension for committing what indeed amounts to a sexual assault of a stranger who was being paid to give him a ride in a car.

What the Buccaneers ultimately do will be driven in large part by the local reaction to the suspension. Which could be why Winston’s camp hand picked a Jameis-friendly radio host in Tallahassee to leak the notion that Winston was being suspended simply for failing to report an allegation and not for the underlying behavior.

Winston and his team know that much more than three games ultimately rides on how this news is received and processed in Tampa. The same societal dynamics that prompted the Uber driver to come forward could cause this incident to take on a life of its own, possibly ending Winston’s career as a Buccaneer.

Where this goes may depend on the contents of the traditional letter informing Winston of his suspension. That letter likely will spell out in detail the basis for the punishment. It also will provide the starting point for what could become a viable push to pressure the Buccaneers to part ways with a player who has the potential to become a short-list franchise quarterback.

13 hours ago, Larz said:

driver alleged that Winston grabbed her crotch while the two were waiting in the drive-thru of a Mexican restaurant in Scottsdale, Arizona on March 13, 2016. 

The driver told BuzzFeed News that Winston "reached over" and "just grabbed my crotch." The driver also added that Winston kept his hand in place for three to five seconds and didn't remove it until she asked him, "What's up with that?"

giphy (9).gif

Bet he stiffed her on the tip.

12 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Between this, his weird finger licking pre-game pump up, and his bad play, it’s safe to say he sucks.

His play has been comparable to Teddy Bridgewater's on the field, and by comparable I mean better. 

#agenda

11 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Surprised nobody’s mentioned this yet but what do you think we could get from Tampa for Teddy bridgewater if they decide to add a QB? Is it possible we could get a 3rd or 2nd round pick?

Nothing, he’ll file a grievance and this suspension will be overturned

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Nothing, he’ll file a grievance and this suspension will be overturned

He can't. He and the league came to an agreement on the three games. He's definitely serving that, plus there's a provision that it can be extended if he fails to meet certain requirements. 

53 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It would be stupid to trade him right now. Wait and see what happens. Bridges and Darnold could play great so Bridges will easily be worth a high first, if Darnold isn’t ready or just sucks we have a legitimate starter in Bridges and they could also keep both if Darnold is ready and better then Bridges so they have a good backup if there’s an injury. 

Considering his past injury and how well he’s looked in OTAs and Minicamp, Bridgewaters stock might be the highest it’s going to go right now. I personally don’t mind if we keep him, but the opportunity with Winstons suspension is presenting itself. The Bucs planned on competing this year and remember, the Bucs backup is Fitz and their first 3 games of the year include the Saints, Steelers and Eagles. 

11 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

good thinking.....but he is only gone 3 games.....no more than a 5th

14 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Can't miss prospect, they said.

As safe as Andrew Luck, they said.

I'm an idiot for not agreeing, they said.

In the meantime Sam Darnold is at home reading through the playbook, sipping some chi tea and listening to classical music on his ear buds. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

His play has been comparable to Teddy Bridgewater's on the field, and by comparable I mean better. 

#agenda

TB5 was taken at the polar opposite spot in the first round and won as a QB when he was healthy.

And besides, isn’t Bridgewater known for being very safe with the football and a game manager like a Tyrod Taylor while Winston is a boom or bust QB on game day who turns the ball over too much?

The Winston v. Mariota debate is just about to come to an end.  FTR, I loved Mariota and hated Winston.

One is mature, one is not.

One is level headed, one is not.

One has no character concerns, the other has serious flags.

One is judicious with the ball.  One is wreckless.

One is mobile, one is more stationary.

Shall I go on...?

I cannot wait to necro the threads on the subject too...

19 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

TB5 was taken at the polar opposite spot in the first round and won as a QB when he was healthy.

And besides, isn’t Bridgewater known for being very safe with the football and a game manager like a Tyrod Taylor while Winston is a boom or bust QB on game day who turns the ball over too much?

Despite where they were drafted, there are people here pimping TB as a franchise QB, hence my little #agenda. 

Winston's int% is 2.8, compared to Bridgewater's 2.6. Not much of a difference there. But Winston's TD% is 4.5 compared to Teddy's 3.3, and Jameis also throws for more yards and more yards per attempt despite a lower comp% (which Winston has also been steadily improving).  

Winston is a bonehead, but he's a good QB. 

28 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Well since the NFL did an extensive investigation before deciding on a suspension I will assume there is.  

No. The suspension is for failing to report the incident for further investigation. By taking the punishment now and losing $1000s he avoids the risk of losing $Millions if it spills into 2019. 

41 minutes ago, jetrider said:

No. The suspension is for failing to report the incident for further investigation. By taking the punishment now and losing $1000s he avoids the risk of losing $Millions if it spills into 2019. 

Absolutely he is taking it now so he saves millions later.  I just don’t like it when posters always take the position that every investigation is made up and there is never any evidence.  The NFL, just like the police don’t conduct long term though investigations that show zero evidence and still suspend/arrest the innocent.   

24 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Absolutely he is taking it now so he saves millions later.  I just don’t like it when posters always take the position that every investigation is made up and there is never any evidence.  The NFL, just like the police don’t conduct long term though investigations that show zero evidence and still suspend/arrest the innocent.   

If innocent people never got arrested, there'd be no reason for trials. Problem with the NFL's justice system is that one man does the investigation and then tries the case in front of himself. 

29 minutes ago, slats said:

If innocent people never got arrested, there'd be no reason for trials. Problem with the NFL's justice system is that one man does the investigation and then tries the case in front of himself. 

I did not say innocent people don’t get arrested.  I said after extensive investigations I trust they don’t.  Most bad arrests happen spur of the moment from people that don’t slow down and think.   

Yes RG has all the power but I don’t believe he looks at an investigation that has gone on for months and sees there is zero evidence and says screw it I am still suspending 

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I'd take pre injury Bridgewater or Mariota any day of the week over Winston... Even if I didn't know anything about the off field issues.

The media has made Winston one of the most overrated players in the league.  He has a stacked offense, yet perpetually finds ways to lose or to underperform with that team. 

When I see Winston play, I see him make many poor reads, and he is known for inconsistent throws.   He basically lives or dies by throwing 50-50 jump balls to one of the best talents in the league, but that isn't going to give you long term success in the NFL.

Meanwhile Bridgewater had a great rookie season with very limited weapons.  He doesn't cause his team to lose, and can make a lot of great plays when necessary.  Tom Brady was like that too early in his career.  Take care of the football and slowly expand your range.

31 minutes ago, Hael said:

I'd take pre injury Bridgewater or Mariota any day of the week over Winston... Even if I didn't know anything about the off field issues.

The media has made Winston one of the most overrated players in the league.  He has a stacked offense, yet perpetually finds ways to lose or to underperform with that team. 

When I see Winston play, I see him make many poor reads, and he is known for inconsistent throws.   He basically lives or dies by throwing 50-50 jump balls to one of the best talents in the league, but that isn't going to give you long term success in the NFL.

Meanwhile Bridgewater had a great rookie season with very limited weapons.  He doesn't cause his team to lose, and can make a lot of great plays when necessary.  Tom Brady was like that too early in his career.  Take care of the football and slowly expand your range.

Agreed. Winston is vastly overrated mainly because he is a gifted passer. He just isn't very bright and lacks judgment. The kind of things you really can't teach. So when you watch him play, he can make all the throws and look spectacular at times, but I just don't seem him ever putting it together on the field. Tampa was one of the teams I originally feared would try to trade up for a QB.

8 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The Winston v. Mariota debate is just about to come to an end.  FTR, I loved Mariota and hated Winston.

One is mature, one is not.

One is level headed, one is not.

One has no character concerns, the other has serious flags.

One is judicious with the ball.  One is wreckless.

One is mobile, one is more stationary.

Shall I go on...?

I cannot wait to necro the threads on the subject too...

Just search Tom Shane’s posts. It would take you weeks to quote all of his anti-Mariota posts. So sure, so absolutely certain he was...

15 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Just search Tom Shane’s posts. It would take you weeks to quote all of his anti-Mariota posts. So sure, so absolutely certain he was...

Mariota is a perpetually injured cream puff milquetoast pussy. The Hawaiian Matt Ryan. Winston is a cornerstone player.

Archived